Miami or Tampa

Nanabella

Where are you considering cruising from? Tampa and Miami are more than 275 miles apart...at least a 4 hour drive. You wouldn't want to fly into one if you were cruising from the other, if that's what you're asking. Neither airport is very far from from the same city's cruise port.

Edited by njhorseman

Where are you considering cruising from? Tampa and Miami are more than 275 miles apart.

I don't think the OP is asking about flying into Miami but cruising from Tampa or vice versa. I read it as he/she is trying to decide between a cruise that leaves from each place and wants to know how easy it is to go from each city's respective airport to that city's cruise port, sightseeing options in each city etc.

Edited by waterbug123

I don't think the OP is asking about flying into Miami but cruising from Tampa or vice versa. I read it as he/she is trying to decide between a cruise that leaves from each place and wants to know how easy it is to go from each city's respective airport to that city's cruise port, sightseeing options in each city etc.

I guess you didn't bother to read the remainder of my post where I acknowledged that might not be what the OP was asking and mentioned that in both cities the airport wasn't far from the cruise port.

You will of course have more options cruise wise out of Miami. Or you can fly to Ft. Lauderdale and take a shuttle if you are cruising out of Miami if those flights work better for you. Tampa is, in my opinion, much easier to get around; its a smaller city.

Tampa airport and cruise port far easier to deal with, but the things to do and see far greater in the Miami/South Beach area. Be aware that fog, while an unusual event in Tampa, can disrupt sailing schedules because it can shut down the channel entering the harbor.

Not sure where you are flying in from, but if coming from outside the US, Tampa is the only option , if you have some time to spare and can drive to Miami. Look at the reviews on Airlinequality.com and you will see that Miami is a disaster. Obviously if you are cruising out of Miami and are on a tight schedule it makes sense to fly into Miami and 'grin and bear' the immigration procedure, if you have no other option.

For our next cruise, out of FLL, we are flying into Boston for a couple of days, before flying down to FLL, purely to avoid the misery that is Miami.

How early are you planning on arriving to the port? If a day or so and you get a car you and hit Busch Gardens in Tampa or slide over to the Orlando area and hit the stuff in the land of the mouse. Or depending on the time of the year there are a bunch of baseball teams that have spring training in the Tampa area.

Frankly- it needs to be the right mix for you. Determine WHAT you want to do with your time, go to Disneyland? spend time on the Gulf? or tour the Everglades, Key West??

Have any cruise port/itinerary/ship preferences? More limited out of Tampa.