Australia cracks 1 million cruisers!

Hello Australia

We've broken a bunch of world records in the latest cruise industry figures released today:

- more than one million passengers in a calendar year, for the first time

- the world's fastest growing source of cruise passengers, again

- world's #1 in cruise market penetration (percentage of population cruising)

- the first nation to exceed 4 per cent market penetration in cruising history.

More stats from CLIA Australasia in our news story here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=6378

Louise Goldsbury

Senior Editor

Cruise Critic Australia

Yes AussieFF, 6 cruises counts you 6 times. So it's technically not one million different people. A couple on 6 cruises is counted as 12. If your family of 4 cruised 6 times, that's counted as 24.

There are 5 of us.

Plus a couple of them also included extended family.:D

Won't Aussies get bored with the limited destinations for cruising down under after a while? Once you've done NZ and SouthPacific, there's not much else. And most of the itineries are quite similar, I guess due to the large ships being limited to certain ports. The only cruises that look a bit more interesting are on the small, very expensive lines.

Won't Aussies get bored with the limited destinations for cruising down under after a while? Once you've done NZ and SouthPacific, there's not much else. And most of the itineries are quite similar, I guess due to the large ships being limited to certain ports. The only cruises that look a bit more interesting are on the small, very expensive lines.

Not us.

We go for the cruise, we don't care where the ship is going.

Been to all of them many times.

I can't justify flying half way across the world, paying for 5, which would double the price, when the Pacific Islands are some of the most beautiful in the world.:D

Probably why we love the fun and activities of RCI.:D

Not to mention the free drinks. :)

Edited by Aussie FF

I would not think so at lest for the new cruisers who have never been to the South Pacific, New Zealand or local Australia cruises,

but on the under hand maybe for those who have done the South Pacific and New Zealand to death (like us we have been around New Zealand twice now, and dont really want to do NZ again, unless we want to try a new ship etc..),

but for me I am happy to do a 10 + day cruise up to the South Pacific, as in some of the ports/places we have been to before I can still find thing I have not done yet or found new thing to do there.

And also as we have been to many of the South Pacific ports before, we can just relax and take it easy and not worry about rushing of the ship etc...

And Qld Coast

And PNG

And Tas

Ans Northern Explorer to Perth

And KI

And Southern Explorer to Perth

And Circumnavigation

And Trans Pacific

And Hawaii

And Round the World

Possibly best range of itineraries open to any country.

And then hop on a plane and all the others open up.

And Qld Coast

And PNG

And Tas

And KI

And Circumnavigation

And Trans Pacific

And Hawaii

And Round the World

And multiply that by three for different itineraries for the same destination

and that by say 20 for different ships.

Then add in the cruises to nowhere.

And Qld Coast

And PNG

And Tas

And KI

And Circumnavigation

And Trans Pacific

And Hawaii

And Round the World

I agree, plus Australia/NZ being safe countries is a big attraction, in the current world climate.

The cruiselines just need to be more innovative with their itineraries.

Queensland Coast in our winter is a winner (we know we live here)

Darwin, via Queensland, in our winter

More distant South Pacific Islands from Auckland, as a hub.

Cook Islands, Tahitian Islands, etc.

Longer Cruises -

Circumnavigation of Australia seems to be a winner. Plus Top Half and Bottom Half, for those short of time, or plus Indian Pacific (Rail)

Circumnavigation of Tasmania plus Kangaroo Island and Adelaide

Circumnavigation of PNG

Hawaii and its Outer Islands

Trans Pacific via North Pacific Islands

We are really blessed for cruising opportunities in this part of the world, after all we live on an island.

It think the biggest thing having repeat customers is the value (perceived or not) that cruising offers, itineraries play a part but if the cost is low enough, people will cruise the same destinations again.:D

To each his own of course, but when there are so many places in the world to see I can't see a lot of sense in going back and back and back again to NZ/Pacific Islands or any repeat destinations for that matter. I would rather save those costs and do something new. But as I said, to each his own.:)

To each his own of course, but when there are so many places in the world to see I can't see a lot of sense in going back and back and back again to NZ/Pacific Islands or any repeat destinations for that matter. I would rather save those costs and do something new. But as I said, to each his own.:)

I guess it depends on whether you cruise to visit different destinations or cruise to enjoy relaxing on the ocean. For some people, of course, it could be both depending on what they want at the time.

I could happily cruise to the South Pacific a couple of times a year because I love the sea days more than the port days. I'd never get bored with the ports just as I never get bored with a day out at local beaches. However I do want to cruise to other places as well so will vary the itineraries I choose at times.

So are the figures only including Aussies on ex Aussie port cruises?

Or for example does it include an Aussie on an Alaskan cruise?

Curious minds want to know :D

And FWIW I agree multiple times to one place is not a problem for me as I can then kick back and relax I hate rushing on holidays.

So are the figures only including Aussies on ex Aussie port cruises?

Or for example does it include an Aussie on an Alaskan cruise?

Curious minds want to know :D

And FWIW I agree multiple times to one place is not a problem for me as I can then kick back and relax I hate rushing on holidays.

I believe it is Aussies on cruises wherever in the world they may be cruising.:D