Captain Mercer

I believe Captain Mercer is on a well deserved vacation after the World Cruise and Captain Eversen is on the Amsterdam for the beginning of the Alaska season. We were on the Amsterdam in early September of 2014 and Captain Mercer was at the helm then. I suspect he does the later in the summer Alaska cruises to give Captain Eversen a break.

Does anyone know which Captain Mercer is on now? I am curious if he's in Alaska.

likely on leave right now as he has been the regular captain for the world cruise the last few years and that has just recently wrapped up

John: Does he stay on the entire World Cruise?

Given Copper 10-8's previous response and the information provided in the blogs of those onboard during the 2015 World Cruise, the poor man has to have the patience of Job in dealing with all of the issues that geopolitics provide as well as guests who refuse to be cooperative when dealing with health, immigration, etc. issues during the cruise.

There's likely a reason he is the Captain chosen to do WC. :)

His special talents and abilities are an asset. :)

Then again,,,,,,,,, maybe some of the other Captains run screaming into the night at the thought of dealing with some of the personalities for all those months.!!!!! :D

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks everybody for the info about Capt. Mercer. On our last HAL Alaskan cruise aboard the Oosterdam, he performed our vow renewal ceremony. He is such a nice guy and since we are considering a fourth Alaskan cruise this year, I was hoping he would be on one of the Alaskan ships.

We sailed with Captain Mercer the third week of August in 2013 to Alaska. He was a pleasure to sail with. I would assume he is back on the Amsterdam around the same time each Alaskan season.

Laurie

Captain Mercer usually winds up his blog at the end of each World Cruise

but this year it ended very abruptly on April 23rd in the Azores.

I agree with the poster who noted that the captain must have the patience of a saint, as anyone who follows the WC blogs would figure.

There's likely a reason he is the Captain chosen to do WC. :)

His special talents and abilities are an asset. :)

Then again,,,,,,,,, maybe some of the other Captains run screaming into the night at the thought of dealing with some of the personalities for all those months.!!!!! :D

I certainly would!

He is so fabulous and makes the WC run smoothly (at least what we can 'see'). Like the fact he is often seen around the ship, eats lunch in the Lido, often dinner in the MDR, will make a few minutes to chat when he can. His wife is even nicer and does she know the places to shop for the best deals. Love that they are doing the WC again in 2016.