Considering B2B on Royal...How Does It Work?

I'm looking at the possibility of doing a B2B. Anyone who has done one previously...tell me about your experience. Do you get off the ship after the first leg, or do you stay onboard? How about keeping the same cabin for the entire sailing? Please tell me anything that you think I might need to know about doing a 2 week cruise. Thanks in advance! :)

I'm looking at the possibility of doing a B2B. Anyone who has done one previously...tell me about your experience. Do you get off the ship after the first leg, or do you stay onboard? How about keeping the same cabin for the entire sailing? Please tell me anything that you think I might need to know about doing a 2 week cruise. Thanks in advance! :)

If your changeover day is in a US port, then you will usually get off the ship briefly, and get back on. It's best to have the same stateroom both legs to avoid having to pack and unpack again.

Edited by clarea

Bob, I've always wondered about that. I've kinda been told a couple of different stories; that you can stay onboard and go to the pool deck or some specific gathering place for B2B'ers. Or you may be asked to disembark the ship, and re-board with a new Sea Pass card.

I thoroughly agree with you that it makes better sense to book the same cabin for both legs of the sailing. I'd HATE to unpack a second time!

Bob, I've always wondered about that. I've kinda been told a couple of different stories; that you can stay onboard and go to the pool deck or some specific gathering place for B2B'ers. Or you may be asked to disembark the ship, and re-board with a new Sea Pass card.

I thoroughly agree with you that it makes better sense to book the same cabin for both legs of the sailing. I'd HATE to unpack a second time!

It's a good idea to visit Guest Services early in the first cruise and confirm that they know you are a consecutive cruiser. That will ensure you get the letter with the details of the B2B process on that particular cruise.

Here is one experience I read about a few months back:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2155768&page=7

Start at post #243. Also, he has more in post #259 you should read.

Good info I think.

YMMV of course as this may handled completely different on other ships/ports/times/etc.

Edited by NightOne

Easy. You meet about 9 to 10 am and recheck in either on board or in terminal then go back on board or on shore. You have the run of the ship all day and can renter your room anytime. Staying in same room is the best but if u have to move no big deal. I just easily put fold clothes in cases and the room attendant will bring a hanging cart for your closet things

Here is one experience I read about a few months back:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2155768&page=7

Start at post #243. Also, he has more in post #259 you should read.

Good info I think.

YMMV of course as this may handled completely different on other ships/ports/times/etc.

Carl, thanks for the link. I'll read it through.

We only do b2b cruises, but our last b2b, which was last month, turnaround day was not what we were expecting. Turnaround day is supposed to be fun, but it was anything but fun.

We were on Legend through the Panama Canal from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego and on the first cruise we had 166 people with Noro virus. Because of the high percentage of cases, once we reached San Diego, everyone had to leave the ship. This was ordered by the CDC. Boarding did not start until after 3PM.

There were 37 consecutive cruisers on board and we were advised to pack up all of our things into our suitcases (even if we were staying in the same cabin) and this included everything hanging in the closet. Once everything was packed we were to place the luggage back into the closet. All bedding was removed from all cabins, mattress stood on end and then every cabin was fogged.

We had to be out of our cabins by 8AM. For consecutive cruisers they offered us a complimentary excursion that left the port at about 9:30 and we returned at 3. Thankfully we did have "in-transit" cards, which allowed us to bypass all the very annoyed people that were waiting to board in the terminal.

Consecutive cruises had to wait to access their cabins like everyone else. Fortunately for us, our cabin attendant saw us and our room was ready, so he let us into our room to unpack again!

The following cruise everyone was being served in the WJ for the first 12 days of the cruise. This was fine, except there were those that had no idea where the queue began or ended.

So, the point of my post is, be prepared for anything on a b2b and turnaround day............and please wash your hands. :)

Edited by cruisenfever

We only do b2b cruises, but our last b2b, which was last month, turnaround day was not what we were expecting. Turnaround day is supposed to be fun, but it was anything but fun.

We were on Legend through the Panama Canal from Ft Lauderdale to San Diego and on the first cruise we had 166 people with Noro virus. Because of the high percentage of cases, once we reached San Diego, everyone had to leave the ship. This was ordered by the CDC. Boarding did not start until after 3PM.

There were 37 consecutive cruisers on board and we were advised to pack up all of our things into our suitcases (even if we were staying in the same cabin) and this included everything hanging in the closet. Once everything was packed we were to place the luggage back into the closet. All bedding was removed from all cabins, mattress stood on end and then every cabin was fogged.

We had to be out of our cabins by 8AM. For consecutive cruisers they offered us a complimentary excursion that left the port at about 9:30 and we returned at 3. Thankfully we did have "in-transit" cards, which allowed us to bypass all the very annoyed people that were waiting to board in the terminal.

Consecutive cruises had to wait to access their cabins like everyone else. Fortunately for us, our cabin attendant saw us and our room was ready, so he let us into our room to unpack again!

The following cruise everyone was being served in the WJ for the first 12 days of the cruise. This was fine, except there were those that had no idea where the queue began or ended.

So, the point of my post is, be prepared for anything on a b2b and turnaround day............and please wash your hands. :)

Have done many B2B's as this is my preferred cruise vacation. And can honestly say that your experience is about as rare as it gets for B2B. Anything is possible but your experience is very rare to say the least...K.O.

Depending on your cruise and if your departing from a Foreign Port the process can change. As Bob said if your leaving from a US Port and returning, you will need to exit your room for cleaning, they may issue you your new Sea pass Cards that morning, then your free to leave the ship. They will have a meeting near the end of the cruise to explain the procedure. When we came off the Transpacific from Sydney to Honolulu, we could pick up our new cards at 6 AM to 9 AM at Guest Relations or in the dining room after 9 AM.

It's a good idea to visit Guest Services early in the first cruise and confirm that they know you are a consecutive cruiser. That will ensure you get the letter with the details of the B2B process on that particular cruise.

Good idea to "repost" Bob's point.

We are not as experienced as many, but for the three times we've done it- it's been slightly different.

First time- had a meeting in a conference room the day before, got our cards at the time, met in the morning, got off, got on. (side story- it was my wife's B-Day, and pointed that out to the customs guy- he used an actual stamp for us that day- very cool). Got a special lunch for all the consecutive cruisers.

Second time- just got a note that we should all meet in a lounge. Got there- they had no idea why we were there. Uh, we are on the next cruise. Much confusion. Took some work to fix it, as our new seapass cards didn't work.

Third time was the same ship as first. Got a note to meet in the morning. Met, got new cards, got off, got on. That was it. Well, except that as we were getting back on, Guest Services were looking for us- got an upgrade! So we had to move. Which was fine given the nice upgrade we got.

All experiences were a different. So just be ready and flexible. You will still end up on the ship WAY before everyone else- which is really cool.

I suspect that someday we will be just like cruisenfever- taking all B2Bs. Which for the same amount of time on a ship/year- saves a lot of flight money.

We did our first B2B last year and now it's the only way my husband will cruise.

When you fill out your docs online prior to sailing, make sure you indicate you're a consecutive cruiser. We stayed in the same room, and everything about disembarkation day was clearly communicated to us prior to that day.

They had a nice luncheon for us in the MDR while others were boarding. Not sure if all ships do this, or if they'll do it again for us this year, but we enjoyed it.

We did our first B2B last year and now it's the only way my husband will cruise.

When you fill out your docs online prior to sailing, make sure you indicate you're a consecutive cruiser. We stayed in the same room, and everything about disembarkation day was clearly communicated to us prior to that day.

They had a nice luncheon for us in the MDR while others were boarding. Not sure if all ships do this, or if they'll do it again for us this year, but we enjoyed it.

This is a great point - when you are filling out your first cruise docs and indicate consecutive as your departure info it fills in some of your data into the second set of docs (including arrival info). Otherwise you get to fill out all your info twice. Of course, like anything on the web site, YMMV.

This is a great point - when you are filling out your first cruise docs and indicate consecutive as your departure info it fills in some of your data into the second set of docs (including arrival info). Otherwise you get to fill out all your info twice. Of course, like anything on the web site, YMMV.

Good information, thank you! We are doing our first B2B next February, so I have been following this thread with interest. From what I have been reading, it seems the process varies by port, and even by ship.

Anyone have a recent B2B experience on Brilliance out of Tampa?

cjdixon, thanks for starting this thread, I just started to do some searching on CC on this topic :D

Have done many B2B's as this is my preferred cruise vacation. And can honestly say that your experience is about as rare as it gets for B2B. Anything is possible but your experience is very rare to say the least...K.O.

Since we only do b2bs this turnaround day was not in the lease bit rare. This is the 3rd time we've experience this type of turnaround day. The first was on Splendour in 2008 when we got to Sao Paulo, Brazil and the second time was in September of 2011 in Sydney Australia.

As I said initially, be prepared for anything. Turnaround day is handled differently in each port and in each country.

I've done a B2B on the same ship 2011 an a B2B on two different ships 2015 April

On the 2011 B2B Liberty

All the people who were doing the B2B had to Meet in the Diamond Lounge

a few days before the end if the 1st Leg there were so many of us the we over-flowed into Olive or Twist so a staff member used a chair to hold open the DL door :rolleyes: of course a Diamond Snob removed it :rolleyes:

Several of the ships Depts. offered discounts to all B2B we were giving several paper cupons, also we given the choice of what times we wanted to attend the entertainment and IIRC we were asked if any of us wanted to to be seated together in the MDR.

The day of the second leg started we had to meet up in front of the DL

ONE staff member was put in charge of taking all the B2B Passengers Down to the Port to took 3 elevator rides, so there we were waiting to be seen by US Customs around 20 mins after ALL the B2B people were down I saw someone from Royal on their walkie-talkie a fair bit.

We were then informed that Customs had changed their mind and we would NOT have to go see Customs then we were allowed to re-board the

Edited by Swath
Formatting

I did a B2B in Dubai and we did not have to get off the ship for customs. We met in Viking lounge night before and got new cards.

I was changing cabins and my room steward informed my new room steward several days in advance so my old room was cleaned last and my new room done first. I slept until 9am, dressed and tossed the loose items in my suitcase. My room steward loaded it and all my hanging clothes on a luggage dolly and off we went to my new room. Clothes in closet and all done. Entire move and unpacking took 15 min.

It was a nice relaxing day. I realize the next one may not be so simple but this was wonderful.

cjdixon, thanks for starting this thread, I just started to do some searching on CC on this topic :D

My pleasure niksmom...

I've been thinking about a b2b for a few years, but just didn't quite understand how it worked. The information has been quite good.

My pleasure niksmom...

I've been thinking about a b2b for a few years, but just didn't quite understand how it worked. The information has been quite good.

Judi, just be forewarned, that once you do a b2b there is no turning back!:D

It's all about the value!

My wife and I just traded our 2016 9 days in a GS on the Jewel for a 14 day b2b in an aft JS on the Adventure (my wife's chosen location with the larger balcony overlooking the wake) and are only paying a couple hundred dollars more.

It's our first b2b and I'm already excited about the next one.