Finally the end of the BOGOHO promotion

I have not followed RCCL cruises that closely until the last two weeks, but right now an online site has the June 19th sailing of Radiance OTS priced at $454pp ($355pp military) ;)

I would be willing to bet it was never priced that low before final payment. :cool:

I have taken advantage of late pricing deals for almost all of my cruises. Fares that the vast majority of people absolutely refuse to believe possible, including a 23 night transpacific last fall for only $799pp. :eek:

I agree completely that timing is everything when booking a cruise. Later CAN be (but obviously isn't always) significantly less expensive.

If people have all the flexibility in the world, I am sure people that book close to sail date can get a good deal at times....but lets also remember this, that booking is getting whatever cabin categories are remaining....and for many that may not be the kind of cabin on the deck that they want.

I wonder how this will work for solo travellers? My understanding with the BOGOH is that you essentially end up paying 150% (instead of 200%).

With the 30-30 deal, do you think solos will pay 170% or 140%?

It's my experience, that they NEVER drop below the lowest fare that has been offered for the cruise since the sail date was released. The timing of booking a cruise is everything.
We cruised on the Oasis in Feb. 2015 in two D2 ocean view balcony cabins. I originally booked online through RCI, then transferred the reservation to a TA through a program that gave us a 5% rebate (of the basic cruise fare) on our credit card.

I don't know what the fare was when the sail date was first released. However, we experienced TWO price drops after booking, plus somehow received $100 OBC/cabin with the second drop. The following prices include all taxes, port fees & prepaid gratuities. I believe that all of them were booked under BOGOHO. The drop dates are when I noticed the lower price and called the TA.

I first booked this cruise on 8/24/2014 at $3,517/cabin

On 9/18/2014, the price dropped to $3,377 ($140 less/cabin)

On 10/23/14, the price dropped again to $3,262 ($255 less than original price, $115 less than 9/18 price) PLUS, we got $100/cabin OBC. (I don't know what the special offer was, but the TA informed us of it.)

This may be a rarity, but I continue to check prices on future cruises almost every day, figuring I might get lucky again.

I wonder how this will work for solo travellers? My understanding with the BOGOH is that you essentially end up paying 150% (instead of 200%).

With the 30-30 deal, do you think solos will pay 170% or 140%?

All their flyer states is "Single occupancy guests paying less than 200% cruise fare will be eligible for a prorated value of the Offer." I would imagine that it would translate to 140%. Just like the 30/30 will give people 10% more than the BOGOHO 50%. Unfortunately, unless there are glitches on the rollout, Royal will increase their fares accordingly.

Here's hoping for June 1st glitches in our favor.

~ Judy

It's my experience, that they NEVER drop below the lowest fare that has been offered for the cruise since the sail date was released. The timing of booking a cruise is everything.

Well, your experience must NOT be 100% accurate.

Our total cruise cost when booked last October for our Category D1 Cabin was $9,867.64.

Today the same Category D1 cabin is $8,225.27

So, if I waited and purchased today, which is 3 weeks prior to sailing, I would have saved $1,642.37 on this cruise.

Well, your experience must NOT be 100% accurate.

Our total cruise cost when booked last October for our Category D1 Cabin was $9,867.64.

Today the same Category D1 cabin is $8,225.27

So, if I waited and purchased today, which is 3 weeks prior to sailing, I would have saved $1,642.37 on this cruise.

I think you might have misunderstood my post or perhaps I did not explain it properly. What I'm attemting to say is that after final payment is due, prices do and will drop, but it is my experience that these drops do not drop below the lowest fare that was offered at any time. I have thoroughly followed four cruise fares from inception or relase date to the sail date. Not one of the four cruises had the after final due fares ever drop below the lowest fare that was ever offered for the cruise.

While the example you've posted shows a significant drop, it shows only a drop from your booking fare, $9867.64, the cruise fare most likely was offered at a lower price at one point, prior to you booking. The price of $8225.27 today is most likely higher than and/or the same price as the lowest cruise fare that was ever offered for this cruise. I'm not doubting that prices drop, they just don't drop below the lowest cruise fare that's been offered. At least this is my experience.

There are a few sites that monitor cruise fares. The one I use also will line item the privces/dates and uses a trendline graph as well. Unfortunately, it only begins the monitoring process when you command it to do so. In otherwords, it won't tell you previous fare history. Just when you begin the process.

We cruised on the Oasis in Feb. 2015 in two D2 ocean view balcony cabins. I originally booked online through RCI, then transferred the reservation to a TA through a program that gave us a 5% rebate (of the basic cruise fare) on our credit card.

I don't know what the fare was when the sail date was first released. However, we experienced TWO price drops after booking, plus somehow received $100 OBC/cabin with the second drop. The following prices include all taxes, port fees & prepaid gratuities. I believe that all of them were booked under BOGOHO. The drop dates are when I noticed the lower price and called the TA.

I first booked this cruise on 8/24/2014 at $3,517/cabin

On 9/18/2014, the price dropped to $3,377 ($140 less/cabin)

On 10/23/14, the price dropped again to $3,262 ($255 less than original price, $115 less than 9/18 price) PLUS, we got $100/cabin OBC. (I don't know what the special offer was, but the TA informed us of it.)

This may be a rarity, but I continue to check prices on future cruises almost every day, figuring I might get lucky again.

It's not really a rarity and you should continue to monitor the fares daily. Having said this, it also appears that you purchased the cruise at a peak price. I'm happy the fare came back down for you and you were able to save some monies.

Enjoy your cruise!

I have not followed RCCL cruises that closely until the last two weeks, but right now an online site has the June 19th sailing of Radiance OTS priced at $454pp ($355pp military) ;)

I would be willing to bet it was never priced that low before final payment. :cool:

I have taken advantage of late pricing deals for almost all of my cruises. Fares that the vast majority of people absolutely refuse to believe possible, including a 23 night transpacific last fall for only $799pp. :eek:

I agree completely that timing is everything when booking a cruise. Later CAN be (but obviously isn't always) significantly less expensive.

So it's not the RCL online website, correct? Because the rates that's being discussed. The RCL published fares. The lowest published fare from RCL this cruise & for a guaranteed Q cabin (interior) is $786/pp.

Whatever. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If it's a better price, great. Book it.

If it's the same price, who cares? If you want to go , book it.

If it's a higher price, well, you missed out on the lower price because you didn't book earlier. Sorry. Book it or not. It's up to you.

That advice stands whether there are promotions, sales or not. Just book at a total price you are happy with, keep an eye open until final payment for any price drops, and then stop looking (unless you are holding out for a minimal cost upgrade).

Exactly.

I have limited flexibility since I have to work around a traditional school schedule. Is it safe to assume that high season, such as Easter, Xmas, New Years...is going to have limited flexibility with their pricing? My gut says it's not worth looking for deals or money savers during peak times.

I have limited flexibility since I have to work around a traditional school schedule. Is it safe to assume that high season, such as Easter, Xmas, New Years...is going to have limited flexibility with their pricing? My gut says it's not worth looking for deals or money savers during peak times.

Hard to say, since the new promo has not started. I suspect that they will handle pricing the same way they did BOGOHO. Even though BOGOHO applied to all cruises, not all cruise prices were really lowered. On cruises whose prices they really didn't want lowered, they just raised the "normal" price right before the promo started.

I think you might have misunderstood my post or perhaps I did not explain it properly. What I'm attemting to say is that after final payment is due, prices do and will drop, but it is my experience that these drops do not drop below the lowest fare that was offered at any time. I have thoroughly followed four cruise fares from inception or relase date to the sail date. Not one of the four cruises had the after final due fares ever drop below the lowest fare that was ever offered for the cruise.

While the example you've posted shows a significant drop, it shows only a drop from your booking fare, $9867.64, the cruise fare most likely was offered at a lower price at one point, prior to you booking. The price of $8225.27 today is most likely higher than and/or the same price as the lowest cruise fare that was ever offered for this cruise. I'm not doubting that prices drop, they just don't drop below the lowest cruise fare that's been offered. At least this is my experience.

There are a few sites that monitor cruise fares. The one I use also will line item the privces/dates and uses a trendline graph as well. Unfortunately, it only begins the monitoring process when you command it to do so. In otherwords, it won't tell you previous fare history. Just when you begin the process.

They do and they have dropped to their lowest price ever after final payment.

I booked a B2B2B on the monarch for Christmas and New Years 2012 two weeks prior to sailing. Got a great deal at $159pp for 2 of the cruises and $199 for the other cruise. No special rates just regular dropped prices.

I don't doubt what you have experienced with your cruises but there certainly are lots of cases where the prices have dropped to their lowest price after final payment.

I am hearing that all passengers will be required to work 30 hours per week in either house keeping or dining services to be able to afford going on a RCCL cruise. No word on if we get to keep part of the tips yet. :cool:

That is too funny!!:)

The GS I have booked for the 4 of us went up by about $830. That's slightly less than the difference of eliminating the half off for the 3rd/4th pax. So if we had booked for just 2, there would have been a small increase in price to the tune of about $30.

Just an FYI, but appears the C&A Balcony discount is applied before the 30% discount on Pax 1 is taken, so you only get 70% of the value of the balcony discount.

The GS I have booked for the 4 of us went up by about $830. That's slightly less than the difference of eliminating the half off for the 3rd/4th pax. So if we had booked for just 2, there would have been a small increase in price to the tune of about $30.

Just an FYI, but appears the C&A Balcony discount is applied before the 30% discount on Pax 1 is taken, so you only get 70% of the value of the balcony discount.

Yep, it seems that the sale causes a huge increase in prices when you have 3rd/4th passengers. I'm so angry that I didn't put a deposit down yesterday on the Allure sailing that I'm considering. I just got back from my Oasis cruise, and wasn't really paying attention to this new sale, as I figured it was just going to be another BOGOHO sale and the price would remain the same... The price for the GS increased about $600, however, with the increase, it is not that far out of budget, so I might still book and just hope for a price drop. :mad::mad::mad: