Paris on our own

Since you have never been to Paris before, you might want to consider taking an excursion offered by your ship. ;)

LuLu

I suspect that OP is considering the ship excursion for Paris On Your Own and asking if six hours in the city is worth the travel time. If that is correct, I'd say it depends on how badly you want to see something of Paris. It is a long bus ride from Le Havre, but it's Paris! It isn't ideal but if it's your only chance to get there, it's may be worth it. If the bus drops you at Place de la Concorde, you can easily walk to the Champs Élysées, Tuileries, the Louvre and/or Musee D'Orsay. If you want to go farther afield, Google the Bateau Bus and consider taking that along the Seine or braving the Metro to the Eiffel Tower. Do a little reading on Rick Steves' (he has a walking tour) or Fodor's website for travel tips of things you can do on your own in one day there.

Have about 6 hours if we take the bus from le Havre.

We have never been there may never go back- anybody have any strategies to get the most out of our time. Is it even possible

You'll go back. I don't know how people can go to Paris and not want to go back.

As for strategies, I think a Seine River one hour cruise is a must and it will give you beautiful views of the city, including Eiffel Tower. You can do that as hop on hop off as well on the batobus. http://www.batobus.com/en/FAQ.html I would avoid Louvre for many reasons, most of which is lines. Here are the stops on the boat.

Seine River Hop-On Hop-Off Cruise Stops:

Eiffel Tower

Musée d'Orsay

Saint-Germain-des-Prés

Notre Dame Cathedral

Jardin des Plantes

Hôtel de Ville

Louvre Museum (between Pont Royal and Pont du Carrousel)

Champs Elysées

If you want a good skip the lines tour for Eiffel Tower, go to Cultivar's site and book the Behind the Scenes Tour. It's 90 minutes and a great take.

http://www.cultival.fr/en/visites/behind-the-scenes-of-the-eiffel-tower-369

Edited by hubofhockey

I suspect that OP is considering the ship excursion for Paris On Your Own and asking if six hours in the city is worth the travel time. If that is correct, I'd say it depends on how badly you want to see something of Paris. It is a long bus ride from Le Havre, but it's Paris! It isn't ideal but if it's your only chance to get there, it's may be worth it. If the bus drops you at Place de la Concorde, you can easily walk to the Champs Élysées, Tuileries, the Louvre and/or Musee D'Orsay. If you want to go farther afield, Google the Bateau Bus and consider taking that along the Seine or braving the Metro to the Eiffel Tower. Do a little reading on Rick Steves' (he has a walking tour) or Fodor's website for travel tips of things you can do on your own in one day there.

We did the "Paris On Our Own" excursion thru Princess which worked for us because we had already been to Paris a couple of times before and knew what we wanted to do.

The OP hasn't been to Paris previously so might benefit from a guided tour.

Agree with you. It's very worth the long drive. I enjoyed looking at the countryside along the way. :)

LuLu

LuLu

We have been to Paris several times and it is a wonderful city. However, even using the METRO to get around, you will burn a lot of time just moving about from place to place.

Frankly, I would say that you should go to Normandy instead, which is wonderful.

Go back to Paris when you have a week to spend there.

If you insist on going to Paris for a few hours, take a tour.

We have been to Paris several times and it is a wonderful city. However, even using the METRO to get around, you will burn a lot of time just moving about from place to place.

Frankly, I would say that you should go to Normandy instead, which is wonderful.

Go back to Paris when you have a week to spend there.

If you insist on going to Paris for a few hours, take a tour.

I have been to Paris ten times and would also NOT recommend you go for a few hours. You short change yourself unless you jus want to be able to say that you have been there.A Normandy tour would be a great alternative.

We did a British Isles cruise in 2012 and did "Paris on Your Own" using the ship's tour. We were with another couple and worked out the details of what we want to see. Here's a copy of our trip log for that day:

Friday May 25. Today we booked a ship's tour – Paris on Your Own. Basically we paid for a bus to take us from the ship into Paris and get us back in time before the ship sailed. We had a very early breakfast in the buffet, and went to the ship's theater to await our tour group being called. The trip into Paris was uneventful and took about three hours. The scenery along the way was nice. Arriving in Paris we rode down the Champs Elysee, past the Arc de Triomphe and were let off near the Place de la Concorde. Luckily, we quickly found a taxi that would transport four people (many taxis won't) and we rode to Notre Dame Cathedral. We walked around the outside, taking pictures as we went. On the north side of the Cathedral under the rose window is a sidewalk cafe we discovered on the Internet called La Rosace. We ate lunch there, a ham and cheese sandwich for us and crêpes for our friends. We took advantage of their free restroom. After lunch we got in the long but fast moving queue to visit the inside of this vast church. In spite of the wall-to-wall people we were able to take a few pictures and admire the architecture. Leaving the church, we walked past the flower market and in front of St. Chapelle. We then crossed the Seine River and started walking along the river towards our bus pick-up point. Karen was able to purchase an oil painting of the Arc de Triomphe along the way. When we came to the Louvre, we walked through a large archway into a courtyard. A second archway took us to the famous glass pyramid. Lots of photos were taken. We continued on through the Tuileries Gardens and around the Place de la Concorde. It was time to return to the pick-up point for our return to the ship. On the way back we drove past the Eiffel Tower, which we had only seen from a distance, so we had a great photo opportunity. Traffic was a bit heavy as we rode back to Le Havre and got worse as we neared the ship. Finally we were there, and quickly made our way to the dining room for our “last supper”.

Worked out and at least we got some of the "flavor" of Paris. Decide what you really want to see. Take a taxi to the farthest point and walk back. A good map will help.

<<<Karen>>>

I have been to Paris ten times and would also NOT recommend you go for a few hours. You short change yourself unless you jus want to be able to say that you have been there.A Normandy tour would be a great alternative.

I disagree. There are no promises in life and if one has the opportunity to see Paris if only for six hours it would be worth it to me. A little advance planning would be necessary. You can't do it all but would be able to visit one major attraction, have a lovely lunch at a sidewalk cafe and walk through the streets or a park. I had a lifelong dream to visit the Eiffel Tower. We got off the red eye from JFK, checked into our hotel, then walked an hour to the tower. I was content just being there. Of course we stayed more days and even went on a week long Seine cruise. But being in Paris that first morning was magical to me.

I am glad you enjoyed your day in Paris.

We did an excursion to Normandy, which included the Normandy Beaches, American Cemetery, Bayeux Cathedral and most importantly Bayeux Tapestry (which is 900 years old and describes the Norman invasion of England).

We didn't spend six hours on the road, probably about three.

Your trip was basically a windshield tour of a few of Paris' sites as well as going inside Notre Dame Cathedral.

I understand that people that have never been to Paris want very much to see a small part of the city, but consider OTHER choices and what you can see other than the outside of a few sites in Paris and the inside of Notre Dame.

In the end, if seeing Paris is that important and you are convinced that you will NEVER return, go for it.

My thoughts on travel 30 years ago were that I would never go back to these places. That turned out to be very wrong.

Travel is relatively cheap today and unless your life expectancy is a few years, the World is going to still be out there.

4774Papa-

I believe you are referring to my post. Glad you enjoyed the Normandy beaches but we had no reason to visit them. My father served in the Pacific in WWII and DH's father and those of our companions did not serve at all, too old. War sites aren't for everyone. Plus, in our case, we have the D Day Memorial in Bedford, VA just down the road from us. Been there many times. It was dedicated by George W Bush in June 2011. Really well done. Google it.

We were very happy with our day in Paris and maybe we will get there again someday. Personally, I like St Petersburg, Russia much better.

<<<Karen>>>

4774Papa-

I believe you are referring to my post. Glad you enjoyed the Normandy beaches but we had no reason to visit them. My father served in the Pacific in WWII and DH's father and those of our companions did not serve at all, too old. War sites aren't for everyone. Plus, in our case, we have the D Day Memorial in Bedford, VA just down the road from us. Been there many times. It was dedicated by George W Bush in June 2011. Really well done. Google it.

We were very happy with our day in Paris and maybe we will get there again someday. Personally, I like St Petersburg, Russia much better.

<<<Karen>>>

No member of my family served at Normandy, but thousands of Americans did and it is a very emotional experience. There's no feeling like being at the beaches and the cemetery if you're American. I got the chills and it's more than any memorial. I recommend that visit to anybody.

As for preferring St Petersburg to Paris, well maybe that's the result of only spending six hours off a cruise ship in a city that should be seen in a week rather than after a 2.5 hour bus ride. I loved St Petersburg, but Paris it is not and of course, every great palace tried emulate Versailles. I could go to Paris again and again (and going back this summer) and I'm pretty much done with St Petersburg. Life and cities are not best seen from cruise ships. Unfortunately, you make judgements based on excursions from cruise ships.

Edited by hubofhockey

hubofhockey-

Didn't mean to offend you. I'm sure the Normandy beaches are very emotional for many people. Actually, for me it would be the battles fields and cemeteries from WWI. I have British ancestors who fought and died there. The OP said they wanted to go to Paris not to Normandy yet several poster told them to skip Paris and go to the beaches. All I wanted to do was tell them the "Paris on Your Own" tour was doable. We had a good time and someday we'll probably get back there. We have traveled in Europe on our own, from England all the way to Italy and countries in between so we have seen more than just "cruise ship ports".

As I said I only wanted to tell the OP that it was doable but I guess I should have let others tell them what they should do.

End of posts :).

<<<Karen>>>

I have said this so many times, but here it is again, if you feel this may be the only time you will get a chance to see Paris, GO FOR IT. No need for any ship excursions. If you are capable of reading a map and riding the metro, it is very asy to see the main sites all on your own. (Even if the French won't help you)

Forget all the other purist comments on how you can't see Paris in a week. You can't see any major city in a week, London, Paris, NY whatever, but we had the same opportunity and we did it and loved it.

We took the Eurostar from London, had about 7 hours or so in Paris and then back to London. We saw what we wanted to see and even had time to relax for some ice cream on the champs elysees and a lovely cruise along the Seine.

I guess it all depends on how you want to see Paris. You will not have time to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, or to the top of Notre Dame, but that wasn't in our plans anyway.

A short description of what we did. Got to Paris, caught the metro from Gare du Nord, and went to Sacré-Cœur, from there we walked along Pigalle to the Moulin Rouge. Took the metro again to the Arc of Triumph. from here we walked along the champs elysees, stopped for ice cream and relaxed a bit. From here back on the metro to the Eiffel tower. From here we took the HoHo boat that runs along the Seine. Took this to the Louvre, spent about an hour there. from there we walked along the Seine to Notre Dame. From here we took that HoHo boat and just rode the entire route, back to Notre Dame. Caught the metro back to Gare Du Nord and back on the Eurostar.

Of course we were exhausted and we didn't really stay at any one place for more than 1/2 an hour, but we had a ball and came home with memories that will last a lifetime.

Once again, if you feel this is your one chance and you don't take it, you will be kicking yourself many times after you arrive home.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

hubofhockey-

Didn't mean to offend you. I'm sure the Normandy beaches are very emotional for many people. Actually, for me it would be the battles fields and cemeteries from WWI. I have British ancestors who fought and died there. The OP said they wanted to go to Paris not to Normandy yet several poster told them to skip Paris and go to the beaches. All I wanted to do was tell them the "Paris on Your Own" tour was doable. We had a good time and someday we'll probably get back there. We have traveled in Europe on our own, from England all the way to Italy and countries in between so we have seen more than just "cruise ship ports".

As I said I only wanted to tell the OP that it was doable but I guess I should have let others tell them what they should do.

End of posts :).

<<<Karen>>>

I am not offended. My only issue is that you were commenting on sites you have not been to. To be honest, I wasn't overly excited to go to Normandy and see the beaches and bunkers at the beaches in Normandy. I thought the cemetery wouldn't move me . . . . until I got there. Most people who do that tour are blown away.

I still don't know what you mean by "doable". The sanitized version of seeing a monument or two and a museum, sure. If people are going to do it, seeing the beauty of the city from a Seine cruise offers a nice taste. The difference in Normandy is that you really can get a great experience.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on a British Isles cruise in May and stopped in Le Havre. I have always wanted to go to Paris and finally felt I could…. except some people on CC think it is too many hours of traveling for so little time in Paris. I decided that this is what I wanted to do so I would do it. My dh did not care either way. We took one of the ship's excursions that went to the Louvre and lunch at the Eiffel Tower. It was more expensive than the tour to Notre Dame and a cruise on the Seine but I wanted to do what interested ME. I am SOOOO glad I did. The bus ride was really less than 3 hours. We stopped for a potty break at a rest area that also had souvenirs so I got a chance to buy some. We saw the Arc de Triomph and passed the Musee d'Orsay. Saw some of the Champs Elysee (although it really is just a street with stores it is just that I had heard of it before :D ) We went to the Louvre and saw the Mona Lisa, Winged Victory and also the Venus de Milo. the Louvre is huge and crazy busy especially around the Mona Lisa. Then it was on to the Eiffel Tower and lunch. This was on the first level. Beautiful sight of the city. The ride back to the ship was uneventful. Frankly in both directions it seemed to go fast.

Either way if it is something you want to do then don't let people here talk you out of it. Doing it on your own with the ship's bus will be less expensive than the way we did it but you will still be in PARIS! Just plan a little in advance where you want to go and DO IT!

We were on a British Isles cruise in May and stopped in Le Havre. I have always wanted to go to Paris and finally felt I could…. except some people on CC think it is too many hours of traveling for so little time in Paris. I decided that this is what I wanted to do so I would do it. My dh did not care either way. We took one of the ship's excursions that went to the Louvre and lunch at the Eiffel Tower. It was more expensive than the tour to Notre Dame and a cruise on the Seine but I wanted to do what interested ME. I am SOOOO glad I did. The bus ride was really less than 3 hours. We stopped for a potty break at a rest area that also had souvenirs so I got a chance to buy some. We saw the Arc de Triomph and passed the Musee d'Orsay. Saw some of the Champs Elysee (although it really is just a street with stores it is just that I had heard of it before :D ) We went to the Louvre and saw the Mona Lisa, Winged Victory and also the Venus de Milo. the Louvre is huge and crazy busy especially around the Mona Lisa. Then it was on to the Eiffel Tower and lunch. This was on the first level. Beautiful sight of the city. The ride back to the ship was uneventful. Frankly in both directions it seemed to go fast.

Either way if it is something you want to do then don't let people here talk you out of it. Doing it on your own with the ship's bus will be less expensive than the way we did it but you will still be in PARIS! Just plan a little in advance where you want to go and DO IT!

Great advice! I've been to Paris before, but my cousin has not. We're going together, leaving the dh's on the ship, and since it's her first time I'm sure we'll have a great time and be very glad we went. At first I agreed to go with her because she really wanted to see Paris, but as it comes closer I'm very excited to see Paris again--even if it is for a short time.

Edited by FritzG

We did Paris on your Own twice. The first time there was a short orientation drive round. Both times we just walked everywhere. We cud different things each time. Look at a map and decide what your must see things are remembering you will be dropped off and picked up beside the Place de la Concorde.

I also think you should do what you really want to do. If that means going to Paris, then go to Paris. I have been to Paris and Normandy a couple of times on land tours. If I only had 6 hours, then I would probably go to Honfleur and Etretat, but if you don't mind the long drive to Paris, then go.

I think Paris needs a lot more time, but it isn't me doing the trip. Also, I live in London and it is easy enough for me to go there whenever I want.