Pick one, Costa or MSC

Imagine you won't be sailing 2016 onboard royal and the only options are msc preziosa and costa diadema, which one would you pick. Last but not least also imagine you are new to both lines so you won't get any perks.

Imagine you won't be sailing 2016 onboard royal and the only options are msc preziosa and costa diadema, which one would you pick. Last but not least also imagine you are new to both lines so you won't get any perks.

I would probably pick MSC out of the two. I haven't sailed either of your two choices but, I've looked at many interior pictures of the MSC ships and they look really beautiful.

The Costa ships don't appeal to me, perhaps the newer builds are different but, the older ships in the fleet were designed by Joe Farcus who is known for his gaudy designs on Carnival, not my taste.

Jonathan

I would go MSC. Ships are beautiful. Entertainment not great,food ok as long as you like Mediterranean cuisine. I would recommend taking your own pillow though as they were horrendously uncomfortable. As for Costa just urrrgh

MSC! Lovely ships and less of a binge drinking orgy than many Costs ships.

Food is pretty decent, as long ad you like Italian / Mediterranean fare. Just dont stand between an Italian and the Gala night buffet.

:-)

Definately MSC. Cleanest ship I have ever been on. Excellent entertainment and wide variety of good food. Beautiful public spaces and cabins. Cruised the Poesia from Ft. Lauderdale and am planning the Divina for next year. Actually, the Poesia was one of my all time favorite ships. Just remember, every announcement is in several languages, so sometimes it takes a while. Part of the ambiance.

The Costa Diadema is unique among recent Costa new builds and I have not had pleasure of sailing on this ship yet as she was released at the same time as Quantum and I choose Quantum at that time. Costa has made great use of the open deck area similar to what NCL have done and what is coming from MSC on their new builds. Costa offers very traditional cruising.

Carnival corp have been working hard to make improvements again with Costa and the maritime operations have been moved to Hamburg together with the German line Aida that is doing really well in that market. The hotel department is still heavily 'Italian' and the food is very good.

While recent Costa ships were variations of Carnival ships built at the same time at the same shipyards, Diadema is in her own class right now and much improved.

MSC ships are great. The mix of passengers can be a great deal of fun if one is open to that. This same mix is what some passengers do not like as no one 'culture' is dominant as the line appeals as much to Germans and Spanish, the Swiss and home Italian market.

The food is very hit and miss and the passenger just needs to be selective. They do have the traditional midnight buffets and even have food that moves from bar to bar so that one never goes hungry even if you find your dinner choice was not optimal that night.

I have sailed a few times in the Yacht club. This is the concept RCI is copying with their suite perks on Oasis and Quantum to some degree, but MSC do this exceptionally well. I found it a bit boring as a solo, but think families and friends traveling together really enjoy this enhanced experience of a ship within a ship and their is certainly no chair hogs and the personal attention is exceptional.

Outside of the Yacht club, MSC service can seem a bit lacking for the American or British markets as the 'status' service culture on some international lines is lacking and all passengers that are not in the yacht club are basically treated the same with no special treatment for some over others.

The night life on MSC ships is far superior to RCI and the bars and clubs are very busy. The fact that MSC always does 'interporting' in Europe means you always have some passengers embarking and disembarking and this changes the flow with no night being dead. Another thing that can seem odd is the amount of ship staff and officers that are enjoying the venues along with the passengers.

MSC do a drink coupon offer that I really like as you can even use the coupons purchased on another sailing or share them with others and the prices have always been quite reasonable by European standards. They do the coupons for water and gelato as well.

If there is any specific concern with MSC, I would be happy to try to answer. While I have been on MSC about 20 times now they do tend to make minor changes to service all the time.

MSC actually hired quite a few top management from RCI a few years ago and they have been working to make the line have better 'international' appeal. You will most likely see the result of this when MSC make a big push into the American market soon with 2 ships based in Miami.