iPhone use in Hawaii

Pop and Peppy

My DH and I have moved into the modern age and have brand new iPhones. Will we be able to use them when we're in Hawaii and is there an additional charge (I know Verizon is in Hawaii)? We are really new with the iPhones and want to be careful and not run up a high bill. We will turn off "roaming" when we get on the ship.

Our 12 year-old granddaughter taught us what we know while visiting from Atlanta. Any help with the phones while on this October's Hawaii/Tahiti cruise would be appreciated. Thanks, Peppy:)

FYI for Bugg-Verizon no longer treats US Virgin islands as a domestic call.

For the OP, on your iPhone, put it on airplane mode (or power off completely) when on the ship or it will still connect and you will be charged for data usage and missed call voicemails. You will need to check with Verizon as to your plan rates and decide whether you want international access or not. Cruise ships are treated as if they are their own little international country as far as cell providers are concerned.

If you want to use the ship internet plans, put the phone in airplane mode then turn On the Wifi. You will be able to access the wifi that way, but all the cell functions will remain blocked.

Pop & Peppy,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We will be with you on the October cruise. Have you found the Roll Call yet? In case you need it here is the link to it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031190

It is where your fellow passengers hang out and plan for the cruise.

We will also be in Western Samoa and American Samoa. I have to check to see if American Samoa will also be included in our cell plans. Western Samoa and French Polynesia are not.

We were on the same cruise last October with our shiny new smart phones. We enjoyed them in Hawaii and then shut them down completely and put them in the safe for the remainder of the cruise. ;) My research had conflicting info on American Samoa, so I didn't want to take any chances. BTW, the ship internet was painfully slow essentially the entire cruise. They used the excuse that the satellites didn't work over the equator. :rolleyes: I honestly feared the poor internet manager would commit suicide he was so stressed out. One trick, it seemed the Princess postcards went through. I sent many from the Internet Cafe. You're only allowed like one or two sentences, but it was fun to send them to the grandkids. :D

I often get the same question about Key West; to which I reply it's just the same as home.;)
Exactly. Hawaii is a U.S. state and has representatives in the Senate and Congress. Any U.S. plan will include Hawaii and Alaska.

Hawaii, Alaska and the U.S. Virgin Islands are part or the United States as far as your cellphone is concerned. It would be the same as making a call while in your backyard.

Sprint considers includes these as US in their plans.

Hawaii and Alaska are states.

Puerto Rico is included, as well.

Edited by cubfan63

Hawaii, Alaska and the U.S. Virgin Islands are part or the United States as far as your cellphone is concerned. It would be the same as making a call while in your backyard.

Don't forget that Puerto Rico and Guam are US territories as well.

Best advice........ Buy an iPad mini wifi only. Then buy the ships wifi package and check email or do Audio not video FaceTime with those you actually want to speak with versus email

Keep the phone off while on the ship and only turn it back on during the Hawaii based port stops

During the Tahiti portion I would not bother with the phone but rather just look for free wifi

I never get a straight clear cut answer from Verizon and am concerned about iPhone updates and charges so I bypass the airplane mode and just keep it off in the safe while cruising and use the wifi iPad mini which works great especially in free wifi areas and am ok with buying the ships wifi package as I know my cost and don't need to worry about data charges from Verizon

There are times when an old basic cell phone is useful lol

Anyway Tahiti is gorgeous!!!!! I will go back someday. Also remember to watch the water drain from the sink when below the equator....it goes counterclockwise!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't forget that Puerto Rico and Guam are US territories as well.

Haven't been there yet so they were not in my experience memory. ;)

FYI for Bugg-Verizon no longer treats US Virgin islands as a domestic call.

For the OP, on your iPhone, put it on airplane mode (or power off completely) when on the ship or it will still connect and you will be charged for data usage and missed call voicemails. You will need to check with Verizon as to your plan rates and decide whether you want international access or not. Cruise ships are treated as if they are their own little international country as far as cell providers are concerned.

If you want to use the ship internet plans, put the phone in airplane mode then turn On the Wifi. You will be able to access the wifi that way, but all the cell functions will remain blocked.

Sprint does as it is part of the USA also when I was there last I believe Verizon had cell coverage on St. Thomas. But things do change should have added "it would probably be wise to talk to your service provider or check online for service maps.

Update verizon says the US virgin island is domestic rates

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/data-roaming-charges/

Let's make this perfectly clear:

Verizon is good in all 50 states (48 lower continental states, Alaska, and Hawaii). Alaska uses a different carrier than Verizon, but it is like a code share, no extra charge.

I've been to places on the mainland that don't have Verizon coverage (Three Rivers, CA or any of the National Parks).

I use T-Mobile, which is great for international, but Alaska was a challenge as I ran out of data.

Tahiti has its own carrier, which T-Mobile does not partner with. The cafe on the second floor of the market has wifi with purchase.