Live From Golden Princess 1 June to 11 June

cougaraz

..............................and while the weather was a bummer, that is far beyond my control. That being said, I am sure someone stopped by passenger services to complain!

That's only funny, unfortunately, because it is probably true. I can hear it now: "I want a free cruise! And on-board credits" :cool:

Quick note this morning, we've just taken arrival in Victoria under sunny skies and looking for temperatures in the high sixties! Going on an early excursion and then Will post a full rundown on yesterday. The kids and the parents love the program. It feels like there aren't many youngsters onboard, but there are actually 40ish the young kids group and 60ish in the next group up. The facility is quite secure and they make the kids wash their hands as soon as they check in. I will ask my sister and niece for additional thoughts.

Pure liquid sunshine has resulted in cancellation of our tour! Bummer dude.

I usually go through my excursion choices and keep a list of backups, sorted by level of interest, so if my primary gets cancelled, I at least know what the options are (and if they've left yet, etc.).

We are this same cruise june 21st. We are have 4 children that will be traveling with us 3, 7, 9 and 10 so we are wondering what your kids think of the kids program. Also what do their parents think about the set up.

My family will be joining you on June 21st, with my 11 year old son. I bet the numbers of children on board will increase, once summer vacation starts.

Good morning, from Golden Princess once again sailing on smooth seas. I am behind, so I'll start with Monday. We were at sea and having left Ketchikan and the shelter of coastal Alaska experienced a pretty substantial increase in seas. To be fair, we probably saw maximum wave and swell heights around six feet, but for many including my niece, that was enough to feel it and endure a bit of suffering as a result.

We enjoyed a very lazy and relaxing day at sea, lots of walking on the deck, reading, napping and spending time with the family. For breakfast, we fired up the usual suspects in the Horizon Court and lunch was in the main dining room. I had the veal with tonnato sauce which was good, but there was far too much sauce for the amount of veal. I followed that with a nice pasta sauces with ham and the tomato, my main was a nice London Broil and dessert was a reprise of the chocolate bread and butter pudding from earlier in the cruise.

We changed up our evening routine and headed up to Skywalkers for the elite and platinum event. With 530 dinner, it hasn't been high on our list, but we were ready and the view is impossible to beat. We enjoyed a cocktail and just a bite of sushi before heading to the dining room for formal night. The menu and service were up to the high standards we have been enjoying. I state with the escargots which I believe is French for amazing dipping sauce just made for crusty bread after you finish your snails. Melissa got the spring rolls and I got the seafood tian. The spring rolls were great and the tian had good flavor but desperately needed a textural foil to make it complete. The pasta was a veal ravioli in mushroom sauce and it was bowl licking good! The main course around the table was the prawns and lobster tail served with rice and drawn butter. The seafood was scrumptious and only my earlier culinary adventures during the day stopped me from having a second portion. Dessert was another chocolate journey and it was well executed and beautifully presented. It was a chocolate and pistachio mousse and very, very tasty. Given a perfect world, I would've preferred a little bit darker chocolate and a little less sweetness, but those are observations, not complaints. Micah also had his first lobster tail bites and loved them.

After dinner, we went to the Wheelhouse Bar for a cocktail and then to the Vista Lounge to hear David Klinkinberg's second show and it more than lived up to the first. He played to another packed house and the crowd seemed to love it!

I haven't been able to find out anything new on the musicians plans for the rest of the summer, but I will keep trying.

When we last left our hero and heroine they were closing in on Victoria...

....we got up early and had breakfast in the dining room with my parents. I like dining room breakfast. I can't do it every day as it can get heavy and makes me feel sluggish if I over do it. However, it was a pleasant meal, some juice, coffee, pastry and then the James Beard French Toast. I love the JB French Toast, so crispy on the outside and moist inside.

We were booked on a whale watching tour through Princess and it was supremely convenient. We met at the head of the pier and after a two minute walk to the other side of the dock were able to board our boat, appropriately named Pacific Princess. The boat was nice and the crew friendly. Under some serious diesel power, we got up on plane and flew out into the San Juan Islands for just under an hour. We arrived to find a nice pod of Orcas and spent the next hour enjoying a good viewing of a couple mature males, some females and at least one baby. Seas were very calm, almost pond like and there was warm sunshine. As our time expired, we transited back to Victoria with two stops along the way for viewing of harbor seals. Although they were present, the depth of water meant we were not able to get very close. Which brings me to my number tip for Alaska cruising...BRING SOME GOOD BINOCULARS! I forgot this trip and couldn't bring myself to buy more when I have a great set at home. The ship goes to amazing places, but the constraints of the geography often means you are close to great sites and wildlife, but just far enough away that the naked eye isn't quite good enough.

Upon our return, we were once again a five minute walk from the ship and returned in time for lunch in the dining room. We started with the seafood quesadilla with guacamole. Which was very tasty. I followed it with the pasta topped with chicken and a mild curry sauce. It was really tasty, but the curry and pasta was a bit of a strange combination, it seemed rice would've been a better pairing. Dessert was an apple cobbler with ice cream and it was delicious. I will post a great video of young Micah choking down on his cobbler, there are few things Micah likes better than Apple based desserts.

Our afternoon was lazy and restful with reading and napping being on the top of the list. We got ready early for dinner and went to Vines for a glass of wine. I had the 50th Anniversary Prosecco and it was a very, very nice glass. Dinner in the dining room was another big hit wit ha starter of the twice baked goat cheese soufflé, which was oooey, gooey goodness, followed by the terrine and a bowl of fettuccine for me. The palate cleansing sorbet was delicious and set me up perfectly for my main of scallops in a nice citrus white sauce with some veggies. The accompaniments were boring, but the scallops were perfectly cooked and seasoned. For dessert, I had creme brûlée which is so simple, but so good!!!

We then ventured to Explorers to catch the end of the NBA Finals Game 3. I have been on ships for some pretty big sporting events, the NBA finals, New Years Day bowl games and the last regular season game of last years NFL season between the Packers and Lions. Across the board, I feel like Princess misses the boat. I don't know if it is because the cruise staff generally aren't American or if there is just a lack of understanding, but in all the cases, they needed more bar staff, more free appetizers and more seating. After that, we settled in for a very long night's sleep.

Great whale watching!

We always bring our binoculars, they are in the necessary cruise stuff pile. :D

I use a Telescopic Monocular Lens held to my left eye which has the best vision. I have written in on the Packing Checklist TELESCOPIC MONOCULAR LENS as a terse reminder. Will probably put it in my handbag the night before travelling so it is with me!

Thanks for the discreet reminder I do need help seeing at a distance, so make absolutely certain my magnification devices are packed as a priority. I love how Cruise Critic members keep a friendly eye out for one another, sharing information which may help others avoid a nasty surprise!

Crochetcruise :cool:

Unfortunately, this is the last night of the cruise, but there will be more to come in this thread. I will be wrapping up the last day and disembarkation while we're at the airport tomorrow. Also, once I get home I plan to post lots of photos, videos and some additional thoughts and comments. Thank you to everyone who has been following and hope you will stay tuned for more.

Unfortunately, this is the last night of the cruise, but there will be more to come in this thread. I will be wrapping up the last day and disembarkation while we're at the airport tomorrow. Also, once I get home I plan to post lots of photos, videos and some additional thoughts and comments. Thank you to everyone who has been following and hope you will stay tuned for more.

Thanks so much for your live. Have a safe trip home. :)

"I feel like Princess misses the boat. I don't know if it is because the cruise staff generally aren't American or if there is just a lack of understanding, but in all the cases, they needed more bar staff, more free appetizers and more seating."

Well, you've got to remember that not all the pax are either American or interested in sport.

I really wish that they wouldn't show any sport at all - for instance, just when I feel like an evening movie at MUTS, there's some American sport thing on - but I realise it's necessary, I just wish Princess would do it less often.

I told the DH that we needed to get better binoculars for our Alaska cruise coming up. He stated he wanted to get video binoculars. :confused:

Has anyone used those and if not which brand would you recommend. We have binoculars but not a very good kind.

Cougaraz thanks for sharing. Looking forward to reading more of your adventure.

"I feel like Princess misses the boat. I don't know if it is because the cruise staff generally aren't American or if there is just a lack of understanding, but in all the cases, they needed more bar staff, more free appetizers and more seating."

Well, you've got to remember that not all the pax are either American or interested in sport.

I really wish that they wouldn't show any sport at all - for instance, just when I feel like an evening movie at MUTS, there's some American sport thing on - but I realise it's necessary, I just wish Princess would do it less often.

A fair point, but given the standing room only crowds, I think it is a fair assessment that live sporting events are very popular. Plus, Princess is quite picky in what they show, I've only ever seen them show really big matches and games.

Plus, Princess is quite picky in what they show, I've only ever seen them show really big matches and games.

During American football season, they can be showing regular, ordinary football games on four evenings plus Sunday afternoon.

Football lovers like this Movie lovers do not.

During American football season, they can be showing regular, ordinary football games on four evenings plus Sunday afternoon.

Football lovers like this Movie lovers do not.

Interesting, never seen that, but good to know.

Football lovers LOVE (fixed that for you) this Movie lovers do not.

Sunday, Monday, Thursday...what's this fourth evening I'm missing??? :D

OP, thanks for your Live From. All these wonderful Live Froms and reviews from Alaska right now (and entertainer Jere Ring's Facebook photos while he's up there) are really making me want to ditch summer and head north.

A fair point, but given the standing room only crowds, I think it is a fair assessment that live sporting events are very popular. Plus, Princess is quite picky in what they show, I've only ever seen them show really big matches and games.

Now if they'd go back to showing them in the cabins, there would be more room for those who have been standing.