Airport transfers LAX

CQG67

We are doing the Hawaii cruise next April and have no clue about transfers out there. I know traffic is a big problem so timing is a guessing game. The flight we want to take on our return is at 10am which concerns me. Would the Princess transfer be the best option? We were also considering staying an extra night in LA near the airport where they provide shuttle service. We are considering a van on the flight into LAX as we will be one or two days arriving prior to cruise and are staying in San Pedro. Thanks, barb

We are doing the Hawaii cruise next April and have no clue about transfers out there. I know traffic is a big problem so timing is a guessing game. The flight we want to take on our return is at 10am which concerns me. Would the Princess transfer be the best option? We were also considering staying an extra night in LA near the airport where they provide shuttle service. We are considering a van on the flight into LAX as we will be one or two days arriving prior to cruise and are staying in San Pedro. Thanks, barb

Do not do a transfer. You will never make it.

Do the first walk off group around 7:00am with your luggage and get a cab. Sign up for the walkoff midway through the cruise.

Cab cost approx $60.

If you can get a later flight get one, or if you can stay overnight do that.

Going to the cruise Super Shuttle or Prime Time is about $17pp.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Without a doubt, you have a 95% chance of missing your flight. Princess transfers will NOT be available to you. The earliest Princess offers transfers is 12:30 p.m. There's a very good reason for that.

If you insist on taking this flight, make sure you have backup plans, I.e., hotels, food, etc... because it's highly likely that you'll miss your flight.

You won't make the 10AM flight . Princess recommends domestic departures from LAX around 11:30 AM. The ship usually docks around 7AM . The first passengers leave the ship at 7:30 AM. Count on at least 45 to 90 minutes to clear customs/immigration. Then up to an hour to get to LAX via taxi ($100) . For a 10AM you have to start thru security about 8:30 at the latest. The plane starts loading at around 9:30 with doors closing at 9:50.

If you take a flight after 12PM , Princess shuttle will get you to LAX in plenty of time with no stress.

You won't make the 10AM flight.
I agree. Even doing walk-off. I've disembarked in San Pedro many times and often, disembarkation doesn't even start until after 8am, even for walk-offs. I'm looking at a disembarkation schedule and the first meeting time (not disembarkation time) for the first walk-off was 8:15am. Not only will it take time for you to go through Immigration but it'll take at least 45 minutes to get to LAX at that hour of the day, even on weekends. LAX is often gridlock and it can easily take 30 minutes to get to the terminal from the entrance to the airport. Then, you have to check-in and make your flight. It would take a minor miracle to make your flight.

If you have no choice other than this flight, grab a cab. It'll cost a lot of money but you don't have minutes to spare. And, have a back-up Plan B that you will likely have to use.

As everyone has stated very doubtful that you will make a 10am flight.

We live on the east coast and have found when flying home from the west coast that it is more comfortable and easier to transfer from the pier to an airport hotel on disembarkation day. Then book an early morning flight for the next day. With the time change we generally land in the late afternoon. The extra night in the hotel is worth the money. We are usually very tired after a long cruise with all those late nights, and the hotel rest for a day before the long flight home fits our style.

We would take one of the group shuttles from the pier to the hotel.

You cannot make a 10:00 flight, no way. We have made 11:00 flights a few times but I was a little nervous. The last time we were there self disembarking passengers were held until 8:30, port officials would not let us disembark until then.

Thanks for the feedback. You have all confirmed what I pretty much thought was the case- 10am on a weekday in LA not doable. Problem is the only nonstop back to Tampa is at 10am and no one in my group wants a flight with layovers. We all want nonstop. Sooooo sknight we are on the same page and we will spend the extra night in a hotel near the airport that offers shuttle service and that way we will be sure to be close to the airport and not rushed the day of disembarkation or travel home day. We are also thinking about flying in two nights before the cruise instead ofmone just because airlines are unpredictable and delays are the norm. We are going to use van service for our trips to and from LA as there are four of us and we would need two cabs. Any suggestions on those services?

Skintight - when you say group shuttle what are you specifically referring to?

Barb

We are going to use van service for our trips to and from LA as there are four of us and we would need two cabs. Any suggestions on those services?

Skintight - when you say group shuttle what are you specifically referring to?

Barb

Your answer was posted already right here ITT:

Going to the cruise Super Shuttle or Prime Time is about $17pp.

Port is pretty far from airport. Your only chance to make the flight is if you walk off at 7am, do not encounter other "I have to catch same flight" people in customs line, get a cabbie who can drive at warp speed, and pray that 110 and 405 are empty.

My suggestions: Before and after cruise, stay at hotel. Here are things you can do: Pre Cruise-- you can use, Prime time, super shuttle, arange a limo, etc. You fly into LAX, get transportaion to drop you off at a hotel near the cruise port-Use trip advisor to help make up your decision.

After cruise, depending on how you want to spend your day, I would get transportation, as before to drop you off at airport. I can recommend Doubletree hotel that has shuttle to and from airport. I have also stayed at

the Hilton, Crown Plaze right next to airport that offers shuttles to LAX, included with hotel. My favorite was the Doubletree, even though it is a little (10 minutes) further than the airport.

But I can assure you-- you will never make a 10:00 am flight the same day as disembarkation. Be at terminal-- 7:30- 8:00 ish...

Booked our hotel at port of San Pedro for 2 nights prior to cruise since airfares are almost $250 pp cheaper to fly on a Sat than a Sun. Besides you never know with airline delays. Then booked a hotel near airport for Tue night - day cruise returns - and will fly out next morning.

Don't know where skintight came from but computer has a way of changing my words. Sorry sknight.. Anyway missed the answer about Super Shuttle or Prime Time. Sorry! So we are all set. Now I need to save my $$$$ to pay for this 15 day cruise which has expanded to 18 days with before and afters. Can't take it with me!

Thanks again for your info. It is much appreciated. Barb

Booked our hotel at port of San Pedro for 2 nights prior to cruise since airfares are almost $250 pp cheaper to fly on a Sat than a Sun. Besides you never know with airline delays. Then booked a hotel near airport for Tue night - day cruise returns - and will fly out next morning.

Don't know where skintight came from but computer has a way of changing my words. Sorry sknight.. Anyway missed the answer about Super Shuttle or Prime Time. Sorry! So we are all set. Now I need to save my $$$$ to pay for this 15 day cruise which has expanded to 18 days with before and afters. Can't take it with me!

Thanks again for your info. It is much appreciated. Barb

Its always great to save money. :D

Port is pretty far from airport. Your only chance to make the flight is if you walk off at 7am, do not encounter other "I have to catch same flight" people in customs line, get a cabbie who can drive at warp speed, and pray that 110 and 405 are empty.

When ever we docked at San Pedro . We never where able to get off before 8AM. I don't know if any cruises that Princess has that don't clear custom and Immigration on arrival at San Pedro.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

When ever we docked at San Pedro . We never where able to get off before 8AM. I don't know if any cruises that Princess has that don't clear custom and Immigration on arrival at San Pedro.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

On our cruises ending in San Pedro we always do the walk off and are usually on the way to the airport by 7:20am.

There have been times when the process was delayed and there were long lines through customs.

Thanks again for the help. There is no way in h--l I will get my gang to do anything other than a nonstop. I am lucky to get two of them on the airplane as it is. It is no biggie to spend another night before flying home. We will probably reserve with super shuttle. How does that work when you are ready to leave the airport? Can we use them to return to our airport hotel on disembark day?

Barb

Thanks again for the help. There is no way in h--l I will get my gang to do anything other than a nonstop. I am lucky to get two of them on the airplane as it is. It is no biggie to spend another night before flying home. We will probably reserve with super shuttle. How does that work when you are ready to leave the airport? Can we use them to return to our airport hotel on disembark day?

Barb

Most hotels near LAX have free shuttles to the airport. If you are staying else where there are some shared shuttle that go to LAX.

If you are arriving from Hawaii directly there shouldn't be any customs??

Sometimes the ship does Ensenada before Hawaii. This usually means extra time to go through Immigrations/customs in Hilo (such a shame to take time away from this port). Then you can just walk off the ship.

If the ship stops in Ensenada on the way back, you do need to go through Immigrations/customs (San Pedro).

If you are arriving from Hawaii directly there shouldn't be any customs??

Wrong. All cruises from Hawaii have to stop in Ensenada to be legal under the PVSA or Jones Act. Cruise ships are American Flagged therefore that can't go directly for Hawaii to San Pedro without a foreign port stop.

That means they have to clear customs and immigration in San Pedro.