Use of legally prescribed Marijuana on board

ghstudio

I wonder how Celebrity will handle a situation where a passenger wants to bring legally prescribed marijuana on board and wishes to "take their medication" either in their room or in a public place.

Seems like this is a very sticky problem area that will undoubtedly come up quite soon....and one where Celebrity HQ needs to take firm policy decision that is implemented across all ships.

There are probably two cases to consider.

Case 1...a cruise that only stops at US ports...eg. Hawaii, Alaska Cruises

Case 2...a cruise that stops in non-us ports.

Edited by ghstudio

I wonder how Celebrity will handle a situation where a passenger wants to bring legally prescribed marijuana on board and wishes to "take their medication" either in their room or in a public place.

Seems like this is a very sticky problem area that will undoubtedly come up quite soon....and one where Celebrity HQ needs to take firm policy decision that is implemented across all ships.

The problem as I understand medicinal marijuana is prescribed by the doctor for the state of residence. Ships are mainly governed by the country of registration and international law . I don't think that you should even try to use it on board . Many companies now only allow smoking in designated areas. You still have go thru customs and immigration , which could or probably will consider your trying to import the drug illegally.

If you try and cross the Canadian Border you'll be arrested for possession and importation of a illegal substance.

It is illegal to use Marijuana under federal law. The 23 states and DC that allow medical use do not preempt federal law, international law or the law in states that do not allow medical use. The same with non US ports. Their laws override any state law that allows legal use. Some ports even go onboard ships at port with sniffer dogs. Celebrity policy has to comply with federal and international law which considers Marijuana a Schedule 1 drug. The sticky problem will be for passengers detected onboard or at customs with Marijuana.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

If they try to bring it on board or are caught with it on board, then they will be confined, kicked off the ship and arrested by port authorities.

I doubt a "prescription" will make any difference.

I might be wrong but I think all Celebrity cruises stop at non-us ports. I don't think they're allowed to only stop at US ports.

While I'm sure that Celebrity doesn't allow pot smoking, I think in the event that they do, it will have to be in the designated smoking areas.

It is illegal to use Marijuana under federal law. The 23 states and DC that allow medical use do not preempt federal law, international law or the law in states that do not allow medical use. The same with non US ports. Their laws override any state law that allows legal use. Some ports even go onboard ships at port with sniffer dogs. Celebrity policy has to comply with federal and international law which considers Marijuana a Schedule 1 drug. The sticky problem will be for passengers detected onboard or at customs with Marijuana.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting the actual information :)

Marijuana is still an illegal drug on cruise ships - prescription or not.

Period.

Edited by DinaS

I think most people are missing the point, it's not what the U. S. law is now, but what it's going to be in a few years, sooner than most people realize.

I think this is what GH might be inferring.

I would suggest to those that aren't familiar with the projections on this to do a little research.

Interesting timing. I was at a legal breakfast this week and one of the topics was medical marijuana in the workplace. We definitely have to allow it if it's prescribed. Should be interesting going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This doesn't really answer the issue' date=' but having been a teenager in the 70's, I have definitely smelled weed on various sailings. :)[/quote']

Yep, we smelled it on our last cruise (not Celebrity) several times when we passed a certain cabin on our deck.

Yep, we smelled it on our last cruise (not Celebrity) several times when we passed a certain cabin on our deck.

I find the odor of MJ smoke to be awful.

It is interesting that a lower percentage of people smoke tobacco, and smoking tobacco is so not PC these days.

Yet more people are smoking MJ.

Well it will get you kicked off at best arrested at the next port st worst, do a search on marijuana on a cruise ship.

Years ago the smell was almost a given at the "back" of the ship. Many aft facing cabins were reserved by the "420" crowd... not so much nowadays. Regardless of what you feelings are, what the laws may be in the future, where the pendulum of morality is going, right NOW you will find it not so kind for sure.

...If you try and cross the Canadian Border you'll be arrested for possession and importation of a illegal substance.

I watch "Border Security" too. LOL! A very common scene on this TV show.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI

Technically, if the ship makes a stop in Canada (such as some of the Alaskan cruises) and you don't get off the ship, you are not on canadian soil and you are not subject to canadian law. This is equally true in international airports where there is an international zone. Of course if you choose to pass through immigration, that's a different situation.

Additionally, it is not ILLEGAL to have marijuana on a Celebrity ship....it is their rules of passage that prohibit it.

I think it's somewhat inevitable that more states and even the federal government will legalize medical marijuana. Once that happens, the issue will almost certainly arise on cruises that leave from the United States.

However that's the future...I'm wondering what would happen now if you were found to have marijuana on board and you had a legal prescription for it. Would Celebrity challenge you? They would be prohibiting you from taking a medicine prescribed by your doctor.

Just raised the question for people to think how this will evolve.

If you try and cross the Canadian Border you'll be arrested for possession and importation of a illegal substance.

Lol....why bring it with you. Vancouver alone has 80 medical marijuana stores. With the exchange rate, it's a steal ;)

Additionally, it is not ILLEGAL to have marijuana on a Celebrity ship....it is their rules of passage that prohibit it.

I think it's somewhat inevitable that more states and even the federal government will legalize medical marijuana. Once that happens, the issue will almost certainly arise on cruises that leave from the United States.

However that's the future...I'm wondering what would happen now if you were found to have marijuana on board and you had a legal prescription for it. Would Celebrity challenge you? They would be prohibiting you from taking a medicine prescribed by your doctor.

Just raised the question for people to think how this will evolve.

As you mention it is against their rules of passage. As for what would happen now if someone had a prescription you would have to ask Celebrity about that.

Also ships calling in Bermuda and the Bahamas in particular since I have read about those cases, Celebrity allows the local authorities to board the ship in port with drug sniffer dogs. If the dog sniffs Marijuana in the safe they will open the safe for them. Some of those arrested did claim that had a prescription. Bermuda does not recognize those prescriptions and those arrested had to pay large fines or go to jail.

As for how it evolves that would depend on changes to US and international law. The current classification of Marijuana would have to changed from schedule 1 which categorizes it as having no current medical use. With many states legalizing medical marijuana the classification out of Schedule 1 by the US government could happen. I believe Celebrity would have enough time before any such changes took effect to evolve their policies.

Lol....why bring it with you. Vancouver alone has 80 medical marijuana stores. With the exchange rate, it's a steal ;)

In Vancouver you are required to have a Doctor's perscription to buy medical marijuana.

Tell that to the police when they are hauling you off the ship in handcuffs and take you to some awful foreign (or U.S.) jail.

I am sure they will listen to your legal expertise!