What is there to do in Caribbean Port over nights?

janewe

Although I have mentioned this before on a thread, I will reiterate it.

On past Celebrity cruises where we overnighted or left very late, Celebrity brought on wonderful Folkloric shows.

Hopefully they are planning to do a lot of that in the Caribbean as well.

Edited by Can'tstopcruising

I just don't think Cruise Critic is an accurate representation of the cruising public.

I agree too. Over one million people sail Celebrity each yr, and we have what, 3-4-500 that post on the Celebrity board here on CC.

I got a phone call a few minutes ago from a very nice Lady at Celebrity. I outlined my concerns regarding losing Bonaire. She is doing a report and promises to bring my concerns and that of others on C.C. along with the results of the Poll up with senior management.

http://nightspublications.com/curacao

http://www.curacao-travelguide.com/discover/nightlife/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147277-Activities-Curacao.html#TtD

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147277-Activities-Curacao.html#TtD

http://caribya.com/curacao/nightlife/

http://www.islands.com/top-5-things-do-curacao

Just a few links for you to peruse until your cruise which stops there.

btw - I would recommend checking these and other possible links on google or bing or whichever search engine you use as your cruise gets closer if it is more than six months out.

bon voyage

thanks for the links....at least some will have a nice view from the ship and some interesting choices

...,we lost an overnight in Curacao for overnight Aruba,,,there are some nice restaurants there but would have preferred Curacao as dh has never been there and I was there many yrs ago with my parents...oh well....at this pt, our first ABC island booking evaporated and we are lucky we still have Bonaire!

https://digital.nightspublications.com/curacaonights-2015/html5/index.html?page=1

Thanks for the links. I wonder how much is going on in the week day night we are there. They adjusted our departure time in Barbados as well to midnight but also wonder what one can do there on a Sunday evening. We were previously scheduled to leave at 11 pm, now in Curacao for two days. Being there over night does not seem compelling to give up a different Island the next day.

Bottom line, I wish they had left the itinerary the way it was when I booked it and yes I know they can change it but I don't like it.

I agree completely. We can do with no overnights on a Caribbean cruise - we go there for the sun and the beaches not the nightlife.

Every survey I have filled out for X, I have requested they add some overnights, to explore the nightlife, and local dining for dinner on the islands - get some authentic cuisine, see the sunsets from the islands beaches. I for one, am happy they have listened.

Overnighting to me makes sea travel feel more like an experience, than being one of 100 tourists in a group trying to figure out an entire island and culture on only 6 hours time.

Well, now I see Curt - this is all YOUR fault! :eek: :D

Seriously though, you make a good point - there are many who are actually pleased with this change and they are very likely just not interested in spending their time debating it here on this forum.

Forgot to mention that on another booked cruise we have lost Belize (full day...great nature, authentic Mayan ruins, rivers, reef) for an extra half day and overnight in Cozumel...

..no way we would venture out there at night and one day there every few cruises is more than enough....weather rainy there quite a bit and , sometimes wind and currents too strong for snorkelling,,..not everyone wants to enjoy local bars into the night! Cozumel is basically known as a dive and party port

anyhow...we will enjoy our cruises and hope if we book ones in the future, the itins will not be changed so much and that the interest in renting the ship out as a hotel or for charters does not cause continued turmoil....while all these changes rolled out, top mgmt were prancing around with picnic baskets for the Greener Grass Ad campaign....chances are those baskets will some day join the little metal baskets they tried out on Summit in the buffet!

Celeb is not so special as it used to be....but still a good value in BLU ...will compare it with Azamara when we get the chance to try Az.

Seriously though, you make a good point - there are many who are actually pleased with this change and they are very likely just not interested in spending their time debating it here on this forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2214421

I don't know how many debated and voted but the results are running better than 3 to 1 for those who prefer not to lose an Island for two days in another. Regarding "there are many who are actually pleased with this change". There are a few, not many but you may have concrete information on that, if so, please pass on.

I agree too. Over one million people sail Celebrity each yr, and we have what, 3-4-500 that post on the Celebrity board here on CC.

wallie5446 - i also agree that the community here is small and non-representative of the larger cruising community. The "extremes" on all sides come out, as each are permitted to do, to voice their knowledge, opinions, concerns, etc.

Having already been "flamed" indirectly by the OP, I didn't bother to voice my thoughts further. However, I am interested to hear about the experiences of others and further explore the overnight options.

wallie5446 - i also agree that the community here is small and non-representative of the larger cruising community. The "extremes" on all sides come out, as each are permitted to do, to voice their knowledge, opinions, concerns, etc.

Having already been "flamed" indirectly by the OP, I didn't bother to voice my thoughts further. However, I am interested to hear about the experiences of others and further explore the overnight options.

I just said I would not put people down like you did in calling other posters moaners. Sorry you took offence at that. In no way was my post indirectly, vitriolic and abusive which is what flamed means.

I just said I would not put people down like you did in calling other posters moaners. Sorry you took offence at that. In no way was my post indirectly, vitriolic and abusive which is what flamed means.

No offense taken. :)

I wasn't expecting to conduct a grammar lesson today, but if you read my post closely you would know I used the word "moan" in the form of a verb, not as a noun or subject. Therefore, I was not naming a group of people or putting anyone down, I was merely expressing a feeling that I had regarding how I felt (an opinion) about the constant going on about this topic, in multiple threads. I do see things differently than others that have posted indicating their negative reactions. Maybe you can choose to disagree with me (and others) without calling everyone out when they post their thoughts for not seeing things your way. :rolleyes:

Edited by vulcan1971

No offense taken. :)

I wasn't expecting to conduct a grammar lesson today, but if you read my post closely you would know I used the word "moan" in the form of a verb, not as a noun or subject. Therefore, I was not naming a group of people or putting anyone down, I was merely expressing a feeling that I had regarding how I felt (an opinion) about the constant going on about this topic, in multiple threads. I do see things differently than others that have posted indicating their negative reactions. Maybe you can choose to disagree with me (and others) without calling everyone out when they post their thoughts for not seeing things your way. :rolleyes:

Your reply is acceptable with the exception of the last line. I don't think there is any merit in prolonging this dialogue.

Your reply is acceptable with the exception of the last line. I don't think there is any merit in prolonging this dialogue.

At least we can agree on this. :D

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by vulcan1971

At least we can agree on this. :D

Sorry ya'll, off topic a second.

Walter we are meeting folks from our last Roll Call in Pittsburg this summer and need some suggestions. Please email me at' my screen name' at AOL. I want your ideas.

EW

OK, back to the discussion at hand.:D

I agree completely. We can do with no overnights on a Caribbean cruise - we go there for the sun and the beaches not the nightlife.

If it was just for the beaches we would just go to Florida. We haven't been back to the Caribbean for years because we have toured all the islands with great guides and learned a lot of the history. After you have seen the islands once, all that's left is beaches which are not important to us at all. But overnights definatly give us something to think about

If it was just for the beaches we would just go to Florida. We haven't been back to the Caribbean for years because we have toured all the islands with great guides and learned a lot of the history. After you have seen the islands once, all that's left is beaches which are not important to us at all. But overnights definatly give us something to think about

Christine, we have lost count of the number of times we have been up top as the Capt pushes away from the dock and we look out and see a caterman or such, filled with people toasting us with their glasses held high. As they sail off for a wonderful sunset dinner sail around an island or harbour.

Oh I know we get probably the most outstanding view of the sun slowly sinking into the deep blue water on the distant horizon from our perch at the Sunset Bar. But for some reason we have always wanted to be on that little boat with friends watching the twinkling lights of the city in the harbour.:)

But we are going this Nov, so no late night opportunity for us yet again.

EW

Christine, we have lost count of the number of times we have been up top as the Capt pushes away from the dock and we look out and see a caterman or such, filled with people toasting us with their glasses held high. As they sail off for a wonderful sunset dinner sail around an island or harbour.

Oh I know we get probably the most outstanding view of the sun slowly sinking into the deep blue water on the distant horizon from our perch at the Sunset Bar. But for some reason we have always wanted to be on that little boat with friends watching the twinkling lights of the city in the harbour.:)

But we are going this Nov, so no late night opportunity for us yet again.

EW

I know:) It opens up a whole new world of possibilities and options:D

Agreed...we'll have to disagree on this.:) I absolutely see your point of view, I just don't think Cruise Critic is an accurate representation of the cruising public.

I so hope you are right! I would hate to think that the complaining that has been rampant on Cruise Critic lately is also rampant on the cruise ships. I do NOT want to be around people who complain about any and everything like some do on these forums. I cruise to enjoy myself - not to find things to whine about.

I have no interest spending an overnight on a Caribbean Island. One Island is pretty much the same as the next. I have gone on tours and there really isn't anything all that intersting. I enjoy the day time activities at a beach.The few hours in port is more than enough time for me. If I wanted an extended stay I would book a land vacation. Europe is a different story. With traffic and distance from the port to major cities you need the extra time to cover the many different attractions.

If we have to overnight in Cartenage ( still hoping they will change the new policy, as I would like Costa Maya back on my cruise) I will be going no where. I read a recent travel advisory to still be cautious and if you go out at night go in groups....does that sound like fun?

If we have to overnight in Cartenage ( still hoping they will change the new policy, as I would like Costa Maya back on my cruise) I will be going no where. I read a recent travel advisory to still be cautious and if you go out at night go in groups....does that sound like fun?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like yet another Roll Call group event in the making! Some of the best times on a tour have been in a group from a Cruise Critic Roll Call.