Towel Theft!

So we were at the community pool the other day and noticed a family there that had some nice shiny blue Royal Caribbean towels. Naturally I went up to start a conversation with them and found they were on Oasis this past spring break. The conversation led to the towels and me asking how much they paid for them and where from. Proudly the parents stated they just went and got some from the pool and then packed them in their suitcases in their room and walked off the ship with them. I was dumbfounded by this. Doesn't Royal have checks in place to prevent you from just walking off with towels? This family alone walked off with 5 towels! The worst I have done is maybe sneak on an extra bottle of wine per stateroom, but outright theft of towels? People then wonder why the price of cruises keep going up and perks keep getting cut back....

That's really dumb on a number of levels. Least of which, who wants those cheesy lousy towels bad enough to steal them... OK, i guess these guys, but you can buy better towels at Target for around $10.

Tom

When we were on the Oasis, the only way we could get a RCL towel by the pool was to check them out with our key card. The attendant explained that we could trade a wet towel for a clean dry towel anytime without the card.

She also explained that if the used towels were not returned by the last evening (again checking it back in with same key card that checked them out) the cost of the towel would be applied to our room. At that point, you have just paid for the towel.

It sounds like the folks who the OP saw at the community pool, "bought" themselves used towels. Had they checked their final bill of cabin charges, they would have seen just how much they paid for 5 used towels. I would rather buy a new one in the gift shop.;)

I wonder if these people helped themselves to towels checked out by others... so someone else paid for a missing towel... I'd be ticked if that happened to me. However I don't leave towels on the chair...:rolleyes:

When we were on the Oasis, the only way we could get a RCL towel by the pool was to check them out with our key card. The attendant explained that we could trade a wet towel for a clean dry towel anytime without the card.

She also explained that if the used towels were not returned by the last evening (again checking it back in with same key card that checked them out) the cost of the towel would be applied to our room. At that point, you have just paid for the towel.

It sounds like the folks who the OP saw at the community pool, "bought" themselves used towels. Had they checked their final bill of cabin charges, they would have seen just how much they paid for 5 used towels. I would rather buy a new one in the gift shop.;)

No, they probably had nothing re towels on their final bill. RCCL changed the policy and on my last two cruises (Oasis and Quantum) nobody needed to show their seapasses anymore to get a towel. Makes it easy to steal and it's also a mess around the pool as most people just leave their towels on the chairs when they leave.

No, they probably had nothing re towels on their final bill. RCCL changed the policy and on my last two cruises (Oasis and Quantum) nobody needed to show their seapasses anymore to get a towel. Makes it easy to steal and it's also a mess around the pool as most people just leave their towels on the chairs when they leave.

I'm an early riser...usually doing my morning run by 5:30am....there are towels left everywhere!

Usually on chairs surrounded by empty drink cups...late night partiers?

And these were cruises were you had to show your sea pass card to check them out....the morning crew cleaning up were gathering all the towels...so essentially, these towels, that RCI will use again, were being charged for on someones account....RCI was making money.

What gets me, is these people feel they need to pack these towels for their next cruise??

Edited by B-52

When we went on Adventure earlier this year, they scanned the towels out and then back in. When we were checking in the towels from one of the ports, an officer grabbed my towels and a few other passengers. We walked through the metal detector and the person collecting towels, asked where our towels were (along with the other couples too) We all said an officer took them and we were told they weren't turned into the towel bins and we would be charged 10. per towel!!

We put up a lil stink and we were all scanned as turning the towels in...

I dont see the need to steal towels regardless if they are a Cruise Line Towels or a Hotel Towels or anything for that matter. If I can't afford it, I don't need it.

Actually, if you get a "towel" charge, all you do is call them, and they take the charge off. Same with a "mini-bar" charge.

Yes..they CAN charge for towels, but they rarely do...and if they do, the charges rarely "stick"!

Not advocating stealing towels at all....just telling you how it works!

Edited by cb at sea

You know...light slowly turning on after first cup of coffee...the towels might make a great gift. Every once and a while someone asks about how to surprise their kids or family for their first cruise. What about a pool towel with the Royal logo.

Ewww...used towels.

I don't care how much you wash them. Any idea how many former butts were

sitting on those towels?? :eek: :p :p

If that bothers you, then you should not think about the sheets used in the stateroom beds.

That's really dumb on a number of levels. Least of which, who wants those cheesy lousy towels bad enough to steal them... OK, i guess these guys, but you can buy better towels at Target for around $10.

Tom

and who has room to add that kind of weight to there luggage? It never fails, when coming home I am at 49 lbs. on the nose.:eek: (I take a luggage scale because I'm always close)