RCCL Take Note...... Follow Carnival

At first, Bad idea, then as you read, this is a very Fair Comprimise for all of us that like to bring water on board. Do you think RCL will follow? I say YES!!

Opinions and suggestions? But read the whole article from John Heald.......

From John Heald......

Often times, we find guests transporting alcohol onboard through unauthorized means resulting in unmonitored consumption of alcohol. Unfortunately, this has led to behavioral and safety related concerns. We have also found that bottled beverages are frequently used to transport alcohol and the screening measures needed to validate the contents delay the embarkation process for all guests. For these reasons, we find it necessary to modify our Liquor and Beverage policy, including restricting guests from bringing bottled beverages aboard our ships.

To avoid any potential disappointment at the start of your cruise, please familiarize yourselves with our new Liquor and Beverage Policy below, which will be strictly enforced.

• Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

• A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day only in guests’ carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

• Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception:

o At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage.

o A $15 corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine served that was not bought on the premises), per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, steakhouse or bar.

• All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of the exceptions referenced above are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

• All alcohol purchased in ports of call or in the Fun Shops will be returned on the morning of debarkation.

• Guests are prohibited from bringing large coolers onboard since screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security process. However small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12”H x 12”L x 12”W for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

We know some of our guests are accustomed to bringing on their own supply of bottled water so as part of this new policy we have significantly reduced the pricing for spring bottled water which will be conveniently delivered directly to your stateroom. Pricing is as follows:

o $2.99 (plus tax) for a 12-pack of 500 ML of bottled water for pre-cruise purchase. Please visit http://www.carnival.com/funshops to place your order before your cruise to ensure we have an ample supply onboard.

o $4.99 (plus gratuities) for a 12-pack of 500 ML of bottled water for purchase onboard.

We sincerely apologize for any disappointment these changes may cause however, we firmly believe this will result in a safer environment while also improving the embarkation process and the overall guest experience.

So there you go, please as always add your thoughts below and the first person to use the ‪#‎watergate‬ wins a photo of me mostly naked with a Evian bottle covering my dangly bits

cheers

Saw this earlier and the response on the CCL board so far has been very positive. Especially when they offer the ability to pre-cruise purchase very reasonably priced bottled water for delivery to your cabin - $2.99 (plus local tax) for a twelve pack of 500ml (~16 oz.) bottles. Less than 30 cents per bottle.

I was going to post the same thing. I wish RCI would offer some decent bottles of water at a reasonable price. I know the ship's water is safe but I like the convenience of bottled water in my cabin - I drink a lot of it all day and night and the tepid water from the bathroom sink is gross.

If I could buy a 12 pack for $2.99 like on Carnival I'd buy at least 2 cases for a 7 night. I don't like evian water and at $47 CDN it is far from a reasonable price for water.:mad:

Edited by The Sunset Glow

Royal kinda has the same policy. On any Royal ship is not allowed to bring any alcohol or non-alcohol beverage. Normally a minimal amount of bottle of water that fit in your carry-on security will let you pass. The wine is same with the only difference Carnival charge you a $15 corkage fee and Royal doesn't charge you a corkage fee. What they should follow is the discounted bottle water price. :):):)

Loyal to Royal...

Heck, even if RCI charged twice that much for 12 packs of bottled water, I think a lot of passengers would take advantage of it.

Please, don't give them ideas!;)

I don't mind them making a little bit of profit. Double that would only be $6 to pre-purchase a 12-pack for your cruise. I could live with 50 cents per bottle. :)

Heck, even if RCI charged twice that much for 12 packs of bottled water, I think a lot of passengers would take advantage of it.

LOL Paul, I had that in my post above but edited it out because of this from Bob:

:D:D

Saw this earlier and the response on the CCL board so far has been very positive. Especially when they offer the ability to pre-cruise purchase very reasonably priced bottled water for delivery to your cabin - $2.99 (plus local tax) for a twelve pack of 500ml (~16 oz.) bottles. Less than 30 cents per bottle.

I have a NYE cruise booked on Independence but also a January 30 cruise booked on CCL Breeze. I purchased 3-12 packs of water for under $10. It was a no-brainer. One less thing for me to pack and purchase and get to the port. I know I don't HAVE to do it but we always bring water (I only drink water or alcohol LOL) so this is a big help.

Royal kinda has the same policy. On any Royal ship is not allowed to bring any alcohol or non-alcohol beverage. Normally a minimal amount of bottle of water that fit in your carry-on security will let you pass. The wine is same with the only difference Carnival charge you a $15 corkage fee and Royal doesn't charge you a corkage fee. What they should follow is the discounted bottle water price. :):):)

Loyal to Royal...

Except there are never ending posts here about RCCL allowing people to check and bring aboard cases of bottled water.......

It would be a nice change if they offered water at a reasonable price.

I think this would be good for all parties involved. For example, if you bring on many bottles of water or soda you have to either try to check it through luggage (making more of a hassle for the luggage handlers) or carry it through security (slowing down security check through).

And, if you carry the water or soda on you have to pack it around until your room is ready if you get on earlier than 2p. That means you either need to dedicate a rolling cart or tote a heavy backpack.

If people could pre-order water (or maybe even cans of soda) at a discounted price then that would save the customer the hassled of packing it on and the luggage guys the hassle of getting it to their rooms.

The downside is someone would have to deliver the cases of water to people's rooms.

Another benefit is if the water is pre-ordered the cruise line can have a better idea of how much will be needed.

Another thing I read into this... it's unfortunate that people feel the need to try to smuggle booze on in water bottles. I get the impression that this whole direction is caused by a fear of people over drinking in the cabins where there isn't a bartender to technically cut them off. I know they also want people to purchase their over priced drinks, but this other is a valid justification at least.

I say good on Carnival for trying to come up with a win-win rather than just telling everyone they can't bring anything on board any longer.

Tom

I think a reasonable price for a 12 pack is great. My mom usually only needs, however, a single bottle of water for the week (most of the time she takes her pills with milk or something else to coat her stomach) and we have the water selected as our D and D+ gift, so we're okay.

I think it would be great if Royal followed suit and lowered the price, especially considering the rise in alcohol pricing recently.

Heck, buying a bottle of water in the vending machine at Costco is only $.50 and I consider that a bargain.

On comment cards at the end of the cruise I have suggested they sell Poland Spring Water (or Dasani) as Evian is disgusting. I told them I'm not buying Evian, and would be happy to purchase Poland Spring or Dasani if made available on the ship. (Dasani is a Coke product, so I not sure why they don't already offer it, unless because of a contract with Evian.)

As for sneaking alcohol in bottles, I think it would be done using Mouthwash bottles as seen in YouTube videos.

In port I buy a few bottles of Dasani or Aquafina and have no trouble bringing them onboard as long as they are UNOPENED. If they have been OPENED, then they do not allow you to bring the bottle onboard the ship.

Current Royal policy seems to work fine.

I love the idea of reasonably priced bottled water for sale either pre-cruise or on the ship. I have tried to avoid drinking too much of the ship's water lately as it causes swelling in my feet and ankles late each evening. I would love to be able to buy bottled spring water at those prices! Royal, please take note and offer this to your customers!

Mary Anne

One of the reasons I balked at cruising on RCL over CCL is the fact that I can't bring water. Bottled water and cocktails is literally ALL I will drink on a cruise--I don't drink soda or beer. Hubby and I threw a couple of bottles in my tote bag whenever we left the ship. Bottled water is all I drink, period, I won't drink tap water at home or anywhere else.

So at least now I won't feel so bad. It is good to know I can bring unopened bottled water from port, I guess that is what I will do. I feel bad for the Carnival cruisers though, that was a nice perk.

Edited by Beachiekeen

I love permission to bring 12 cans of soda and to buy cheap bottled water for excursions!! Excellent!

Interestingly - within the past few months, Disneyworld Resorts have also started to offer bottled water at a more affordable rate - 6-7$/24 pack of 12 oz bottles. Not as cheap as the grocery store, but Might be enough to cut down on the rate of deliveries from outside venders that are clogging up guest services.

It would be great if Royal could follow suit!

I was reading a Carnival Glory review the other day and the person doing it bragged about how they were able to sneak in alcohol onboard by filling up a water bottle mostly full and then walking on with it as if it is just a bottle she is drinking from while boarding.

When I read the review I thought about how it was kind of clever as the port people aren't going to be sniffing the bottle you have in your hand and are currently drinking from.

Now I see that Carnival is banning water bottles from being brought onboard and I have to think it is in direct response to smugglers.

So it appears to be a case of smugglers ruining a good thing for everyone else at least in this case. Regardless of how you feel about smugglers, when they cause a loss of a benefit like this it is hard to not condemn them. :)

Edited by NightOne

I was reading a Carnival Glory review the other day and the person doing it bragged about how they were able to sneak in alcohol onboard by filling up a water bottle mostly full and then walking on with it as if it is just a bottle she is drinking from while boarding.

When I read the review I thought about how it was kind of clever as the port people aren't going to be sniffing the bottle you have in your hand and are currently drinking from.

Now I see that Carnival is banning water bottles from being brought onboard and I have to think it is in direct response to smugglers.

So it appears to be a case of smugglers ruining a good thing for everyone else at least in this case. Regardless of how you feel about smugglers, when they cause a loss of a benefit like this it is hard to not condemn them. :)

The Carnival cruise I went on if you were carrying an open bottle of water while boarding, it got thrown in the trash.