Lobster

Lobsters are priced higher because of the unusually cold water this year. The report I heard indicated lobster prices should stabilize as the water temperature starts to rise.

Hi

Just a warning for those who love lobster . On News tonight the are saying the price is skyhigh and going up. Not sure why but its going to cost you for that lobster.

Mary

Lobster has gone up by about 30%.

Still cheaper than it was ten years ago. "Skyhigh" is relative to the depressed prices of the last several years.

Lobster prices were extremely high two years ago. They're high again this year. The prices haven't been truly depressed since 2001.

Lobster prices were extremely high two years ago. They're high again this year. The prices haven't been truly depressed since 2001.

Don't let our lobster fisherman hear you say that:eek:

Their prices were down for their catches significantly last year and I believe the year before.

I haven't seen a major price increase here but we do live in lobster country ;)

My lobster pound was selling two pound lobsters last summer the lowest I'd seen for some time. The prices are definitely higher this year but they predict as the water warms the prices will drop some. Where I buy lobsters, the boats come in daily with fresh supply. They are not held long in the tanks..... lobster country. :)

Edited by sail7seas

My lobster pound was selling two pound lobsters last summer the lowest I'd seen for some time. The prices are definitely higher this year but they predict as the water warms the prices will drop some. Where I buy lobsters, the boats come in daily with fresh supply. They are not held long in the tanks..... lobster country. :)

Judy, do you cook them yourself or have the pound do it and crack it for you. That's what I used to do, but there are no pounds around here. We're only 45 minutes from the Jersey Shore so maybe this year I'll look for some lobster pounds. Find lobster, will travel.

I always steamed the lobsters and steamed the clams myself but the last few times I got them, the pound cooked them for me. They are easy enough to steam but a nuisance to drag out the big lobster pot. :)

Do you get cold or warm water lobsters in Florida?

They're warm water ones here. We don't like them very much, so we always wait until we go back to Maine. It's funny. We have a trip planned for this summer and DW already has her lobster eating all planned out.

Lobster white pizza with truffle oil drizzle & lobster pot pie at the Kennebunk Inn. Lobster roll at Stripers in Kennebunkport. Regular old lobster at the Ogunquit Lobster Pound. Lobster club sandwich at the Arundel Wharf in Kennebunkport, and finally the lobster over homemade fettuccine with coral cognac butter sauce at the White Barn Inn.

That will hold her for a while. ;)

The secret to cooking lobster is to hypnotize them by standing them on their heads and rubbing their back with a pencil or a dowel until they go rigid (they will stand on their heads alone for a minute or so before they wake up and tip over). That way, when you drop,them in the boiling water they do not thrash around - and are a lot more tender.

Additionally, you can win side bets from your guests who do not believe that you can make a lobster stand on his head.

WOW! Have never heard anyone talk about that or knew about it in 45 yrs.! Used to work with a chef that, always, before dropping lobster into the pot, you had to "put him to sleep" by turning on nose, stroking the tail, not with pencil or anything, but with your hand & then into the pot! He said that they were then relaxed going into the pot & meat was more tender... Don't know about it, but... Yes, cool trick!!! Do always do it to ours. Have shown a number of folks this way to put a lobster "to sleep". Lots of fun!!!

Just went to dinner at our our favorite place in La Jolla called Eddie V's!

Hold on to this!

Cold water lobster whole market price $109.00!

When we were in Paris last month on buisness we ate at Le Dome where their whole Blue lobsters market price was $89.00 euros.

Denise:)

They're warm water ones here. We don't like them very much, so we always wait until we go back to Maine. It's funny. We have a trip planned for this summer and DW already has her lobster eating all planned out.

Lobster white pizza with truffle oil drizzle & lobster pot pie at the Kennebunk Inn. Lobster roll at Stripers in Kennebunkport. Regular old lobster at the Ogunquit Lobster Pound. Lobster club sandwich at the Arundel Wharf in Kennebunkport, and finally the lobster over homemade fettuccine with coral cognac butter sauce at the White Barn Inn.

We and some friends spent a New Year's Eve weekend at Kennebunk Inn some years ago. It was wonderful. Great memories. :)

Just went to dinner at our our favorite place in La Jolla called Eddie V's!

Hold on to this!

Cold water lobster whole market price $109.00!

When we were in Paris last month on buisness we ate at Le Dome where their whole Blue lobsters market price was $89.00 euros.

Denise:)

How big a lobster? That isn't per pound is it?

A number of years ago we did a 14 day Canada/New England cruise and I did a "Live" report on lobsters -- mostly lobster rolls and which ports had the best ones -- more lobster and less fillers.

The secret to cooking lobster is to hypnotize them by standing them on their heads and rubbing their back with a pencil or a dowel until they go rigid (they will stand on their heads alone for a minute or so before they wake up and tip over). That way, when you drop,them in the boiling water they do not thrash around - and are a lot more tender.

Additionally, you can win side bets from your guests who do not believe that you can make a lobster stand on his head.

I love this idea.

A number of years ago we did a 14 day Canada/New England cruise and I did a "Live" report on lobsters -- mostly lobster rolls and which ports had the best ones -- more lobster and less fillers.

I'm going to give up on lobster rolls. I like lobster but I don't find the rolls that great. I went to a place in May in bar harbor that someone recommended on cc. The lobster roll was $26 and not exactly big. That's about $33 canadian and no way was it worth it. Would love to taste the lobster pizza that POA talked about. That sounds yummy. I've tasted lobster rolls in many ports and I haven't been impressed with any of them.

What are you all doing? If you saw a roach climb out of reeking trash can would your first thought be to 'I CAN'T WAIT TO EAT THAT!!!'?

Prolly not, so why are you eating lobster, crabs, shrimp and such? Different biosphere but an animal from the same niche.