Question about cruise insurance..

If we are traveling in July is there any cruise insurance we can still buy?? I know from the outside its to late thru RCCL. Can someone recommend a good one?

If you need to have a "Pre-Existing Waiver" than note that the insurance must be purchased within a specified period of time which is t generally 10-15 from initial booking.

Insuremytrip.com is my favorite, also. The further out you are from initial deposit the higher the cost, but I've always found their prices reasonable.

Shop the policies for what you really need, and check your credit card used for what it provides. Many credit cards now offer some basic travel insurance.

Insuremytrip.com is my favorite, also. The further out you are from initial deposit the higher the cost, but I've always found their prices reasonable.

Shop the policies for what you really need, and check your credit card used for what it provides. Many credit cards now offer some basic travel insurance.

Really? Never knew this. I'll purchase the insurance sooner. I generally did not purchase insurance until I had to make final payment or buy air tickets, which ever came first. I thought there was no need to purchase insurance earlier if I had not incurred any non refundable expenses.

Thanks M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Really? Never knew this. I'll purchase the insurance sooner.

Thanks M

Yes, I found this out on our last trip this past April/May 2015. It was a long one, and my Dad had been on hospice care for over a year, plus my husband's mother is 91.

I booked the cruise in March 2014, knowing I would have to get the insurance. I finally purchased it with our early final payment from RCCL, but priced it with insuremytrip from April to December last year. It went up about $50 per person in that timeframe.

Dad passed in January this year, but my MIL seems to be doing good. Travel insurance is just part of our life now, because we need it for cancellation. Our medical is worldwide, and our credit card covers some trip interruption and lost luggage, so it's the cancellation in case of MIL medical issues that we need now.

Edited by pcur

Peggy -

so If I purchase insurance early and decided not to go on the cruise, (canceling prior to final payment or purchasing air tickets) haven't I wasted my money on insurance for a trip I will not take? I guess I will have to look at my options for the time to purchase the insurance.

Is it possible that you were a few months older at the second quote and fell into some "older" category and that was the reason for the increase?

Thanks for the info

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

booked through a travel agent outside of RC. She is suggesting we do travel insurance as well even though we aren't flying to port because we are taking our two small children with us so you never know if they would get hurt or whatever. But for the 4 of us for our 10 day cruise its only a little over $100, and she said she can offer that price to us at final payment vs paying a few months ago when she suggested it and gave us the quote.

Peggy -

so If I purchase insurance early and decided not to go on the cruise, (canceling prior to final payment or purchasing air tickets) haven't I wasted my money on insurance for a trip I will not take? I guess I will have to look at my options for the time to purchase the insurance.

Is it possible that you were a few months older at the second quote and fell into some "older" category and that was the reason for the increase?

Thanks for the info

M

Yes, you would lose the money you paid for insurance, unless you bought CruiseCare through RCCL. They would refund all your money if you cancel prior to final payment date.

However, the cancellation benefit is paid out in future cruise credit, and at 75%, which is fine with us.

Once you are past final payment date you have paid for the insurance, and it's non-refundable.

I have had insurance through insuremytrip and moved the reservation to another cruise. They very nicely moved my insurance with it after I called and explained the situation.

They base the insurance on your full year age, so the months don't matter. The fill-in forms I've used all ask for the age in years.

booked through a travel agent outside of RC. She is suggesting we do travel insurance as well even though we aren't flying to port because we are taking our two small children with us so you never know if they would get hurt or whatever. But for the 4 of us for our 10 day cruise its only a little over $100, and she said she can offer that price to us at final payment vs paying a few months ago when she suggested it and gave us the quote.

Yes, travel agent insurance can be more flexible, since they do volume business with the same company for all their travel insurance.

Yes, you would lose the money you paid for insurance, unless you bought CruiseCare through RCCL. They would refund all your money if you cancel prior to final payment date.

However, the cancellation benefit is paid out in future cruise credit, and at 75%, which is fine with us.

Once you are past final payment date you have paid for the insurance, and it's non-refundable.

I have had insurance through insuremytrip and moved the reservation to another cruise. They very nicely moved my insurance with it after I called and explained the situation.

They base the insurance on your full year age, so the months don't matter. The fill-in forms I've used all ask for the age in years.

Thanks

M

First make certain that t you fully understand the terms & conditions of the policy the TA is offering meets your overall needs in the unlikely event it will a claim will be filed.

Suggest you also look at Nationwide's Universal Cruise policy as coverage is free for 2 children under that age of 18 traveling with a paying adult. Additionally the insurance does need to be purchased until right before the cruise final payment period.

Here's the link http://travel.nationwide.com/plans-cruise.html

Disclaimer - Have no affiliation with Nationwide nor do I sell insurance. Rather Nationwide used to underwrite several cruise policies for other companies but decided to offer their own plans instead.

Edited by xxoocruiser

" so If I purchase insurance early and decided not to go on the cruise, (canceling prior to final payment or purchasing air tickets) haven't I wasted my money on insurance for a trip I will not take? I guess I will have to look at my options for the time to purchase the insurance."

Yes. But, especially if you buy the insurance that has the pre-existing condition waiver, if you DO decide to take the trip but then have to cancel late in the day or even once on the ship, and IF it is because of a condition that was already diagnosed, then you're covered.

If you buy it right before final payment, it's not going to include that waiver, and you will ONLY be covered if it's a brand new condition.

So if I suddenly have a heart attack, it would be covered because I have no diagnosed heart problems. If I have a massive asthma attack and it cuts short my trip, it's not, because I have that diagnosed already.

Depends on you and your family (and family back home that you might have to stay home for last minute, or go back home for, depending on your insurance) and what's in their medical backgrounds, whether you need that waiver or not.

Also, make sure that the insurance you buy is primary insurance and is not subrogated to your health insurance.

For this reason we always buy Travel Safe. Then we don't have to to go through the nonsense of having to file with our health insurance and getting a denial before filing with the travel insurance company (for claims involving money spent on health care out of the country). Reimbursement is much faster and we get the full benefit of the travel insurance.

Otherwise, if you have health insurance that covers you out of the country (lucky few) you have to get reimbursed by them first and then the travel insurance just covers the copay or whatever part of the claim that was denied.

Be sure to read the company's definition of pre existing conditions. You may not have a pre existing condition as defined in the policy even if you have a previous history. In some cases it is determined by a recent (several months, for example) treatment or diagnosis.