Classic Beverage Package "Know Before You Go"

jer_l

We just returned from an amazing 12-day cruise to Alaska on the Infinity. The one "fly in the ointment" so to speak was the beverage package. The bar menus in both the Constellation and Rendezvous lounges had on premium cocktails listed. The first day I asked a bar tender what was available with the classic package and was told that if I looked at the menu I would see that none of the cocktails were on the classic package and that I should pay to upgrade to premium. The first few days bar tenders and servers were trying hard to get everyone to upgrade to the premium package and in the 12 days I never saw a list for classic cocktails. (The wine stewards, on the other hand, were very helpful in the dining room, Q'sine, and SS United States restaurant. They would ask if you had a beverage package and then tell you what they had available and kept refilling your wine glass when it was low.)

On day 3 the hotel manager sent out a form asking what they could do better. I wrote about the drink package and heard back from him the next day. He said that while the menus featured only the premium cocktails that I could order anything on the classic package. The only cocktail he knew for sure was a Long Island Ice Tea. At that point I used my internet minutes to come on cruise critic and find the list. Once I knew what was on the list I had no problems ordering.

The key is knowing before you go what is included if you have the classic package.

It's pretty much a no brainer that upgrading to the Premium package is the only way to go. If you already received the Classic as a 123 bonus, it's just $10 plus gratuity a day.....c'mon man, that's not even one good martini. And you don't have to keep asking "is there anything other than this really cheap wine I can have on the Classic package?"

It's pretty much a no brainer that upgrading to the Premium package is the only way to go. If you already received the Classic as a 123 bonus, it's just $10 plus gratuity a day.....c'mon man, that's not even one good martini. And you don't have to keep asking "is there anything other than this really cheap wine I can have on the Classic package?"

Not really. For a short 7 night cruise for two, the upgrade comes to just over $165.00 with gratuity. If you are Canadian, that is about $200. Not convinced this is a smart way to spend $200.00.

Our next cruise is 12 nights so that comes to roughly $340. CDN. You don't really get enough extra for the money. When we were on the Summit last fall, I got a really nice red Shiraz with my classic package.

I will add to the original poster, that the Rendez-vous lounge is the worst for pressuring you to upgrade your drink package. We started getting our drinks elsewhere on the ship because they were nasty. I felt like I was being pitched a time share.

There was plenty to drink on the classic package just 6 months ago. I wonder if it has changed much. We were able to get cocktails and smaller size martinis with Absolut, Ketel One, Tanqueray, Bombay Saphire, Bacardi, Milagro Silver, Cuervo Gold, Patron. We had cordials like B&B, Drambuie, Sambuca. We were offered a selection of red and white wines. There was no cocktail "menu" or list to choose from. There was a list of the brands of liquors included in classic (a bar manager gave us a copy), and we just ordered drinks and chose the brand and never were charged. At the martini bar we would say "I'd like the cosmo on the classic package", or "I'd like the Bombay Saphire gin dry martini on the classic package".

Thanks for taking the time to post.

How much was it to upgrade? Celebrity must be putting the pressure on the ships to bring up the on board revenue.

It was $10 a day per person on our cruise.

Edited by jer_l

Not really. For a short 7 night cruise for two, the upgrade comes to just over $165.00 with gratuity. If you are Canadian, that is about $200. Not convinced this is a smart way to spend $200.00.

Our next cruise is 12 nights so that comes to roughly $340. CDN. You don't really get enough extra for the money. When we were on the Summit last fall, I got a really nice red Shiraz with my classic package.

I will add to the original poster, that the Rendez-vous lounge is the worst for pressuring you to upgrade your drink package. We started getting our drinks elsewhere on the ship because they were nasty. I felt like I was being pitched a time share.

Yes, the Rendezvous lounge was the worst and it did feel at times like a time share pitch.

Once we knew what we could order we were quite happy with the classic package. We are definitely not wine connoisseurs and drink only white wines. There was an organic chardonnay that we enjoyed and a prosecco when we wanted sparkling wine. Most of the foods we enjoy go well with white wine so we were pleased. As I said in the original post, the wine stewards were great and made suggestions from our package. We frequently had to say we've had enough because they were quite willing to keep refilling the glasses.

I would say for many the upsell to premium would be a good deal, but not for us. I'm certain that some upgraded, but I only heard "no's" from those around me often followed by a "I wish they would quit asking" after the server left.

That simply is NOT the point!

No one should have to search to find out what is included in THEIR beverage package. The upsells are getting ridiculous, as are the thousands of questions posted here on a regular basis regarding the classic package. Celebrity is providing a perk, (via higher fares, mind you!) and they need to support THAT perk with information and have is clearly posted in menus at the various bars. It's not that damn difficult, and the OP shouldn't have to play guessing games or search the internet while sailing. :(

It's pretty much a no brainer that upgrading to the Premium package is the only way to go.

I disagree. Now, I dunno what is different since 2013 since the link above showed a specific link of drinks (instead of "Drinks $9 or less") but on my 16 night cruise with the classic package, I never once wished for the premium. There are definite cases for it being an easy choice (wine & martini drinkers for sure), but not everyone needs a Premium package any more than everyone needs a classic package (my wife for example doesn't drink much).

No one should have to search to find out what is included in THEIR beverage package.

SERIOUSLY. If I had experienced what the OP did, I would have not only refused, but I would not have waited three minutes, let alone days, to find a bar manager.

Thank you so much, Jerry, for starting this thread. We have the Classic Package for our cruise in July and I wondered how it worked.

Neither of us are big drinkers and don't care about premium brands but I would be unhappy to have pressure from staff to upgrade. That sounds like sharp practice :( and, like Gig stated in their post, I would be asking for clarification from the Bar Manager immediately and then taking it further if not satified. Hopefully, I won't have to do that as I am wanting to have a relaxing cruise not a confrontational one.

Ideally I would like to be able to order something from the Classic Package anywhere on the ship, and be offered advice and suggestions where necessary.

I agree it does not seem much to 'upgrade' and be able to order freely, but knowing what is available without doing so should be easier to find. Not everyone has the perk of a Classic package to simply upgrade as a 'no brainer'. Many still have to buy the package in the first place. So as a product that can cost a chunk of money it should come with better information readily available in the various bars.

You are a Celebrity Barman and I claim my £5 :D

I hate martini's and really can't justify paying nearly $200 more to get a drinks package fit for purpose, all I want is for Celebrity Barman to know what is what.

Now I know Celebrity is doing the bait and switch.

On Summit 3 weeks ago you couldn't find any PREMIUM wines in most of the bars. They must have bought out stock in Beringer, that was the only white wine they provided freely in all bars. We were really annoyed that you couldn't get wines previously even on the PREMIUM list. The only place you could have much of a choice on the PREMIUM package was in the dining room and that left a lot to be desired.

No pressure since we already had the premium packages and it was a no-brainer since we had the Classic. BUT, Celebrity better stop this baloney because since 1992 we have sailed only with them and now they are like any other line, sell, sell, sell and it's only getting worse.

Yes, we did comment strongly but you know it won't do any good.

PatC

On our last cruise (Apr/2014) we upgraded our perk in order to avoid asking all the time if what I was ordering was covered under the classic package. Other that the molecule bar (which is now gone) all of the drinks that we had on the ship was covered by the classic package.

Celebrity does not want to post clear drink menus because they want to be able to delete items at will or pressure people to upgrade for an extra cost.

For the people that think it just a few dollars more to upgrade,,, do you seriously think that you have not already paid for your perk ?? ;)

What about the people who chose a different perk, don't have a drink package and are purchasing drinks individually? Celebrity is doing a disservice to them by not offering the complete menu. As a matter of fact they may think the prices of the drinks are too high and not purchase anything at all. We drink classic martini's, Bloody Mary, and other traditional drinks. We don't care for the sweet dessert cocktails that they serve in the Martini bar so it really doesn't pay for us to upgrade.

How is it that they can't tell you onboard which beverages/cocktails are covered under the Classic package? Let's say you read the list from these forums ahead of time and specifically ask for one of the listed drinks. Do they all of a sudden know that that particular drink IS covered?

I was already planning to upgrade to Premium, but if they are out of a lot of the better wines, I'll just stick to the Classic package and drink coffee and smoothies. I'll buy myself a couple of nice bottles of wine when I get home and enjoy them post-cruise.

One tip and one trap: before you get on the ship, load a bartender's manual/recipe book on your Kindle. That way you can look up new "classic" drinks to ask for on board that will fit in the beverage package. One my first Celebrity cruise I thought the drink of the day would be included in the classic beverage package. Nope, it isn't.

One tip and one trap: before you get on the ship, load a bartender's manual/recipe book on your Kindle. That way you can look up new "classic" drinks to ask for on board that will fit in the beverage package. One my first Celebrity cruise I thought the drink of the day would be included in the classic beverage package. Nope, it isn't.

Wish I had known that on my first X cruise as well, I had premium package and still got stung for the plastic glass.:(

Just off May Infinity trip, upgraded for $10 pp/pday plus 18?%. AS I posted on another bev pkg thread, 1) pick up a bev pkg flyer at Guest Relations at start of your sailing. This shows brands (Jack Daniels, Jose Cuervo, Beefeaters, etc) available for classic cocktails on board in stock for that sailing.

2) When asking for your preferred cocktail, specify e.g. J Daniels whiskey sour, Cuervo margarita, etc. If you don't specify your liquor, you can get house brand drink. just like at all bars at home So, just be an informed consumer. I had to show bev-pkg list to bartender for Cazadores tequila when he didn't realize it was classic. Not all bars stocked every liquor brand due to shelf space, popularity volume, etc.

Personally, 1) I find the class bev pkg a great booking perk and 2) am surprised how much better a premium drink (e.g. Patron and Cointreau margarita) tastes than Cuervo/TripSec. So I find upgrade worth it for sake of avg 5 premium drinks each day. HAPPY CRUISING

Ummm. No. That's your opinion.

We had NO problems with the classic package, although we have no interest in martinis. We were able to get our Tanqueray and tonics, any of the fruity drinks or other mixed drinks, as well as decent wines with dinner. Mojitos were my fave - done really well at most of the bars - especially the Sunset bar :) Specialty coffees and coffee cocktails were another treat - and all on the Classic package.

$11.80 a day per person per day for the length of the cruise adds up. We were fine without upgrading, and would do it again without upgrading.

How is it that they can't tell you onboard which beverages/cocktails are covered under the Classic package? Let's say you read the list from these forums ahead of time and specifically ask for one of the listed drinks. Do they all of a sudden know that that particular drink IS covered?

I was already planning to upgrade to Premium, but if they are out of a lot of the better wines, I'll just stick to the Classic package and drink coffee and smoothies. I'll buy myself a couple of nice bottles of wine when I get home and enjoy them post-cruise.

They can't tell you what cocktails are included in classic, because 95% of them (regular cocktails, a/k/a mixed drinks) are, as long as you don't specify that you want one of the Premium brands of liquor.

If they put out a list, and say that Margaritas are included in the classic, and then you order one with a Premium brand, it's NOT included. That alone would likely start causing issues and people would complain that they lied.

They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.