Have I gone mad? Last Minute Cruise

Hi,

I have been MIA for a while because well, I almost died in a rollover accident on Nov 22nd. Witnesses swear my Suburban flipped 9-10 times, I had to be cut from the truck and lifeflighted to a trauma center. I just got out of my neck brace last week, I broke my humerus, crushed my elbow and was pretty much scalped and required skin graft surgery to cover my exposed skull. My kids injuries were minor in comparison, a broken arm, skull fracture and sprained leg.

Anyway we had a DCL trip planned in April that had to be cancelled, I was homebound for months, I am still not 100% as about 25% of my head has no hair and I have not been cleared for wigs yet. But I can wear hats and hope to be cleared for wigs by my plastic surgeon the week of the cruise before we leave, if I book it.

Despite all this, I really want to get away. I don't know if I am running from my new reality or if I just need to make up to cancelled DCL trip to my kids and make up for the fact that our whole family has had a hard 6 months.

I waited to book due to the neck brace but I started looking and its tough fitting a trip in with the kids camp schedule and a family reunion in July. BUT my PVP called today and was able to find a cruise that did not have schedule conflicts. 8 days on the Carnival Sunshine to Aruba, Curacaco and Grand Turk. But it leaves in 2 weeks on 6/27!!!!:eek: I have not been to any of these ports, have no clue what to do there and am on a tight budget since its last minute. I can pay for the cruise and gratuities and stuff but crazy $100 per person excursions are not happening this trip.

I admit I feel a lot of guilt for what my family had endured due to my injuries. Especially my kids (ages 9 and 13). It would be a good friend and I with the kids. My husband took 3 months off to care for me and did not want to take off a week in June when he is taking a trip to Vegas to see a family member in July.

So would you say "screw it, I almost died, you only live once" and go for the impulsive cruise 2 weeks away. Or wait and do something later in the year.

As a planner this feels nuts, but a part of me has this need to run away from life and relax for a week. Try to find my balance again.

What do you think?

Edited by Dreacrusingaway

Also happy you and your kids are on the mend:)

While you have every right and reason to go I feel bad for your DH.

I would wait until the whole family could go, and money was not so tight.

If you do decide to go have a great time, if not then enjoy planning your next cruise :D

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

First of all, thank God you survived and I wish you a full recovery. You should feel no guilt over

What you put your family through. I think that's a female thing especially as a Mom. Been there done that. 😃 I'm sure if your husband had been the injured party, you would have done the same for him. That's what love and family is all about.

As long as your husband has no resentment that you are cruising, I would jump on it!

You need a respite as well as your kids. Life is way too short. God doesn't promise us tomorrow.

Please report back if you pull the trigger ( I hope you do) and have a fabulous time.

Rather than feel guilty about what you have put the family through, they should be feeling thankful that they still have you, no matter the long road to recovery. If you can afford it without doing critical damage to the budget, go for it. You do not need excursions in any of those ports. Grand Turk is a beach day, or relax at the pool at Margaritaville. Curacao is a beautiful port where you can just walk around and enjoy the colorful buildings and swinging bridge. Aruba, you can just take a taxi to a beach or resort. the Ports of Call boards can help you figure it out. EM

I think that any cruise is a GREAT last minute vacation option. You can literally just pack your things and get on the ship and you should have a good time, especially if you're determined to do so. As for the ports, you won't need an excursion in Grand Turk and that can easily be a low-cost beach day. That leaves you with only two other ports...and you're already in the BEST place on the web to search for economical things to do in port...just go the port of call boards and briefly search for beach days, as those take the least planning.

You & Your family has been thru a very dark time -- as you well know!

Everyone's focus for months has been on what happened, getting thru it & recovering. You all did what you HAD to do.

Now you all need to focus on being 'recovered' (for the most part) & the future.

A week of sun, relaxation, pampering & being together would be a great transition from "before" to NOW! Salt & Sea Therapy!

Best wishes for your continued recovery.:)

So sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are on the mend.

I think you should go provided you feel up to it. On my last Caribbean cruise we did not book any excursions and had a great time. Enjoy a local beach, walking around, or (one of my favorites) stay onboard and have your own private ship.

I think we are going to go for it. My husband does not feel bad since he gets a week in Vegas in July plus we won't have to pay to board the dogs, or worry about the guinea pigs or fish.

I told a very good friend about it last night and she wants to go with us. So I will have an extra adult with the kids and a friend I have known for 39 years since we were 2 with me. I am getting really excited!! I really need this.

My 9 year old is away at horseback camp and we pick her up in the morning. I cannot wait to tell her. She will be thrilled about the trip!!

Thanks so much for the support!! I appreciate it!!

i think we are going to go for it. My husband does not feel bad since he gets a week in vegas in july plus we won't have to pay to board the dogs, or worry about the guinea pigs or fish.

I told a very good friend about it last night and she wants to go with us. So i will have an extra adult with the kids and a friend i have known for 39 years since we were 2 with me. I am getting really excited!! I really need this.

My 9 year old is away at horseback camp and we pick her up in the morning. I cannot wait to tell her. She will be thrilled about the trip!!

great decision!!!!!!!

I'm glad you are going to go and enjoy the cruise! Our first cruise was after I got out of a long hospital stay and near-death experience. I was still very weak and shaky by the time we went on the cruise, but that's the beauty of a cruise, I could sit anywhere anytime I needed. And it was the BEST thing for both DH and I to breath deep and start to recover emotionally from all we had been through.

Hope you have a WONDERFUL time with your friend and kids!

I think we are going to go for it. My husband does not feel bad since he gets a week in Vegas in July plus we won't have to pay to board the dogs, or worry about the guinea pigs or fish.

I told a very good friend about it last night and she wants to go with us. So I will have an extra adult with the kids and a friend I have known for 39 years since we were 2 with me. I am getting really excited!! I really need this.

So very glad you are going for it! Sounds like your husband is a gem who loves you very much! 😃

Enjoy every minute ! I do hope you post on this thread when you return.

Wishing you all the best. So excited for you!

"So would you say "screw it, I almost died, you only live once" and go for the impulsive cruise 2 weeks away."

Yes, go for it!

To me it sounds like you need to do this for yourself and your kids. Take your kids, go with your friend and go on the cruise.

Oops, sorry I didn't read all the way through. I am so glad you are going! :D

Edited by SPacificbound

I booked my first cruise on the thursday and the cruise started on the saturday, I took the train from Sweden to Denmark and then flew to Barcelona.. This was a cruise that I did on my own. I had a wonderfull time. Last minute can be the best time to book.

On Aruba the best thing you can do is going to a beach, just walk of the ship cross the street and you are at the local bus station. Take the bus to Druif beach or Palm Beach, just ask the bus drive were to get off the bus. It's cheap and nearby, you could even go back to the ship for lunch and then go back to the beach.

I have been two weeks on Aruba plus one day during a cruise = we have seen most of the small island and you won't miss anything by going to the beach.