How many bottles of wine can be brought on an NCL ship?

zlacruising

You can bring as many bottles of wine aboard as you want, but NCL requires that you pay a $15 corkage fee for each 750 ml bottle; $30 for each 1500 ml bottle of wine. The fee is assessed regardless of where on the ship you intend to drink the wine.

Edited by njhorseman

You can bring as many bottles of wine aboard as you want, but NCL requires that you pay a $15 corkage fee for each 750 ml bottle; $30 for each 1500 ml bottle of wine. The fee is assessed regardless of where on the ship you intend to drink the wine.

Wow! Quite a price to pay for unlimited bottles of wine brought on board. Just as comparison, RCI limits you to two bottles at 750 ml each per stateroom, but does not charge any corkage fee, including in any of their restaurant venues.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thank you. I had read 2 bottles and as many as you want so I wasn't sure. I'm going on a repo for 14 days and the UBP wasn't available as a freebie. I only really like one or two wines. My plan is to bring about 6 for a 14 day cruise. They only cost $10.00 so I will end up paying $25, which is better than trying to find one I like on the ship and pay $8 or $9 a glass. I really just like to sit on the balcony with wine and cheese and chill. BTW, the one I like the most is called Relax!!!;)

Deb

Wow! Quite a price to pay for unlimited bottles of wine brought on board. Just as comparison, RCI limits you to two bottles at 750 ml each per stateroom, but does not charge any corkage fee, including in any of their restaurant venues.

If two bottles of wine for your cruise is all you need, then Royal Caribbean's rules are better. If you're the type of person who has a bottle of wine each night, then NCL's rules probably work out in your favor, particularly if you like wines that are not on their list.

If two bottles of wine for your cruise is all you need, then Royal Caribbean's rules are better. If you're the type of person who has a bottle of wine each night, then NCL's rules probably work out in your favor, particularly if you like wines that are not on their list.

That would be me and hubby...lol

Deb

Thank you. I had read 2 bottles and as many as you want so I wasn't sure. I'm going on a repo for 14 days and the UBP wasn't available as a freebie. I only really like one or two wines. My plan is to bring about 6 for a 14 day cruise. They only cost $10.00 so I will end up paying $25, which is better than trying to find one I like on the ship and pay $8 or $9 a glass. I really just like to sit on the balcony with wine and cheese and chill. BTW, the one I like the most is called Relax!!!;)

Deb

$10 wine? At a $15 corkage fee, why not get decent wine? You're only talking about 6 bottles. If you're near a Costco, you can probably find something really nice at about $20.

Agree and not promoting one over the other - just comparing. But still, a $15 corkage fee for each bottle is pricey in my book and just a way for the cruise line to compensate themselves for wine they aren't selling. But that v the on board wine cost probably makes it a wash, I guess.

RCI used to charge a corkage fee as well but many negative comments regarding it may have had something to do with them dropping it. Maybe NCL will follow.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

$10 wine? At a $15 corkage fee, why not get decent wine? You're only talking about 6 bottles. If you're near a Costco, you can probably find something really nice at about $20.

I think the Relax wine is nice...lol. It does what it says.:) And I'm a retired teacher so it works for me!!

Deb

I think the Relax wine is nice...lol. It does what it says.:) And I'm a retired teacher so it works for me!!

Deb

Good for you! The best wine is the wine you like.

Wine is what you make of it; what you wish it to be at a particular time.

Any wine can be the signature to an event; it doesn’t have to be expensive or great or of a particular vintage.

Deb

Trust me, all wines cause you to Relax! :)

Which Relax wine do you drink? I could probably suggest some similar wines you might also like.

Trust me, all wines cause you to Relax! :)

Which Relax wine do you drink? I could probably suggest some similar wines you might also like.

The one in the blue bottle....lol...Riesling. Please suggest a few. This is my plan for the

cruise. We are flying to Boston and we just happen to be staying in a hotel...John Jeffery's... by a nice liquor store. (That wasn't planned.) We get in about 7PM and the store stays open until 11PM. I have two bag wine holders that will hold 8 bottles. I will either see what they have when we get there or call a reserve some.

Deb

Relax is not a brand I'd heard of, but there are certainly some very tasty cheap rieslings out there - try Chateau Ste Michelle's Riesling (it's sold in Safeway, Target and many other wine merchants for $7ish a bottle depending on which state you buy it in). Hands-down the best bang-for-the-buck of any riesling I've ever tried, tastes better than many I've spent twice as much or more on - and you'd even be buying American...

Relax is not a brand I'd heard of, but there are certainly some very tasty cheap rieslings out there - try Chateau Ste Michelle's Riesling (it's sold in Safeway, Target and many other wine merchants for $7ish a bottle depending on which state you buy it in). Hands-down the best bang-for-the-buck of any riesling I've ever tried, tastes better than many I've spent twice as much or more on - and you'd even be buying American...

Thanks, I will give it a try!!

Deb

As many as you want to bring.

A 15$ bottle plus corkage is better than anything they will sell you for 30 bucks.

It's worth the corkage.

I agree with you. I've seen Beringer wine and other cheap wines being served for $7.00 a glass. I'll pay the fee and be happy and Relaxed!!;)

Thanks for everyone's input. Appreciate it!!

Deb

Edited by zlacruising

When it comes to EVERYTHING, NCL charges for things no other cruise line charges for.

I am done with them. My favorite thing to do on an NCL ship is to have a zero balance except for the tips.

What are you talking about? I don't understand. Can you explain what NCL charges for that others don't? For example, what other cruise line with comparable pricing allows you to bring on unlimited wine with a corkage fee?

And I always have a zero balance, it's the only way they will allow you off the ship!

Edited by rvsullivan

Totally depends upon the cost of the wine on land and the cost on the ship . If you buy a bottle of 2 buck chuck and which costs 6 bucks on the ship and pay $15 corkage - it makes no sense. If you buy a bottle of chateau la expensive that costs $50, you definitely come out ahead financially.

It always amazes me that almost nobody bothers to figure it out as the formula is so simple

(cost on land)(ship markup) - [(cost on land) + (corkage fee)].

If the result of the equation is negative, you should buy it on the ship. If positive, you should buy it on land. FYI, based on a $15 corkage fee and a 3x ship markup, I did quick Excel spreadsheet and the break point is at $8 per bottle land price and if you buy that $50 bottle on land and bring it on board, you come out $85 ahead.

Land cost markup true cost

2 3 -11

3 3 -9

4 3 -7

5 3 -5

6 3 -3

7 3 -1

8 3 1

9 3 3

10 3 5

11 3 7

12 3 9