Land/Sea vs. Sea Only Alaska Trip

Virgo61

We are in our mid 60's but healthy and fit. Friends have planned a June-July Denali Explorer tour on the Coral Princess. It starts in Anchorage with a 4 day land portion (DB 4 tour). Then it does the Southbound Voyage of the Glaciers. We figure with meals and extra excursions the full tour adds about $4000 to the trip vs. the cruise only. Anyone out there who has done both? Any opinions on the land portion?

Just finished a 13-day Princess Connoisseur Land/Sea tour. Wish I had a dollar for every time we said how glad we were that we had done both land and sea. The main reason to do land: Denali National Park. This is what Alaska is all about. And make sure you have enough time (2 days) at the Princess Denali Lodge to do the full 8 hour Tundra Wilderness Tour. We spoke with so many people who only did the 4 hour, 17 mile National History Tour and saw nothing but trees. They were so disappointed. Of course, there is no guarantees that you will see a lot of wildlife even taking the longer tour, but you increase your chances tenfold. We didn't see any animals or Mt. McKinley until we were way past the 17 mile point.

You can read a review of the land portion of our trip at: http://cruiselovers.blogspot.com

If you look at the STICKY above there are at least 60 trip reports posted from 2014; cruises AND cruisetours. Many are photo journals with lots of detailed information on sights, activities, excursions, etc. Such as this Princess cruisetour from MVPinBoynton http://www.thepreismans.com/alaska_island_14.htm. Also look at the RCI report from 4cats1dog. Or photojournals from AryMay, MollanJake, JosieRhodes.

I've never taken a cruisetour but after reading about them on this forum, my caution is ..... find out about the details; determine the arrival and departure times; method of travel, etc. Alaska is a big state, and people underestimate how long it takes to get around. On the short tours you spend most of your time getting to a location, but have little time to enjoy it, ie Denali is described as a 2 day stop but in reality you arrive mid afternoon on day 1 and leave at noon on day 2, so you have no time to travel thru the 100 miles of Park road.

I've only travelled DIY in Alaska, via car or rental RV. It's so easy to get around on your own .... there are few hwys and they're only 2 lane so impossible to get lost. Having your own vehicle gives you the opportunity stop at other points of interest or for wildlife sightings. It also gives you access to other accommodation choices than the generic lodges. BTW, I'm a single female, and 60 ish. :eek:

DIY doesn't mean you have to drive. You can easily book seats on the Alaska Railroad and/or bus and stay at the same lodges. But this gives you the opportunity to stay longer at some locations and/or skip others.

Do your research and determine which option will best meet your travel style. Have fun planning !

We are in our mid 60's but healthy and fit. Friends have planned a June-July Denali Explorer tour on the Coral Princess. It starts in Anchorage with a 4 day land portion (DB 4 tour). Then it does the Southbound Voyage of the Glaciers. We figure with meals and extra excursions the full tour adds about $4000 to the trip vs. the cruise only. Anyone out there who has done both? Any opinions on the land portion?

This is $1000 per day. How much will it cost you to rent a car, pay for lodging and pay for meals. A whole lot less than $1000 per day.

DON

In my opinion, I never consider any less, in Denali park than Eielson visitor center. SIMPLE and easy to do on your own, vs the triple cost- shorter TWT.

A 4 day cruisetour- is also less than ideal, it is not a lot of time. For that same $4000 you can easily double your time with independent travel and a rental car. Biggest benefit, the ability to see and do at least twice as much.

Plenty of people do like the cruisetours- but, with the limits- they just don't realize the significant potential of what they missed. Being well informed, is the key to selecting the right option for you. I'll speculate the above poster- found out on this board the significant difference with the Denali tours- certain, they had no clue prior to research. Overall, I will continue to state the Natural History tour is a complete waste of time. Princess, has the excellent benefit of refunding these tours- which make it superior for getting more out of Denali than what is included, with money left over. :)

Head to your library- plenty of reading available. :)

Especially if you can add more days- it is well worth the effort to do combo touring in Alaska. The right planning is important- too many tours are poor itineraries in my opinion. find out about the important details that will narrow down your selections for your preference.

This is $1000 per day. How much will it cost you to rent a car, pay for lodging and pay for meals. A whole lot less than $1000 per day.
Also, the land portion can easily be done DYI. You don't have to do it through the cruise companies.
.... It's so easy to get around on your own .... there are few hwys and they're only 2 lane so impossible to get lost. Having your own vehicle gives you the opportunity stop at other points of interest or for wildlife sightings. It also gives you access to other accommodation choices than the generic lodges.
A 4 day cruisetour- is also less than ideal, it is not a lot of time. For that same $4000 you can easily double your time with independent travel and a rental car. Biggest benefit, the ability to see and do at least twice as much.

They are absolutely right!

Many strongly dislike the regimentation of cruise tours.

They have no wish to stay with the hordes at the Princess Denali Lodge, and want to get further into Denali Park than the Tundra Wilderness Tour will take them.

Additionally they want the freedom to choose their own itinerary and spend their precious, limited vacation time as they wish instead of being locked into some commercial tour operator's prearranged schedule.

Sadly, some cruise passengers are cajoled into purchasing their cruise company's land tours without even realizing that there are other, better options available, so they never even consider doing it any other way.

Edited by varoo

DH and I are doing a cruise tour for the first time - leaving next Friday. We have done the DIY tour with a car and this time wanted to leave all of the scheduling to someone else. We enjoy scenery as much as seeing animals and find bus rides relaxing. It's fun to plan trips, but occasionally I really like to do a "one size fits all" vacation and let someone else do the planning.

I went to the Princess website, and I don't understand how you calculated that the cruise tour adds on $4000. It seems to add on maybe $1500 per person vs the cost of a cruise alone. Perhaps you plan to take very expensive excursions or eat extravagant meals? Or perhaps that amount is for more than one person?

At any rate, it is nice that the DB4 tour gives you a full day in Denali National Park. Be sure to take advantage of it and go as far into the park as you can. You do not want the Natural History tour, so be sure to exchange that for either the Tundra Wilderness Tour or the Kantishna Experience Tour. Another option are the shuttles that allow you to hop on and off, if you want to hike, for example.

We were on the Island Princess, which is the sister ship to the Coral Princess. You will love the ship. I noticed a DB4 cruise tour on the Grand Princess at a bargain rate for this July. Only $300 more than what we're paying for our 7-day cruise this year! But the Coral Princess carries fewer passengers and I love the wrap around promenade deck and the "secret" forward viewing areas. So very nice choice of ship.

We did an almost identical cruise tour but stayed at the McKinley Lodge for 2 nights, instead of one. Tours are not really our thing. We are used to planning our own trips, and this year we are going back to our diy style. But it was nice to relax and have Princess take care of getting us and our luggage from place to place on the cruise tour.

Good luck with your planning!

The $4000 was for 2 people. The difference in the mini suite price from Princess was about $2500, then I added about $800-$1000 for shore excursions and the rest for meals. It might come out to be less but I doubt if it would be much less.

We did a land tour two years ago. We arrived in Seward after a 7 day cruise with the Radiance otS. There we stayed two nights. After that we went to Anchorage by bus and rented a car at the airport. From there we drove to the knik river and stayed one Night, went to talkeetna for one Night and to denali for two nights and then went back to Anchorage and flew home from there.

It was all very easy to do by ourselves and we could stay at some Points as long as we wanted!

Greets Janine [emoji258]

They are absolutely right!

Many strongly dislike the regimentation of cruise tours.

They have no wish to stay with the hordes at the Princess Denali Lodge, and want to get further into Denali Park than the Tundra Wilderness Tour will take them.

Additionally they want the freedom to choose their own itinerary and spend their precious, limited vacation time as they wish instead of being locked into some commercial tour operator's prearranged schedule.

Sadly, some cruise passengers are cajoled into purchasing their cruise company's land tours without even realizing that there are other, better options available, so they never even consider doing it any other way.

Or some just want the convenience of a organized tour and transportation to the various places without the hassle of renting a car, setting up lodging, worrying about how far to drive each day. Besides I think the 4000 they are talking about is rhe entire cruise and tour which I think is a little low. Prices are way he gher in Alaska then in the lower 48. All those who,keep trying to convince people to go independent have no idea of the situation of the people you are advising. We will be taking a cruise tour next May with some friends and are all happy with the travel arrangements. And yes I have been to Alaska before and lived there for a year.

Or some just want the convenience of a organized tour and transportation to the various places without the hassle of renting a car, setting up lodging, worrying about how far to drive each day. Besides I think the 4000 they are talking about is rhe entire cruise and tour which I think is a little low. Prices are way he gher in Alaska then in the lower 48. All those who,keep trying to convince people to go independent have no idea of the situation of the people you are advising. We will be taking a cruise tour next May with some friends and are all happy with the travel arrangements. And yes I have been to Alaska before and lived there for a year.

It's not a push for diy. It makes no difference to me, what people do. It's the stressing- to KNOW what you are looking at, doing your homework, no matter how you tour. The big problem with cruisetours- is- people not having a clue what they are buying. Over and over and over, it is evident on this board- the wrong assumptions. How many purchased the NHT? How many are at the McKinley lodge thinking they have the national park access, how many have no idea the "Direct to Denali" rail- is 10 hours. etc etc etc

I fault the intentionally vague descriptions. But also, people are what I consider, making poor choices, to not look further into what they are booking when coming to this board. IF they are reading this board, obviously they have the ability and interest to do some homework. This should be done BEFORE booking, which, frequently it isn't.

It is much easier to choose the right package to begin with, then to try to fix a poor choice later.

There is something for everyone. Just have to dig a little to determine it.

Or some just want the convenience of a organized tour and transportation to the various places without the hassle of renting a car, setting up lodging, worrying about how far to drive each day..........

But I never claimed that everyone (or anyone) needs to rent a car.

Even for those who do not want to rent a car, or those who do not drive at all, it is not necessary to be stuck with a cruise line's regimented mass market cruise tour.

(Although we have always found driving a rental car in Alaska to be easy and hassle free.)

Many prefer to put together their own packages by combining their own personal choices of transportation, lodging and sightseeing (either with or without a rental car).

Then there are also a number of alternate options available that have been described many times previously, including independent companies that provide transportation, lodging and sightseeing tailored to accommodate various types of personal interests and preferences, as well as some specifically for people with special needs.

For many cruise passengers, the pre-packaged cruise tours are simply the easiest way to go despite their drawbacks, since they require minimal thought, planning or decision making.

They are reminiscent of the way we vacationed as children, when our parents would schedule the itinerary, make all the arrangements, and we simply went along.

My point was only that people should be aware that alternate options exist, which may be more desirable and suit them better than the land tours sold by the cruise line.

There are always tradeoffs, whichever way you do it.

It is similar to shore excursions at the ports, where some passengers take the ship's tours and others make their own independent arrangements.

Only here you are investing a lot more time and money than for a shore excursion that lasts only a few hours.

Edited by varoo

First I would like to thank everyone for their thoughtful replies and helpful recommendations. If you read the original post you will see that life long friends have planned the specific trip we are considering. What I did not mention is that as many as 6 couples may be on the voyage. We will either do the entire 11 days or meet everyone on the boat. There is no possibility of booking things on our own. We are not those kinds of cruisers. In fact we are not fans of land tours that involve living out of a suitcase and long bus and train rides. We like being on a boat. That being said, Alaska is a special case. From reading I've learned that most people do not get to see Mt. McKinley, wildlife spotting is iffy and that Denali is the main draw. So that's why I was wondering if the specific Princess Denali Explorer Tour was worth the price.

if the specific Princess Denali Explorer Tour was worth the price.

It would have been helpful if you had included that additional information in your original post, as well as a link to the tour.

As to whether or not the tour is "worth the price", that's totally a personal choice. I've never seen the mountain while at the park, only while driving towards or away from it. I go for the scenery and the wildlife. The vastness of the park always amazes me. And I would visit Denali every time I go to Alaska whereas I don't have much interest in cruising Alaska again. So definitely personal choice, just like choosing a cruisetour over DIY. No one can make the decision but you.

Good luck with your decision.

Edited by mapleleaves

We have selected DB4 before a June 2016 southbound cruise. We have done a DIY Alaska adventure in 2012.

Our reasons:

We are aging and love the idea of someone else lifting our luggage

One night at McKinley Lodge is just right --we live in a desert and just being in an Alaskan wilderness area sounds lovely. We will get an afternoon and a morning there if we choose to do an excursion --a river float maybe? If the mountain is out it will be a bonus.

A partial and full day at Denali is perfect for us -- will cancel NHT and book Eielson Shuttle.

While 10 hrs on a train sounds like a loooong time --we love train rides and while we may be stiff and have a sore rear by the end of it we will enjoy it.

Our goals for this Alaskan land trip was a full day in Denali and to go on the Alaskan RR --DB4 does that for us.

Edited by Alaskanb

We did the Cruise tour with HAL before our cruise a few years ago. This year we are doing 2 weeks on a cruise because we really thought that was where we had all the fun. As mentioned in other posts, it was a lot of travel with not as much relaxation or port time as the cruise portion. To us, the interior of Alaska was not as nice as a good few days in Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado.

I guess it all comes down to if you want to spend more time with your friends, which sometimes is worth the price.:)