What has happened to exceptional service

crisio2030

I have been reading so many bad reviews about the cruising experiences on Celebrity. My wife and I always have enjoyed this line. We are taking our next cruise in November and I hope we get better service than what I have been reading about. Please share any new reviews for the Reflection.:)

Our first Celebrity cruise will be on the Constellation in September. I have also been concerned about all the negative reviews and comments on here. Usually I go on CC prior to a cruise to increase my anticipation of a great holiday, but this time it is doing the opposite!

We haven't been on the Reflection, but just got off the Equinox and our service everywhere on the ship was excellent. We leave in about 2 months for Alaska on the Millenium and I am expecting the same. I will say we are laid back cruisers and it's pretty easy to please us.

We leave on Silhouette in three weeks and are looking forward to another exceptional Celebrity cruise. We have never been disappointed in the past many cruises and do not expect to be disappointed this time. I will post if things have changed.

I sailed Reflection last November and the service was phenomenal. I had no complaints on service.

I expect the same experience when i sail Silhouette this fall.

I think you have to take the negatives for what they are worth. Some people just like to complaint and are negative by nature. It takes more effort to share the positive reviews than the negative ones. When something goes wrong, people can't wait to talk about it. keep searching - the positive reviews are out there.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

We were on Millennium in February and the service was as good as ever. Don't let a few grumpy people who can never be satisfied sway your opinion of an excellent cruise line.

.....Some people just like to complaint and are negative by nature. It takes more effort to share the positive reviews than the negative ones.....

It is an ego thing. People feel more empowered when they complain that they have been wronged because then it is all about them. If things go well, saying good things would be all about the service provider and no longer about themselves.

I learned this simple fact when I minored in Psychology in college. This fact is even more true in today's self centered, "It's all about me" world.

Edited by SantaFeFan

We were on the Equinox this past March, and we found everything to be exceptional...from the minute we boarded for sail away. The food was wonderful and the crew went over and above to make our vacation unforgettable!:D

Enjoy your cruise!:)

Complainers complain loudly, some are never happy. Happy people are usually quiet and content. We've been taking one or two nice long Celebrity cruise each year for many years. We have a 14 night and a 13 night booked. If we were to nit-pick I'm sure we could find fault with something but it would be very small. Don't let the whiners and complainers get you down. Celebrity has a great product and it's why so many passengers come back year after year.

My husband and I were on a Mediterranean cruise this past October on the Reflection. It was wonderful-food, service, ambiance. In fact, while on the ship we booked a Baltic cruise on the Silhouette. We leave this Sunday and can't wait for another fabulous Celebrity experience.

To put all this in our perspective.

We've sailed on =X= about 20 times over the last 14 years, the last being in May on Solstice.

I would still consider Celebrity's service to be above the other main-stream lines (which Celebrity is) but not up to the level of more premium lines, which would be expected due to pricing.

The caveat, though, is (and I think is responsible for at least a good portion of the "complaining" some of you seem to see) is that the difference in service level from our first cruise to our last is quite considerable. From the style and level of service in the MDR (and even more so in the one specialty restaurant per ship back then), the sight of numerous waiters lined up in the buffet waiting to carry your tray and find you a table, the more genuine feeling of connection between staff and passenger (as opposed to the canned "how was your day?" and "EXCELLENT!" in response to most any question)--there is definitely a different feel.

Is it worse? No, not in our estimation but we can clearly see how it could be construed that way in someone else's view. It definitely, though, is different, and if you have only be sailing on Celebrity for the last 5 or 6 years (or even considerably less) you don't have the comparison that some have....and you may consider their analysis "whining" or "complaining" when it truly may not be that at all.

We still enjoy Celebrity, as our cruising history shows, and will continue to sail them (about 60 days booked) so it hasn't been enough to cause us to bolt, but there are times that we do miss the "old days" ;)

Our last 5 cruises have been on Celebrity and we have two more booked. Book and look forward to your cruises, you have nothing to worry about.

One of the positives of CC is that 'niggles' can be offloaded. People may have had a really good cruise but the one 'niggle' may become the subject of debate. Before cruising with Celebrity I read lots of information on CC which helped me to choose the most appropriate stateroom, value of drinks packages, M class vs

S class.....

There are occasional issues re service, hard wear, product description....but there are no service industry establishments be they cruise ships, hotels, restaurants.....where there are not occasional glitches.

So from a cruiser who has tried other lines but actively chooses Celebrity take it from me despite the odd winge any of us make we tend to remain Celebrity loyal - not out of blind belief in a product but from knowledge, personal and from fellow CC friends, that we have chosen a quality cruise line.

We have been sailing with Celebrity for over ten years and in the last two, we've noticed a drop in service. It's not bad, just not as good as it used to be. I put this on the cruise line, not the staff. With the cutbacks and changes, the staff has all the it can do to keep up. Very seldom do we notice an exceptional service, they don't have the time.

We still experience exceptional service! Don't let a few bad (negative) apples ruin your expectations.

Keep in mind that the complainers are HERE on the cruisecritic Celebrity forum. They only WISH they were cruising Celebrity more often!!

Our first Celebrity cruise will be on the Constellation in September. I have also been concerned about all the negative reviews and comments on here. Usually I go on CC prior to a cruise to increase my anticipation of a great holiday, but this time it is doing the opposite!

The Constellation has a great crew and we had outstanding service from start to finish. We are sailing her again in November and I would be surprised if it's not the same.

This site is named Cruise Critic. Look up critic in the dictionary. If you don't like the negative posts, ignore them, don't be so judgmental because their opinion differs from yours.

I probably should do more cruising with Celebrity as I'm spending a whole lot less than I used to. With the cutbacks and changes it's turned into just transportation for us. 0 charges to the room and 0 tours. Gotta love it!!

We saw plenty of negative posts here on CC before our first Celebrity cruise in May 2013 (The Med) on Silhouette....1 would read the dress police were everywhere..slow service....on and on...lol We had a great time....was it 100% perfect, no, but sure beats being at work!! :D

We have done over 40 cruises with Celebrity & never had any issues with their very good service .:D

The service level is very important to this lines success ;as they have raised cruise prices & tip amounts ;)

This site is named Cruise Critic. Look up critic in the dictionary.

Some people take that "critic" in the name much too literally, posting only negative comments and rarely, if ever, anything positive. I looked up "critic" and this is what I found: "b : one who engages often professionally in the analysis, evaluation, or appreciation of works of art or artistic performances"

This is how Cruise Critic describes itself (taken directly from it's ABOUT US page):

"Cruise Critic is the leading cruise reviews and information site which hosts the largest cruise community in the world. More than four million people, from first-time cruisers to avid cruise fans, visit Cruise Critic each month to research and plan their cruises, connect with other cruisers and share their passion for cruising."

The description goes on to say:

"Our comprehensive coverage features:

Cruise Reviews

Ports of Call Profiles and Destination Features

Cruise Styles: Lifestyle and Specialty Cruising

Feature Articles

First-Time Cruisers' Guide

Member Reviews

Find a Cruise"

Nowhere in their own description does it say "A place where cruisers come to complain" and "A place to criticize cruise lines". :rolleyes:

To put all this in our perspective.

We've sailed on =X= about 20 times over the last 14 years, the last being in May on Solstice.

The caveat, though, is (and I think is responsible for at least a good portion of the "complaining" some of you seem to see) is that the difference in service level from our first cruise to our last is quite considerable.

Or perhaps it isn't that the service level has deteriorated, but that you are so familiar with the product that you are no longer impressed with the same level of service as you have always been getting. "Familiarity breeds contempt", as the old proverb goes:

Phrase of familiarity

Proverb

Extensive knowledge of or close association with someone or something leads to a loss of respect for them or it.

Edited by PTMary

Or perhaps it isn't that the service level has deteriorated, but that you are so familiar with the product that you are no longer impressed with the same level of service as you have always been getting. "Familiarity breeds contempt", as the old proverb goes

Just seconding this and I know it has affected my view of places and services that I have returned to more than once.