Discounted Kids Menu Adopted in Carnival STEAKHOUSES

eponym

Last time we were on Carnival Breeze, there was a family of 4 (two parents, one boy about 13 and one girl around 10) sitting next to us in the steakhouse. A waiter from the dining room had delivered them kids meals to their table. I asked the parents if they ordered them in the steakhouse or arranged it through special needs in advance. They said they talked to the MDR hostess the night before and were not special needs. The kids were behaved and I don't see a problem with it. I take the kids on land to Ruth's Chris and other various upscale steakhouses and wouldn't hesitate taking them to a steakhouse onboard. One should not be forced to put their kids in camp and it would be a disservice to exclude them from higher quality food on a ship with such poor food quality to begin with.

The problem is that others don't always exercise the good judgment you describe. So if the policy allows it, one must assume there will be those with poor judgment who bring kids that are not suitable for a fine dining restaurant. While 90% of steakhouse customers with kids might play out in a suitable fashion as you describe, there is another 10% who will not care if their screaming, wild children run around the steakhouse ruining the evening for others. So if you open the door for one, you open the door for all. And by offering a discounted menu for children, that is exactly what will happen.

Edited by winddawn

No & Hell No here too.

While there are some well behaved children.

We find these days many more are not.

Common sense please, look at the atmosphere & other diners.

We don't want to see & hear children crawling around, bumping things, screeching, etc.....

We are not going to pay $70+ tips & drinks, for a nice dinner away from the masses and noise, if a kids menu would bring in throngs of kids.

Now, if you can take them out with they become a nuisance, fine, but we see very few parents doing that these days.

Instead of a kids menu...how about a age rule, of say 12? :D

I also say no to kid's menus. If parents want to bring their kids let them fork out the charge. (something that does control an onslaught of young ones. A kid's menu starts problems....up to what age can they order off the kid menu, if they are a kid should they be able to eat off the adult menu for the same price. I love my little ones but wouldn't subject myself, my dinner companions, or the granddies to over two hours in an adult setting.

Been taking my 8 year old son to the steak house on various cruise lines since he was 6. He looks forward to the good food and I don't have a problem paying full price for him.

He asks each cruise which night we are going. He can't eat all that food typically so he'll nibble off of our starter and just order a steak/main dish.

He rarely orders off of the kiddie menu at home in restaurants. Kids learn how to behave at these Venues by practicing. Know your kid, ours knows we'd haul him out in an instant if he attempted to spoil ours or other patrons' dinners.

Now, to be fair, some people do want to share their anniversaries with their children. My parents, for their 55th, didn't really mind having their celebration in the MDR so all the parties in our group cruising, including 2 seven year olds and 2 nineteen year olds, could attend. We had an amazing celebration with 8 diners in the MDR. This argument should be for an adult -only restaurant on board, IMHO.

Missed my point. 20 years is a long long way from 55 years of marriage. At 50 I will want to be with our kids and grandkids to look at what we brought into this world together. Good that your parents were able to reflect through their lives on that special anniversary with your family. Steak house should remain as it is with no child's menu.

No. There should be an age limit. Twice we have gone and listened to a child crying. Parents sitting there.....ignoring it.

We have a four year old grand child. she is getting older but when she pitched a fit, her father took her out and calmed her down. or we left. Sometimes we had them wrap our food and took it home.

We were not going to spoil the dinner of people who were having a treat eating out by our howling little darling.

If a kid's menu brings in more kids under 10.........count me out. And some children are beautifully behaved in there.

it is the ones who run wild who spoil dinner for every one who paid to eat there in peace and quiet.

I say no to a kids menu. If your kid wants chicken nuggets, let them eat dinner at Camp Carnival.

That said I have been to the steakhouse with my children but they have a wide palate. My 9 year old will eat raw oysters, sushi and conch salad. When we go places she will specifically ask for an adult menu. I can see maybe charging a little less for a smaller portion size, but not serving chicken nuggets and spaghetti.

She is looking forward to surf and turf at the Steakhouse on our 6/27 cruise.

No. There should be an age limit. Twice we have gone and listened to a child crying. Parents sitting there.....ignoring it.

We have a four year old grand child. she is getting older but when she pitched a fit, her father took her out and calmed her down. or we left. Sometimes we had them wrap our food and took it home.

We were not going to spoil the dinner of people who were having a treat eating out by our howling little darling.

If a kid's menu brings in more kids under 10.........count me out. And some children are beautifully behaved in there.

it is the ones who run wild who spoil dinner for every one who paid to eat there in peace and quiet.

What people like you do not understand is I do not want to even hear that first squeal. I don't want there to even be a chance of a breakdown happening. There are places children do not belong and while carnival does not prohibit children the mere fact there is a $35 upcharge pretty much says it is a place for adults.

I have 4 adult children now. I loved to have them with me, but there were places they were not brought simply because they were children. People these days seem to not understand that concept. I don't know what happened.

If I was invited to an adult only place, sometimes I did not go because I would rather be with my children, but I never took them anyway because of it.

I say no to a kids menu. If your kid wants chicken nuggets, let them eat dinner at Camp Carnival.

That said I have been to the steakhouse with my children but they have a wide palate. My 9 year old will eat raw oysters, sushi and conch salad. When we go places she will specifically ask for an adult menu. I can see maybe charging a little less for a smaller portion size, but not serving chicken nuggets and spaghetti.

She is looking forward to surf and turf at the Steakhouse on our 6/27 cruise.

I am sure your child is just wonderful and worldly beyond her years. Unfortunately, it is very hard to tell one who is and isn't from the outside which is why even the worldly ones are still listed as children.

I don't think there should be a kids menu. I know Carnival is a family cruise line, but heaven forbid, there are areas on a ship where only adults can enjoy themselves. I have been at the Steak House when there were 2 families with kids under 2 and the kids screamed from the moment we got seated. (probably before we got there too, but I don't know about that) We asked to be moved as did everyone else seated near them.

When we were moved the kids still screamed and the parents and other family with them ignored them. All of us that were moved were on the other side of the dining room. By the way this was on Miracle. I asked the waiter if something could be done and he sent the Maitre D' to our table. I asked him if he could ask the offending couples to leave or do something to quiet the two kids. He said unfortunately, he couldn't do anything. I think it was because there were 12 adults and it was a big sale for Carnival.

Our dinner was ruined as were several others. I happened to go to the Ladies room while in there and one of the mothers was in there with the screaming kid, changing his diaper on the sink. OMG it was gross. Poop was all over the sink and she didn't give a darn.

She took the kid, without washing HER HANDs and went back into the steak house. I washed my hands, left and told DH what had transpired. I am NOT one to complain on a cruise, but I went to customer service and explained all that happened.

The next night at dinner, the Maitre D' came to our table and offered wine for the table. We were at a table for 8 so all people had wine. I feel that it is sad that the Maitre D' in the Steak House couldn't ask those people to leave. I know I sound mean, but I am not and when my granddaughter was young and would carry on in a restaurant, my son took her out.

I hope Carnival doesn't provide a children's menu. If a child is old enough to behave, hopefully he/she will be able to eat from a menu that is provided to all. I don't believe we need to encourage more kids in the Steak House. There should be a few places for adults and well behaved kids.

I feel that Carnival should go in the exact opposite direction. Not only should they not have a kids menu, I think they should make the Steakhouse adults-only. If you are going to pay $35 for a meal, you should not have to deal with other people's kids. And sorry, but all parents (and grandparents) think their kids behave way better than they actually do.

BakersDozen, LIKE LIKE LIKE. Adorable is truly in the eyes of the beholder.

In elevators and other congested areas my usual feeling towards toddlers in strollers is pity. Just picture their view of the world around them.

Do not encourage parents to bring them to the Steakhouse by discounting the price or by providing a child friendly menu.

Boy, do I agree with that statement! BUT! Not at my expense!

We have taken our grandson, perfect table manners, polite, intelligent and knows how to behave. (13 years old at the time).

I have also seen the screaming, ranting, out of control kids while mommy and daddy merrily ignore them! NOT in the steakhouse! NO WAY! The steakhouse is NOT the place for the "it is my cruise, I will do whatever I want" crowd.

Next the whining will begin to let them play craps or blackjack because it is a family cruise line and why should junior or missy be excluded from the fun?

That's a great suggestion...

After sailing on nearly 20 cruises, there have been numerous times when I would have preferred to have had my 13 year old and 16 year old flank me at the Blackjack table versus the norm. They can count and understand how to play cards.

If they do have a kids menu charge should still be $35
YES ! Frankly I don't want Seniors sized portions either, unless it is at full price .

However I would be fine with both being offered for an early-bird special,

say a $25 menu for reservations prior to 6 PM.

My kids are 6 and 9 and will be going on their 9th cruise next month. They have never even seen a kids menu in the MDR and would never eat anything on it if they did. We have always tried to offer them healthy food so they think that is normal. Of course they have occasional treats and are not deprived of being kids.

They have also been to the steakhouse. Sitting still for two hours is nothing to them because they have been expected to do it all of their lives. It would be nice if they offered a smaller portion in the steakhouse for a lower price, but it will not keep us from taking our kids there for full price. It is a great experience for them. They know that it is special and that they are expected to behave accordingly. How could we ever expect them to know how to act in certain situations if we never give them the experience? Children do not just learn by osmosis. The children that were never taught how to behave are now the grown adults that still do not behave appropriately.

Last I heard, Carnival is a family friendly cruise line. My kids pay the same price for their cruise as any adult on the ship. Why should they be excluded just because they are kids? I know that there are definitely some terrible kids on cruises. I also know that I would rather not have to be around smokers, drunks, and old crotchety people, but I'm on a ship that includes all of these people so I have to deal with it. For all of you that despise being around children so much, maybe you should try a cruise line that is not so geared to families.

Sorry-- but I have 3 kids and am Platinum so have been on many cruises. I feel the Steakhouse should be for adults and older kids. MY opinion! Carnival caters to the kids so let the parents have one night! The entire atmosphere was different with a table of crying babies and screaming toddlers. It was unfair to everyone else. Our waitress apologized numerous times. Your kids may be fine if they are respectful to others in the restaurant-- NO BABIES or toddlers should be allowed. My suggestion would be to teach them at home in nicer restaurants and enjoy the evening with your husband.

I think kids say, age 10 or 12 and up would be okay. By that age a parent knows if they can sit through a longer meal in a nicer atmosphere and they aren't as likely to be crying, throwing a fit, going bonkers, etc.

It's not fair to paint all kids with the same brush, as they really are very different people depending on age and maturity level. I would not care if a well behaved "tween" was in the restaurant...I wouldn't even notice.

If Carnival has a viable plan for revenue to get more Steakhouse bookings from people that otherwise skip it because they have a couple of pre-teens, well, bingo, bango, bongo.

I agree with the babies, there was a crying baby last time we were there. Last time we only ate in the MDR twice. My family did not like it and basically refused to eat there. We were at the Steakhouse, JiJi's, and the Italian place the other nights. I'm glad they now offer the Steakhouse selections in the MDR but they feel like a rip off for $20 when you don't get the fabulous apps, sides and desserts of the Steakhouse. I mean at least they can give you the Steakhouse side dishes for $20!