Celebrity Cancelled our Cruise?!

Shanei

Recently, over on the Crystal board, there was a thread regarding cancellation of two, consecutive 10-day sailings due to a charter. The two cruises were cancelled about 9 months in advance, which meant some of the people had already secured airfare. For those that had, Crystal reimbursed airline fees as would be expected. Being a small cruise line, they didn't simply list a few cruises as substitute, but rather worked with each passenger scenario on a case-by-case basis. Something you can do when you're small! One poster who had booked both sailings as a 20 day back-to-back negotiated a 28-day voyage as substitute at no additional fare.

But more interesting, to me at least, were the comments by a regular poster on that board who is an events coordinator (orchestrates corporate conventions, etc). First off, he stated that reimbursement costs that the cruise line assumes (reimbursing affected passengers airline fees, etc) are built in to the contract with whoever is chartering the ship. In other words, the cruise line passes such expenses onto the company chartering. Second, which isn't rocket science when you think about it, he says charters are on the upswing following the long recession. Companies today have larger budgets to spend in this area than during the lean years of the recession. So perhaps this explains why we're seeing a few more instances of chartering.

From most of the "charter threads" I've seen here on the Celebrity board lately, most involve cruises cancelled a year or more in advance. In that scenario, there is little to nothing for Celebrity to reimburse since airline tickets can't be purchased that far out.

While none of this does anything to sooth or console those affected, it's a brief insight as to why we're seeing it a little more often than in the recent past. I do empathize to those who's cruises have been cancelled. While not a charter situation, we did experience a last minute cancellation (3 days before sailing) in Infinity back in 2003 when a mechanical problem required immediate attention. Celebrity did make us whole (reimbursed all non-refundable out of pocket expenses) and also rescheduled us on a 14 day sailing for a cruise of 11 days that had been cancelled. Good luck to all as you work to reschedule your cancelled sailings.

Seems to be happening a lot, more and more people are saying that they have been affected by a Chartering after they have booked.

Yes, companies and groups are realising the value and attraction of doing this and the cruise lines are willing to shunt the individuals for the charter.

What date was your March 2016 cruise on the Constellation booked for? We have a cruises booked for March 14th and March 28th of 2016 on the Constellation. We have not heard anything about them being cancelled.

It was actually the Feb. 29th sailing. In my head first week of March.

You should be fine.

Saw an ad on TV for the outfit that chartered your ship out from under you. Outfit called StarVista. It's a cruise for baby boomers who cam of age in the mid to late 60's. A bunch of old bands from that era are going to be on board. They will probably attempt to play, plus mingle with the guest.

Sorry for the loss of your ship. I just wish Celebrity or any other cruise line who does something like would make sure they made those who lost their booking are made completely whole, no matter when they next can take a cruise.

It was actually the Feb. 29th sailing. In my head first week of March.

You should be fine.

Saw an ad on TV for the outfit that chartered your ship out from under you. Outfit called StarVista. It's a cruise for baby boomers who cam of age in the mid to late 60's. A bunch of old bands from that era are going to be on board. They will probably attempt to play, plus mingle with the guest.

Sorry for the loss of your ship. I just wish Celebrity or any other cruise line who does something like would make sure they made those who lost their booking are made completely whole, no matter when they next can take a cruise.

Just did a quick look up. They (StarVista Live) have 4 charters booked in three months!! November 2015 on HAL (Malt Shop), January 2016 on HAL (Country), January 30 2016 on the Connie (Soul Train) and February 29 2016 on the Connie (Flower Power).

Also saw in the past they have chartered Seabourn

Seems to be happening a lot, more and more people are saying that they have been affected by a Chartering after they have booked.

I understand how lucrative charters are and why cruise lines love them. That said, I wish there was more consideration for the people who are being displaced. If someone booked when there was a promo going on, why shouldn't that promo be transferrable? After all, the passenger isn't the one who changed their mind.:p

By limiting the cruises to transfer to, taking away perks, and being inflexible, all Celebrity is doing is getting people angry. I felt much the same way when my Millennium cruise was cancelled a couple years ago. I realize that was out of their control, but I didn't understand why I couldn't transfer my beverage package to another cruise -- after all, I wasn't the one who cancelled.:(

I also think there needs to be some reasonable consumer protection. Cruise lines shouldn't be able to cancel for a charter after a determined reasonable date. In my mind, that should be once air travel is available to purchase, or about 9 months in advance of a cruise. I was reading something recently where a Carnival cruise was cancelled for a charter less than six months before sailing. I don't think that's reasonable, and even if it's "allowed" by law it shouldn't happen.

Thank goodness, we have never yet had a cruise cancelled on us. We feel deeply for those who have planned, committed and had their dreams shattered.

I must say reading about the recent cancellations has unsettled my usual far in front booking strategies. Not only do we book cruises as itineraries come out, to ensure we get exactly what we want, we tend to book flights, hotels...asap too.

We are now less than a year from our next cruise. Does that mean we are now 'safe' to go ahead and book flights, hotels? ...we hope so.

Thank goodness, we have never yet had a cruise cancelled on us. We feel deeply for those who have planned, committed and had their dreams shattered.

I must say reading about the recent cancellations has unsettled my usual far in front booking strategies. Not only do we book cruises as itineraries come out, to ensure we get exactly what we want, we tend to book flights, hotels...asap too.

We are now less than a year from our next cruise. Does that mean we are now 'safe' to go ahead and book flights, hotels? ...we hope so.

The biggest "risk" in our opinion is the airfare. We try to book as much as possible using air miles since cancelling a round trip for 2 on American costs $175......far less than if we had purchased the tickets. I don't think that cancel for any reason insurance covers the airfare change/cancellation fee unless it is for a covered reason.

The other nasty "risk" is the very travel insurance you buy to protect yourself...because if you cancel the cruise for any (not covered) reason, you don't get your insurance money back. That's why we don't purchase insurance when we book the trip...but that requires an understanding of what "pre-existing conditions" one has (AS DEFINED BY THE POLICY...not by you). In many, if not most, cases, the pre-existing condition waiver is just a pressure tactic to get you to buy up front and lock in the premium profit for your agent and the insurance company. See the insurance section for more on this topic.

Just did a quick look up. They (StarVista Live) have 4 charters booked in three months!! November 2015 on HAL (Malt Shop), January 2016 on HAL (Country), January 30 2016 on the Connie (Soul Train) and February 29 2016 on the Connie (Flower Power).

Also saw in the past they have chartered Seabourn

If it is for baby boomers then I would have thought they could offer people a choice to either bail out or remain. on the ship. I suppose you have to be a member of the Starvista (whatever that is).

I understand how lucrative charters are and why cruise lines love them. That said, I wish there was more consideration for the people who are being displaced. If someone booked when there was a promo going on, why shouldn't that promo be transferrable? After all, the passenger isn't the one who changed their mind.:p

By limiting the cruises to transfer to, taking away perks, and being inflexible, all Celebrity is doing is getting people angry. I felt much the same way when my Millennium cruise was cancelled a couple years ago. I realize that was out of their control, but I didn't understand why I couldn't transfer my beverage package to another cruise -- after all, I wasn't the one who cancelled.:(

I also think there needs to be some reasonable consumer protection. Cruise lines shouldn't be able to cancel for a charter after a determined reasonable date. In my mind, that should be once air travel is available to purchase, or about 9 months in advance of a cruise. I was reading something recently where a Carnival cruise was cancelled for a charter less than six months before sailing. I don't think that's reasonable, and even if it's "allowed" by law it shouldn't happen.

I agree. Obviously there may be incidents that may still cancel the cruise but the compensation should be made for each passengers out of pocket expenses.

Yes, I am seriously thinking about changing strategies as well.

I believe that if you are less than a year out from your cruise (10 months out or less), the likelihood that a cruise becomes chartered is highly unlikely, particularly for the larger S-class ships. The charter itself needs to have enough time to make the necessary sales prior to the sailing date.

Charters are going to happen any any cruise line, and with cruises bookable 18 months out, some passengers are going to always be affected. It appears Celebrity's policies in re-booking the affected passengers is not in line with other cruise lines, and it's inflexibility towards their passengers who are wishing to re-book on another ship at the same rate/benefits is disappointing.

Edited by absolutboy20

Totally agree with appropriate compensation when booked then bumped. Same perks should be transferable. We book flights using points too, often as soon as they open up a year out. I would be much aggrieved too.

Totally agree with appropriate compensation when booked then bumped. Same perks should be transferable. We book flights using points too, often as soon as they open up a year out. I would be much aggrieved too.

Another thought is to book flights that can be changed (flexible) without too much effort or cost.

We were very angry that our Infinity 11 day cruise/tour was cancelled due to a charter. This happened just recently.

We had no word for several months, our cruise simply vanished. Celebrity kept saying, it is still showing that you are on this sailing. Well ultimately they could not lie anymore.

Yes cancelled, we got more money by chartering it out so you are out of luck, inconvenience you say, well here is a 100 bucks for your trouble.

NOT ACCEPTABLE !!!

We were very angry that our Infinity 11 day cruise/tour was cancelled due to a charter. This happened just recently.

We had no word for several months, our cruise simply vanished. Celebrity kept saying, it is still showing that you are on this sailing. Well ultimately they could not lie anymore.

Yes cancelled, we got more money by chartering it out so you are out of luck, inconvenience you say, well here is a 100 bucks for your trouble.

NOT ACCEPTABLE !!!

Agreed, it is very poor treatment of their customers. Makes you wonder if they actually want people to cruise with them again.

The biggest "risk" in our opinion is the airfare.

For us the biggest problem was not airfare (we hadn't purchased it yet) but the difference in our Canadian dollar. We had locked it at at an agreed exchange rate and when they cancelled our cruise and offered us nothing else on the same date (or week) we had to book at the new exchange rate, effectively costing us 15% more.

I don't believe this is fair.

New strategy. Book 2 cruises for the same week. Cancel the less desirable one at time of final payment. :) Hopefully, the both won't get chartered.

I believe that if you are less than a year out from your cruise (10 months out or less), the likelihood that a cruise becomes chartered is highly unlikely, particularly for the larger S-class ships. The charter itself needs to have enough time to make the necessary sales prior to the sailing date.

Charters are going to happen any any cruise line, and with cruises bookable 18 months out, some passengers are going to always be affected. It appears Celebrity's policies in re-booking the affected passengers is not in line with other cruise lines, and it's inflexibility towards their passengers who are wishing to re-book on another ship at the same rate/benefits is disappointing.

Thanks for you video from New Zealand and Australia. I'm going there in January.

For us the biggest problem was not airfare (we hadn't purchased it yet) but the difference in our Canadian dollar. We had locked it at at an agreed exchange rate and when they cancelled our cruise and offered us nothing else on the same date (or week) we had to book at the new exchange rate, effectively costing us 15% more.

I don't believe this is fair.

New strategy. Book 2 cruises for the same week. Cancel the less desirable one at time of final payment. :) Hopefully, the both won't get chartered.

Wow, it would only work if the deposits are refundable (or very low) though.:D

One portion of StarVista's business is putting together themed sea cruises. They've been running ads for the Flower Power themed cruise on the Connie. It's open to anyone who wants to sign on. The rates per cabin are a little higher than charged by Celebrity for the same cabins.

The problem with letting folks who've already booked with Celebrity is they have more than likely paid less money for the cabin, and probably a perk of some sort. StarVista charges more per cabin.

If it is for baby boomers then I would have thought they could offer people a choice to either bail out or remain. on the ship. I suppose you have to be a member of the Starvista (whatever that is).