Thievery

Chunder Worthy

I'm about to embark here on my Med cruise in a couple of weeks and projecting lazing about the pool listening to some songs on my Ipad when I got to wondering:

Is there any measurable amount of thievery on board a Princess ship? If I left my Ipad and headphones in a backpack while I divested myself momentarily of my pina colada for a quick dip, would I expect it to be there when I came back? Same if I left it on TOP of my chaise lounge? If it's stolen, does the ship stop in the water and call for a lineup of all passengers for some embarrassing questions and possible strip search (I'm being facitious of course)?

I'd like to think a nice cruise line like Princess has a higher caliber of travelers than your average land-cruiser, so just wondering if anybody's heard of people helping themselves to others' property (not that I really expect to tempt anybody too much myself).

I accidentally left a brand new sweater on the back of my pool chair. I went back a couple of hours later to try and find it, but it was gone. I checked with the ship's lost and found everyday, for six days, and it was never turned in. I hope whomever is wearing my sweater is enjoying it.:rolleyes:

So, the answer to your question is to never leave anything on a pool chair that you don't mind replacing. If someone would steal a $30.00 sweater, I think someone would really love your Ipad. Now if it's in your backpack and you are taking a quick dip in the pool, I would probably risk it. I wouldn't leave it sitting out on my chair though.

Altho not specific to leaving it on a pool side chaise, I think nothing of leaving my laptop, iPad, and/or digital camera on my desktop while I'm galavanting all over the ship or on an excursion, and the cabin steward has my door propped open when cleaning. I know (s)he can't be expected to be in my cabin the entire time my door is open, so anyone walking by could see my electronics laying out.

I would say that if you are doing a cruise of at least 10 days or more the average age of the passengers will push 70 years old. I don't think they would even know what it is...lol Just sayin..

On behalf of all the 70+ people out there - I am insulted. I have almost as many gadgets at the young folk. I just do not replace them whenever a new model comes out so I am smarter than the young people.

LOL!! See - I even know how to change the color of my post.

DON

Iv never had a problem leaving my Ipod or backpack on the a deck chair while taking a dip. I do cover up the ipod with towel as not to advertise that it's sitting there for the taking.

On behalf of all the 70+ people out there - I am insulted. I have almost as many gadgets at the young folk. I just do not replace them whenever a new model comes out so I am smarter than the young people.

DON

Here here, my thoughts too.....no hope for anyone past 60 by the sounds of it.....! Lol :p and icons!

I would say that if you are doing a cruise of at least 10 days or more the average age of the passengers will push 70 years old. I don't think they would even know what it is...lol Just sayin..

Careful. :rolleyes: I just heard a talk on 'ageism'. No worries, not flaming. I saw your '...lol', and acknowledge that your comment is sometimes true. I'm 'Just sayin...' all of my 65+ friends are definitely 'wired' or, I should say, "wi-fied". As for myself, I refuse to be a dinosaur!

OP, I also don't leave anything lying around in plain sight that I don't want stolen, whether it's on deck or in my cabin. We keep a tidy cabin.:D

From me the OP: Thanks for all your thoughts folks. Sounds like common sense stuff (leaving nothing of any value in plain sight etc.). I'll at least casually watch my things even when I DO take a quick swim. Beyond that I'm not going to sweat worrying about my fellow passengers. We're all, in the same you-know-what after all!

Oh, and I'm 58 but NOT going to get into the ageism discussion (ha). But just remember, if you're younger, your time will come and you'll get here (and beyond) SOME time..... :D

At least keep it out of sight. That way it doesn't provide an overt invitation. We usually have our blue Princess tote bag (everyone gets one) and toss the valuable stuff in there when we hit the pool.

Out of the people that are not 70 out there, I resemble that remark. :rolleyes:

From me the OP: Thanks for all your thoughts folks. Sounds like common sense stuff (leaving nothing of any value in plain sight etc.). I'll at least casually watch my things even when I DO take a quick swim. Beyond that I'm not going to sweat worrying about my fellow passengers. We're all, in the same you-know-what after all!

Oh, and I'm 58 but NOT going to get into the ageism discussion (ha). But just remember, if you're younger, your time will come and you'll get here (and beyond) SOME time..... :D

You got it! Common sense, someone will be tempted at some point.

Limit the opportunities.

I would not leave an Ipad laying around by the pool. You never know, and if missing the chances of recovering it are very slim. If taken not only will you lose the Ipad, but all your personal information. Purchase an inexpensive music player, use an old phone to listen to music or just enjoy the music that is played by the ship. The Med is a port intensive cruise thus there isn't much lounging around the pool deck.

When you go ashore lock your IPad into the cabin safe. If you carry it with you ashore to take photos make certain it is securely attached to your person.

In 2009 I was on Star Princess and our ROOM STEWARD was going through our things. Proper management, etc were made aware and corporate Princess staff was contacted at the ship's insisting and the corporate staff made it clear they didn't care. I got two letters apologizing for not enjoying their room service menu selections (even after I replied to the first letter saying that wasn't the issue the second reply paraphrased said "I stand by what I replied with the first time")...

All that to say it's not necessarily just the other guests you have to worry about... although I have no doubt in my mind that my experience was the exception and far from the rule.

Don't leave anything out that would devastate you if it were taken. If it's of not much importance and/or wouldn't be a big deal if it "grew legs and walked away" then it's up to you and I would assume it to be fine.

Edited by InTheWASide

Are you serious? I'm 74 and started programming computers in 1964. I worked for a major online service starting in 1987. I was Director of the Apple/Boston group of the Boston Computer Society for most of the 90's. I, and my friends, use current electronics and are often early adopters. (Typing this on my iPhone 6+ with my Kindle Voyager in my lap and my iWatch on my wrist.) Edited by Pam in CA

I started with computers in the late 60's with IBM. I don't trust any one. They are no different on land or on a ship. There's dishonest people every where and age has nothing to do with it. That's the world we live in. So, IMHO, no, I wouldn't leave anything of any value laying on a lounge/table/chair or anywhere but in my safe in my cabin.

Edited by elliair

DON

Thank you Don. You brought a smile to my face ;)

Does no one remember a few years ago when someone on a Dis cruise had their iPhone stolen? The foolish crew member took many pictures of himself with his buddies and even the captain using the stolen phone. The photos went to the cloud and then onto the original owners home computer. The owner posted a few to cruise critic asking if anyone recognized them.they did. Yep, he was caught... And fired.

Does no one remember a few years ago when someone on a Dis cruise had their iPhone stolen? The foolish crew member took many pictures of himself with his buddies and even the captain using the stolen phone. The photos went to the cloud and then onto the original owners home computer. The owner posted a few to cruise critic asking if anyone recognized them.they did. Yep, he was caught... And fired.

What an idiot. Just shows you have to be very careful with your stuff.

Helpful hint: it's not a good idea to go on a forum with many people over the age of 50 and then say insulting things about old people. It's called good manners. Didn't Mommy teach you some?

I accidentally left a brand new sweater on the back of my pool chair. I went back a couple of hours later to try and find it, but it was gone. I checked with the ship's lost and found everyday, for six days, and it was never turned in. I hope whomever is wearing my sweater is enjoying it.:rolleyes:

So, the answer to your question is to never leave anything on a pool chair that you don't mind replacing. If someone would steal a $30.00 sweater, I think someone would really love your Ipad. Now if it's in your backpack and you are taking a quick dip in the pool, I would probably risk it. I wouldn't leave it sitting out on my chair though.

Someone may have thought it was a chair hog and moved it - I would still expect it to eventually show up at lost and found.

DON

Brilliant. Thank you.

Your sweater may not have been stolen purposely but taken by someone who thought it was theirs.