Make-a-wish possibly being dropped as RCI's Charity???

I hope they continue to support MAW. I don't want to be "hounded" all week to make a donation, but once or twice, an announcement that the walk is taking place is no more annoying that some of the art auction announcements or anything else I may not be interested in.

My daughter was a MAW recipient in 2011 and was able to enjoy a cruise with RCCL. We are so thankful for all those who contributed to this cause to make this happen. I'm happy to say that my daughter is doing much better (although will never be cured) and has recently taken on the role of being a MAW grantor.

:D

My two cents...

We have been blessed with grandchildren that so far so good and knock on wood they are ok. So so many other parents and grandparents not so much. My daughter in law is a lymphoma survivor of a blood cancer so aggressive she had a mass in her chest between her heart and lungs making it inoperable and 25% survivor rate. The Lymphoma Society was great to us in helping with medical resources and just support...not financialat the time but emotional. All of this only made possible by donations and annual Light the Night campaigns. Eight years cancer free Thank you Lord. We were so worried when our first little one came into our lives there could be issues from all the treatments that were involved. Praise God she is ok and now baby sister is as well. Donations keep these organizations open. Yes there are good ones and bad ones. We have donated to Make a Wish ever since our first cruise. We hoped and prayed it helped make a smile on some family somewhere in the world. Many trips to Disney we have seen families with their Make a Wish buttons and name tags. So whether one chooses to participate or not is their choice but we chose to support this great organization and there is just something about taking a stroll around the track with the Captain (in most of our cruises) and many staff members and getting to chat with them up close and personal just is icing on the cake. All for a good cause and after all who can't stand to walk off a few calories....Thank you RCCL for your support and we hope you continue to do so.

It makes sense that a company would support a charity that is beneficial to the company. While Make A Wish is certainly a very worthwhile charity, beyond that, it is not a big benefit to the cruise line. However, improving the environment, especially one connected to the oceans, would benefit the cruise line in a small way, but a benefit nonetheless.

I'm unfamiliar with make a wish as not a U.S. Resident.

I was on brilliance a few weeks back and participated in the walk, bought a t-shirt but also donated to a similar themed UK charity.

RCI is now a global cruise line with many home ports outside the U.S., so maybe this is reason behind their decision.

There are thousands of good charities in the world, but mho, helping sick children is the best.

The environment is important, as are many other charities, but if dropping make a wish is correct, I believe Royal has made a mistake.

It makes sense that a company would support a charity that is beneficial to the company. While Make A Wish is certainly a very worthwhile charity, beyond that, it is not a big benefit to the cruise line. However, improving the environment, especially one connected to the oceans, would benefit the cruise line in a small way, but a benefit nonetheless.

NO, NO, NO.....the charitable foundation of a company should NOT choose a charity to support that in any way benefits the company. They should do that anyway, but NOT as part of the public image and seeking support from its customers. Working to improve the environment, EVERY COMPANY should do in whatever ways they can, and a cruise line can improve how it impacts the environment each and every day.

But the charitable work of a corporation should GIVE BACK to the customers and consumers who they need to continue to make the profits that they do.

NO, NO, NO.....the charitable foundation of a company should NOT choose a charity to support that in any way benefits the company. They should do that anyway, but NOT as part of the public image and seeking support from its customers. Working to improve the environment, EVERY COMPANY should do in whatever ways they can, and a cruise line can improve how it impacts the environment each and every day.

But the charitable work of a corporation should GIVE BACK to the customers and consumers who they need to continue to make the profits that they do.

Take a CHILL PILL.

Tell that to the CFO. Why do you think the cruise line is making the change?

I was told on our May Hawaii cruise on the Legend of the Seas that MAW was going to be discontinued by Royal Caribbean in the near future.

From comments here, it sounds like some ships have already discontinued the walk, and MAW has come to an end.

Rick

Anyone returning from a cruise this weekend, have a report on whether or not they had the MAW walk?

Just got off Navigator today. Bought a MAW T-shirt and we did have Walk For Wishes. Our cruise director didn't say anything (at least not that I heard) about dropping partnership.

I asked customer services last night what charity was replacing make a wish, the lady phoned someone else and the quick reply was 'it's not been decided yet'

Not sure what to make of that.

I really love the MAW walks and supporting such a great cause. We had a wonderful experience with this 2 years ago on Explorer. We raised a lot of money and had fun doing it.

I will greatly miss this. :(

Just off of Indy and they mentioned MAW being special to RCCL this month so there was an auction each night before the main 9pm show offering different packages. They also had the walk the last sea day. Their goal was to raise $10,000 is grant two wishes this week and the cruise director set a challenge to the cruisers to raise this amount by offering to have the assistant cruise director's chest waxed. We didn't make the amount but not sure by how much. Either way, didn't hear anything about it being discontinued on the Indy.

Freedom did the same thing last week, raised about 8 grand in the auction, final total was just over $12,500 after the walk. The challenge was $15,000, but the waxing was going to be on the CD, not Miss Belle

Anyone returning from a cruise this weekend, have a report on whether or not they had the MAW walk?

We just returned yesterday from Liberty and Walk for Wishes for in full force. No mention of it being eliminated.

Edited by cruisenfever

6/21/15 Independence of the Seas - MAW fundraising active and strong, probably the most visible on any cruise I've been on. There was a walk, silent auctions and regular auctions at the show. Our cruise raised over $10,000 for MAW that week.

We just returned from the Grandeur today. It was announced this was their last Walk for Wishes.

No word from anyone on the ship if and when there will be a replacement.

We just returned yesterday from Liberty and Walk for Wishes for in full force. No mention of it being eliminated.

It should not surprise anyone who is a regular on these boards that, as usual, consistency is not to be expected from RCI.:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Was on Oasis 7/11 and wondered why there was NO Walk for Wishes. According to the activities director, it WAS dropped and no mention of why. He did say this decision just happened FYI. Anyone know why they dropped it?

I was on the 6/4 LOS and there was an announcement in the Compass that MAW was being eliminated and "exciting new announcement" was coming for the new charity. They did, however, have the walk and sell the shirts. [emoji32]

BTW....Royal had plenty of $10 t-shirts to sell.

Of course they did.

While no-one really wants a dirty and trashy world, it has almost gotten to the point that the "environment" is "more important" than people. That is pretty sad to me that a company would rather support oceans, birds and fish than human beings.

Of course they did.

While no-one really wants a dirty and trashy world, it has almost gotten to the point that the "environment" is "more important" than people. That is pretty sad to me that a company would rather support oceans, birds and fish than human beings.

Unless or until another charity that doesn't support human beings in some way, is chosen to replace Make a Wish Foundation, your conclusion seems a bit premature and totally unfair to a company with as good a rating for supporting social causes as RCI. Let's not start pitting the value of one worthwhile charity against another.

• 2 months later...

I remember reading this thread this summer, not expecting a walk for wishes on my Brilliance cruise.

On our 10/11 Brilliance cruise they had plenty of shirts for sale to raise money. The Walk for Wishes was cancelled due to weather, but I was surprised to still see it happening.