Formal Night Question

MAtravelbug

Hi, sailing on the Summitt to bermuda in a couple of weeks. This is our first time in aqua class, do we still have to dress formally on formal nights? thanks in advance,

MAtravelbug

Only if you decide to dine in the MDR that night

We love to dress formal on formal night in Mdr ,Blu ,this next cruise in the Luminae or even specialty restaurants. We love the chance to look great and really feel like we are having a special night out !! :)

I tend to agree. Normally, I'm an informal type of guy. Heck, I bought a black suit that fit, hadn't worn a suit in years. Once I decided dressing up for formal night wasn't a bad thing, I went all in. Heck, even on non formal nights, I'd put on a sports coat, some times with a tie, and sometimes not.

I found it to be a nice change of pace.

We love to dress formal on formal night in Mdr ,Blu ,this next cruise in the Luminae or even specialty restaurants. We love the chance to look great and really feel like we are having a special night out !! :)

That is the one of the best parts of being in Aqua. You can dress up if you want, but it is smart casual even on formal night. Some people will say you should dress formal but they are so wrong. I have not taken a suit in two years, just formal Hawaiian.

Enjoy.

Edited by ozark74

That is the one of the best parts of being in Aqua. You can dress up if you want, but it is smart casual even on formal night. Some people will say you should dress formal but they are so wrong. I have not taken a suit in two years, just formal Hawaiian.

Enjoy.

yep...some people just like to push their agenda,lol

Hi, sailing on the Summitt to bermuda in a couple of weeks. This is our first time in aqua class, do we still have to dress formally on formal nights? thanks in advance,

MAtravelbug

smart casual is fine in Blu/Luminae. It's formal in the MDR on formal nights. Suit coat, Tux or similar.

You've gotten the correct answer but I will add that even though the venue is smart casual, a lot of people (like us) will dress "up" though not formally. We typically go into the public areas of the ship from late afternoon and enjoy a few cocktails, etc. and even though we don't have to dress formally for dinner in Blu or the specialties, we like to blend in with the general ambiance of the ship. So we put in a bit more effort on those formal nights. We just like to.

My husband will typically wear (on formal night eating in Blu or specialty restaurants) a long sleeve button-down shirt with a jacket and dress slacks. I'll typically wear a long black skirt or slacks and something sparkly on top. Not formal but dressy enough to "fit in" with the rest of the people and not feel underdressed or like I'm spoiling the mood for those who are formally dressed for the main dining room.

Thought I'd mention our experience in Blu on formal nights last month on the Summit to Bermuda.

My husband wears a tie to work most days so doesn't want to when he's on a cruise. This was his first time in Blu and I knew Blu's dress code was smart casual every day, so I had him wear nice slacks and a dress shirt, no jacket or tie. I observed the room when we dined the 2 formal nights and noticed that 95% of the men (and the dining room was full at the time) wore jackets.

I had also noticed on the daily newsletter the first formal night there was a statement that said the whole ship is considered formal on formal nights. I had never seen that statement before.

My husband didn't feel out of place at all and I don't know if this was an exception, just mentioning my observation.

Thought I'd mention our experience in Blu on formal nights last month on the Summit to Bermuda.

My husband wears a tie to work most days so doesn't want to when he's on a cruise. This was his first time in Blu and I knew Blu's dress code was smart casual every day, so I had him wear nice slacks and a dress shirt, no jacket or tie. I observed the room when we dined the 2 formal nights and noticed that 95% of the men (and the dining room was full at the time) wore jackets.

I had also noticed on the daily newsletter the first formal night there was a statement that said the whole ship is considered formal on formal nights. I had never seen that statement before.

My husband didn't feel out of place at all and I don't know if this was an exception, just mentioning my observation.

I have also seen the statement about the whole ship being formal. I have pointed that out to guest relations but they did not care. The only place that is formal on formal night is the main dining room. The theater is also smart causal just like the speciality restaurants and Blu.

There is a standard, very poorly written statement on formal nights that talks about the dress code for the night being formal...and the dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. The first "dress code" applies to the MDR...the second says that they will enforce the dress code appropriate to that restaurant.

The entire ship is not formal, the show that night is not formal..only the MDR has the formal dress code. Other restaurants have their own dress code, irrespective of that terrible statement in the daily events paper.

There is a standard, very poorly written statement on formal nights that talks about the dress code for the night being formal...and the dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. The first "dress code" applies to the MDR...the second says that they will enforce the dress code appropriate to that restaurant.

The entire ship is not formal, the show that night is not formal..only the MDR has the formal dress code. Other restaurants have their own dress code, irrespective of that terrible statement in the daily events paper.

The whole ship has not been formal on formal nights for several years now, it changed when Celebrity changed the dress code from three types of night time dress to two and that is quite awhile now.

The dress code is "smart casual and above" for Blu, the choice is up to the person either way and no one should be ashamed either way.

Edited by dkjretired