Sea plane crash in 2015 - NTSB Report is Out

Very, very sad. We had booked a floatplane on our 2007 cruise, but after two incidents that summer we canceled, thinking there could be a systemic probably.

We cruised Alaska again last September. We did the Misty Fjords floatplane and had a great time. I'm not sure I'd do it again.

Let's not forget that this didn't just impact the Westerdam and Holland America. How about some prayers for the pilot, their family, the people at Promech Air, and the town of Ketchikan (small town where I'm sure everyone knows everyone).

Keeping all those who have been impacted by this tragedy in my thoughts and prayers.

Well said. I don't think anyone was even thinking about that aspect. As cruisers we think of passengers and crew first. I want to sincerely thank you for reminding of us that as with all tragedies it will have a far reaching impact.

May God Bless the souls of those deceased and bring comfort to all the rest.

Sad news for everyone involved... I have known folks who live in Alaska... weather determines everything...

We have travelled on the Westerdam a couple of times, one of my favorite ships... very sad.

Very, very sad. We had booked a floatplane on our 2007 cruise, but after two incidents that summer we canceled, thinking there could be a systemic probably.

We cruised Alaska again last September. We did the Misty Fjords floatplane and had a great time. I'm not sure I'd do it again.

I reviewed the NTSB reports for Ketchikan since 2005. Until this latest mishap, the last fatal tour plane mishaps were the 2 mentioned here in 2007. A recommendation from 2007 was to install weather cameras along the flight routes in the Misty Fjord area. These cameras are operational and avail for anyone to see online. Google FAA ALASKA weather cam and you will find all of them. You can find the one for Misty Fjords.

The cause of this tragedy is unknown pending the investigation. The probable causes of the 2007 mishaps were both weather related.

Oh my gosh, my prayers are with all of the loved ones who lost a part of their family. This is so very sad....We were on the Westerdam when she sailed the first cruise of the season. I just can't stop thinking about this...May God be with them...

I reviewed the NTSB reports for Ketchikan since 2005. Until this latest mishap, the last fatal tour plane mishaps were the 2 mentioned here in 2007. A recommendation from 2007 was to install weather cameras along the flight routes in the Misty Fjord area. These cameras are operational and avail for anyone to see online. Google FAA ALASKA weather cam and you will find all of them. You can find the one for Misty Fjords.

The cause of this tragedy is unknown pending the investigation. The probable causes of the 2007 mishaps were both weather related.

I reviewed every fatal aviation mishap flying anywhere in Alaska under part 135 (air charters) for the last 10 years. There were a total of 3 anywhere in the state that involved scheduled flight seeing tours. The 2 in 2007 previously mentioned, one in 2013 originating in Petersburg and then the latest one earlier today.

There were others involving air taxi and cargo, but not tours.

Our thoughts and prayers are with them all.

Edited by Pete and Judy

Such sad news.

I have been on the Ketchikan float plane tour and it was an amazing and unforgettable day for us, but I can well I imagine how the weather can turn in an instant and flying conditions could become very dangerous.

Thoughts are with all affected by this terrible tragedy.

Source: KomoNews.Com 5:47PM PST (My apologies, just now saw another post on this.)

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A small float plane carrying eight Holland America cruise ship passengers and a pilot crashed about 20 miles outside of Ketchikan, Alaska.

The U.S. Coast Guard says the plane has been discovered on a cliff-side near Ella Lake after it was reported missing Thursday afternoon.

The Alaska Dispatch News reports a medical team has been sent out but the condition of the plane and its occupants isn't immediately known. Coast Guard Petty Officer 1st Class Kelly Parker the agency was launching a helicopter from Sitka and a rescue vessel from Ketchikan.

The passengers were from the ms Westerdam and were on a sightseeing tour run by Promech Air while the ship was docked in Ketchikan, according to a statement from Holland America Cruise Lines.

"We are incredibly distressed by this situation, and our thoughts and prayers are with those on board the plane and their families," the company wrote in the statement. "Holland America Line is extending its full support to traveling companions of the guests involved."

The Westerdam is based in Seattle during the summer and does week-long round-trip cruises to Alaska, according to the company's web site. The current cruise had left Seattle on June 20.

The ship had been scheduled to leave Ketchikan at 1 p.m. but marine tracking web sites show the ship remains in port.

Thank you for this information.

Nine dead -- how many were passengers?

All except pilot were pax on Westerdam - eight people. Some had more family onboard ship. They disembarked and the ship has now left for Seattle. I is not a happy end to cruise.

This brings back bad memories. Was in the Coast Guard when another Otter Aircraft went down in Taku Inlet, near Juneau. Helped rescue survivors and recover the victims.

Some days later.

Anyone remember the SS Universe?

Just Terrible. Again.

7 Presumed Dead In Alaska Crash

June 23, 1994

A sightseeing plane crashed in Taku Inlet near Juneau, killing three people. Four others were missing and presumed dead, the Coast Guard said. The single-engine DH-3 Otter floatplane, a plane equipped with pontoons or floats for landing on water, crashed and sank in the icy, fog-shrouded inlet east of Juneau on Wednesday evening, the Coast Guard said. Four of the 10 passengers and the pilot were rescued by another floatplane and taken to a Juneau hospital. One of them, a 67-year-old man, died of complications from hypothermia, or abnormally low body temperature. The plane was operated by Wings of Alaska. The passengers were visiting Juneau aboard the cruise ship S.S. Universe, the Coast Guard said.

What horrible news to wake up to. The families involved must be devastated---I really can't imagine.

The mood onboard the Westerdam must be extremely subdued today.

My thoughts are certainly with all involved.

What sad news to see this morning.

My heart goes out to the families on board and families at home.

It must be a sad day on the Westerdam. My thoughts are with them all.

was praying for a miracle. So unbelievable. We just came back from Alaska and did the plane tour. I will never go on that little plane again, We were tossed around like a kite I prayed most of the tour so scared. I almost kissed the ground when we got off.. What those poor people went through. RIP

Same here. We also did this tour years ago and I didnt enjoy getting there. My thoughts and prayers are with all involved. RIP