Corkage Fee?

If we bring bottles of wine on board are we able to open it ourselves in our room for no corkage fee? Or do they confiscate them when we board and open them for us when we want them charging us a corkage fee?

We don't want to be charge a fee when we can bring our own wine key, we just weren't' sure if this was possible to ovoid. Thanks :)

I've brought wine and the steward left me a corkscrew for the entire sailing. I only drank it in my cabin though. If you plan to enjoy it in the mdr, I believe you have to pay the corkage fee.

Edited by Virtopia

If we bring bottles of wine on board are we able to open it ourselves in our room for no corkage fee? Or do they confiscate them when we board and open them for us when we want them charging us a corkage fee?

We don't want to be charge a fee when we can bring our own wine key, we just weren't' sure if this was possible to ovoid. Thanks :)

There is no corkage fee on Royal, anywhere on the ship, no matter who opens the bottle.

Edited by clarea

Thanks! I thought I had read somewhere on here that people were being charged a corkage fee but I might have mis-read. I forgot to add that we are sailing on the Oasis but since there is no fee on any ship I guess it doesn't matter! hehe

:D

Royal now allows 2 bottles per cabin and you are free to enjoy them anywhere. Take your wine to the MDR and enjoy... or course a glass or two on a balcony are great as well:)!

We just got off Oasis Saturday. We carried on two bottles of wine and used RC credit card points to purchase a bottle of champagne which was delivered to our room on the first evening. Our room steward provided us with a second ice bucket to chill our champagne and also gave us various glasses. We took a bottle with us to the MDR on three nights. Each time our waitstaff was happy to open, serve and chill our wine/champagne. We were "my time" so we had different waiters each night. No charge, no fuss, no problem. Of course, you can also open your own and drink it anywhere on the ship.

One bottle lasted you 3 NGHTS???? REALLY??? I'm amazed...you must either be magicians, or only take a sip of wine per night!

3 bottles, 3 nights.

Alacazam!!!

I hope you are still amazed!:D

A corkage fee had nothing to do with who opens the bottle. It's the fee paid to make up for lost revenue for not buying the ship's/restaurant's wine. When a corkage fee is charged, if you bring your bottle to dinner, you pay the fee no matter who opens the bottle.

One bottle lasted you 3 NGHTS???? REALLY??? I'm amazed...you must either be magicians, or only take a sip of wine per night!

Well, I did managed to make a bottle last 7 nights, drinking a little only during dinner time.. :D

You can drink the wine in your room or bring to MDR and they will NOT charge you corkage. Enjoy

A corkage fee had nothing to do with who opens the bottle. It's the fee paid to make up for lost revenue for not buying the ship's/restaurant's wine. When a corkage fee is charged, if you bring your bottle to dinner, you pay the fee no matter who opens the bottle.

The important thing that the OP needs to know is that RCI no longer charges a corkage fee regardless of where the bottle is opened or who opened it. Even when there was a corkage fee charged in the MDR, we were rarely, if ever, charged it.

• 1 month later...

The restaurants will store any partially-consumed bottle of wine for you - either one of the two bottles you are allowed to carry-on, or a bottle you have purchased on board. Of course this doesn't count duty-free purchases as those will not be delivered to you until the last night of your cruise. My wife does not drink wine, so I order a bottle for me in the restaurant and have it brought to my table for a glass or two with dinner. They will even transfer it from the MDR to the specialty restaurants.

Thanks! I thought I had read somewhere on here that people were being charged a corkage fee but I might have mis-read. I forgot to add that we are sailing on the Oasis but since there is no fee on any ship I guess it doesn't matter! hehe

:D

Just 3 or 4 years ago, they didn't allow you to bring on wine at all. Then they changed it to allow 2 bottles per stateroom, but with a corkage fee, if you consumed it in public areas (though reports varied on whether they actually bothered with charging that fee). Now they have done away with the corkage fees altogether, so you are welcome to bring a bottle to dinner and have you waiter open and pour it for you.

So, it's all fairly recent and not surprising that you mean still hear someone mention a corkage fee, but they are no longer a thing on RC.

Edited by Paul65

This is not true. We just got off the Adventure this weekend and our group brought bottles of wine and not only did they open it for us but they stored them in the fridge for us and served it every night until it was gone. There was no charge whatsoever for opening it or for storing it or serving it. We did a poor job of drinking our wine though because we were just too tired to enjoy drinking alcohol after such a long day on the beach and we ended up drinking water and leaving our glasses of wine half full every night :/ we actually brought our own corkscrew to dinner and the waiter laughed at us; it was totally unnecessary to bring our own because they are happy to open it for you.