What ID is needed?

On a closed loop (leaving and returning to a US port), what ID is required? I am trying to figure out what type of birth certificate is required. I understand a photo ID, such as a driver's license and a birth certificate can be used in lieu of a passport card. I know you cannot use a form filled out by the hospital, but where do you obtain the proper birth certificate?

On a closed loop (leaving and returning to a US port), what ID is required? I am trying to figure out what type of birth certificate is required. I understand a photo ID, such as a driver's license and a birth certificate can be used in lieu of a passport card. I know you cannot use a form filled out by the hospital, but where do you obtain the proper birth certificate?

If you were born in the US, you can use a certified copy of your birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

Getting a certified copy of your BC varies by location. I'd check with the county of your birth first. They probably have a website.

Edited by clarea

We can get certified copies of our birth certificated from city or town hall of the location where we were born. We can also fill out an online form and order one through the mail for $5 for the town I was born in and $10 for the one my DH was born in. You can also get one from vital statistics but the fees are crazy.

I was, in a past life, a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy. Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, do not travel abroad without a passport. If something goes awry while you are out of the country and you do not have a passport, the consular officer will have to go through a fun-filled process of verifying your American citizenship and identity. While the birth certificate and driver's license are useful tools in that process, the most frequent problem is that those get lost, or they are still on the ship, or something fun like that. It is also recognized by local authorities if you have to stop in a foreign port beyond the transit status of most cruise ship dockings. The passport gives you a much better level of security in the event of emergency.

I am another person who thinks you should have a passport. You never know what may go wrong and you are left in a different country, That passport will save a lot of headachs and time if something goes wrong. We have had ours for around 15 years and will continue to get them as long as we are traveling.

I was, in a past life, a consular officer at a U.S. Embassy. Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, do not travel abroad without a passport. If something goes awry while you are out of the country and you do not have a passport, the consular officer will have to go through a fun-filled process of verifying your American citizenship and identity. While the birth certificate and driver's license are useful tools in that process, the most frequent problem is that those get lost, or they are still on the ship, or something fun like that. It is also recognized by local authorities if you have to stop in a foreign port beyond the transit status of most cruise ship dockings. The passport gives you a much better level of security in the event of emergency.

Maybe you can answer a question that I've seen around here before....

If you have a passport issued to you, but you're not in possession of it (for example, you miss the ship and get left in port with your passport secured away in your stateroom), is it easier for the Embassy to confirm your citizenship / identity based on the passport information on-file?

I have a passport, and I also have a scanned copy of my passport that I can access as long as I have internet access. If I show up at an Embassy without any picture ID but with the ability to show my passport info via my scanned/internet copy, am I better off than someone who never had a passport issued but does have a birth certificate and a driver license in their possession?

Maybe you can answer a question that I've seen around here before....

If you have a passport issued to you, but you're not in possession of it (for example, you miss the ship and get left in port with your passport secured away in your stateroom), is it easier for the Embassy to confirm your citizenship / identity based on the passport information on-file?

I have a passport, and I also have a scanned copy of my passport that I can access as long as I have internet access. If I show up at an Embassy without any picture ID but with the ability to show my passport info via my scanned/internet copy, am I better off than someone who never had a passport issued but does have a birth certificate and a driver license in their possession?

So if you have a driver's license and a birth certificate in your possession, it can probably be made to work. There are, however, three problems. First, the consular officer may need to verify the authenticity of the birth certificate and might have no idea what a valid document from Massachusetts in the 1950s looks like. While s/he can ultimately assist you, it can lead to delays. Second, most cruisers most of the time do not have such documents in hand- see your scenario about leaving the passport in the safe. The same is apt to happen with your other documents. Third, it is conceivable that you will have an interaction with the local authorities prior to your interaction with the U.S. authorities (or whatever your citizenship is). If so, it is much easier if you have a passport or if the cruise ship at least has it on file.

If I show up at an Embassy without any picture ID but with the ability to show my passport info via my scanned/internet copy, am I better off than someone who never had a passport issued but does have a birth certificate and a driver license in their possession?

In other words, does the fact that I have a passport in my name (even if I'm not in physical possession of it) help at all when "stuck on an island unexpectedly"?

From what I read on these boards, if the ship is about to leave without you, and they have a passport on file as your identification - they will send security to your stateroom and attempt to find your passport. If they do, they'll leave it with the port agent.

Millions of US citizens travel on closed loop cruises without a passport and have no issues at all since the risk is very low of something happening. As long as one is willing to put up with a delay if something happens traveling without a passport on a closed loop cruise there is nothing wrong with using an alternative. Every person's risk level is different and every person's comfort level with that risk is different.

If I show up at an Embassy without any picture ID but with the ability to show my passport info via my scanned/internet copy, am I better off than someone who never had a passport issued but does have a birth certificate and a driver license in their possession?

In other words, does the fact that I have a passport in my name (even if I'm not in physical possession of it) help at all when "stuck on an island unexpectedly"?

The fact that you have a passport should make it much easier for the Consulate to help you since they can pull you up in the database easily.

I agree with Petroplex, if you are cruising ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a passport because remember even though it may be an Alaskan cruise, you have one or more stops in Canada and it makes coming home so much easier. Some Alaska cruises you disembark (end of cruise) in Canada and you MUST have a passport to get home.

I agree with Petroplex, if you are cruising ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a passport because remember even though it may be an Alaskan cruise, you have one or more stops in Canada and it makes coming home so much easier. Some Alaska cruises you disembark (end of cruise) in Canada and you MUST have a passport to get home.

If you disembark in Canada it's not a closed loop cruise, but you only need a passport to get home if you are flying- returning you may use a passport card or EDL via land or sea (for instance if you spent some time in Canada then embarked on a cruise from Canada to the US).

Seems that every time someone asks about what is needed for a closed loop cruise, they get blasted about having a passport.

While having a passport is better, it does not make sense for many people that are taking their once in a lifetime trip. Let them deal with the very rare chance that it becomes an issue. Very, very rare.

Yes, we have a passport, but would not presume to make that decision for everyone else.

Seems that every time someone asks about what is needed for a closed loop cruise, they get blasted about having a passport.

While having a passport is better, it does not make sense for many people that are taking their once in a lifetime trip. Let them deal with the very rare chance that it becomes an issue. Very, very rare.

Yes, we have a passport, but would not presume to make that decision for everyone else.

From the responses in this thread I don't see anyone getting 'blasted.'

Even beyond this thread *most* replies encourage people to have a passport and will state why.

I say give them the info and let them decide if it 'makes sense.'

...and I really hope you don't think I'm blasting you with this post.

Edited by ewenix

We are sailing from Rome. So if I bring a driver's license, and passport from the US I should be set. Do I need to bring immunization forms?

All the information you need is at this website:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country.html

Make sure you check all the countries you are visiting for their visa and passport requirements.

Regardless of Closed Loop or not, a Pass Port is important. Should an emergency arise and you need to fly home, having a PP will cut down on the time spent trying to fly out of a country back to the States. Whenever we leave the ship on a Tour, our PP's are with us not in our room along with our DL's.

What about the passport app from travel.state.gov? If you input the information, it pulls up your passport information. Does anyone know if that is acceptable? I do not personally have the app but do know people who do.

I hadn't heard of that app, but it might be acceptable. Myself I prefer to have the actual copy with me, however do take a picture with my I Pad, so in the event my PP were stolen during a cruise I have the photo on my I Pad to hopefully obtain a new one with little delay.