new silver muse

zqtchas

Whilst I would agree that arrival at Miami airport should be avoided if at all possible there are easy ways round it. We make it an excuse to have a few days in New York on the way out and then fly down to FLL thus avoiding MIA. If SS did switch to Miami then it is a simple $100 taxi run down from FLL. I am not aware of any direct flights from UK to FLL but would have thought this is an option for a number of USA passengers.

At the end of the cruise it would be local for MIA which is no worse than any other airport for departures in my view.

When Seabourn had got its new large (relative) ships in place, it pensioned off its smaller ones, I think to Windstar. Is there any similarity here with Silversea?

Our favourite ship is the Wind, but it is clear that both her and the Cloud suffer technical issues that are directly related to the age of the vessels. It does the image of the line no good when passengers comment to us that they will not sail on these two smaller ships because they are now "tired". A lot of money needs to be sent on both these two ships to bring them up to a similar standard of the Silversea classic vessels, most importantly in terms of reliability. On our Wind cruise in March a main hot water pipe on Deck 6 broke overnight and flooded a number of passenger cabins. When we asked the reason we were told "the ship is old". Fortunately there were sufficient cabins available to relocate passengers, while the waterlogged cabins were able to dry out in the high humidity of Burma and South India! A further point concerns some of the cabins which anyone in the know would never book. Lets take for example, the Medallion suite 802 on the Wind. This is immediately underneath the aerobic machines in the gym. On our last two Wind cruises, the occupants of this cabin both complained repeatedly to the Captain and HD that their sleep was being disturbed due to people in the gym late in the evening or very early in the morning. Removing the equipments' power sockets by the spa staff to prevent use, had no effect because users just reconnected the power. The response from SS to the passengers' complaints was "yes we know about this". Surely this is utterly unacceptable as an attitude towards people who have paid a lot of money for a premium cabin? Hopefully issues of this sort will be resolved in the Muse.

As to the move of SS from FLL to Miami, cynically does this give SS the opportunity to recruit at lower pay levels into posts vacated by staff in FLL?

Miami airport may be bad for Americans but it is even worse for other nationalities arriving and having to clear customs.

In defence of Miami the one and only time we flew out of there in 2011, we experienced no problems at all, but it is certainly an airport we would choose to avoid if at all possible. As already mentioned FLL does not appear to have direct flights from Western Europe.

One further point - in view of the inclusion of shore excursions, will the passengers who deserted Regent for this reason and sailed with SS, now desert SS? What will the loyal SS contingent who did not wish to have shore excursions included, decide to do? Worrying times!

In conclusion, we too would be very sad if the two smaller ships, the Wind in particular were to leave the SS fleet, but, in view of the news, it does seem as if the writing is on the wall because it is more cost effective to build new, than to spend a considerable sum on renovating the old.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Whether both smaller vessels will be sold off or sail on for another year or two is moot. What is certain is that the golden era of cruising in a clubby and intimate atmosphere is over. You might say it’s gone with the “Wind”.

• 2 weeks later...

Please enjoy this Silver Muse Steel cutting vid (thanks Brian/Stumblefoot for he heads up via FB) , put out today by Silversea on Social Media via you tube. Good to see SS leveraging social media (FB and Twitter) to showcase their newest flagship build. FYI, @ about 1:50 min into the vid Silversea has list of key Silver Muse attributes to include 8 dining venues, and new outside venues including a sky deck.

Please enjoy this Silver Muse Steel cutting vid (thanks Brian/Stumblefoot for he heads up via FB), put out today by Silversea on Social Media via you tube.
My pleasure Wes.

It'll be interesting to see where they find the space to place two more restaurants on board.

duct tape, Jo/Master Echo first mentioned this ('No MDR planned for Muse") in another thread. In any case, hopefully soon the SS blog and or SS media releases will give us more Muse detail.

If there's no main dining room what does that do to the concept of open seating? Specialty restaurants usually require advance reservations and who wants to plan dinner every night months in advance? I certainly don't.

Colonel Wes is quite correct it was me that said there would not be a "main dining room" on the Muse. This information was from a very impeccable source and I have no reason to doubt its veracity.

However as you so rightly say wripro this does impact on the whole concept of open seating and the usual need to prebook a " speciality" restaurant, thereby taking away the spontaniety of turning an aperitif into a lets dine together with new found friends.

But then you all forget that it will be a bigger ship than even the Spirit, which we consider has not got the soul of the rest of the fleet and it is unlikely you will get the staff remembering your name within a few days as is so typical of the small ships which have a more intimate atmosphere. - but then I suppose we all have to move with the times. - more bottoms in cabins!!

Kindest regards to you all

Master Echo

Personally, whether staff remembers my name is not that important. Not having the spontaneity of open seating, however, is VERY important to me. It's the reason I don't sail on Crystal. And if that's the case on the Silver Muse she won't be getting my business either.

It looks as if someone's supposition that there would be no open dining has now reached the point of established fact!

The details of dining are completely unknown now. Adding to myth and rumour seems so unnecessary, unhelpful and just plain fanciful.

It looks as if someone's supposition that there would be no open dining has now reached the point of established fact!

The details of dining are completely unknown now. Adding to myth and rumour seems so unnecessary, unhelpful and just plain fanciful.

Your argument made me laugh. It brought back my days of debate. Logic and reasoning , simple declarative sentences. You are, of course, right.

Thannks for sharing Brian, wonder if this Venetian Inaugural follows the Silver Muse Maiden Voyage from the Fincantieri shipyard (maiden embarkation port my guess will be near Genoa) then sail maybe to Nice--anyway all guesswork at this stage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk