Should Private Lounges Be for Elite Level Only?

blkspy

Pier 27 when you enter into the terminal, you enter in with everyone regardless of your status. After you fill out your health papers, you are directed to the platinum or elite line. Once you're signed in you are directed to a lounge area along with elite/platinum/suite. You are given a number before entering into the "lounge" area. There's plenty of seating. Most people just stand around, get coffee, snacks, etc., that Princess offers us. When ready to board the numbers are called. Elites go first, suites, then platinum. Works very smoothly.
Thanks for the info on Pier 27. We might drive up there for another cruise some time.

Leave things the way they are. If 400 people get to wait in the ultra-luxurious, perk-laden lounge, so be it. Who is getting hurt by this? Is the need to be/feel superior really that important?

No problem if the lounge can hold 400 people.

The problem is when the lounge can only hold 200 people and 400 want to use it.

At Fort Lauderdale terminal 2 and at Houston Bayport there is a suite/elite lounge. Platinum has a separate waiting area, but without the lounge amenities.

We were on the Emerald in April and it was our first time as Platinum members. We went each night to the lounge for drinks and hors d'oeuvres. We never found the lounge crowded or even busy expect for right when it opened. There were always seats available and while popular, it was never a concern.

As for the disembarkation lounge we thought it was excellent. While others struggled to find seats in other areas of the ship we easily found seats (near a power plug even) and had room around us plus the provided drinks and pastries. Again, while popular we never felt like there were too many people in the lounge.

Elites get laundry service, mini-bar setups, priority tenders amongst other things. I think there is more than enough room to go around on the ship for platinum and elites to share lounges. Maybe it depends heavily on the itinerary as some cruises will inherently draw more seasoned cruisers versus new people.

I agree with an earlier post that suites do not seem to get enough "perks" so to speak. Suites are fairly pricey and while the rooms are huge there aren't a whole lot of benefits you get in a suite that an elite member in an inside cabin wouldn't get. If I were paying that much for a cabin I would like a little more.

Just my thoughts. YMMV

Like to afford a suite on a cruise ship?Lucky for them that they can afford that privilege plus breakfast in Sabatini's .

Edited by kruisey

Like to afford a suite on a cruise ship?Lucky for them that they can afford that privilege plus breakfast in Sabatini's .

I will, when I sail on 11/11/2016, be a Blue Card newbie sailing in a Window Suite as a Belated 50th Birthday present to myself. I originally planned to book a Disabled Accessible Premium Balcony stateroom, but my friend's Great Uncle found out about the Window Suites having 1 Disabled Accessible Suite and told her to, "Get on the phone to your friend and tell her to check the price for her cruise. If she can't afford the extra, she's to tell you and you'll send the money over to you, I'll give it to you happily-she's always been a loyal friend and neighbour when you lived near her." I did check out the price-$500 which is easily saved at $20 a fortnight, so booked myself the Window Suite. Princess Cruises cancelled the original cruise of 04/17/2016 sailing from Melbourne to Sydney, but I get an extra 24 hours aboard; was offered AUD$35 On Board Credit for my inconvenience, and am sailing in my Spring season so the weather is much better than mid-Fall which the original cruise was!

I've eagerly scoured through threads on Cruise Critic, noting down any useful tips I find-am still checking in several times a day. I've completely filled 1 notepad with useful information-some of which has changed my packing list for the better! I have a sponge bag full to just about bursting with mini samples of haircare; dental care; fragrance; make up and skincare. A friend alerted me on another website to make sure I take at least 1 long-sleeved top as the public rooms may be quite cool at night-and to plan multi-tasking colourways with your clothing. I also found a lightweight raincoat and a new long sleeved sweatshirt which I've put on layby for the cruise.

I'm looking forward to enjoying most of the Suite Privileges-the boutonniere is not applicable as I doubt there'd be a Formal Night on a 3-night cruise, but everything else will be enjoyed and reported on. Have noted to take plenty of photos, and ACTUALLY be specific as to room; deck; location-bow, port, aft or starboard to help people understand the layout. No shore excursions, it's a straight Coastal cruise from Sydney to Melbourne, but I will have Priority Embarkation in the Window Suite. I hope, by the 1st morning, I will know to pay a visit to the Future Cruise Sales to purchase a Future Cruise Deposit or 2 to be ready when I can select the next cruise. On my Rollator, I'm quite a challenge in a crowded room-the Priority Embarkation waiting area will be interesting!

I will, when I sail on 11/11/2016, be a Blue Card newbie sailing in a Window Suite as a Belated 50th Birthday present to myself. I originally planned to book a Disabled Accessible Premium Balcony stateroom, but my friend's Great Uncle found out about the Window Suites having 1 Disabled Accessible Suite and told her to, "Get on the phone to your friend and tell her to check the price for her cruise. If she can't afford the extra, she's to tell you and you'll send the money over to you, I'll give it to you happily-she's always been a loyal friend and neighbour when you lived near her." I did check out the price-$500 which is easily saved at $20 a fortnight, so booked myself the Window Suite. Princess Cruises cancelled the original cruise of 04/17/2016 sailing from Melbourne to Sydney, but I get an extra 24 hours aboard; was offered AUD$35 On Board Credit for my inconvenience, and am sailing in my Spring season so the weather is much better than mid-Fall which the original cruise was!

I've eagerly scoured through threads on Cruise Critic, noting down any useful tips I find-am still checking in several times a day. I've completely filled 1 notepad with useful information-some of which has changed my packing list for the better! I have a sponge bag full to just about bursting with mini samples of haircare; dental care; fragrance; make up and skincare. A friend alerted me on another website to make sure I take at least 1 long-sleeved top as the public rooms may be quite cool at night-and to plan multi-tasking colourways with your clothing. I also found a lightweight raincoat and a new long sleeved sweatshirt which I've put on layby for the cruise.

I'm looking forward to enjoying most of the Suite Privileges-the boutonniere is not applicable as I doubt there'd be a Formal Night on a 3-night cruise, but everything else will be enjoyed and reported on. Have noted to take plenty of photos, and ACTUALLY be specific as to room; deck; location-bow, port, aft or starboard to help people understand the layout. No shore excursions, it's a straight Coastal cruise from Sydney to Melbourne, but I will have Priority Embarkation in the Window Suite. I hope, by the 1st morning, I will know to pay a visit to the Future Cruise Sales to purchase a Future Cruise Deposit or 2 to be ready when I can select the next cruise. On my Rollator, I'm quite a challenge in a crowded room-the Priority Embarkation waiting area will be interesting!

Nice story. I hope that you have a great cruise, do not behave yourself and don't get caught!!! :D

Tom

We did a B2B on the Golden in Alaska this year and I was able to take photos of the three different WS cabins and have posted the links below.

F301 - Small Cabin

F307 - Standard Cabin (and F303, F305, F309 and F311)

F315 - Accessible Cabin

Check out the photos above.

No problem if the lounge can hold 400 people.

The problem is when the lounge can only hold 200 people and 400 want to use it.

At Fort Lauderdale terminal 2 and at Houston Bayport there is a suite/elite lounge. Platinum has a separate waiting area, but without the lounge amenities.

Again, I think this is a molehill. With priority check in and boarding, you arrive at 11:30 and board at noon with about 15 minutes spent checking in. There is no need to hang around the waiting area for 2 hours. And if one does arrive at 10:00, they will be one of the first 200 and will get a seat. The 400th person to arrive probably is going to go straight on to the ship, or close to it.

Again, I think this is a molehill. With priority check in and boarding, you arrive at 11:30 and board at noon with about 15 minutes spent checking in. There is no need to hang around the waiting area for 2 hours. And if one does arrive at 10:00, they will be one of the first 200 and will get a seat. The 400th person to arrive probably is going to go straight on to the ship, or close to it.

I do not know the number of people, but by the time boarding started on my most recent cruise out of Port Everglades the suite/elite lounge in the terminal had standing room only and this was without platinum passengers in it.

We're Platinum, almost Elite, but because DH uses a transport chair and requires assistance, we are assigned to special areas to disembark and never use the special lounges, so it wouldn't matter to us.

Check out the photos above.

THANK YOU! Have pinned this to my Taskbar so I can have a daily drool! I had just seen a mention of a Toilet Seat Raiser on another thread, which reminded me to check the height of the toilet in the Suite. Based on your wonderfully clear photos (really clever anticipation of any questions I might have :D) I won't need to ask for 1, the toilet height already looks, judging against the handrail, to be compatible with the height I am used to. With the fixed handrail on both walls, I would have far better safety than with a portable seat raiser, fixed is more stable! Portable is also great, I use a supplied one at home, but a little nervous about managing on a moving ship. A friend on another online forum warned me to be careful of the emergency call alarm-she and her husband were assigned a Disabled Accessible cabin and thoroughly enjoyed the extra space, but she, while using the toilet, accidently set off the alarm, and someone rang the cabin to find out if someone was in need of assistance. She was mortified when her husband came in to check if she was all right-what a place to be caught on! She knows I have limited eyesight so warned me before I sailed as I will be alone in the Window Suite, so might get an unexpected visit from the Steward!

I can't understand the need to be at the front of the line for boarding. A meal in the MDR that's all I can think of.

If you do not want to wait in line, turn up about an hour before sailing and there will not be a long line.

I was at Southampton's Ocean terminal recently and did not see anything special re a lounge for elite. All I did see was a long line when they called the elite to board.

I can't understand the need to be at the front of the line for boarding. A meal in the MDR that's all I can think of.

If you do not want to wait in line, turn up about an hour before sailing and there will not be a long line.

I was at Southampton's Ocean terminal recently and did not see anything special re a lounge for elite. All I did see was a long line when they called the elite to board.

To each his own. ;)

I thought Early Boarding made things clear. Sorry for your confusion.

The conversation was only about Boarding......at least thats what it was when I joined it.

IMHO the other included perks for Elite or Platinum do not collide at all. The Disembarkation lounge is no big deal one way or the other. Lounges like New York feel at times like a cattle pen its so small and crowed before a cruise.

Not once in the original question was eliminating Platinum perks mentioned other than a 'Dedicated' Boarding lounge for Elite members in departure cities world wide as a loyalty reward.

The reason the lounge feels like a cattle pen is that Elite and Platinum members try to bring on their friends who are not! Seen this many times on our repro cruise out of New York!

The reason the lounge feels like a cattle pen is that Elite and Platinum members try to bring on their friends who are not! Seen this many times on our repro cruise out of New York!

And part of the reason we don't use the disembarkation lounge either. :(