Big changes coming

redshine

Yes, but it seems your definition would be more about the perception of the cruiser. For some, Celebrity, Carnival or even Princess would fit that bill, and we know that ain't right.

Well, actually, I beg to differ. For many people a Celebrity, Carnival, or Princess cruise WOULD be a luxury.

I'm not sure I would say Oceania is luxury, but then I don't cruise in a suite. But cruising on O makes me happy and relaxed, so maybe it is.....

For what it's worth, we are happy enough with O that we have never ventured elsewhere. I am curious to try a mega ship sometime as I have friends who really enjoy their cruises on them.

What I find hilarious and pretentious is the phrase "well traveled". When exactly does one become "well traveled"?

Mo

...What I find hilarious and pretentious is the phrase "well traveled". When exactly does one become "well traveled"?

Mo

I think it's when you can name the 3 letter code for any airport, and vice versa...which leaves me out as I'm only sure of MIA ;)

And Regent cruisers are not "well travelled"? They are definitely not the type to want hand-holding, although after a certain age, some want to be coddled a bit, granted, but that's true on both lines I think.

I must say that based on a single crossing on Riviera, and something like ten or so on Regent, I didn't connect that well with fellow pax on my O cruise. But that's an anecdotal data point. Looking forward to trying again--Regent is too rich for my blood these days.

Sorry, was just citing from the how the ships seem to be positioned as to marketing from what I read.

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-5WOY6H/287508876x0x821594/8D0C0724-97E6-4563-B40B-49ED40FD2A78/NCLH2014_eAnnualReport.pdf

I don't think that I said Regent cruisers are less traveled. Most, probably do prefer to see the ports with tours, given the all innclusive nature of the cruise line. Personally, i think those most interested in being students of history and culture prefer tours and those that are just content with an experiential visit don't want the filtering of a guide. YMMV.

In my experience it's the Oceania crowd who think of Regent with horror, because of the all-inclusiveness. Ironic that that's the subject of this thread, as Oceania tries it on. I for one would welcome included alcohol, above all else, not because I myself drink very much any more, but because it "oils the wheels" in the lounges, and makes everyone more friendly. This is in my experience when Regent went all-inclusive for alcohol. I found the lounges on Rivieria either incredibly packed because there was a happy hour, or so empty you could shoot a canon through them

And Regent cruisers are not "well travelled"? They are definitely not the type to want hand-holding, although after a certain age, some want to be coddled a bit, granted, but that's true on both lines I think.

I must say that based on a single crossing on Riviera, and something like ten or so on Regent, I didn't connect that well with fellow pax on my O cruise. But that's an anecdotal data point. Looking forward to trying again--Regent is too rich for my blood these days.

Your post may be the best one I have ever read on the Oceania board. Thank you (and that is all I have to say!)

I for one would welcome included alcohol, above all else, not because I myself drink very much any more, but because it "oils the wheels" in the lounges, and makes everyone more friendly. .

I find that when people drink (a bit too much) they tend to become louder and louder and less inhibited.

Some call it friendly, others have a different name for it :D

I think it's when you can name the 3 letter code for any airport, and vice versa...which leaves me out as I'm only sure of MIA ;)

HMMM I can name a lot of them but certainly not well travelled :D

I find that when people drink (a bit too much) they tend to become louder and louder and less inhibited.

Some call it friendly, others have a different name for it :D

I agree with you

Then instead of just having people talking loudly for an hour or so at HH it would be all day long ;)

Wendy

For those of us that do not drink much or not at all I would not like them to include alcohol that is one reason we do not sail Regent

The perception of Regent by Oceania cruisers puzzles me. We found more drinking and loud passengers on Oceania during Happy Hour than any time on Regent. Regent passengers know that they can have a drink at any time -- any amount, etc. (many times I ask for a very weak drink -- just want a "social cocktail"). Perhaps this is why the lounges are not crowded but usually have a few people in them (not necessarily drinking alcohol - some drinking coffee or tea - others having a soft drink while knitting or talking to others. While I do not recall how this is handled on Oceania, once you are asked on Regent if you would like a drink, you are generally not asked again.

Not trying to say that Regent passengers are perfect....... I have seen the occasional person sitting at the bar after dinner and having a few drinks. It is just different than on Oceania when passengers are either drinking in their staterooms/suites/balconies or taking advantage of the half price drinks at Happy Hour. I assume that some passengers drink in their staterooms because they don't want to pay for a drink plus 18% tip in the restaurant during dinner. Do they drink more because they won't have the opportunity at dinner? I really don't know -- it is something that we do not think about.

Anyway, this is how I see it.

Correct. ...what else is there? :p

I agree that a persons perception of the trip is what counts for them. This whole deal about assigning a class to a cruise line seems to be getting played out as times change. Lines like NCL and Celebrity have parts of their ships that are very upscale while other parts are more main stream. Some feel a butler is the end all while others ask what to do with them. Some love small ships and equate this to a luxury ship while others might find them a little boring. Others say on a luxury ship the crew welcomes me, I was on the Breakaway and some crew knew me in cabin class, go figure. As for me, I have a hard time trying to figure out why Crystal is a "Luxury Line" while the experts rate Oceania a "Luxury Lite Line". I think these classifications are used to get more money for a product if you can get some expert to call it luxury and by some to throw a wet blanket over others fun.

We found more drinking and loud passengers on Oceania during Happy Hour than any time on Regent. Regent passengers know that they can have a drink at any time -- any amount, etc. (many times I ask for a very weak drink -- just want a "social cocktail"). Perhaps this is why the lounges are not crowded but usually have a few people in them (not necessarily drinking alcohol - some drinking coffee or tea - others having a soft drink while knitting or talking to others. While I do not recall how this is handled on Oceania, once you are asked on Regent if you would like a drink, you are generally not asked again.

Not trying to say that Regent passengers are perfect....... I have seen the occasional person sitting at the bar after dinner and having a few drinks. It is just different than on Oceania when passengers are either drinking in their staterooms/suites/balconies or taking advantage of the half price drinks at Happy Hour. I assume that some passengers drink in their staterooms because they don't want to pay for a drink plus 18% tip in the restaurant during dinner. Do they drink more because they won't have the opportunity at dinner? I really don't know -- it is something that we do not think about.

Wow... that is a horrifically sweeping generalization. :p

I really don't know -- it is something that we do not think about.

...would have been a much better, more succinct reply.

We encountered the occasional loud, sloppy drunk on our recent Navigator cruise....as well as one night, helping the crew pick up a fell-down, dead drunk man in the lounge.

There have been boisterous, well-oiled groups on the Riviera, too.

..so I think this behavior transcends the particular cruise line. :cool:

Look what Carnival is doing re: bottles of any kind!

http://www.frommers.com/community/blogs/passportable/_forget-bringing-own-water-carnival

Perhaps some people are like me; I like to come back to the cabin after a day's port visit, shower, and have a drink, in the blessed quiet of our room.

Price of drink and/or corkage fee has nothing to do with it. I just don't want to be with people all day and night.

If we already booked a 2016 Summer Europe sailing, does anyone know if Oceania is honoring the OLife Advantage promotion for a current booking?

I booked the day the new Summer 2016 schedule came out (in March) and thought I was getting the best deal. I'm waiting for my TA to confirm but curious if this has come up with anyone else.

Thanks!

Edited by JVNYC

Wow... that is a horrifically sweeping generalization. :p

Yes it was -- just as the characterization of Regent passengers as snobs that drink a lot is horrific. Sorry if it sounds like I'm snapping at you -- just frustrated! I was interested in this topic as I see it as a positive change for Oceania - not one that makes it more like Regent but a change that will be a draw to many new cruisers.

Don: I do not remember names or phone numbers but do remember quite a few airport codes (probably because I do all the research for our flights). The strangest one that I remember (because it has nothing whatsoever to do with the name of the city it is in) is "GIG". Nope - not going to tell you where it is -- just that it is my least favorite port in the world:D

The strangest one that I remember (because it has nothing whatsoever to do with the name of the city it is in) is "GIG". Nope - not going to tell you where it is -- just that it is my least favorite port in the world:D

FYI- this airport was originally called Galeao International airport (and is called that by many of the locals till today) - hence the initials GIG.

Besides, many other airport codes have little to do with the city's name - like YYZ. :)

Edited by Paulchili

FYI- this airport was originally called Galeao International airport (and is called that by many of the locals till today) - hence the initials GIG.

Besides, many other airport codes have little to do with the city's name - like YYZ. :)

Thanks for the info. about the airport. We live 50 miles from YVR (which makes more sense than YYZ). I like codes that have some similarity to the city or airport like LAX, SFO, MIA, etc.

Most if not all Canadian airport codes start with "Y"

Not sure on the why of it but that is how it is ;)

From the Airport Codes website (http://airportcod.es): "Formerly known as Galeão Air Force Base, Galeão International was created in 1941 on Governador Island’s Galeão Beach in Rio de Janeiro."

It's a fun website to browse. It even has a possible explanation for YYZ.

Predictable. Just checked the price of a cruise we were interested in. The new Olife has added 300 pp across the board. The perks are for balcony and above, but insides and oceanviews all cost 300pp more than they did before the Olife introduction and are getting nothing new.

For balcony and above one of the perks is 5 free tours. Many have consistently complained that O tours are very poor. Most therefore organize their own private tours. Now the inclination will be to take the free ones, since you really are paying for them with increased fees.

Just the usual scam. All lines are the same in this. Just go with the one you enjoy the most.

For balcony and above one of the perks is 5 free tours. Many have consistently complained that O tours are very poor. Most therefore organize their own private tours. Now the inclination will be to take the free ones, since you really are paying for them with increased fees.

We have taken O tours they are not that poor but many find you are poorer after booking them ;)

The prices for O tours has increased 2-3 times in prices compared to 5 yrs ago

If that is case with the new excursions deal I may just have to find a cruise line that works for us like O has done in the past :(

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

If we already booked a 2016 Summer Europe sailing, does anyone know if Oceania is honoring the OLife Advantage promotion for a current booking?

I booked the day the new Summer 2016 schedule came out (in March) and thought I was getting the best deal. I'm waiting for my TA to confirm but curious if this has come up with anyone else.

Thanks!

Hopefully we stay on topic. Your TA should be able to get you this. We received the FINAL SALE benefits ($500 OBC, Free grats and Unlimited internet) for our next O cruise even though we booked 6 months ago.

So "O Advantage" replaces "final sale" or does it replace the "Last Call Sales Event" :) Gotta Love the O Sales department. The are so creative :D