No where near me to apply for Passport?

Ahall2015

I think we did our first application at our county court house too--we're in a very rural area and most PO's nearby don't do them.

Walgreens is another good place to get passport photos taken. They are set up to do it.

I would check out https://www.epassportphoto.com/ for photos. I did this easily with the timer feature on my camera and was very happy with the results. I hated my last passport photo and was determined to get a better photo this time around! I took a bunch of photos and even changed shirts to make sure it was just right.

This service is also great for squirmy kids so you have multiple attempts at getting the right photo without having to keep paying Walgreens.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

I have to renew my passport soon and though I've had AAA for years, just today :o I learned I can get the photos done at their office. There is one nearby so easy.

OP...... when we initially got our passports, we did it all by mail. We didn't need appointments or go anywhere in person but to have the photos taken and every renewal was the same. Couldn't have been easier and you have way more than enough time.

Download the application, get your photos, submit the required style birth certificate, write a check, address an envelope and mail it.

I would love to be able to mail in for our passports as DH is a railroad worker and is only home on the weekends. Do you remember where you mailed in yours? Or perhaps its as simple as a google search lol. Also just curious. This would be our first passports, so how were you able to mail in the birth certificates that they require?

The US State Dept is the final word on passports for American citizens. The links were posted much earlier in the thread. SO many things have changed in the past 10 years we: passports, don't take our word for it. Go see what the State Dept says and DO THAT.

Where to apply: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/where-to-apply.html

Of note, YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON FOR A FIRST PASSPORT. Says so right on that page. 10, 20 years ago - things were different. But not now. I think this must be a first time, or the OP would have a better idea what to do.....

This page lets you enter your zip code and find the nearest Passport Acceptance Facility. Which might be a post office or a courthouse, but you CANNOT assume that any post office or any courthouse is going to accept your passport application.

http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

Don't listen to knowledgeable strangers on the internet. Go to the officials that actually provide your passport.

I would love to be able to mail in for our passports as DH is a railroad worker and is only home on the weekends. Do you remember where you mailed in yours? Or perhaps its as simple as a google search lol. Also just curious. This would be our first passports, so how were you able to mail in the birth certificates that they require?

Can he not get a passport photo taken at Walmart or Costco my gosh they are everywhere

If you start now you can get it back before the cruise

Edited by LHT28

I have to renew my passport soon and though I've had AAA for years, just today :o I learned I can get the photos done at their office. There is one nearby so easy.

OP...... when we initially got our passports, we did it all by mail. We didn't need appointments or go anywhere in person but to have the photos taken and every renewal was the same. Couldn't have been easier and you have way more than enough time.

Download the application, get your photos, submit the required style birth certificate, write a check, address an envelope and mail it.

That is fine for a renewal. But I was under the impression that this was OP's first passport. Is so those can no longer be done by mail. First passports now require personal appearance.

Edited by NMLady

This is definitely the way to go. No appointment needed at the courthouse - download forms from the online site, follow the instructions for filling out and go to the courthouse. We had a coupon for the pictures at CVS. We did this for my boys earlier this year - only 4 weeks to receive the passports.

Not all courthouses or county offices offer that service.

Edited by NMLady

It the original poster could come back and give some more specifics then the folks here on CC may be able to give accurate and reliable information

1. Are you looking to renew or is this a first time passport
  2. Do you have a valid certified birth certificate?
  3. What country are you looking to apply for?
  4. What country/countries are you a citizen of?
  5. What is your current location (country and if in the USA then zipcode)
  6. Do you need passport photos or have you already gotten these?

Thank you all for you responses.

I have contacted the offices in our area via the links you all provided. Thank you! They all have a 3 month wait time because we need to have a scheduled appointment. ( There are only 3 within an hour of our town). NO walk ins are allowed at any of the three facilities.

So now that is pushing me back to October and we sail in Jan. So I am going to go ahead and schedule an apt and hope that I can get the passport in time. I never imagined it would be this much of a struggle to receive one. I, like all of you thought I could just walk into any PO and fill the paperwork out. Not the case here unfortunately.

Ugh. Such is my luck :(

Where the heck in illinois do you live? Do you live anywhere near Bloomington/Normal? Our local post office does passport applications with walk ins. No appointments needed.

Also, when you submit a copy of your Birth Certificate, make sure it has an embossed seal on it.

Years ago when I applied for a Passport along with my Wife I submitted a copy of my birth certificate that I had for ever.

My Wife's passport came and I received a letter stating that my Birth Certificate could not be accepted. I had to contact the State that I was born in, not the one I lived in at the time, and request another copy.

Lucky we had started early and had the time to wait and wait and wait for the new Birth Certificate and then to apply a second time.

Bob

Embossed seal is not a requirement.

Just did a little investigation in the past posts for the user. This poster is taking a 4 day closed loop cruise from Tampa on Brilliance of the Seas. They are from Rockford, IL which is 90 miles outside of Chicago.

Assuming this poster is a US citizen then this poster is not required to have a passport. If they determine that for peace of mind that they should need one then the process is easy. The closest place to Rockford that takes walk in appointments (I even called to double check) is listed below. I have no idea where in Rockford you live, but it is 40 miles from downtown Rockford.

COUNTY CLERK SYCAMORE IL

110 E SYCAMORE STREET SYCAMORE, IL 60178

They are open 8:30 - 4:30 Monday to Friday

Something is a little fishy here...accroding to the passport website there are 364 locations in IL to do this.

I have been through IL many many many times and find it hard to believe the OP is that far away from anyplace to get this done. Between Chicago, St. Louis, Indy, Springfield or Memphis they should not be more than 2 hours drive from any larger city to get this done.

Something is a little fishy here...accroding to the passport website there are 364 locations in IL to do this.

I have been through IL many many many times and find it hard to believe the OP is that far away from anyplace to get this done. Between Chicago, St. Louis, Indy, Springfield or Memphis they should not be more than 2 hours drive from any larger city to get this done.

My assumption is that this is a very unsophisticated traveler and fairly inexperienced at web searches. If you see my post above I have provided the user with the exact location where they can handle this.

Just did a little investigation in the past posts for the user. This poster is taking a 4 day closed loop cruise from Tampa on Brilliance of the Seas. They are from Rockford, IL which is 90 miles outside of Chicago.

Assuming this poster is a US citizen then this poster is not required to have a passport. If they determine that for peace of mind that they should need one then the process is easy. The closest place to Rockford that takes walk in appointments (I even called to double check) is listed below. I have no idea where in Rockford you live, but it is 40 miles from downtown Rockford.

COUNTY CLERK SYCAMORE IL

My assumption is that this is a very unsophisticated traveler and fairly inexperienced at web searches. If you see my post above I have provided the user with the exact location where they can handle this.

Not only that but some think nothing of driving an hour or more for an appointment. For others five minutes is four minutes too far.

Edited by SadieN

I agree because I live in central Illinois and I can think of many cities near me that have post offices that offer this...

so you don't have a US Post Office nearby?! that seems odd. all but the smallest will process passport requests. a few even will do the pictures there on site.

I was starting to research this for my daughter's renewal (first time for an adult one so she's required to go in person) and not all post offices in our area are still processing requests (five years ago our local one did but now the closest one is ten miles away). So it's best to check with the post office website (I think you can find out there the closest one) and go from there. You may have to contact many and go a bit further if there's a wait. For a January one, you can ask if you need to get your expedited or not (some times of year seem to be faster -- there's peak time for applications).

For adult renewals, you can get the info on the government website on how to apply via mail.

I agree because I live in central Illinois and I can think of many cities near me that have post offices that offer this...

As stated previously, it appears that this is a very unsophisticated traveler and fairly inexperienced at web searches. If you see my post quoted below I have provided the user with the exact location where they can handle this.

COUNTY CLERK SYCAMORE IL

if OP is from Rockford .....

the Aurora post office takes walkins Mon thru Saturday 8:30 'til 3 pm . . .

It is less than 60 miles away

I grew up in that area . . . there are probably others but I just picked a decent sized town nearby for a check.

Not to mention that in Chicago, only 90 miles away, is an actual passport agency where you can apply in person .... and a BUNCH of other sites in the Chicago 'burbs . . .

(apt is needed for expedited service at a State Passport office, but not just to apply for 'regular' turnaround IME)

Something does not add up here . . .

p.s. the site also does photos on site according to the detail page from STATE.GOV

Edited by Capt_BJ

As stated previously, it appears that this is a very unsophisticated traveler and fairly inexperienced at web searches. If you see my post quoted below I have provided the user with the exact location where they can handle this.

:) Seeing this is OP's first passport, they likely are not very sophisticated or experienced travelers. We were once new to traveling, as well. One does hope the more one travels, the broader their knowledge.,

Forget knowing how to travel or even do web searches - on EVERY page of this thread, people have offered detailed instructions on what to do - based on official US govt websites.

If you can't get it done with this level of assistance, you're not going to get it done.....

if OP is from Rockford .....

the Aurora post office takes walkins Mon thru Saturday 8:30 'til 3 pm . . .

It is less than 60 miles away

I grew up in that area . . . there are probably others but I just picked a decent sized town nearby for a check.

Not to mention that in Chicago, only 90 miles away, is an actual passport agency where you can apply in person .... and a BUNCH of other sites in the Chicago 'burbs . . .

(apt is needed for expedited service at a State Passport office, but not just to apply for 'regular' turnaround IME)

Something does not add up here . . .

p.s. the site also does photos on site according to the detail page from STATE.GOV

YIKES!

Certainly didn't realize this post was going to bring up such strong feelings and speculation.

YES I do sort of live in Rockford, IL. I put that down always as my address as prob no one has heard of the tiny town I actually do live in about 20miles outside of Rockford.

That being besides the point. I DID do a google search of where to apply for a passport and there were NO county clerk offices listed. So obviously yes I must have searched incorrectly. We all DO make mistakes after all.

No need to assume something isn't "adding up". I have no reason or need to fabricate stories on here. I will gladly answer any and all questions you have.

Thank you to those that have left positive and helpful links, and suggestions. Actually this is the THIRD TIME that I have thanked you all for your responses in this thread.

Just an FYI: For the posters who responded with negative or speculative responses, this is probably why new posters like myself do not ask many questions as there are always those few who have to try to demean, question or just plain say unnecessary and derogatory comments. I would never do that to someone on here and am wondering why you all think its ok to do that to me? I understand you have been on here waaay longer than me. That in itself, should make you MORE willing to help, not less. IMO.

Hope you all have a great day & YES, I did actually see where I could go to the DeKalb County courthouse to get a passport which is STILL an hour away from me as I stated in my original post. As my husband is a railroad worker we would not be able to do this option as he is only home on Saturdays.

Either way, I will figure it out, and yes I also know that I do not need a passport for the cruise I am going on, but like many others I will be obtaining one. Do not want to be stuck in Mexico for some unknown reason without one! :)

Ahal,

I'm sorry your visit here seeking help has been unpleasant for you and hope you realize that is not always the case.

In an attempt to assist, may I suggest your DH may have to take a day off work to accomplish this passport issue. Of course, no one wants to do that willingly but if he has personal days, perhaps this might be a good use of one?

In any case, best wishes in working it out. It will be worth it in the end as the whole wide world opens up to you when you have a passport in hand.

Hello all. We are cruising in Jan 2016 & I am starting to get nervous thinking we won't have time to receive our passports. I have tried to find a place local to apply for one and there are NONE! Has anyone purchased one online? Is that even an option? Yes I know there is a passport thread but there are so many pages Im not sure looking through them all would even help me.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

I am sure that there is a Post Office somewhere near you

https://www.usps.com/international/passports.htm

or maybe an AAA office

http://www.fuzeqna.com/aaaarizona/ext/kb456-passport-documents--does-aaa-offer-assistance-with-passport-applications-and-renewals

DON

Ahal,

I'm sorry your visit here seeking help has been unpleasant for you and hope you realize that is not always the case.

In an attempt to assist, may I suggest your DH may have to take a day off work to accomplish this passport issue. Of course, no one wants to do that willingly but if he has personal days, perhaps this might be a good use of one?

In any case, best wishes in working it out. It will be worth it in the end as the whole wide world opens up to you when you have a passport in hand.

Thank you!!

My overall experience with this site has been great! I am always a little taken aback tho when someone posts a comment that could be taken in a demeaning or rude manner. It just surprises me I suppose as I was under the assumption we were al here to help one another. Cant for the life of me think why someone would question my post lol. Unless there are other things that have happened on this board that I am unaware of.

But all is good. Again thank you all so much!

Hope you all have a great day & YES, I did actually see where I could go to the DeKalb County courthouse to get a passport which is STILL an hour away from me as I stated in my original post. As my husband is a railroad worker we would not be able to do this option as he is only home on Saturdays.

I know zilch about RR workers BUT is it not possible for him to make an appointment wherever he is working? You could do all the legwork.... fill out the application, get his pictures done etc. Then all he has to do is go to the appointment in the town he is working. You can do a file giving detailed information. Basically a Out Of Town Passport Applications for Dummys.