Clothes Steamers, Power Bars and Extension Cords

Nikkibird

Power strips are restricted from being brought on board.

We've always brought a power bar. I guess, fortunate that we've not been busted? We leave them out in the open and our cabin steward has never indicated a problem. With the limited plug in option (1) at the 'desk' area, this is a must.

So, if our own power bar/strips are not allowed, can we request same from our cabin steward to stay onside? We're not rule-breakers and certainly do not want to do anything that would put any of us at risk but the lack of charging capabilities is sorely lacking, as many are aware.

We've always brought a power bar. I guess, fortunate that we've not been busted? We leave them out in the open and our cabin steward has never indicated a problem.

====This is not surprising. It isn't their job to enforce the rules, and they don't want to risk not getting a tip by causing trouble for you. Similarly, they don't report smokers

With the limited plug in option (1) at the 'desk' area, this is a must.

====Not sure what ship you are thinking of. On Celebrity, there are two American style plugs and one European style at the desk.

So, if our own power bar/strips are not allowed, can we request same from our cabin steward to stay onside? We're not rule-breakers and certainly do not want to do anything that would put any of us at risk but the lack of charging capabilities is sorely lacking, as many are aware.

=====The stewards don't have power strips. They can get extension cords for those who need them for CPAP machines, but that doesn't add any outlets to the three already provided. You'll just have to make do with serial charging.

I can understand why personal kettles aren't allowed, as many don't offer the safety features that Celebrity's own kettles have, but why their kettles are deemed safe in the Med but not the Caribbean is beyond me.

the vast majority of cruisers out of US ports are AMERICANS( and Canadian) we as a general rule DO NOT use kettles and wouldn't know what to do with one if we had access to one and thus likely would burn the ship down.

this is also the time period where they pull them for inspection and replacement if necessary.

I just read that now steamers have been banned. Has anyone recently got one through their luggage without being detected? Is there a certain kind that would be allowed? I am really picky with my clothing and disappointed they have now banned them! It seems ludicrous that one must run the shower for long periods to get the wrinkles out of their clothes! I know you can pay for pressing but that will add up on a two week cruise!

Also, what about power bars and extension cords!!! Not allowed either I read. :mad:

There's an easy way around this, especially for those of you (such as yourself) that don't really care about fire safety. Just pack a small, portable, charcoal grill, and a bag of charcoal. Once you have it lit, just put a few glasses of water (you'll find the glasses in your head (bathroom)) on the grill. Hang your clothes above the grill and the steam will get out any of the wrinkles. If you have a balcony cabin, you should probably do this on the balcony. If you have an inside cabin, be sure to disable the smoke detectors first so as to not alarm the other passengers or crew.

I just read that now steamers have been banned. Has anyone recently got one through their luggage without being detected? Is there a certain kind that would be allowed? I am really picky with my clothing and disappointed they have now banned them! It seems ludicrous that one must run the shower for long periods to get the wrinkles out of their clothes! I know you can pay for pressing but that will add up on a two week cruise!

Also, what about power bars and extension cords!!! Not allowed either I read. :mad:

Gosh are you so self-centered that you would endanger the lives of others for your own vanity? Trust me,no one gives a rat's behind about whether you are wrinkle-free or not.You have paid dearly for the cruise so suck it up and spend a few more bucks on using the ship's service. JMO

the vast majority of cruisers out of US ports are AMERICANS( and Canadian) we as a general rule DO NOT use kettles and wouldn't know what to do with one if we had access to one and thus likely would burn the ship down.

this is also the time period where they pull them for inspection and replacement if necessary.

What do you mean with this? A kettle is one of the most important things in my kitchen and office!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Most Canadians I have met are very smart and would easily work out how to use a kettle.

Not sure why 'Americans' was all capitalised but ' Canadians' wasn't ? perhaps to denote the Canadian superiority in World opinion ?

Excuse me but "us" Canadians have had electric kettles for decades unilke the Americans who haven't. It doesn't take an engineering degree to figure out how to plug a kettle into a socket.

• 3 weeks later...
There's an easy way around this, especially for those of you (such as yourself) that don't really care about fire safety. Just pack a small, portable, charcoal grill, and a bag of charcoal. Once you have it lit, just put a few glasses of water (you'll find the glasses in your head (bathroom)) on the grill. Hang your clothes above the grill and the steam will get out any of the wrinkles. If you have a balcony cabin, you should probably do this on the balcony. If you have an inside cabin, be sure to disable the smoke detectors first so as to not alarm the other passengers or crew.

Seriously!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to Cruise Critic but not to cruising. I am shocked to read some of the replies / posts from some people. Some of your replies are unnecessary and very distasteful. It makes me not want to be part of this Message Board.

I also have always taken my steamer, extension cord and power bar. I had no idea they were no longer allowed. In fact, I just received my cruise package/rules and under NOT ALLOWED, it lists Clothes Iron but does NOT say steamers, power bars or extension cords. I myself would have been sent to the Naughty Room!

I believe this is an information forum. If you cannot be nice and pleasant, why bother replying.

Not necessary. Just make your own version.

"The good news is you can make your own wrinkle releaser spray quickly and easily for very little cost. It’s simply a matter of adding a little bit of fabric softener to water. For every 1/3 cup of water you add 1 teaspoon of fabric softener. You can make as small or as large of a batch as you want. You don’t need expensive fabric softener either. A bottle of fabric softener from the dollar store performs just as well in this homemade wrinkle releaser spray as the pricier brands."

"TRAVEL SIZE HOMEMADE WRINKLE RELEASER SPRAY

You Will Need:

1/3 cup water

1 teaspoon fabric softener

Combine the items in a small spray bottle and swirl them together to mix. To use, spray on clothing and stretch and smooth to release the wrinkles."

Quoted from Homemade Wrinkle Release Spray

I've also found that a blend of water and rubbing alcohol works pretty well (dries faster, and has an added benefit of freshening up clothing a little).

If you do use fabric softener use sparingly, and be careful respraying clothes (e.g., you wear the same pants a few times) as the perfume can start to really add up. One can always add a little water to the spray bottle as you start using it to help dilute the mix (or you can even just add water once you get on board). Travel sized pump spray bottles are available at a grocery store for ~$1 and work great for this.

I am new to Cruise Critic but not to cruising. I am shocked to read some of the replies / posts from some people. Some of your replies are unnecessary and very distasteful. It makes me not want to be part of this Message Board.

I also have always taken my steamer, extension cord and power bar. I had no idea they were no longer allowed. In fact, I just received my cruise package/rules and under NOT ALLOWED, it lists Clothes Iron but does NOT say steamers, power bars or extension cords. I myself would have been sent to the Naughty Room!

I believe this is an information forum. If you cannot be nice and pleasant, why bother replying.

Those items have never been allowed on celebrity. Should you start a fire, you may find that you are liable for the full cost of repair to the ship. Think about that risk....and then feel free to violate the restrictions.

We usually bring a garment bag for formal clothing that could be wrinkle-prone. For small touch ups, I have successfully used my hair flat iron MANY times. I can put a crisp crease in my slacks, tidy my husband's collars, etc, with ease. For larger items, as soon as I get in my cabin I hang all my clothing that could be wrinkled, get them on hangars and hang them in the bathroom. Then I turn on a full hot shower and get it STEAMY in there, bring the items out and hang to dry. Voila! No problems. I know, some here will probably chew me out for wasting a hot shower. Celebrity can start providing a laundry room if they are tired of how I create steam to de-wrinkle my clothes! Works for me :D