2016 Mediterrean Cruise Cancelled

I object 2

The October 17, 2016 Royal Princess cruise was also cancelled but the ship is available for bookings starting October 27, 2016. So it was stated in an email we received in the last hour with the same $15pp OBC offer.

Don't spend it all in one place, Jeanne!!!

Rumor indicates this is a refresh drydock with some mods made for the soot issue. No mention of staircase or aft pool changes (I could possibly see the stairs in 14 days but not the structural and plumbing changes to add a pool...)
I'm guessing that it'll be a standard, routine maintenance dry dock plus they'll modify MUTS to help control the soot problem and add windbreaks for the Retreat pool. These are modifications done for the Regal. I don't think it's enough time to make any structural modification such as an aft pool but I could be wrong. My guess is that the mid-ship stairs won't be completed. After all, the Grand is the same and hasn't been completed in over 14 years. :) Edited by Pam in CA

I recall that the Royal was scheduled for dry dock Feb 8 to Feb 22nd which was cancelled and replaced with 2 7 day cruises. The cancellation was to give the dry dock time to the Coral which was to have received a bunch of new cabins and other stuff similar to the Island Princess. The Coral "upgrade" was also cancelled I believe. So if my information is correct, and I am pretty sure it is, the dry dock is actually late. I know that doesn't help anyone who is disappointed.

I recall that the Royal was scheduled for dry dock Feb 8 to Feb 22nd which was cancelled and replaced with 2 7 day cruises. The cancellation was to give the dry dock time to the Coral which was to have received a bunch of new cabins and other stuff similar to the Island Princess. The Coral "upgrade" was also cancelled I believe. So if my information is correct, and I am pretty sure it is, the dry dock is actually late. I know that doesn't help anyone who is disappointed.

I agree. Sure glad they canceled the Coral.

Glad they cancelled the Coral drydock but where is the ship going the last two weeks in January 2016. On the website there is nothing scheduled between the early January 10 day partial Panama and then January 30 6 day Caribbean.

I recall that the Royal was scheduled for dry dock Feb 8 to Feb 22nd which was cancelled and replaced with 2 7 day cruises.

You're right, and it was actually initially scheduled in January. Sometime between the announcement of the Caribbean itineraries and when they actually opened for booking, it was changed, and it's been changed at least once since then, too.

Thanks & maybe they'll also add Princess Theater side aisles like on the Regal.

When on the Royal in May we were told that when in dry dock they were going to add aisles near the walls in Princess theater. Now…. which dry dock will that be? I assume this means they are taking out seats to accomplish this.

Honestly, the $30 offer is the biggest insult. Better to offer nothing. That is so bad.

I'm waiting until this information is a bit more concrete and will decide what to do then. My biggest disappointment is that there was the most wonderful group of people on this cruise and the cruise was so diverse. Would have been wonderful.

Oh Ya......I get $30 OBC Woopie

I have never heard of a $30 OBC. Insulting. This cruise was in the computer when we were on New Zealand cruise March 19,2015. That's 562 days out. They didn't know it was going to dry dock? The future cruise consultant was as excited about the ship and it's itinerary as I was. At 511 days out , our travelling companions and we had our hotel and tours booked for this sailing. To say we are disappointed is an understatement. Someone at Princess really messed up and has angered seasoned cruisers who wanted this itinerary. The roll call was started Mar 23,2015- lots of interest!!! The new one starting in Rome isn't even remotely close to what people purchased. I wonder if this would have happened under Alan Buckelew's leadership ??? Looking at other cruise lines and hoping we can find something for Spain. I understand cancelling cruises for mechanical, weather, illness. But seriously , they didn't know they were going to do this when they posted a fantastic itinerary? Replacing it with the proposed one and expecting people to book is in my opinion wishful thinking. Princess has really disappointed me to say the least.

As of this morning, our affected cruise has not been cancelled by Princess, our FCCs have not been returned to our Captains Circle account nor has the $15pp OBC appeared in our Captains Circle account. I assume all of these things will happen simultaneously.

I am not upset over the $15pp, but I understand that, for us, the cruise was simply the first in a serious of cruises and it is not a big deal to leave home a few weeks later. Princess offered the October 27 cruise to us as a 10-night cruise (we had been booked on a logical booking, 20-night cruise) but we like to avoid cruises immediately post dry dock if possible, and it's certainly possible in this case.

While I can see that others, planning a one time Mediterranean cruise would be very disappointed, no one has booked air or (probably) hotel yet, and so there are no monetary losses resulting from this cancellation. Princess did this last year on our Caribbean Princess bookings, and we got just $15pp per cruise and those were cancelled much closer to the sailing date where booked passengers might have suffered monetary losses as a result.

I have never heard of a $30 OBC. Insulting. This cruise was in the computer when we were on New Zealand cruise March 19,2015. That's 562 days out. They didn't know it was going to dry dock? The future cruise consultant was as excited about the ship and it's itinerary as I was. At 511 days out , our travelling companions and we had our hotel and tours booked for this sailing. To say we are disappointed is an understatement. Someone at Princess really messed up and has angered seasoned cruisers who wanted this itinerary. The roll call was started Mar 23,2015- lots of interest!!! The new one starting in Rome isn't even remotely close to what people purchased. I wonder if this would have happened under Alan Buckelew's leadership ??? Looking at other cruise lines and hoping we can find something for Spain. I understand cancelling cruises for mechanical, weather, illness. But seriously , they didn't know they were going to do this when they posted a fantastic itinerary? Replacing it with the proposed one and expecting people to book is in my opinion wishful thinking. Princess has really disappointed me to say the least.

Amen!

As of this morning, our affected cruise has not been cancelled by Princess, our FCCs have not been returned to our Captains Circle account nor has the $15pp OBC appeared in our Captains Circle account. I assume all of these things will happen simultaneously.

I am not upset over the $15pp, but I understand that, for us, the cruise was simply the first in a serious of cruises and it is not a big deal to leave home a few weeks later. Princess offered the October 27 cruise to us as a 10-night cruise (we had been booked on a logical booking, 20-night cruise) but we like to avoid cruises immediately post dry dock if possible, and it's certainly possible in this case.

While I can see that others, planning a one time Mediterranean cruise would be very disappointed, no one has booked air or (probably) hotel yet, and so there are no monetary losses resulting from this cancellation. Princess did this last year on our Caribbean Princess bookings, and we got just $15pp per cruise and those were cancelled much closer to the sailing date where booked passengers might have suffered monetary losses as a result.

I hear you....our deal was 30 days in the Med and a transatlantic and that can't be done a few weeks later, nor do I want to go later. Oh well, it is what it is. We'll find a way. Just hate missing this itinerary and the group of friends.

I hear you....our deal was 30 days in the Med and a transatlantic and that can't be done a few weeks later, nor do I want to go later. Oh well, it is what it is. We'll find a way. Just hate missing this itinerary and the group of friends.

I certainly hope someone at Princess is monitoring this thread. Did anyone else get an email on June 24 for a liquor package for this now Cancelled cruise ? 2 weeks before they cancel ? Who's in charge ??

Glad they cancelled the Coral drydock but where is the ship going the last two weeks in January 2016. On the website there is nothing scheduled between the early January 10 day partial Panama and then January 30 6 day Caribbean.

I think the Coral is still going into drydock, but for normal drydock activities, not the major changes that were done to the Island.

We got notified that our 16-day Oct 1 2016 cruise from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale is cancelled. We had our favorite cabin booked and do not know where we stand; nor if we will be able to go on a replacement cruise.

They suggest that we book the 14-day Oct 8 Transatlantic in its place. Strangely enough, we cannot yet find this cruise on the Princess website.

I have a feeling that the Royal's entire late 2016 season is being changed.

On the plus side we are offered $15 each if we transfer to another booking.

If anyone finds out any info, please let us know.

Thank you,

Sad Steve

I don't know. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I assume the TA will commence upon completion of the drydock.

B

Forty+ years of extensive cruise experience has taught us to avoid cruises on ships right after (or before) drydock. If you have ever been on a cruise where they were still working to complete drydock tasks you would understand. If we knew that there were no major interior work being done in drydock this might change our mind, but otherwise it would be a no-go for us.

Hank

Forty+ years of extensive cruise experience has taught us to avoid cruises on ships right after (or before) drydock. If you have ever been on a cruise where they were still working to complete drydock tasks you would understand. If we knew that there were no major interior work being done in drydock this might change our mind, but otherwise it would be a no-go for us.

Hank

I actually agree with you. We took a post-drydock cruise on the Millennium several years ago. At the time, we said never again. I assume that will hold true this time, too.

B

After reading this thread I checked on the Med cruise on Royal that sails Sept 17, 2016 we had just decided yesterday to book that- we were waiting for the sip and sail promo..now it shows sold out in all catagories. :( Looks like that voyage may be cancelled too... So sad as the ship was already quite full. There will be a lot of disappointed people I am afraid.

We also received notice that the 10/1/16 transatlantic from Barcelona was cancelled. Only news we received was that new TA would leave on 10/8 from Rome. Anyone have definite information on that itinerary? I saw something about Florence, Toulon, Barcelona and Azores but can't find anything definite. Princess didn't know on Monday night other than it would leave from Rome.

Seriously $15 pp onboard credit for the inconvenience? With so many elite and platinums on transatlantic sailings that is an insult since we all have to now re-evaluate our plans for 2016.

Thanks!

Not only are we disappointed that the cruise is cancelled, but for long time, loyal Princess passengers, a $15 pp OBC is really a slap in the face. Really, our loyalty not worth more than that?!? Time to take my loyalty elsewhere.

I agree that the $15 is an insult and slap in the face....salt in the wound.

This itinerary was so nice..especially coupled with two previous cruises....perfect...and the best group of friends. I hope that tomorrow finds something that will work out to book for next year. Keep the $15 and give us back our itinerary.