Recent Ultimate Ship Tour?

jaxter1302

We just returned from 7-day AK Cruise on Grand Princess, Whittier to Vancouver. I booked the Ultimate Ship Tour for DH's birthday, which was conducted on our last sea day and the last day of the cruise. Based on posts from Princess Forum, I expected souvenirs from the tour such as bathrobes, photos and other small goodies.

The tour was good, but this was what we got for $150 per person:

- 3-hour tour to various off-limits areas of the ship

- Fruit juice in the kitchen portion of the tour

- 1 notepad each from the print shop with our names printed on it

- 4 photos and a generic 8.5 x 11 frame - which we had to hunt down on the morning of our departure - it WAS NOT delivered to our cabin as promised.

While the tour itself was good, this was an absolute disappointment for the amount of money spent. Has anyone done the UST recently and received the free goodies as mentioned by other posters? I'm in the process of writing a letter to Princess, but wanted to see if anyone out there has any insight to share.

This was our first cruise on Princess and although we have another booked in April 2016, we are considering changing to another line.

We just returned from 7-day AK Cruise on Grand Princess, Whittier to Vancouver. I booked the Ultimate Ship Tour for DH's birthday, which was conducted on our last sea day and the last day of the cruise. Based on posts from Princess Forum, I expected souvenirs from the tour such as bathrobes, photos and other small goodies.

- 4 photos and a generic 8.5 x 11 frame - which we had to hunt down on the morning of our departure - it WAS NOT delivered to our cabin as promised.

While the tour itself was good, this was an absolute disappointment for the amount of money spent. Has anyone done the UST recently and received the free goodies as mentioned by other posters? I'm in the process of writing a letter to Princess, but wanted to see if anyone out there has any insight to share.

This was our first cruise on Princess and although we have another booked in April 2016, we are considering changing to another line.

Wow that's too bad. :( I hope they did not cut it back.

I have no experienced insight but only chime in to add that while we are just about to embark on our 14-day Med cruise (on Saturday) and I WAS thinking of this tour, I had hoped it would be closer to a $50 charge. There's no way I'd pay much more than that; and it smacks of the cruise line being a little greedy (at least obvious enough that they've lost a potential tourer).

To Chunder Worthy:

I agree - it really is a lot of $ for the tour, but I had thought at least the souvenirs would give us something tangible for that cost. The only reason I did spend the money is that DH is HARD to buy for! :) He was also in the U.S. Navy, so the chance for him to see the engine control room and bridge seemed worth it at the time.

Yes, that is a bit pricey. I was thinking of treating my husband to a tour but was thinking more on the line of $100/pp. But, it is what it is. Where/when does one book this tour? Can it be done on line via Princess site or AFTER boarding the ship?

I have no experienced insight but only chime in to add that while we are just about to embark on our 14-day Med cruise (on Saturday) and I WAS thinking of this tour, I had hoped it would be closer to a $50 charge. There's no way I'd pay much more than that; and it smacks of the cruise line being a little greedy (at least obvious enough that they've lost a potential tourer).

Do go to the cooking demo (free), there is a quickie kitchen tour after. And the theater demo (forget what it is called, also free), they take you up on the stage and backstage and to the dressing room.

Both are listed in the Patter and while not as extensive as the UST, they are very interesting.

Yes, that is a bit pricey. I was thinking of treating my husband to a tour but was thinking more on the line of $100/pp. But, it is what it is. Where/when does one book this tour? Can it be done on line via Princess site or AFTER boarding the ship?

I signed up at Passenger Services - it's not advertised or listed anywhere as a pre-book item. Per other posts, I went to the desk on embarkation day worried that it would fill up. We didn't receive notice that we were "selected" until the day before the tour, with waivers to sign and time/location to meet for the tour. Our group consisted of 12 folks, I've heard groups of 17 have gone, but not sure what number is the cut-off.

Do go to the cooking demo (free), there is a quickie kitchen tour after. And the theater demo (forget what it is called, also free), they take you up on the stage and backstage and to the dressing room.

Both are listed in the Patter and while not as extensive as the UST, they are very interesting.

That does sound interesting. Thanks! And it's a shame re the UST, I mean, I'd LOVE to have that education so might just be cutting off my nose to spite my face. I just wish it were a better value. I can see where the extra swag would probably encourage others to pull the trigger. So I admit, I'm che-- frugal... :rolleyes:

They are supposed to give in addition a chef's jacket and a plush robe. On my tour they ran out of plush robes so they gave the waffle robe and a large sanctuary towel instead. This was years ago so maybe it changed. The gifts alone would cost close to $100. Without them the tour is too expensive.

Contact customerrelations@princesscruises.com and complain.

Edited by denmarks

DH and I did the UST on the Island Princess last Oct on a Panama Canal cruise. Signed up on the ship, only 8 people on the tour. I thought it was expensive but very interesting. We received all of the things the OP mentioned but had mimosas and chocolate dipped strawberries, received plush robes and Princess aprons as well. We probably won't do the tour again because of the cost but very glad we did it.

We did the tour the end of March on the Regal. We had drinks in the kitchen and champagne and chocolate dipped berries with the captain on the bridge. Later in our cabin we received several photos from our tour, aprons, picture frames, personalized note pads and plush robes. The tour was very informative, visiting several areas of the ship that you would never see.

Sorry your UST experience was not as much fun as mine on Emerald in late March this year. Sounds like you got gipped for $150!

Since the CC boards warned of a strict tour size limit, I signed up for the UST for $150 as soon as I boarded, and was not disappointed at all with the tour that was held on the last sea day morning from 8:15am-noon.

The back of house areas were very interesting to see, including the anchor storage, the engineering control center, and especially, the bridge. We met with the ship's doctor, the chief engineer, several performers, the entertainment production manager, the head chef, the ship's provisions manager, and the bridge officers. Best of all, the ten of us on the tour had the opportunity for a one-on-one discussion with the Captain who did not rush us at all and answered all our questions in detail.

Although we walked the ship from the top to almost the bottom, stern to bow, we were treated to a fruit punch in the kitchen and champagne with mixed chocolates/cookies in Adagio at the tour's end. Our tour goodies were delivered to our cabins in the late afternoon and included, several photos from our tour, a kitchen apron, a nice Princess picture frame, a personalized note pad, and best of all, the plush robe. Swag value well over the $150 cost of the tour. The worst thing about it was finding room in my luggage to stuff the new goodies into them, but I managed.

Although you shouldn't have to, I recommend you email Princess customer service to ask about them sending you some swag goodies to make up for the skimpy gifts you received with your tour. All they can say is "no".

I think something got crossed up there.

Less than a year ago we got 2 aprons, 2 robes, 4 photos, 4 frames, 2 notepads, flowers, a recipe and an engineering pamphlet in our cabin (that was for 2 people).

We did miss snacks with the Captain who said he was busy but personally I think we had a cooler time with the Jr. Officer who covered. (Still had snacks on the bridge)

This was on the Royal.

I sure hope this is not the wave of the future, because when we did it a couple of years ago on the CB on a TrnasAtlantic we got the notepad, photos with the dancers in costume, cocktails in the galley, Princess Chef's jacket, the heavy waffle robe, and hors de ourves on the Bridge with the Captain. The tour ran overtime so was close to 4 hours. You do go to Engineering but not the engine room. We thought it was the best thing we have done on any cruise on a Sea Day and everything was delivered to our room over the next few days.:D I really wonder why yours was so very different, ours was just like folks had said it would be.:confused:

I'm wondering if your robes, etc. were delivered to someone else's cabin and they decided to keep it for themselves...

Did you inquire at passenger services when you did not receive the expected goodies? What was their response?

I must have a different outlook. I am a real ship junkie. I am amazed at the incredible machine that has evolved in this business. I did the UST aboard the Ruby during our Med Cruise and it was amazing. I didn't even know about any giveaways when I booked it. IMHO it was worth every penny. I got to see some amazing places that you otherwise would never see.

When the extras came that was simply the frosting on the cake.

The memories I have from that experience are the real value, not a robe or a photo or two.

The tour is easily worth the price without any extras. Fact is only a limited group can go and if it was priced at $50, there would be a war over inclusion on the tour. Supply and Demand. Perceived Value. For some it is a Suite or nothing, for others an Inside cabin is the only sensible way to go.

Sometimes I am amazed at some of these threads.:confused:

But maybe that's just me. :cool:

Dixon

Edited by Matcodixon

On the Royal in January this is what was delivered to our cabin:

990106a%20118%2001.06.15%20UST%20notepads%20and%20other%20gifts%20DSC05837_zpsnbtp8r76.jpg

Inside the Princess bags were the fluffy bathrobes, the aprons, the photos and the photo frames.

Since you did not receive your bathrobes, I would contact Princess HQ and ask that they send them to you.

I'm wondering if your robes, etc. were delivered to someone else's cabin and they decided to keep it for themselves...

Did you inquire at passenger services when you did not receive the expected goodies? What was their response?

Since we were out of our cabin at 8 am for disembarkation on the day following the tour, and had been assured twice since the tour that items would be delivered to our cabin, we never had a chance to inquire about the other items. Photo gallery staff finally offered to walk to our stateroom to find the photos, and within 5 minutes of that our disembarkation group was called. Timing is everything, right? I will definitely send a note to their customer service address and request the gifts or a refund.

Thanks for all for your posts. There seems to be a consistency of gift items that we definitely did NOT receive! Cheers to all.

I must have a different outlook. I am a real ship junkie. I am amazed at the incredible machine that has evolved in this business. I did the UST aboard the Ruby during our Med Cruise and it was amazing. I didn't even know about any giveaways when I booked it. IMHO it was worth every penny. I got to see some amazing places that you otherwise would never see.

When the extras came that was simply the frosting on the cake.

The memories I have from that experience are the real value, not a robe or a photo or two.

The tour is easily worth the price without any extras. Fact is only a limited group can go and if it was priced at $50, there would be a war over inclusion on the tour. Supply and Demand. Perceived Value. For some it is a Suite or nothing, for others an Inside cabin is the only sensible way to go.

Sometimes I am amazed at some of these threads.:confused:

But maybe that's just me. :cool:

Dixon

The tour was in fact very good and I'm glad that we were able to do it. However, knowing that pretty much every other passenger who has done the tour in recent history received about $100 worth of goods that we did not receive is worth complaining about.

Our cruise experience with Princess overall was very good, and the quality of our many excursions (that we paid a small fortune for, by the way) was beyond our expectations. But this tour -- which was 100% under Princess' control -- was sub-standard. If I had paid $50 for the tour, I would have walked away happy. But given the expectation set by so many others on these message boards, I think we were right to be disappointed.