Carnival to Cuba..any chance for Princess?

PrincessLuver

It was just announced that Carnival gets US approval for cruises to Cuba starting in May 2016. They will be 7 days out of Miami.....anyone hear anything about Princess offering this itinerary?
To be clear, it's Carnival Corporation that received approval for their "fathom" brand, not Carnival Cruise Lines. fathom is the new brand where you pay an arm and a leg (something like $3,000/pp for seven days) to volunteer your time helping the disadvantaged. It's just a shame that Castro destroyed the country so that they need the help. I'm not convinced that money spent by tourists isn't going to go directly back to the dictatorship government.

To be clear, it's Carnival Corporation that received approval for their "fathom" brand, not Carnival Cruise Lines. fathom is the new brand where you pay an arm and a leg (something like $3,000/pp for seven days) to volunteer your time helping the disadvantaged. It's just a shame that Castro destroyed the country so that they need the help. I'm not convinced that money spent by tourists isn't going to go directly back to the dictatorship government.

I am sure it is going to a great market for whoever sails there.....I guess Princess should not sail to Saint Petersburg, Russia if they are going to remain PC.....

I am sure it is going to a great market for whoever sails there.....I guess Princess should not sail to Saint Petersburg, Russia if they are going to remain PC.....
That was my personal opinion. Being PC didn't cross my mind... I just have too many bad memories of what Castro did to his people, killing and imprisoning anyone who didn't agree with him. The regime hasn't really changed. Younger people probably don't remember or care. I'm sure you're right in that this will be a great market. It's just not one I am personally going to support.

That was my personal opinion. Being PC didn't cross my mind... I just have too many bad memories of what Castro did to his people, killing and imprisoning anyone who didn't agree with him. The regime hasn't really changed. Younger people probably don't remember or care. I'm sure you're right in that this will be a great market. It's just not one I am personally going to support.

If it wasn't for this thug, the Cuban revolution would not have happened. Seems his atrocities have been forgotten as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulgencio_Batista

Edited by Christine Frances

Really? Comparing Cuba to St Petersburg?

Cuba does not have the infrastructure and won't for some time to handle thousands of cruise ship passengers. They can barely feed there citizens.

No reliable transportation.

Yes eventually it will great opportunity for the cruise industry.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We've had several pro-Cuba vs. anti-Cuba threads on this board already, and people seem divided about travel there. The reality is that, several times in my life, I have traveled to dictatorships, and, while I can't say I was naïve about where my travel dollars were going, I felt, and still feel, that the personal interactions I had during those trips are, at a most basic level, what the world needs more of, not less. I guess I wasn't going to let politics stand in the way of that opportunity, and I hope to be among the first traveling to Cuba when US citizens can freely (not through Mexico or Canada or a charitable mission) go.

I see where MSC is going to homeport Opera in Havana beginning in December. European cruise lines are going to have an edge, at least for a while, in cruising to/from Cuba.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/MSC-to-sail-cruises-from-Cuba

Still no reliable food supply, hotels/restaurants/transportation.

Not interested in going back until all that is addressed.

Cuba does not have the infrastructure and won't for some time to handle thousands of cruise ship passengers. They can barely feed there citizens.

3 million Canadians go to Cuba each year plus double that from Europe. Thomson, Your Cuba Cruise http://yourcubacruise.com/ already go there and MSC announced it will be homeporting in Havana this winter. This is Cuba info for Canadians http://gocuba.ca/client/tips/show.php?tip_id=1 Info on transportation etc here.

Nobody is hungry in Cuba, they have good health care but they lack imported basic goods. Other islands in the Caribbean are in worse shape then they are.

I am guessing NCL, RCI, Carnival will be pressuring for access sooner than later.

It was just announced that Carnival gets US approval for cruises to Cuba starting in May 2016. They will be 7 days out of Miami.....anyone hear anything about Princess offering this itinerary?

CRnival Cruise lInes is not going to Cuba. Fathom cruise lines is is Cuba approves, which they have now yet.

Just like on the HAL board, I feel that since this is a product created specifically for Carnival Corp's new Fathom brand, I think it unlikely that another Carnival Corp brand would enter the market. While Fathom's DR cruises are voluntary aid (though you have to do it once on the ship), the humanitarian or cultural immersion, or people to people aspect of the cruise to Cuba is mandated by the Treasury Dept. You will have to spend 8 hours a day in these kind of volunteer activities before any touristy things like beaches and restaurants can happen.

Went to Havana and another port in 2001 on a British cruise ship.

We were in port all day until 2am the following morning, had a great day and

found the Cubans very friendly and welcoming.

Would not hesitate to go back.

I've been reading & watching specials on traveling to Cuba. I don't think the people are benefitting from tourism, either. NBC stated Cubans only earn $15-20/month. That is so sad. And, there's a 13% tax that is clearly not going to their people.

MSC Opera will be based out of Havana this December. I don't get it; I really don't.

Just because it's more accessible now, doesn't mean we should go there.

This is the #1 place I'd feel unsafe.

I've been reading & watching specials on traveling to Cuba. I don't think the people are benefitting from tourism, either. NBC stated Cubans only earn $15-20/month. That is so sad. And, there's a 13% tax that is clearly not going to their people.

MSC Opera will be based out of Havana this December. I don't get it; I really don't.

Of course they are not. The money goes straight to the Gov't. :(

I'm younger. But, born & raised in Florida. I grew up knowing what was going on in Cuba on a daily basis. I don't fully trust any government, but have absolutely zero trust in Cuba's government. Only fear of.

This is a good article http://bestcubaguide.com/cuba-poor-country-salary/

I'm younger. But, born & raised in Florida. I grew up knowing what was going on in Cuba on a daily basis. I don't fully trust any government, but have absolutely zero trust in Cuba's government. Only fear of.

I agree, people traveling there and spending money are subsidizing the Cuban Gov't. What a shame. :(

According to reports there are 6 passenger ships that are seeking permission to travel to Cuba. They have not said if they are cruise ships, yatchs, or other single persons ships.

Yes Carnival Corp has announced they are gearing their new ship MS Adionia I believe is its name. No others have been named at this time.

According to reports there are 6 passenger ships that are seeking permission to travel to Cuba. They have not said if they are cruise ships, yatchs, or other single persons ships.

Yes Carnival Corp has announced they are gearing their new ship MS Adionia I believe is its name. No others have been named at this time.

I believe you are mistaking the ferries that are or have received licenses to carry people to Cuba, not passenger vessels. Even the "Cuba Cruise" ship Celestyal Crystal can take US passengers to Cuba, embarking in Jamaica, but they have to take a full day "cultural tour" before they are allowed time off to do what cruise passengers want to do.

My point was that Princess sails to many other communist countries but that seems to be acceptable to people on the Princess boards....I see Cuba as no different then Viet Nam, Russia, or China, for example, as far as the politics go....my only question was do people think that Princess will sail there.....not whether it is personally politically acceptable or not....:confused:

As it said in USAToday

The venture also could help position Carnival Corp. for the day when the U.S. embargo of Cuba is lifted and the company's mass-market brands such as Carnival and Princess can begin offering traditional-style cruises to the island.

"We think this experience as a standalone (business venture) is warranted unto itself, but clearly ... it will give us a much more intimate understanding (of operating in Cuba) to prepare ultimately for whenever the embargo is lifted," Donald says.

Not new at all.

This is the former R ship that Princess called the Regal Princess until it was transferred to P&O.

My point was that Princess sails to many other communist countries but that seems to be acceptable to people on the Princess boards....I see Cuba as no different then Viet Nam, Russia, or China, for example, as far as the politics go....my only question was do people think that Princess will sail there.....not whether it is personally politically acceptable or not....:confused:

My comment was not meant to be political, but lo and behold many turn it into there own agenda to spout political garbage.

All I am saying is they are not equipped to handle it. IMO

Everyone will sail there eventually. I don't believe Princess will sail there for quite some time.

We've had several pro-Cuba vs. anti-Cuba threads on this board already, and people seem divided about travel there. The reality is that, several times in my life, I have traveled to dictatorships, and, while I can't say I was naïve about where my travel dollars were going, I felt, and still feel, that the personal interactions I had during those trips are, at a most basic level, what the world needs more of, not less. I guess I wasn't going to let politics stand in the way of that opportunity, and I hope to be among the first traveling to Cuba when US citizens can freely (not through Mexico or Canada or a charitable mission) go.

LIKE.

As noted, this has been debated, and in those debates, it has been shown that life and conditions in Cuba are far above and beyond the economic and social conditions of many other places that Princess calls upon. A port stop in Cuba would by no means be a stop in the most depressed, repressed, unsafe port on Princess' roster. U.S.citizens seem to forget or ignore that the rest of the world has been traveling to Cuba for a very long time. Can't remember the last time I read or heard about an incident the likes of what happened in Tunisia last year. Or Mexico annually. Perhaps our increased presence will actually make things better. Just maybe.