Warning to same day flyers

Granny DI

My suggestion is always to check your connection times as well. Having a shorter trip might sound great,but the short connections leave no room for even small flight delays. I'd rather spend 2 hours strolling through an airport or sitting in the club room (if you have access) than missing a flight. My husband is a sports fanatic so he doesn't mind an hour or so at a sports bar having a quick lunch and watching the TV - he'd be happy watching, racing, golf, football, basketball and even woman's sports. I don't mind sports but often sit there reading cruise critic on my IPad.

Yesterday (Saturday) was a slow travel day and good weather, yet flights in the mid-Atlantic states, radiating from DCA were severely disrupted mid morning onward, affecting all flights up & down the East Coast & other high attitude flights in the air space. FAA computer glitches that wrecked plans. Just another examples, play the odds if feeling lucky after checked in.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

While my wife flies occasionally for work I haven't flown in years. I think the last time I flew was maybe 10 years ago and the arrangements were handled by my employer. I'm wondering if I should book my flight to Fairbanks on my own, have my TA handle it, or go through Princess Air. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

While my wife flies occasionally for work I haven't flown in years. I think the last time I flew was maybe 10 years ago and the arrangements were handled by my employer. I'm wondering if I should book my flight to Fairbanks on my own, have my TA handle it, or go through Princess Air. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Regarding those options:

1) Today, it is relatively simple to book flights for yourself. I would highly recommend that you chat over your plans with us here at Cruise Air, and we can give you suggestions and recommendations on how to proceed and what your various options may be like.

2) Unless your travel agent is adept at air reservations (which most cruise-focused agents aren't), you can likely do just as well yourself without any additional fees that they may charge.

3) Before buying cruiseline air, I highly recommend that you read the sticky at the top of this forum so you can get a feel for just what you are buying with cruiseline provided air. Hint: It is NOT the same as what you would buy yourself.

Especially with Fairbanks, fly in as early as you can. Cruise tours , see very little of Fairbanks, and it's a greatly superior area, with a rental car. At LEAST go one, if not two days early. http://www.explorefairbanks.com

I read the post to perhaps mean- that the airline is not going to bump any people off a full flight? (which is true for revenue passengers) Absolutely there are "ranks" for status with standby lists.

I have had someone pulled off a full flight and taken their seat as a standby passenger. I was one of the 1%er's on that carrier and needed to be someplace the next morning or I could kiss a $3M deal goodbye. My original flight was cancelled that morning, as were the next two. The next one after that was sold out to begin with. This was my last chance to get to the city I needed to be in, and yes, I "pulled rank." The guy they yanked off was none to happy, but I did get to where I needed to go.

By the way, it wasn't done through the gate agent but through the "1%er phone line" who then called the gate agent and told her to remove someone and give me a boarding pass.

This is sad on many different levels. Just so self centered.
Are you referring to ducklite's experience?

That's probably an example of an airline that correctly recognises that some of its passengers are more important than others. Every airline has them.

I have had someone pulled off a full flight and taken their seat as a standby passenger. I was one of the 1%er's on that carrier and needed to be someplace the next morning or I could kiss a $3M deal goodbye. My original flight was cancelled that morning, as were the next two. The next one after that was sold out to begin with. This was my last chance to get to the city I needed to be in, and yes, I "pulled rank." The guy they yanked off was none to happy, but I did get to where I needed to go.

By the way, it wasn't done through the gate agent but through the "1%er phone line" who then called the gate agent and told her to remove someone and give me a boarding pass.

You also don't know anything about the bumped passenger. :)

I experienced something very disconcerting on an AA flight from DFW to CLT. Seems a guy with a ticket for a middle seat in the last row decided he was entitled to a first class seat. He sat in the first class seat until the rightful owner boarded right before the door closed. He was told to take the seat on his ticket. He refused said he was not going to sit in the middle seat or window seat. He wanted first class or aisle. I kept waiting for the police to arrive to remove this thug. The operations officer boarded the plane and told him to take his seat. He refused so,AA said we couldn't take off. Thug said fine. I want first class or an aisle. The guy sitting in front of me gave up his aisle seat to prevent an incident. The thug says I do this on every flight. AA should have removed this thug and black listed him. I have been flying for over 40 years and never experienced anything like this. I hold AA responsible. I'm sure the thug is flying first class as I write this. He's scamming the airlines.

I experienced something very disconcerting on an AA flight from DFW to CLT. Seems a guy with a ticket for a middle seat in the last row decided he was entitled to a first class seat. He sat in the first class seat until the rightful owner boarded right before the door closed. He was told to take the seat on his ticket. He refused said he was not going to sit in the middle seat or window seat. He wanted first class or aisle. I kept waiting for the police to arrive to remove this thug. The operations officer boarded the plane and told him to take his seat. He refused so,AA said we couldn't take off. Thug said fine. I want first class or an aisle. The guy sitting in front of me gave up his aisle seat to prevent an incident. The thug says I do this on every flight. AA should have removed this thug and black listed him. I have been flying for over 40 years and never experienced anything like this. I hold AA responsible. I'm sure the thug is flying first class as I write this. He's scamming the airlines.

I don't know Ducklite and do not always agree with her postings BUT in this case she was right. She flies a lot and was entitled to the perk they offered her. Just like all of you that use miles to upgrade. Just like cruisers who get perks from the cruise line. Do you give them to first time cruisers without knowing the person? I think not. I could go on and on about examples but the bottom line is she EARNED that privilege. Period.

As far as the jerk above, I would have reported him the moment our flight hit the ground. Two thumbs down to the crew for not removing him immediately. Now that is self centered.

We are booked on the Regal Princess out of FLL in February. I am nervous and have been going back and forth regarding flight times. I am not a frequent coast to coast traveler and will be coming from Seattle. Reading the posts, I will for sure fly in the day before. Any recommendations regarding which connections to avoid or choose? Should we try for the Southern route through AZ or TX? Direct flight is not an option. Maybe we should fly in two days earlier and enjoy Fort Lauderdale?

If you've not already purchased, did you check flying on Alaska? I thought they had a SEA to either MIA or FLL that was non-stop.

Thanks to all the kind and thoughtful and helpful responses.

We ended up booking a flight from Seattle to Austin, TX on Friday late afternoon, staying the night and then Austin to Fort Lauderdale on Saturday morning. We booked on Southwest and got three of the four legs free with our points, plus we get to have dinner with friends in Austin. Thanks again...I really value the opinions of those on cruise critic.

U have GOT to get a "miles card" of some kind! I've always booked my cruises a disabled done my online shopping with my Discover card that I got a bazillion years ago because it was (at that time) the only card Costco would accept. I do get cash back on it but I intend to retire the end of 2016 (FINALLY!!!) and will likely be doing cruises that entail more flights. I started looking at cards but I don't really want an annual fee or foreign transaction fees and would really prefer a "chip and pin" card. So far it looks as if I am asking for too much.

If I ever find a are that works for me and goes me good "miles" I will probably start using it for groceries, online purchases, hotels, etc. and just pay it off every month so I can accumulate "miles".

U have GOT to get a "miles card" of some kind! I've always booked my cruises a disabled done my online shopping with my Discover card that I got a bazillion years ago because it was (at that time) the only card Costco would accept. I do get cash back on it but I intend to retire the end of 2016 (FINALLY!!!) and will likely be doing cruises that entail more flights. I started looking at cards but I don't really want an annual fee or foreign transaction fees and would really prefer a "chip and pin" card. So far it looks as if I am asking for too much.

If I ever find a are that works for me and goes me good "miles" I will probably start using it for groceries, online purchases, hotels, etc. and just pay it off every month so I can accumulate "miles".

We really like the United Mileage Plus card. It has no foreign transaction fees, and it has a chip, but it does have an annual fee. However, with the first bag free and passes to the United Lounge we don't mind the fee. We each have a card, and we each got a bonus of 10k miles for adding the other as an authorized user. So far we've gotten free one way coach tickets for each of us to Copenhagen and twice to London. Since we often take ta's a one way ticket is all we need. We charge everything we buy eve of it's just a bottle of milk so the miles pile up pretty fast.

They should have brought the cops and had him arrested. That is such completely unacceptable behavior.

Are you referring to ducklite's experience?

That's probably an example of an airline that correctly recognises that some of its passengers are more important than others. Every airline has them.

Exactly. I could probably do it regularly, but don't. I had no choice. If I had missed the meeting the next morning, we would not have had the opportunity it's to win a contract that not only kept 20 people employed, but also allowed the company to creat half a dozen new jobs. I am not sure what is self-centered about that. Had I been headed home in a Friday night I would have just gotten a room and taken a flight the next morning. Big difference.

U have GOT to get a "miles card" of some kind!

Mind boggling typo in my previous post. I don't know how I ended up with "U" but I meant to say that "I" have got to bet a miles card. D'Oh!

There are strict federal regulations on duty hours for flight crew, both in the cockpit and in the cabin. Too many hours and you can't work. There are also minimum staffing numbers in the cabin (1 FA for every 50 seats or fraction thereof). So it doesn't matter about the weather outside; if there aren't the right number of qualified bodies, the flight doesn't go. Period.

To add to FlyerTalker's explanation, a delay due to staffing still could be weather related. If there was bad weather the day before, a crew might have had to work more than their scheduled number of hours, and due to mandatory crew rest requirements, their flight the next day could be delayed or possibly (probably less likely but you never know) canceled.

This has happened to us a few times especially with a first flight in the am. The flight crew got stranded in the city they were coming from the night before and had to get to us later. One time we had to wait for a new crew to be called up due to the fed regs.

They should have brought the cops and had him arrested. That is such completely unacceptable behavior.
I'm guessing the guy in the aisle who swapped with the thug had a connection to make (or maybe a cruise) and didn't want a delay. But yeah, time in jail and being banned from AA would have been good. Confiscate any miles too. Edited by CantanaLobo