All Inclusive drink packages-Golden Princess

Have the Australian Princess ships ever quoted prices then added grats? Certainly on Sun last Christmas all the prices - drinks, excursions, speciality restauranst, were all price as quoted.

I wouldn't know about Princess Australia as I have only been on P&O where they have had AUD on board. The standard for Australia should be all fees and taxes are supposed to be included in the price avertised.

Have the Australian Princess ships ever quoted prices then added grats? Certainly on Sun last Christmas all the prices - drinks, excursions, speciality restauranst, were all price as quoted.

With the Princess Australia ship its built in I believe.

I wouldn't know about Princess Australia as I have only been on P&O where they have had AUD on board. The standard for Australia should be all fees and taxes are supposed to be included in the price avertised.

Exactly! It appears that the people at Princess' Australian call centre don't know that judging by some of the previous posts.

Anyway if no-one else confirms it earlier I will let you know 20th August. :D

So doing some math, if beers go for $8 you would need to drink more than 7 beers each day to come out ahead with the $59/day package.

If Beers are $6, then you'd come out ahead with more than 10 or more beers a day.

Edited by jasmith52

I just called Princess, thought I had got put through to the US as she had an American accent! Apparently there are a few US staff that work in the Sydney office.

She checked and double checked, said it is plus 15% gratuity.

Not sure we will buy it as our next Princess cruise we can bring on wine, soft drink/water plus have a free mini bar setup and $560 OBC:)

but I think they should mention the gratuity in their advertising.

$8.85 more a day x 2 x 15 days = $265.50 more when working out whether the package will be viable for us.

Has anyone else called Princess and asked if that price is plus gratuity?

I know a poster above said that Princess had told them it was.

If anyone else calls, let us know:)

Chez

So doing some math, if beers go for $8 you would need to drink more than 7 beers each day to come out ahead with the $59/day package.

If Beers are $6, then you'd come out ahead with more than 10 or more beers a day.

true but then a few coffees and waters will help and then you only need 5-8 beers.:D

I just called Princess, thought I had got put through to the US as she had an American accent! Apparently there are a few US staff that work in the Sydney office.

She checked and double checked, said it is plus 15% gratuity.

Not sure we will buy it as our next Princess cruise we can bring on wine, soft drink/water plus have a free mini bar setup and $560 OBC:)

but I think they should mention the gratuity in their advertising.

$8.85 more a day x 2 x 15 days = $265.50 more when working out whether the package will be viable for us.

Has anyone else called Princess and asked if that price is plus gratuity?

I know a poster above said that Princess had told them it was.

If anyone else calls, let us know:)

Chez

Conflicting advice from staff is not unusual but they should be clarifying this, perhaps wait until you are on board and checking it out before purchasing the package would be the best course of action.:D

Conflicting advice from staff is not unusual but they should be clarifying this, perhaps wait until you are on board and checking it out before purchasing the package would be the best course of action.:D

At the moment you can only buy it onboard.

If they do add on a 15% gratuity without showing it clearly in the fine print they will be contravening Australian law I think. Also Australians do not expect tips to be extra on anything on those ships so I suspect there will/would be some very angry passengers if they do add 15% to the quoted price.

On Rhapsody the prices they had on their drinks package flyers onboard included the gratuities. I checked and double checked that before I bought them.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We might have to wait a while to find out. I just checked the Who's Cruising When thread and ozziepost is sailing on Dawn Princess on July 25th, and the next listing is our cruise on August 20th. However there may be others who hasn't posted on that thread.

I might put a post on a couple of the roll calls to see if we can get some up-to-date info.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

We might have to wait a while to find out. I just checked the Who's Cruising When thread and ozziepost is sailing on Dawn Princess on July 25th, and the next listing is our cruise on August 20th. However there may be others who hasn't posted on that thread.

I might put a post on a couple of the roll calls to see if we can get some up-to-date info.

You can wait until you are on board or would you cancel the cruise if the grats are not included in the drink price.

You can wait until you are on board or would you cancel the cruise if the grats are not included in the drink price.

We weren't expecting packages anyway, and were more than happy with the individual drinks prices on our Sun Princess cruise so it's actually not a big deal for me. DH would like the package because it's easier but I'm in charge of the budget. :D

However I could be tempted to get a bit stroppy, just on principle you understand, if I find they are adding 15% to the quoted price. ;) :D

And if they do add the 15% we certainly won't be getting the packages as the Princess wines by the glass are rather boring and don't include many of the wines we like.

We're also heading out on Princess but not till the month after you OzkiwiJJ so I will be eagerly awaiting your onboard experience in regards to the 15%.

I agree with with your comment. I think it would be contravening ACCC regulations in regards to displaying pricing:

Prices displayed by a business must be clear, accurate and not misleading to consumers. You should always display the total price of a product or service.

Honest advertising practices are not just good for business – they are required by law.

It is illegal for a business to make statements that are incorrect or likely to create a false impression. This includes advertisements or statements in any media (print, radio, television, social media and online) or on product packaging, and any statement made by a person representing your business.

For example, your business must not make false or misleading claims about the quality, value, price, age or benefits of goods or services, or any associated guarantee or warranty. Using false testimonials or ‘passing off’ (impersonating another business) is also illegal.

When assessing whether conduct is likely to mislead or deceive, consider whether the overall impression created by the conduct is false or inaccurate.

FWIW I am very much hoping its a res error information rather that a Princess advertising error. I would be surprised if Princess would make such a big error its not like they are a new player to the Aussie market.I love the addition of the package as it means we dont have to lug bottles of water and wine bottles aboard (was planning to pay the $15 and bring some nice bottles). Fingers crossed its $59 as the extra 15% will make it not worthwhile on our projected consumption. I have also printed the flyer to take with us.

I promise I'll post as soon as I get settled onboard. Just over a month to go! :D

I'm hoping the price will be $59 too otherwise we won't be getting the packages unless they've also revamped their wine list to include more premium wines by the glass.

I promise I'll post as soon as I get settled onboard. Just over a month to go! :D

I'm hoping the price will be $59 too otherwise we won't be getting the packages unless they've also revamped their wine list to include more premium wines by the glass.

Brilliant thanks so much!

You must be on an excited countdown with only a month to go. I am already super excited & we're not going till the end of Sept LOL

Brilliant thanks so much!

You must be on an excited countdown with only a month to go. I am already super excited & we're not going till the end of Sept LOL

Yes, I'm really looking forward to it, especially after the cold snap we're having here in Sydney. Can't wait until we get to warmer climes to thaw out.

I am getting a little closer to solving the mystery of the drinks package price.

It appears that Princess' Australian customer support team may NOT be up-to-date with the new Aussie package. I saw a post elsewhere showing what customer support had sent to that poster after they enquired about the package - it was the American drinks package info. It had no mention of Australia or our ships but did mention Royal and Regal. And, of course, mentioned the extra 15% gratuity that is obligatory on the US currency ships.

So it appears that the Australian customer support people do not understand how the pricing works in Australia and are confusing themselves, and everyone else, by applying American rules to Australian prices. :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Oh well, at least its keeping me amused until I can board Dawn next month. :D

I am getting a little closer to solving the mystery of the drinks package price.

It appears that Princess' Australian customer support team may NOT be up-to-date with the new Aussie package. I saw a post elsewhere showing what customer support had sent to that poster after they enquired about the package - it was the American drinks package info. It had no mention of Australia or our ships but did mention Royal and Regal. And, of course, mentioned the extra 15% gratuity that is obligatory on the US currency ships.

So it appears that the Australian customer support people do not understand how the pricing works in Australia and are confusing themselves, and everyone else, by applying American rules to Australian prices. :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

I am hoping your theory is correct!

Have you called Princess yourself and asked?

Be interested to see what they tell you.

Chez

Tell me about it.;)

Canberra is usually a tad chilly i winter LOL!! I feel like we have your weather further north at the moment brrrr I keep having to crank up the heater.

Time flies when you are having fun? hehe

It would cost Princess some serious money if they advertised excluding tax that's just flat out illegal here. Plus can you imagine the confusion onboard if they tried to add gratuity to one product on the ship but no others. Now that would be amusing to see the fall out and confusion :D

Edited by to_dee

Yeah, keep investigating and by the time you sail, you wil know exactly where they #@$&%$ up.

I am hoping your theory is correct!

Have you called Princess yourself and asked?

Be interested to see what they tell you.

Chez

If I get time I might. When I'm in the mood to do a little stirring ;)

Then again, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle if they have no clues and are only giving wrong information.