Best Place to fly to for Australian and New Zealand Cruise

My wife is not a great flyer due to knee issues but we would like to visit Australia (Sydney and Melbourne) and possibly also New Zealand. Where is the best place to pick up a cruise with the shortest flying time from the UK?

Ideally a plane journey of less than 9 hours would be required.

Thanks.

Edited by whoops

Well, as a flight to anywhere in Australia is no less than about 22 hours, that is out.

My first thought is Dubai or similar. But routes from there to Australia are few. And generally longer (20+ days). Does that fit in your schedule and budget? Of course your return flight might be very long...

The other option is to break up your flights. London to Dubai, spend a day or two. Continue on to Perth or Sydney. Takes some time to figure out the routing, and might end up costing a fair amount more, but it might be what you need.

Or, spring for Business Class. More room, easier to get up and walk around, breaking up the flight.

What time of year do you have in mind?

If I am reading your post correctly it sounds like you would like to cruise to Australia?

As an example there are various world cruises that leave Southampton in January - think Cunard and P&O and I think all of these call at Sydney. If that proposition is too long, you can pick up some of the ships on the US West Coast before they head to Australia.

Later in the year, say September/October, a number of ships head this way from the US West Coast for their Australian season so this is an option.

In September 2016 Emerald Princess is sailing from Southampton to Sydney via Dubai so perhaps you could fly to Dubai and pick her up there.

The Australian based Princess ships also do longer cruises that have various segments that encompass US ports so you could pick up one of these.

Depending on the time of year there are also cruises that depart Hong Kong or Singapore and cruise to Australia (and vice versa) so there are options but it is hard to avoid a long flight unless you do a World Cruise. Even if you cruise most of the way in one direction you still have to face flights going in the opposite direction. :eek:

The above is just a vague guide but if you provide a bit more specific information such as time of year and the preferred duration of your trip and whether you wish to cruise to or from Australia, then I'm sure there will be plenty of people who will have suggestions for you.

Another option would be to fly to Singapore or Hong Kong and join one of the ships heading down to Au for the cruising season. You could then stay on board and do a Au/NZ cruise. For flying home ,a popular route is due north to Shanghai or Tokyo have a stopover and then across to London. Doing it this way you keep in the same or similar time zone for the first leg and then its a shorter leg over to London.

My wife is not a great flyer due to knee issues but we would like to visit Australia (Sydney and Melbourne) and possibly also New Zealand. Where is the best place to pick up a cruise with the shortest flying time from the UK?

Ideally a plane journey of less than 9 hours would be required.

Thanks.

Hi

Sometimes there can be long treks around airports that can be an issue, frankly if you want to come to Australia and see Melboune and Sydney and then join a cruise ex Sydney you would be advised to fly into Melbourne.

you can do your first part of the trip and then if you wish fly to Sydney which takes about 90mins from Melbourne

Emirates is my best choice London to Dubai and then direct non stop to Melbourne . its a long haul as is any trip from the UK but we have found this to be the best of the bunch if you fly economy...

Melbourne is a nice city and a great place to get over the jet lag :D

PS I prefer to fly on their A380 service the airbus is very comfortable

Best regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

Another way to break up the fight from the UK is to go via Singapore and stay a night in the 'hotel' in the airport. This is on the floor above some of the departure lounges. The rooms are like a modern motel room, but don't have windows. We spent a night there about 3-4 years ago and the cost for three adults was AUD$75. The minimum stay is 6 hours, but I think we were there for 7 or 8. We booked ahead for this and I have been told that booking is essential. :)

Thanks very much for the replies. There's a lot to think about. I have been told the best time to visit Australia is in the month of November. Is that right? I had thought about trying to join a 14 day cruise to Australia and New Zealand in late October and then spend a couple of weeks in Australia after that.

Dubai is a 10 hour flight from the UK meaning the second leg is even longer. Singapore is around 13 hours from the UK but possibly too long.

The solution seems to be to get a Business Class flight costing around £3500 each to Singapore, rest for a couple of days and take it from there doing the same on the return journey.

Thanks again. Will give this option more thought.

Edited by whoops

Thanks very much for the replies. There's a lot to think about. I have been told the best time to visit Australia is in the month of November. Is that right? I had thought about trying to join a 14 day cruise to Australia and New Zealand in late October and then spend a couple of weeks in Australia after that.

Dubai is a 10 hour flight from the UK meaning the second leg is even longer. Singapore is around 13 hours from the UK but possibly too long.

The solution seems to be to get a Business Class flight costing around £3500 each to Singapore, rest for a couple of days and take it from there doing the same on the return journey.

Thanks again. Will give this option more thought.

Personally I would not say that November is the best month to visit either Sydney or Melbourne (assuming you are referring to the weather):D. Having lived in both cities for many years that time of the year can be quite unpredictable. Sure, you might get nice weather especially in Sydney but you can get cool days even up to Christmas. It can also be quite breezy at that time of year. You would also need to consider the start of the Xmas rush but of course it depends on what you plan to do.

Obviously, no time of the year is guaranteed but for Sydney my personal favourite is March or April and Melbourne maybe February/March. The weather seems more calm and settled as summer fades and autumn approaches.

So in summary, I would leave it until after Xmas for better weather but bear in mind that January is our major holiday period so prices will be higher and sights more crowded and school holidays will be in full swing.

I love both cities and I'm sure you will have a great time whenever you choose to come. Just make sure you bring some warmer clothing for any cooler weather.:D

Thanks for that. Actually early February would be ideal for me so I shall take a look at prices but as I've moreorless decided travelling Business Class the holiday is becoming more price sensitive costing over £7k before I even arrive in Australia. The price reductions for flights on offer at present are for flights up to 30 November. Can't do March as I'm on a Canaries cruise at the end of that month. Planning holidays is an absolute pain!

Thanks also for the SFO and LAX suggestions. Been to both places (love San Francisco even though it's freezing cold even in summer: didn't Mark Twain say the coldest winter I have ever spent is a summer in San Francisco) so would prefer somewhere in Asia as a stopover but I'm now leaning towards going non-stop.

Thanks again for the advice received. I've moreorless decided on timing, flights and destinations.

I've seen an interesting cruise to Aus/NZ leaving Singapore in late October returning late November. The only snag it's with Celebrity. According to the reviews there is no laundry, no tea and coffee making facilities in rooms and a long walk and even longer queues to acquire a takeaway hot drink. The reviews suggest that Celebrity is basically a cruise line that is licensed to hoover up money from unsuspecting punters with laundry bills exceeding the cost of drinks and with trips costing 4 times the onshore price. I don't mind paying reasonable prices but hate being ripped off.

Are the criticisms justified or are they overeactions from the all too many cruisers who will complain about anything and everything?

Edited by whoops

Thanks again for the advice received. I've moreorless decided on timing, flights and destinations.

I've seen an interesting cruise to Aus/NZ leaving Singapore in late October returning late November. The only snag it's with Celebrity. According to the reviews there is no laundry, no tea and coffee making facilities in rooms and a long walk and even longer queues to acquire a takeaway hot drink. The reviews suggest that Celebrity is basically a cruise line that is licensed to hoover up money from unsuspecting punters with laundry bills exceeding the cost of drinks and with trips costing 4 times the onshore price. I don't mind paying reasonable prices but hate being ripped off.

Are the criticisms justified or are they overeactions from the all too many cruisers who will complain about anything and everything?

I would call those comments pretty overstated. Have you cruised before? What cruise lines?

Edited by CruiserBruce

I would call those comments pretty overstated. Have you cruised before? What cruise lines?

Just P&O. But the factual points - no laundry and no tea and coffee facilities in balcony rooms must be correct surely.

Just P&O. But the factual points - no laundry and no tea and coffee facilities in balcony rooms must be correct surely.

Many cruise lines don't have laundry facilities for the pax use, as this is common in older ships, but not newer ships. And US oriented cruise lines don't typically have tea and coffee equipment in the rooms. However, tea and coffee are free and available in a number of locations on the ship, the buffet area, for example, 24/7.

Celebrity is considered a better quality mass market cruise line, with pretty good quality food and entertainment.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Those comments could apply to any , and probably every cruise line.

No self serve laundy on Celebrity but you can send it out.

No tea coffee making in cabin on any shps sailing Aus.

Never had any ear queues on Celebrity at the Cafe, or in fact at the bar a few minutes tops.

I am yet to find a line that doesn't charge substantially more for shore tours than you can arrange privately.

Most reviews are just unbelievable. I have often returned from a cruise, read a review and thought "Was that my cruise".