nonservice dog in dining room

skiladyldp

A family in my area got a pig designated as a service animal in an attempt to keep it in a restricted subdivision. The county would not allow it to live in a non farm area. Can they now bring the pig on a cruise?

Yes they would.

What's more if it was a genuine service pig, so they should be.

There will always be those that cheat the system with fake service dogs and that is what hurts the real service dogs. On Princess you are required to fill out paper work stating what service your dog provides. Plus EVERY port you go to has their own requirements. If you do not fill out the proper paperwork for each port, your dog will not be allowed off the ship. This paperwork can be very expensive as well. Just remember if you do see a service dog on a ship without any vest, don't assume it isn't a service dog. They are not required to wear a vest. To tell a real service dog is pretty easy most of the time. If the dog is well trained such as lying under the table through out the whole dinner without fussing, you can bet it is a service dog. Service dogs have very good manners such as not barking, and obeying to the command of the owner every single time. The size of the dog does not matter at all. For instance a guide dog for the deaf can be any size. They just have to be smart. Always try to remember that being deaf or having seizures or being in a wheelchair is pretty tough. Who would deny anyone like this his service dog? Put yourself in his shoes first.

When did this become a wide spread problem on Princess? I missed it.

It's not, of course, although I think, as with handicapped stickers, there is definite abuse on land, which makes it difficult for those who really do need them when people feel they need to comment.

I think in all of our cruises, we've seen maybe two dogs that I might cause me to wonder about their legitimate use as a service dog, if I was that sort, but I'm not. I also don't remark to people on how they are dressed, who uses whose internet, Elites taking in laundry to send out for free, soda sticker sharers and chair hogs. People will do what people will do, and if the conditions of their lives are such that they feel they're entitled, that's for them to live with.

Though I do have to wonder about the peanut-detecting dog on a plane. I need a dog-detecting...something, so I can sit well away from it. This just conjured images of dueling epi-pens at 35000 feet.

I wonder if this is more common in some parts of the world than others.

I sail to and from Australia.

I have seen the grand total of ONE dog on a ship and was told it was in training.

Plus EVERY port you go to has their own requirements. If you do not fill out the proper paperwork for each port, your dog will not be allowed off the ship. This paperwork can be very expensive as well.

wonder what would happen if the lines said, no peper work for every port animal not allowed on.

After all if you need the animal all the time, that must include in port.

In all the cruises we have done there have been 2 dogs onboard. On one a blind gentleman had his Labrador, unfortunately he wasn't allowed to take it off in 2 ports so he could not get off himself. The other time I watched as a lady carried her dachshund around in her arms everywhere including in the buffet, tickling it's head, then picking up tongs with the same hand. I'm allergic to dogs and do whatever I can to make allowances for service dogs, I'd love a dog myself but they make me too I'll. I had to leave the buffet as touching anything to do with the dog and then my face would have had me in the medical centre and there was no way I could remember what she had and had not touched. Maybe I should carry gloves in my luggage just in case for future.

I suppose it's like planes, someone gets on with a peanut allergy, all nuts are banned, even though they carry an epi pen. But ships and dogs are different, those with allergies just have to put up with it.

Edited by Tiggertastic

I wonder how long before all the fakes make it harder for those with genuine service dogs.

I don't see this is much different than able-bodied people booking accessible cabins because they like the extra room.

Edited by Treven

I don't see this is much different than able-bodied people booking accessible cabins because they like the extra room.

Princess allows it and books able bodied people in them anyway.

I just hope they have some arrangement in place to bump them if a genuine person needs it.

In all the cruises we have done there have been 2 dogs onboard. On one a blind gentleman had his Labrador, unfortunately he wasn't allowed to take it off in 2 ports so he could not get off himself. The other time I watched as a lady carried her dachshund around in her arms everywhere including in the buffet, tickling it's head, then picking up tongs with the same hand. I'm allergic to dogs and do whatever I can to make allowances for service dogs, I'd love a dog myself but they make me too I'll. I had to leave the buffet as touching anything to do with the dog and then my face would have had me in the medical centre and there was no way I could remember what she had and had not touched. Maybe I should carry gloves in my luggage just in case for future.

I suppose it's like planes, someone gets on with a peanut allergy, all nuts are banned, even though they carry an epi pen. But ships and dogs are different, those with allergies just have to put up with it.

Just an FYI: epi pens are only a stop gap measure. if a person needs to use it, they likely still need further medical attention. My girl friend has a nut allergy, mine is to mangos and DS is so sensitive to oranges that she can't even smell one without going into medical distress. An epi pen buys you time, that's all.

Just an FYI: epi pens are only a stop gap measure. if a person needs to use it, they likely still need further medical attention. My girl friend has a nut allergy, mine is to mangos and DS is so sensitive to oranges that she can't even smell one without going into medical distress. An epi pen buys you time, that's all.

Allergic to Mangoes:eek::eek:

Can't imagine anything worse.

Seriously though must be a real problem for DS.

This is not true. The plane may not give peanuts out but I can still sit next to the person who is allergic to peanuts and eat the peanuts --- though that would make me a rude person. They can not not prohibit me from bringing peanuts on the plane. Southwest and maybe others do not provide peanuts as a courtesy for those who are allergic.

I am allergic to perfume, not deathly but it really does cause a reaction. I can not prohibit someone else from wearing perfume, not can I prohibit a service dog near me. Many people have allergies and they just have to deal with them.

wonder what would happen if the lines said, no peper work for every port animal not allowed on.

After all if you need the animal all the time, that must include in port.

There is a law in the United States called the ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act, and cruise lines who operate within the United States' jurisdiction are obligated to follow the law. One component of the law is allowing service animals to be admitted to areas where other animals are outlawed. There are legal differences between "service" animals and "companion" animals, and these differences are recognized in the law. http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm Princess follows the law, I assume, and allows on only those animals who qualify as "service" animals. That is why you don't see livestock and companion cats wandering over every ship. I don't know how the ADA would be applied outside the US since it is strictly an American law. Thus, different ports can have different requirement for admitting the animals.

Edited by shredie

Yes, there will always be some who try to beat the system, but I believe they are the minority. BTW, many airlines do, and have always, allowed dogs and cats in the passenger cabin, even if they were not service animals. Requirements vary by airline but in general, there are weight limits, they must be in pet carriers and the carrier must fit under the seat in front of them. They also have to pay for the pet and many airlines limit how many pets can travel in the cabin. I'm sure the requirements for service animals are different, but many people are surprised to learn that non-service dogs and cats may be able to travel in the passenger cabin.

On my Royal T/A last year, a woman cruising with her son were on our roll call. The son has a "service" dog and they swore up and down that the dog was highly trained and a true service dog. When I mentioned that I'd seen the son feeding the dog (who was sitting on a table) in the IC, I was pilloried for saying that I'd actually seen this as the son "would never do that." I was told I was mistaken. Sorry, I wasn't. There was only one small, white fluffy dog on the ship with a young man in a wheelchair. I know what I saw. It was a very unpleasant experience first to see this and then to be told I was lying to get attention. I wear glasses but with them, my eyesight is pretty darned good.

On my Royal T/A last year, a woman cruising with her son were on our roll call. The son has a "service" dog and they swore up and down that the dog was highly trained and a true service dog. When I mentioned that I'd seen the son feeding the dog (who was sitting on a table) in the IC, I was pilloried for saying that I'd actually seen this as the son "would never do that." I was told I was mistaken. Sorry, I wasn't. There was only one small, white fluffy dog on the ship with a young man in a wheelchair. I know what I saw. It was a very unpleasant experience first to see this and then to be told I was lying to get attention. I wear glasses but with them, my eyesight is pretty darned good.

I remember them. I'm glad I didn't see that! :mad:

I understand that an acquaintance got false papers for her dog so he could fly in the cabin with her::rolleyes:

It is these ones that do not fit under those ADA rules. This is what will mess it up for the truly animal dependent disabled individual even if you know that act word for word.

There is a law in the United States called the ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act, and cruise lines who operate within the United States' jurisdiction are obligated to follow the law. One component of the law is allowing service animals to be admitted to areas where other animals are outlawed. There are legal differences between "service" animals and "companion" animals, and these differences are recognized in the law. http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm Princess follows the law, I assume, and allows on only those animals who qualify as "service" animals. That is why you don't see livestock and companion cats wandering over every ship. I don't know how the ADA would be applied outside the US since it is strictly an American law. Thus, different ports can have different requirement for admitting the animals.

I am familiar with the ADA, however Princess can refuse to carry me if I don't have appropriate Visas why can't the same apply to animals.

I was on the Star Princess in 2002 & a lady "sneaked" her dog onboard. I know this because I was told that by the Purser's Desk when I called to tell them there was a dog running around(unleashed) the adult pool. They told me she was a "very good customer".

I have been told you can get a fake certificate for service dogs online.

Yes, there will always be some who try to beat the system, but I believe they are the minority. BTW, many airlines do, and have always, allowed dogs and cats in the passenger cabin, even if they were not service animals. Requirements vary by airline but in general, there are weight limits, they must be in pet carriers and the carrier must fit under the seat in front of them. They also have to pay for the pet and many airlines limit how many pets can travel in the cabin. I'm sure the requirements for service animals are different, but many people are surprised to learn that non-service dogs and cats may be able to travel in the passenger cabin.

I see pets in carriers in the cabin on planes all the time. That isn't an ADA thing but something the airline allows. Mostly it is a cat but sometimes a little dog. No special papers needed.

I am familiar with the ADA, however Princess can refuse to carry me if I don't have appropriate Visas why can't the same apply to animals.

Because people and animals are different, maybe? Probably you don't need a service visa to help you around if you are blind.

Yep it may annoy you, but too many people kink the system these days. I am very concerned about sanitary conditions regarding dogs. My daughter and many others are very allergic to dogs especially long haired dogs. Questions will arise when dogs are not identified as to their purpose.

Didn't annoy me at all; but it seems to have annoyed you.

If you had legitimate concerns why didn't you consult the Purser's desk?

Mike:)