nonservice dog in dining room

skiladyldp

Because people and animals are different, maybe? Probably you don't need a service visa to help you around if you are blind.

Well if they don't have the papers to get the animal off the ship don't let them off.

Well if they don't have the papers to get the animal off the ship don't let them off.

They don't. Isn't that what we were talking about? :confused: Princess is obligated to let them on. The ports are not obligated to let them off. Princess cannot deny them boarding just because some country may not let them visit. We are talking about "service animals" here, kind of a "tool" the disabled person needs. Visas are for human beings, not the tools they use. I imagine a blind person with the appropriate visa could get off a ship in a port where he needed one, but his dog would stay on board. (Possibly this person has someone, another person, to help him get around on shore.) I really don't understand what you are objecting to here.

Didn't annoy me at all; but it seems to have annoyed you.

If you had legitimate concerns why didn't you consult the Purser's desk?

Mike:)

i agree. Thats what i asked too. Actually the title of this post assumes it was a non-service dog but the OP had no way of knowing that.

I understand that an acquaintance got false papers for her dog so he could fly in the cabin with her::rolleyes:

Airlines allow dogs in cabin, for a fee. You aquaintence has false papers to save miney

They don't. Isn't that what we were talking about? :confused: Princess is obligated to let them on. The ports are not obligated to let them off. Princess cannot deny them boarding just because some country may not let them visit. We are talking about "service animals" here, kind of a "tool" the disabled person needs. Visas are for human beings, not the tools they use. I imagine a blind person with the appropriate visa could get off a ship in a port where he needed one, but his dog would stay on board. (Possibly this person has someone, another person, to help him get around on shore.) I really don't understand what you are objecting to here.

What I am objecting to, if you go back to the start of ths conversation, is people who do not get the paperwork necessary to take their animal off in ports they are visiting.

If the animal is so important to them that they need it on the cruise, surely they need it in port. If they do not have the paperwork to take the animal off in port then the person should not be allowed off either.

As an aside Princess can and do refuse to take passengers who do not have the correct Visas for a stop, even if the PAX are not intending to leave the ship.

What I am objecting to, if you go back to the start of ths conversation, is people who do not get the paperwork necessary to take their animal off in ports they are visiting.

If the animal is so important to them that they need it on the cruise, surely they need it in port. If they do not have the paperwork to take the animal off in port then the person should not be allowed off either.

As an aside Princess can and do refuse to take passengers who do not have the correct Visas for a stop, even if the PAX are not intending to leave the ship.

Some ports/countries don't allow animals off at all regardless of any paperwork.

Many people have told me how easy it was to get their dog "certified" on line so that they can take their dog anywhere. Most times these dogs have no training. Sometimes, not always, the dog is disruptive. It is wrong but unfortunately these certifications are easy to get.

The people who do this really don't care about anyone except themselves and their dog.

This is a big problem and it has been my experience that most "service dogs" are really not.....their behavior usually is not that of a service animal. It is not big news that the system is highly abused, misused and that many people who travel with their animals are doing it so they can travel with their PET.

The ADA will be changed and there will be tighter policies on these abuses in the future. It is really making life difficult for people who do have do have true needs for these types of animals. People with disabilities are wanting the change to stop this fraudulent behavior of many people with pets.

I just checked in a Hertz rental car the other day and the young man ahead of me was told that there would be a $150 cleaning charge for the car because of how dirty the car was with dog hair because of his dog. He tried to say it was a service animal and the he was exempt of charges. The dog was a mutt and nothing more. He was charged and I was glad to see Hertz not put up with such nonsense.

Okay, now I'm totally lost. I give up. I thought this thread was about some person supposedly taking a fraudulent dog onto a ship, not off.

I see pets in carriers in the cabin on planes all the time. That isn't an ADA thing but something the airline allows. Mostly it is a cat but sometimes a little dog. No special papers needed.
They used to have very strict requirements. When I moved from MA to CA eight years ago, I had four cats. I booked myself and my daughter in First Class (more room for two carriers) and two cats in baggage claim. I paid for each cat (I think it was $75/cat in baggage, $100/cat in the cabin) and make the reservation months in advance. I had to produce documentation that every cat had been to a vet within 48 hours, and every carrier was thoroughly inspected by Security. I was terrified as I took each cat out of their carrier for it to be inspected, sure the cat would run. The flight had to take off and arrive at any destination with the air temperature below 80-degrees which meant that I booked a 6am flight out of Logan that arrived before 11am at LAX. It certainly wasn't for the faint at heart. They survived the trip and all was well.

I'm sure you are joking - but the real answer is "Yes, they can bring it on a cruise."

The American Disabilities Act is extremely precise on how Service Animals and their owners are to be treated, but incredibly dense on how Service Animals are to be identified or licensed.

Anyone can claim that any animal is a Service Animal. If they have any kind of documentation, it cannot legally be refused. A fake letter from a fake doctor is good enough. No license or ID tag is required.

When someone brings a service animal onto my ship, we are legally forbidden to ask what the animal does, or why he is there.

If he pees on the carpet, of jumps into the pool, we just clean it up and apologize to the other passengers. If he barks all night, we apologize to the other passengers and inform them that there is nothing we can do.

The US Public Health service will not allow live animals in any food service areas on ships - unless they are "service animals". Then it is perfectly OK.

No I am not joking. Look up Tucker the pig.

wonder what would happen if the lines said, no peper work for every port animal not allowed on.

After all if you need the animal all the time, that must include in port.

Easy Answer: The ADA has made it illegal for cruise lines to say that.

There is a law in the United States called the ADA, Americans with Disabilities Act, and cruise lines who operate within the United States' jurisdiction are obligated to follow the law. One component of the law is allowing service animals to be admitted to areas where other animals are outlawed. There are legal differences between "service" animals and "companion" animals, and these differences are recognized in the law. http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm Princess follows the law, I assume, and allows on only those animals who qualify as "service" animals. That is why you don't see livestock and companion cats wandering over every ship. I don't know how the ADA would be applied outside the US since it is strictly an American law. Thus, different ports can have different requirement for admitting the animals.

Some ports do prohibit any animals going ashore.

But the ADA claims jurisdiction over any cruise line that sells tickets in the USA (essentially all of them), regardless of where the ship might be sailing.

I am a huge dog lover. Had one for 40 years - not the same one obviously- I am so full of admiration for true service dogs, they do an amazing job and are so well trained. I do have a problem with so called therapy dogs. Our neighbour got an on line certificate for a therapy or companion dog. They have a condo in the states they use in the winter and dogs aren't allowed. This is their way around being able to have the dog with them while staying at the condo. They carry the dog with them in stores and restaurants. It's as much a therapy dog as ours- not- really does a huge disservice to those real service dogs doing a real job and I told them so

Terry

...I am very concerned about sanitary conditions regarding dogs. My daughter and many others are very allergic to dogs especially long haired dogs...

This concerns me also. I know someone quite allergic to many dogs, and another who is phobic of them and will have a panic attack if one gets near her in public. The fact that apparently cruise lines and other carriers are not allowed to question the legitimacy of credentials is troubling.

Those who can't or won't travel without their dogs create a situation where others can't or won't travel for fear of encountering said dogs. An unfortunate situation all around.

I was also on this cruise, and this service dog was with someone from my roll call. For privacy, I will not give names, but this was indeed a legitimate service dog. They do come in all shapes and sizes.

Thank you. Those of you who think there is no oversight or questioning of a dog's papers, did you read the official ADA document (the link for which I posted earlier) that spells out exactly what the requirements are for service dogs and the paper work needed to take one on a ship? No? Then you need to educate yourself instead of claiming that all service dogs on ships are frauds.

Edited by shredie

A happy ending. :) How did you determine which lucky kitties got the cabin and which got steerage? LOL.
Ha! I'm asked that all the time. The noisy ones went in cargo. The two in the cabin were the quiet, laid-back ones.

Disabilities can be visible or invisible. You never know. My daughter has a disabling condition (RSD -- Google it) and a handicap placard. Visibly, she looks like a normal young woman walking around but you don't see the constant, debilitating, excrutiating pain that she's in. She just sucks it up and has learned to live with it. When she parks (legitimately) in a handicap space, she gets yelled at, screamed at, nasty and even threatening notes put on her windshield, etc.

OMG Pam, I remember you mentioning this before but the initials change so I didn't put it together. As I am sitting here crying while my DH sleeps, add me to it. The worst "condition" ever! I just had a medical procedure done to help relieve it (in my left foot) and it went wrong. Now I have it 10 times worst in my right foot and up my leg to the knee. Just had a stimulator put in. NO ONE can no what this non existent physical pain is like.

Edited by notentirelynormal

It manifests in my daughter's right ankle even though it's a sympathetic nerve condition. The stimulator didn't work for her. :( For those unfamiliar, the pain is like having a root canal without any medication. My sympathies as I know exactly what you're going through.

It manifests in my daughter's right ankle even though it's a sympathetic nerve condition. The stimulator didn't work for her. :( For those unfamiliar, the pain is like having a root canal without any medication. My sympathies as I know exactly what you're going through.

I'm three weeks in and so far not feeling the love. No one understands - no one. If I fell down and broke my leg I'd have tremendous sympathy but no one understands this. Mine was they tried to do the implant for my left foot and when they did it sparked my right foot. My mother keeps telling me to walk. Umm, mom, the nerve pain is in the bottom of my feet. :rolleyes: She's 85 and doesn't get it. Others wonder why I use a scooter when I'm fine otherwise. I dunno. Because I can.

Just so everyone knows ADA rules only apply for the AMERICANS with disabilities act not the WHOLE WIDE WORLD with disabilities act. The fact that, like Bruce says, the cruise lines bow doesn't mean they legally have to. I get REALLY pissed off when people tell others they can legally take their "free" medical bag on an airplane. Try doing it on Air Canada. Not going to happen. Non US airlines that do it for Americans do it because they want to, not because they have to. Are Americans really that arrogant that they think that the rest of the world has to follow US laws because they travel there? Grow up.

Edited by notentirelynormal