nonservice dog in dining room

skiladyldp

Some service dogs alert the owner to a pending epileptic seizure or to a need to take insulin. Some dogs are needed for mental health reasons. All service dogs are not retriever or shepherd types.

Perhaps there are people who scam the system, but for the sake of those who rely on their dogs, I would not jump to conclusions.

Also, if more people would train their dogs, maybe they would be allowed to go more places legitimately.

Exactly right, there are many reasons why one would have a service dog...reasons that may not be physically obvious. However, they should be clearly identified.

Whether the dog was legitimate or not, the passenger had to produce papers and make prior arrangements for the dog. If you have allergies to dander or other issues, report it. The vast majority of service dog owners are sensitive to people's reactions and will go out of their way to avoid problems.

And no one owes the OP or anyone an explanation. Would OP have had no objections to the long-haired, non-service looking dog if the owner had produced paperwork for OP to read? I doubt it. IMO, what we have going on here is old-fashioned mean spiritedness.

As usual we have become a love me love my dog society. ... BTW.......where do they go the bathroom?

When the ship has been made aware that a/some "service animals" will be sailing, the ship makes up a "potty area" for the dogs to use, with the owner cleaning up after the dog - hopefully. It will be in a small area on the upper-most deck and not in an area usually accessible to the run of the mill passengers.

Edited by Treven

His name is Jeff Peterson and his little dog is named Indy. He was on our Grand Princess cruise last month.

I think they were on the Sea when I did my Panama Canal cruise. The "dog parent" had the little dog go around the audience for petting, holding, etc.

It is possible to get a service dog designation for just about anything. A "companion dog" can get certified. I've known (and worked with) people who had a genuine need for a service dog. I've also known people who got a spurious service dog certification because they felt their dog was at least as important as any person. These people p|5$ me off.

When the ship has been made aware that a/some "service animals" will be sailing, the ship makes up a "potty area" for the dogs to use, with the owner cleaning up after the dog - hopefully. It will be in a small area on the upper-most deck and not in an area usually accessible to the run of the mill passengers.

On one of our cruises the potty area was on the Promenade deck right where the stairs go up to complete the circuit.

It is possible to get a service dog designation for just about anything. A "companion dog" can get certified.

There is a difference between a "service" animal and a "companion" animal. They have different requirements and require different paperwork. If people object to this practice, they should take it up with the makers of the laws, not Princess.

Oh great....now I have to watch where I step!

Some of these pet owners get fake papers and fake service dog vests.....I have seen them sold!

If pet owners are so self centered to bring them on the ship what makes you think they will clean up after them especially if no one is watching.....yuck!

My U.S. sensibilities say....YUCK!

Oh great....now I have to watch where I step!

Some of these pet owners get fake papers and fake service dog vests.....I have seen them sold!

If pet owners are so self centered to bring them on the ship what makes you think they will clean up after them especially if no one is watching.....yuck!

My U.S. sensibilities say....YUCK!

I agree.......noted several times in this thread. You can get these items and pretty much anything you desire on the internet. :( :eek:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Yep it may annoy you, but too many people kink the system these days. I am very concerned about sanitary conditions regarding dogs. My daughter and many others are very allergic to dogs especially long haired dogs. Questions will arise when dogs are not identified as to their purpose.

That's the big problem. Those who seem to always cheat/game the system.....:mad:

Bob

True, but that does not mean all or even most of the service dogs on a Princess ship are frauds. I have seen only three service dogs on all the cruises I have taken so I don't think it is a wide spread problem.

A family in my area got a pig designated as a service animal in an attempt to keep it in a restricted subdivision. The county would not allow it to live in a non farm area. Can they now bring the pig on a cruise?

Yep it may annoy you, but too many people kink the system these days. I am very concerned about sanitary conditions regarding dogs. My daughter and many others are very allergic to dogs especially long haired dogs. Questions will arise when dogs are not identified as to their purpose.

Yes. Or if people jump to conclusions about them. The bottom line is you really don't know and I agree with others here who have said service dogs come in all sizes and are trained to recognize different conditions. Did you go to guest services and voice your concerns while on board?

Edited by jacketwatch
typo

On HAL there's a great thread about a service cat. Search 'ocelot'

If you want your service ocelot with you....charter a yacht.....there you go..LOL! The crew may jump overboard but get your ship navigators license while youre at it!

Aren't people hard enough to deal with but now add their pets into the mix.....Someone please pee on my leg!;)

There are many types of "true" service animal such as those to aid the blind or the deaf. One of my former employees had a daughter with epilepsy and she was able to get a service animal that warned her of impending seizures. The need for the service animal may not be apparent.

However, I know people near us that are working to get their pets classified as very questionable "service" animals so that they don't need to leave them home when they travel. This is unfortunate because it can impact those people who really need a "true" service animal.

On a cruise in Royal Caribbean about a year and a half ago, there was an older man and woman who had a small dog with them. They had it in a baby stroller and took it everywhere with them. They said they tried to leave him in their stateroom during dinner but he barked the entire time and the people next door complained so they had to bring him with them to eat. The woman, who seemed to often hold the dog, said he was her husband's therapy dog. I personally never saw the man interacting with the dog. It was always the woman. The dog had no tags identifying him as such. I guess if you can get a doctor's note you can do about anything!

Edited by tiessa

A true service dog should be clearly identified as such. Many people have allergies, fear of dogs, mistrust of animal behavior and concerns about sanitation with dogs. These same people will probably go a long way to accommodate a person with a true service dog. The least the dog owner can do is identify the animal as a service dog.

There are many types of "true" service animal such as those to aid the blind or the deaf. One of my former employees had a daughter with epilepsy and she was able to get a service animal that warned her of impending seizures. The need for the service animal may not be apparent.

However, I know people near us that are working to get their pets classified as very questionable "service" animals so that they don't need to leave them home when they travel. This is unfortunate because it can impact those people who really need a "true" service animal.

No truer statement my fellow IE resident!!! A few bad apples spoil the whole bunch.

When we go on vacation the cat goes to the cat resort....is it alot of money? YES!!!

Why should the bad apples get special priveledges.....fake service dog owners hire a sitter:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but that remark annoyed me. You obviously know very little about service dogs to make such a statement. There are a couple living not far from me who are both profoundly deaf and have a trained service dog. The dog is a papillon, ie very small and long-haired. And it doesn't wear any tag or other sign of identification either.

Thank you, saved me saying it.

A family in my area got a pig designated as a service animal in an attempt to keep it in a restricted subdivision. The county would not allow it to live in a non farm area. Can they now bring the pig on a cruise?

I'm sure you are joking - but the real answer is "Yes, they can bring it on a cruise."

The American Disabilities Act is extremely precise on how Service Animals and their owners are to be treated, but incredibly dense on how Service Animals are to be identified or licensed.

Anyone can claim that any animal is a Service Animal. If they have any kind of documentation, it cannot legally be refused. A fake letter from a fake doctor is good enough. No license or ID tag is required.

When someone brings a service animal onto my ship, we are legally forbidden to ask what the animal does, or why he is there.

If he pees on the carpet, of jumps into the pool, we just clean it up and apologize to the other passengers. If he barks all night, we apologize to the other passengers and inform them that there is nothing we can do.

The US Public Health service will not allow live animals in any food service areas on ships - unless they are "service animals". Then it is perfectly OK.

No truer statement my fellow IE resident!!! A few bad apples spoil the whole bunch.

When we go on vacation the cat goes to the cat resort....is it alot of money? YES!!!

Why should the bad apples get special priveledges.....fake service dog owners hire a sitter:rolleyes:

Another big agree.

I love my dogs, and if a cruise line offered the chance to take one with me, I'd be tempted, but till then they stay home, ether in boarding kennels or with DD.

On a cruise in Royal Caribbean about a year and a half ago, there was an older man and woman who had a small dog with them. They had it in a baby stroller and took it everywhere with them. They said they tried to leave him in their stateroom during dinner but he barked the entire time and the people next door complained so they had to bring him with them to eat. The woman, who seemed to often hold the dog, said he was her husband's therapy dog. I personally never saw the man interacting with the dog. It was always the woman. The dog had no tags identifying him as such. I guess if you can get a doctor's note you can do about anything!

Fakers or just plain an egg shy of a dozen!