Regent Seven Seas-NOT worth the $$$!!!

DJinLA

Well then, I guess paying passengers are simply going to have to learn to adjust their dining expectations on their luxury cruise according to how management chooses to staff their venues. It sounds ridiculous. Maybe to make the main dining room function.....good old assigned seating time is needed. I would certainly hope not.

And let me add that the same thing happened in Setti Mare if you dined late.

Good point! I should mention that we have had slow service in Setti Mare (formerly La Veranda) for years. Setti Mari is easier for us because, as long as we get wine service, we can make a whole meal out of the antipasti bar (not an excuse for the service).

Someone mentioned other cruise lines. The only other luxury line we have been on is Silversea and we did not find the service better or worse in the main dining room or the Setti Mari equivalent in the evening. Again, it was depending upon the time that you dine. The worst service (and food) that we had on Silversea was in their specialty restaurant (that has a cost to dine in). I only bring this up because, in our experience, slow service does not only happen on Regent.

Referring another point the OP made about Regent was that they did not inspire loyalty in passengers. This was the feeling that the OP received on their cruise but is obviously not the case. Most good itineraries (meaning longer itineraries - not Alaska, the Caribbean or Med. during the summer) has up to 90% repeat customers.

In terms of adjusting our dining expectations -- we absolutely do -- whenever we dine out but especially on a ship. If someone onboard the Mariner wants to see just how many people descend on Compass Rose at the same time after an "event", try sitting in the Mariner Lounge and watch the parade of people that leave the theater and go directly to CR.

When posters ask for tips for when they sail on Regent, I always recommend avoiding certain times in CR (and I would make the same recommendation for Silversea and Oceania).

I agree with Travelcat. There are times that we just know the service is going to be slow as the kitchen gets slammed all at once. Absolute slowest ever was on silversea explorer after the captain's welcome. We were at a table for 8, which probably contributed, but we had no place else to go (and we had good company and wine) so were fine. Normally though, a 2 1/2 hr dinner would be too long for me. And if I am wanting things to move faster, I am not shy about asking.

Thanks for clarifying. Agree that staff is sometimes redeployed from CR to Sette Mari. It also seems as if the majority of the serving staff for breakfast and lunch are in La Veranda leaving minimal staff in CR. When you last were on Regent, was Sette Mari in place? I know that time flies but it seems like Sette Mari has been around approximately 2 years.

Sette Mari wasn't in place but La Veranda opened for dinner, table service with the antipasti buffet. How is Sette Mari different from the old La Veranda at night? I liked being able to get my antipasto without waiting for the waiter, it did speed things up.

Editing to add, I hate having breakfast in Compass Rose. I have never had good service even if there were just a couple of tables with pax.

Edited by cruiseluv

Sette Mari wasn't in place but La Veranda opened for dinner, table service with the antipasti buffet. How is Sette Mari different from the old La Veranda at night? I liked being able to get my antipasto without waiting for the waiter, it did speed things up.

Editing to add, I hate having breakfast in Compass Rose. I have never had good service even if there were just a couple of tables with pax.

I rarely get asked a question that causes my mind to go blank but your question did! My memories of La Veranda in the evening is all over the place. Although I do remember the antipasti buffet, I also remember La Veranda being a lot of different things. In Alaska they turned it into an Alaska themed restaurant -- on the Navigator they had wine and cheese tasting followed by a sit down Italian dinner, etc. I truly cannot remember (at the moment) how it was different than Sette Mari but I believe that it was.

In addition to the antipasti bar, you get a few different "tastes" of Italian items on your table. This is given to you by your server around the same time you get bread and wine. Soup is also served to you. The menu changes (do not remember how often). It is a heck of a lot of food (too much). Dessert is buffet style as it was in La Veranda. Maybe Rachel will post and fill in more details. While I enjoy Sette Mari, we rarely go there. When we do, it is only once per cruise (no matter how long the cruise is).

One thing that has changed for the better in the past couple of years is La Veranda having more flexible hours to accommodate excursions. When there are evening excursions, La Veranda does not change to Sette Mari - opens early (and/or stays open late) and serves buffet style. So, like La Veranda, Sette Mari does not always become an Italian restaurant in the evening. IMO, Sette Mari is better than La Veranda was in the evening and it tends to get quite crowded.

Sorry for the confusing response. For some reason I remember Latitudes more than I remember La Veranda. Once they debut Chartreuse next year, I'll likely forget what Signatures was like (but won't miss it). :o

Agree about service in Compass Rose for breakfast. However, when we have the time, we prefer having breakfast there as it gets very hectic in La Veranda in the morning.

As far as Sette Mare vs La Veranda, they got a new updated decor, china, etc for Sette Mare. They bring you a glass of proscecco and the little nibbles at the table before the antipasti. I think the antipasti is pretty much the same but the menu for items brought to the table by the waiter is more extensive now.

They also had more times back in the La Veranda days when they did themes other than italian. I remember a French bistro theme that was quite good.

I too never eat breakfast in CR as I have always had very slow service in there for breakfast. I don't care to spend 2 hours eating breakfast on a sea day.

Thanks, sounds like changes between La Veranda at night and Sette Mari are mostly cosmetic, maybe also a more standardized menu.

Regarding the new Chartreuse on the Explorer, I hope they don't adopt the ridiculous fanfare from Signatures of taking off the silver dome from the dinner plate and all the French affectations of the waiters. So phony and stiff.

Don Vito's, who could forget that? That's what La Veranda was before Setti Mari. They recreated it from the Diamond. It was horrific, I thought.

Wasn't Don VIto's only on the Navigator? We thought it was fun the first time but once was enough.

I find it interesting that people view 2 hours as a lengthy dinner. I imagine there's a cultural element at play here: in Europe, people tend to linger over dinner and certainly in France, for example, 2 hours would not be considered a long meal. On the other hand, we have plans to visit the US soon and have read some advice to alert our waiter/waitress if we would like to relax over our meal as non-Americans can feel rushed. Looking back on other trips there, it makes sense. Hard to cater for all, although I understand that Regent has a largely American customer base.

Having said all that, it is only my preference to eat at a leisurely pace if my wine and water glasses are kept topped-up! :D

Edited by mcshane

I find it interesting that people view 2 hours as a lengthy dinner. I imagine there's a cultural element at play here: in Europe, people tend to linger over dinner and certainly in France, for example, 2 hours would not be considered a long meal. On the other hand, we have plans to visit the US soon and have read some advice to alert our waiter/waitress if we would like to relax over our meal as non-Americans can feel rushed. Looking back on other trips there, it makes sense. Hard to cater for all, although I understand that Regent has a largely American customer base.

Having said all that, it is only my preference to eat at a leisurely pace if my wine and water glasses are kept topped-up! :D

You bring up good points! In terms of Regent's customer base, while it is mostly people from the U.S., there are many passengers from Australia, the U.K. and Canada. The number of people from the U.K. increased dramatically after Regent set up an office there (and also has run some amazing promotions).

Where in the U.S. do you plan to visit?

I thought Don Vitos was only on the Diamond. Wasn't there some Italian singer that people liked?

We weren't on the Diamond (unfortunately) but did go to Don Vitos on the Navigator. There was a singer that people liked but I don't recall his name.

I know what you're referring to, not only in Europe but in some cultures in Latin America, to linger after dinner sharing drinks/ coffee and conversation is very common. However, the 2 hrs plus dinners in Compass Rose in my experience was caused by very long intervals between courses. By the time I had my dessert I had enough of the Compass Rose for one night!

I thought Don Vitos was only on the Diamond. Wasn't there some Italian singer that people liked?

Jerry was his name. He was accompanied by Monna Lisa, Roberto and other crew members. We loved the Diamond and Don Vito's. It was great fun.

Mcshane, I'm with you I like a two hour dinner 80% of the time. If I need it quicker I let the wait staff know I need to move it along quicker. Since Im a born and raised New Jersey girl, i sometimes need to use tactics to make sure the dinner isn't over in an hour. We have found ordering a very nice bottle of wine will normally signal we aren't moving away from the table quickly. Closing any menu that is presented to us open and putting it aside. Making it very clear that we don't want the entree while we are still eating the salad, soup,etc. Not letting them clear a plate unless we are both done. making sure we still have wine left in the glass after dinner, so we can say "let us enjoy the wine, before we think about dessert" . And the best way - looking like my husband and I are deep in conversion and having a great time. We have had waiters tell us they didn't want to it interrupt us!

Jerry was his name. He was accompanied by Monna Lisa, Roberto and other crew members. We loved the Diamond and Don Vito's. It was great fun.

Should have included it was on the Diamond for a long time but did not work out on the Navigator.

Jerry Vasi. He was performing on the Navigator for a time after they stopped Don Vitos (2008) Jerry is still performing, but not on ships. He posts his gig on facebook. I don't know what happened to Mona Lisa. Roberto retried.

j

Jerry Vasi is correct -- Google his name and you'll find links to YouTube videos of some of his act. The guy who accompanied him was not Roberto, at least on the two Diamond cruises I saw him; it was Danilo (Danilo Galli, I believe). Monaliza (I think that's the correct spelling) was a waitress they brought on for a song or two at Don Vitos, and became the singer of their lounge act, which changed from "Two of Diamonds" (two guys, on the Diamond, get it?) to "Three of Diamonds" with the addition of Monaliza. We thought the shtick of Don Vitos was fun and different, although not for repeat visits.

Eric

Folks,

Please don't take this wrong, but this thread has longed served its usefulness in addressing the OP's legitimate issues.

It now goes on for pages with off-topic remarks about old dining venues, etc.

Ironically, most of these subsequent posts are quite positive about Regent, but only serve to keep the first post that visitors to this forum see bannering that Regent is no good. I believe from many years of watching this board and our personal experiences with many, many Regent cruises not to be the general opinion of Regent here.

Let it die and start new threads if you want to discuss other topics than the OP's issues. Please.

Jerry Vasi. He was performing on the Navigator for a time after they stopped Don Vitos (2008) Jerry is still performing, but not on ships. He posts his gig on facebook. I don't know what happened to Mona Lisa. Roberto retried.

j

Thanks for providing his last name. He is quite talented. It's nice looking back at how things used to be on Regent. Perhaps this subject is worth a new thread. It isn't about being off topic but rather giving people that may not want to read a thread with a negative subject the opportunity to read about how Regent was -- a generally positive topic.

Sorry if I've gone off-topic, I promise I'll stop after this!

Monaliza (or however you spell it) was still doing Don Vito's on Navigator in something like 2007 I think, not sure about Jerry.

Jerry Vasi is correct -- Google his name and you'll find links to YouTube videos of some of his act. The guy who accompanied him was not Roberto, at least on the two Diamond cruises I saw him; it was Danilo (Danilo Galli, I believe). .../QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, Roberto was the name of the CD or assistant CD on Diamond. There were a pair of guys, it was all very chummy when we were on Diamond in 2004.

Folks,

Please don't take this wrong, but this thread has longed served its usefulness in addressing the OP's legitimate issues.

It now goes on for pages with off-topic remarks about old dining venues, etc.

Ironically, most of these subsequent posts are quite positive about Regent, but only serve to keep the first post that visitors to this forum see bannering that Regent is no good. I believe from many years of watching this board and our personal experiences with many, many Regent cruises not to be the general opinion of Regent here.

Let it die and start new threads if you want to discuss other topics than the OP's issues. Please.

Hi! Welcome to an internet forum. You must be new to this type of thing. Don't worry, you'll get used to: derailed threads, troll threads, and all sorts of things outside of your control. You'll also realize that most requests for threads to die fail.

Back when the line was far better than now:

CRW_2218-L.jpg

and for this thread:

CRW_2310-L.jpg

CRW_2301-L.jpg

Edited by Emperor Norton