Ryndham noro virus update please from cruisers

choc56uk

August 29 is a long way off in terms of norovirus infections. The Ryndam could be clean as a whistle for over the next month, yet have the virus reintroduced when you arrive. Conversely, the Ryndam could have the virus appear every week until you board, yet be free of it when you are there.

What's going on today is not at all a good predictor of how it will be in late August.

The best you can do is be diligent about washing your hands, keep them off potentially infected sources, and keep them away from your face, especially the mouth.

thanks for reply .....just having a little panic ...as ive had this virus in the past and its awful...i got it in spain and was unable to fly home ....

best thing was i lost weight ...but not a nice way ,,,,

like u say ...just be diligent

August 29 is a long way off in terms of norovirus infections. The Ryndam could be clean as a whistle for over the next month, yet have the virus reintroduced when you arrive. Conversely, the Ryndam could have the virus appear every week until you board, yet be free of it when you are there.

What's going on today is not at all a good predictor of how it will be in late August.

The best you can do is be diligent about washing your hands, keep them off potentially infected sources, and keep them away from your face, especially the mouth.

Ruth is right! As a retired DDS, all you need to do is be diligent about washing hands, do not touch hand rails or door knobs to the Lido. Use napkins in Lido to pick up food with the serving tongs, wash prior to eating, do not touch elevator buttons use the back of your hand. I can go on for ever!

Remember enjoy your trip just be mindful of everything! Including moving your lounge chairs, or sitting down in any chairs. Keep hands free.

Wash regularly !

Somewhere we had a thread about this awhile ago.

Denise:)

are there any clear updates from cruisers who are currently sailing or just come off the RYNDHAM

we are due to sail on 29th / august - fjords ????we are from uk

Please note, the name is RYNDAM and not RYNDHAM!!! :mad:

Ruth is right! As a retired DDS, all you need to do is be diligent about washing hands, do not touch hand rails or door knobs to the Lido. Use napkins in Lido to pick up food with the serving tongs, wash prior to eating, do not touch elevator buttons use the back of your hand. I can go on for ever!

Remember enjoy your trip just be mindful of everything! Including moving your lounge chairs, or sitting down in any chairs. Keep hands free.

Wash regularly !

Somewhere we had a thread about this awhile ago.

Denise:)

Yes, usually Noro is avoidable with these precautions. We try to be first in the a.m. for the Lido breakfast. I rather eat lunch and dinner in the MDR if at all possible or only get things served by staff away from the reach of those who use hands when they shouldn't. Also, I learned it's good to sanitize hands after using the serving utensils as well as before.

Yes, I've become paranoid about Noro, lol, and now have a hard time Passing the Peace at church...have to get my sanitizer out of my purse afterward.

We're on Ryndam at the moment, totally clear since embarkation & no code red since last Tuesday. Fantastic crew who are working very hard to keep ship clear, but also helped by passengers who are very aware of what could have been.

Glad to hear this.

Have a great cruise!

Ditto all the below. Having gotten noro TWICE after being very careful on board (both time it hit on journey home & then infected the other one after a couple of days), we've gotten a little OCD:

We bring clorox wipes and upon entering our stateroom, wipe down EVERY handle & many hard surfaces (not just the bathroom): all door handles, phone handset and buttons, closet & drawer handles (especially the underside), TV remote, magnifying mirror sides, nightstand & vanity top surface--even the outside of the ice bucket & tongs. We also do the bathroom, esp. in places they might miss/not consider: shower wand & knob, etc.

That is, anything we might put our hands on except glassware.(Haven't done hangers...) Then the first time we DO touch something in the cabin, we ask ourselves, has this been wiped down yet?

Been okay for awhile, knock on wood... A VERY unpleasant disease!! There's a possible 2-3 day window before symptoms show, you can be contagious for up to 5 days after feeling better, and you can definitely get reinfected even just a week or two later. But anyone know how long the norovirus stays alive on hard surfaces?

Edited by sofietucker

Been okay for awhile, knock on wood... A VERY unpleasant disease!! There's a possible 2-3 day window before symptoms show, you can be contagious for up to 5 days after feeling better, and you can definitely get reinfected even just a week or two later. But anyone know how long the norovirus stays alive on hard surfaces?

While I never dissuade people from doing what makes them feel better, the Chlorox wipes are really not that effective, regardless of their advertising. You would really have to keep wiping the surfaces down with fresh wipes to keep the surface wet for about 5-7 minutes for there to be any appreciable effect on noro.

Lots of people will trot out the statistic that noro can remain viable on hard surfaces for up to two weeks. That, however, is in a laboratory setting with the optimal conditions of temperature, humidity, and light. In the real world, about 2 days is doing real well for a little virus to survive.

Just wondering why you don't use the wipes on the inside of the ice bucket or on the glassware (and then rinse of course) as both of these areas could be sources of contamination? (those things are sanitized before being put in your cabin, but they have been touched as well).

These are supposed to be good Clorox Healthcare Bleach Germicidal Wipe. They are expensive and said to kill noro and c-diff.

While the manufacturer claims a one minute contact time for noro virus, their Safety Data Sheet does not give the concentration of active ingredients, stating that none are at levels harmful to health, so I cannot comment on their claims. A one minute contact time for noro (and this is actually tested against feline calicivirus, a cat virus thought to be similar to noro) would require a fairly concentrated bleach solution, but there doesn't seem to be any warnings.

Anyway, I tend to go with the EPA's list of effective agents against noro virus, and this product is not on there (last updated Nov 2014). There are one or two wipe products, but I believe these are limited to clinical and healthcare usage.

And for the c-diff spores, it requires a 3 minute contact time on a pre-cleaned surface.

While I never dissuade people from doing what makes them feel better, the Chlorox wipes are really not that effective, regardless of their advertising. You would really have to keep wiping the surfaces down with fresh wipes to keep the surface wet for about 5-7 minutes for there to be any appreciable effect on noro.

Lots of people will trot out the statistic that noro can remain viable on hard surfaces for up to two weeks. That, however, is in a laboratory setting with the optimal conditions of temperature, humidity, and light. In the real world, about 2 days is doing real well for a little virus to survive.

Just wondering why you don't use the wipes on the inside of the ice bucket or on the glassware (and then rinse of course) as both of these areas could be sources of contamination? (those things are sanitized before being put in your cabin, but they have been touched as well).

And:

While the manufacturer claims a one minute contact time for noro virus, their Safety Data Sheet does not give the concentration of active ingredients, stating that none are at levels harmful to health, so I cannot comment on their claims. A one minute contact time for noro (and this is actually tested against feline calicivirus, a cat virus thought to be similar to noro) would require a fairly concentrated bleach solution, but there doesn't seem to be any warnings.

Anyway, I tend to go with the EPA's list of effective agents against noro virus, and this product is not on there (last updated Nov 2014). There are one or two wipe products, but I believe these are limited to clinical and healthcare usage.

And for the c-diff spores, it requires a 3 minute contact time on a pre-cleaned surface.

Ack! Re: the glasses & ice bucket, guess I was assuming they'd touch only on the outside. Don't feed my disease, lol. But I may check out the EPA list & hosp. supply places...

Edited by sofietucker

On epa.gov Dec 2014 it lists it as hospital approved. Beats carrying around bleach if you are worried. Personally, I will wash my hands and use a napkin in the buffet line to hold utensils then drop the napkin in the trash before sitting down.

I was on the cruise that was cut short by one day, June 20th sailing. More people were sick than well. If they offer you a full refund prior to boarding, I would take it. We were informed by the crew that the prior sailings had a severe outbreak of norovirus; code red and half the crew was sick. If the crew is sick and cooking, the passengers are in real danger. I found out after getting sick that hand sanitizers do not protect you from norovirus, you have to wash your hands.

Ack! Re: the glasses & ice bucket, guess I was assuming they'd touch only on the outside. Don't feed my disease, lol. But I may check out the EPA list & hosp. supply places...

Sorry. Generally, the agents listed on the EPA list require either Personal Protective Equipment for use, or a license from the EPA to use it. This is the Virkon stuff they use to fog the ship with when there is an outbreak.

They [/b]shouldn't[/b] touch the inside of glassware, since USPH regulations require glassware to be washed and stored upside down. I read your post as not cleaning the glassware at all.

I don't try to worry folks about noro, I just want everyone to know that there are only a few, very strong, things that will kill noro. Again, if you can get a wipe that is more soap than alcohol, or even bleach, this will loosen the virus and allow you to wipe it away, much like soap does on your hands.

People will always warn about not touching your face to prevent noro, but never mention eating with your hands. The guy who has contaminated hands in front of you at the buffet used the tongs. You use the tongs and contaminate your hands. Your hands now touch the burger bun you just carefully picked up using the tongs. The bun is now contaminated, and you eat that. Your hands never touched your face, but you've been contaminated by a far more common transmission vector. If ya gotta have those burgers and fries, eat them the European way, with utensils.

I was on the cruise that was cut short by one day, June 20th sailing. More people were sick than well. If they offer you a full refund prior to boarding, I would take it. We were informed by the crew that the prior sailings had a severe outbreak of norovirus; code red and half the crew was sick. If the crew is sick and cooking, the passengers are in real danger. I found out after getting sick that hand sanitizers do not protect you from norovirus, you have to wash your hands.

I do think this is very harsh. Admittedly I wasn't on the cruise & we did think of cancelling but am so glad we didn't. I have spoken to lots of people who were on board last cruise & also had a very interesting chat with Darren (hotel director) & Kieron (cruise director). Yes it cannot have been nice but there have only been 4 cases this cruise & having heard the steps which were taken I genuinely believe this was taken very seriously.

With regards to CD & HD these 2 gentlemen have been fantastic, my 17 year old son is planning on a hospitality degree & both have spent a lot of time telling him the best routes to take & how to pursue a career on cruise ships in management.

We cruise a lot and I have not gotten the noro virus while cruising. I am careful about washing my hands and not touching my face. I also was a camp nurse for years and we would always have an outbreak of GI problems (nausea and vomiting and diarrhea) which was most likely noro virus. As the camp nurse, I would strongly recommend serious cleaning of the campers cabins and bathrooms with bleach and for the camp not to re-serve food from the buffet. This GI virus also runs through schools, nursing homes, daycare and any other place that people are together in large numbers. The difference is except for cruise ships nobody else has to report it to the CDC. I think the cruise ships do a remarkable job trying to contain the norovirus once they have an outbreak that most likely one of us brought onboard. My advice, wash your hands frequently, and practice good buffet and bathroom manners which sadly some people don't. And if you get sick... quarantine yourselves.