Cruise from Sydney, can I board in Melbourne?

astera

I am planning on booking a cruise from Sydney but chances are I will be flying in on the morning of the cruise. Should Murphy's Law kick in and delays/cancellations happen, would I still be able to board my cruise in Melbourne instead which is the next stop about 2 days later or have I "missed the boat" completely then?

Thanks for your post. No immigration in this case as I would be flying in from Gold Coast airport.

The main issue is what happens should I miss the boat in Sydney - could I then board the ship in Melbourne?

Buy Princess insurance and they will take care of it for you.

Other insurance may do that as well for "missed" port, but it would be more hassle IMHO.

I don't think Princess insurance is available in Australia.

The simple answer: "Call and ask Princess."

If I wanted to ask Princess direct I would not have posted here. Plain and simple.

Don't trust outsourced call centre staff as much as I value fellow cruisers' opinions and their past experiences in such situations.

Princess does not "outsource" their call centers.

If you miss the ship on your embark date, you'll have to call Princess to make arrangements to join the ship at another port, if possible. You can't just miss the ship and then show up later.

But yes, this would more than likely be an option should you miss the ship.

If something happens and you, God forbid, miss embarking in Sydney, contact Princess ASAP and let them know of your change in plans and when you'll be arriving. There shouldn't be a problem boarding at the next port. Happens all the time. I once was delayed by weather and boarded the ship at the second port. If you have "trip interruption" insurance and submit a claim, you could be reimbursed for expenses and cruise days missed.

Like Pam, I too have been unfortunate enough to have a weather delay cause me to miss embarkation. I notified my TA who notified Princess and was able to fly to and board the ship in the first port of call. Luckily for me, my insurance reimbursed the additional expense of the flight, the overnight in the port and my meals.

On a less serious note, the Gold Coast has my favourite 3-letter airport code in the world... :-)

I think you are worrying unnecessarily, its not like you are flying from Perth to Sydney, or coming in from the US. While I prefer to arrive the day before I have flown in on the same day from Adelaide without any issues.

The only suggestion I would make is that you fly a reputable airline that has multiple flights out of the Gold Coast into Sydney, choose the earliest flight and if there is a problem, you can catch the next, or the one after that and still be in Sydney in time to board the ship.

I am sure you can board in Melbourne if you miss the ship, but Princess might not like it if you do it because you have not left early enough in the morning and cut departure too fine, or don't keep them informed all along the way.

After all if there is such a disaster that no flights from the Gold Coast can leave and get into Sydney by the early to mid afternoon, you won't be the only one missing the ship.

I think you are worrying unnecessarily, its not like you are flying from Perth to Sydney, or coming in from the US. While I prefer to arrive the day before I have flown in on the same day from Adelaide without any issues.

The only suggestion I would make is that you fly a reputable airline that has multiple flights out of the Gold Coast into Sydney, choose the earliest flight and if there is a problem, you can catch the next, or the one after that and still be in Sydney in time to board the ship.

I am sure you can board in Melbourne if you miss the ship, but Princess might not like it if you do it because you have not left early enough in the morning and cut departure too fine, or don't keep them informed all along the way.

After all if there is such a disaster that no flights from the Gold Coast can leave and get into Sydney by the early to mid afternoon, you won't be the only one missing the ship.

Also, at the worst, if the Gold Coast airport is totally closed for some reason, Brisbane airport is only an hour or so away and I understand you can get there by train from the Gold Coast.

Flown plenty of times on the day from Melbourne to Sydney without hitch. If your worried about the flight, go the night before.

Just be aware hotel prices in Sydney, especially the Marriot near Circular Quay are about $460, when I priced a November Thursday night pre-cruise. I am sailing in 2016, was looking for a ball-park figure to assist in my budget calculations for flight and hotel costing. My cousins have since invited me to stay with them for a couple of days pre-cruise which I have delightedly accepted. From the saved money, I am buying my own food, and will give them each a pre-loaded Petrol card-they both drive and work at different places so car-pooling isn't a viable option for them. I will still have about AUD $250 to be used for cruise souvenirs-am looking for a card wallet which will hold 48 cards in pockets that zips up securely. If anyone knows if this is available on board-think the shop is Calypso Cove, but this newbie's out of her depth, and an approximate price even in USD, please could I have the information. I've a good friend who already has 1 and her mother and sister, initially sneered at her buying, "Such a large card wallet!" Well with membership cards, bank cards, store cards, you soon have a regular library in your wallet/handbag. I am managing with smaller, colour metal cases with 7 pockets in each-I have sorted the cards into categories, but plead guilty to forgetting which colour is assigned to which category!:confused:

Thanks Pam and everyone for the kind advice.

My parents spend roughly 1/2 a year in Australia and the other half in Europe (wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out more-or-less which months are spent where :) ), sort of alternating between two homes (and continents).

I want to join them on this cruise but it's meant to be a surprise. Otherwise I would fly in a day early to the family home in Sydney and everything would be settled.

So the plan is to fly in on the day, sometime in the morning, and then have ample time to get to Circular Quay. Everything will be fine 99% of the time, but Gold Coast Airport is still a regional airport (as lovely and unique as it it) and apparently it has no ILS landing system. So bad weather = no planes landing. And no planes landing = no plane for me to board to SYD. There have been weather disruptions in the past that have lasted several hours or more, but of course this is not a likely scenario, just a "what if" type question should I happen to be quite unlucky with the rain gods on the day.

If the proverbial hits the fan, my only other choice of action is to divert to Melbourne and join there, so I just wanted to make sure that this is at all possible and that this is not an absolute no-no from Princess' POV (I noticed you cannot even book this cruise from Melbourne - though I thought that this is probably because they want the ship filled from the first departure port which makes sense).

I am not as worried about the costs as I am about making sure that Princess will simply less us board at the next port of call, which as mentioned is Melbourne. But from the advice provided I take it I won't be left stranded at the terminal with suitcases in hand while the ship sails away several hours later. :)

Thanks Pam and everyone for the kind advice.

My parents spend roughly 1/2 a year in Australia and the other half in Europe (wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out more-or-less which months are spent where :) ), sort of alternating between two homes (and continents).

I want to join them on this cruise but it's meant to be a surprise. Otherwise I would fly in a day early to the family home in Sydney and everything would be settled.

So the plan is to fly in on the day, sometime in the morning, and then have ample time to get to Circular Quay. Everything will be fine 99% of the time, but Gold Coast Airport is still a regional airport (as lovely and unique as it it) and apparently it has no ILS landing system. So bad weather = no planes landing. And no planes landing = no plane for me to board to SYD. There have been weather disruptions in the past that have lasted several hours or more, but of course this is not a likely scenario, just a "what if" type question should I happen to be quite unlucky with the rain gods on the day.

If the proverbial hits the fan, my only other choice of action is to divert to Melbourne and join there, so I just wanted to make sure that this is at all possible and that this is not an absolute no-no from Princess' POV (I noticed you cannot even book this cruise from Melbourne - though I thought that this is probably because they want the ship filled from the first departure port which makes sense).

I am not as worried about the costs as I am about making sure that Princess will simply less us board at the next port of call, which as mentioned is Melbourne. But from the advice provided I take it I won't be left stranded at the terminal with suitcases in hand while the ship sails away several hours later. :)

as i said in post #16 if you call princess they could book you using eZAir with Virgin air and if things happen for the worse they will let you join in Melb

as i said in post #16 if you call princess they could book you using eZAir with Virgin air and if things happen for the worse they will let you join in Melb

You do not have to use EZAir to allow Princess to let you board a missed ship in another port.

However, with EZAir Princess will cover the costs of getting to that next port, at least under USA rules.

Basically, what you'll need to do is contact the en-route assistance number, im the US at 661 284 4410 so that they can let the ship and port know that they will need to process you aboard in Melbourne and so they know that you are not simply a no show

Basically, what you'll need to do is contact the en-route assistance number, im the US at 661 284 4410 so that they can let the ship and port know that they will need to process you aboard in Melbourne and so they know that you are not simply a no show

That's the big thing - letting them know that you aren't a no-show. Either you or your TA will need to advise Princess.

...I am not as worried about the costs as I am about making sure that Princess will simply less us board at the next port of call, which as mentioned is Melbourne. But from the advice provided I take it I won't be left stranded at the terminal with suitcases in hand while the ship sails away several hours later. :)
Without answers to three questions, it is entirely possible you could be left stranded at the terminal with suitcases in hand. There are three main requirements to boarding in a port other than the scheduled departure port. 1. Will the cruiseline allow it? 2. Are there any legal limitations to boarding in a subsequent port? 3. Does the port have the necessary staff to process immigration formalities?

In general, if #2 and #3 are achievable, then the cruiseline generally has no problem with #1. (But, the CBP Manifest regulations in the U.S. increasingly make it onerous on the cruiseline, so more and more deviations are disallowed. Does not apply to a Sydney-Melbourne switch, but one would have to ask Princess if they would allow it.)

The EZAir next port protection option many have referred to, and upon which I think you are relying as advice, does NOT happen in the next port if #2 precludes it; then it happens in the third port, or sometimes the fourth port. In the US, that often happens if the next port is a US Port; the much disliked PVSA regulation. I have no idea, and I suspect most of the other posters don't either, as to what the legal limitations are in Australia. There may be none. While I know you would rather just ask on the cruise board, I did not see any Aussie experts or Australian port experiences in the replies. If you want that answer, it would be good idea to call or write Princess to find out. Either that or research Australian cabotage laws yourself.

As for #3, there are many Princess cruises that will use Melbourne as a departure port in 2016 and 2017, but I don't see many this year, the first being in October. So the answer to number 3 might depend on when your cruise is. Again, your most complete answer will come from Princess, or perhaps the port authorities in Melbourne.