MSC Cruises going after Loyal cruisers on other lines

cle-guy

There may be more, but they're still a minority. So either way (Celebrity or MSC), you'd be casting your net based on an emotional, minority response. Is your viewpoint the same as those in either minority group?

Per customer reviews on CC:

MSC Divina - 61% loved it (worse on other MSC ships)

Celebrity Eclipse - 88% loved it

Significant disparity and the only way I have to judge unless I go on the Divina...which unless I an in Yacht Club will not.

Significant disparity and the only way I have to judge unless I go on the Divina...which unless I an in Yacht Club will not.

As said, still a minority, although more.

There are other ways to judge which I find more useful. Use qualitative data, rather than just numbers. See what the people giving a rating of 1 and 2 are actually giving that rating for. Then consider whether you have the same view as them, and whether that rating is justified.

My guess is the 39% who didn't love Divina are heavily weighed by the early US market break-in, where MSC miscalculated how Americans were attached to water at meals, etc. From my reading, it seems that many of these issues have now been fixed.

1. IMHO comparing MSC and Celebrity is comparing apples with oranges. Carnival, maybe RCCL and Costa (as an also Italian line) would be more suitable.

2. What MSC is doing right now in terms of marketing is outrageous. It´s a slap in the face for all loyal MSC customers - and there are many in Europe. One must wonder why they are so desperate...

Imagine the "revolution" of all Elite and Elite Plus if they were told that from tomorrow on club members of other cruiselines had the same level and benefits - without having cruised with Celebrity once...

It would be a classic here on Cruise Critic ;)

Edited by Miaminice

MSC is NOTHING like Carnival! IMHO, the only cruiseline I would consider as an alternative to MSC is Celebrity. However, I agree with the sentiment regarding the loyalty programme. "A slap in the face" is exactly how it felt when the status match scheme was announced. The benefits at the top level (Black) had been significantly downgraded beforehand so those loyal to another brand at the equivalent level may not be too impressed with what's on offer (though that's not being borne out at present judging from the interest in the scheme being shown on the MSC forum). The biggest impact it will have on MSC loyal customers will be priority boarding and tendering being offered to those who've never sailed MSC before. The other benefits, such as 5% discount on fares and other discounts onboard, don't affect anybody else - only MSC's income.

Having looked at the benefits in the Captain's Club, I can't see much incentive there, either, now that the BBB rates have been introduced. Most of the perks are made redundant - same with booking a higher level cabin.

Edited by Beamafar

can you tell me how to get the match from X Elite to MSC Black when you live in Germany? Didn't find anything on the German MSC website nor in this thread here.

Well, here is where it gets complicated...

In a nutshell: you have to have you TA sned them a proof of your level at the other cruiseline - let´s say Celebrity.

In their own words MSC will accept Club Cards and the like as proof. There is no such thing with Celebrity and most other cruiselines. And no, a SeaPass with your level on it will not be accepted ;-)

Our TA, also active on a German cruise forum, sent a request with excactly that question to MSC and also posted the letter on the forum... Simple question: What else is accepted as proof of your level - screenshot of your account, invoice with level stated on it etc. ?

Up until now, there has been no real response and answer - they don´t know!

Gruß aus dem Süden in den Süden!

Simple question: What else is accepted as proof of your level - screenshot of your account, invoice with level stated on it etc. ?

When we did Divina YC last year, my TA had to send them a copy of my DD214 to verfiy eligibility for the 10% military discount MSC offers. It was processed quickly.

My current understanding of the MSC loyalty-cross-recognition offer is that it applies only to 1st time MSC cruisers.

After over 2 dozen X cruises, I would strongly suggest that those expecting X level experience go only in Yacht Club category. HAPPY CRUISING

After over 2 dozen X cruises, I would strongly suggest that those expecting X level experience go only in Yacht Club category. HAPPY CRUISING

My thinking also...

Which is why I wrote comparing Celebrity with (regular category) MSC is comparing apples with oranges.

Edited by Miaminice

My guess is the 39% who didn't love Divina are heavily weighed by the early US market break-in, where MSC miscalculated how Americans were attached to water at meals, etc. From my reading, it seems that many of these issues have now been fixed.

These problems have been going on for years now. I was recovering from surgery in 2011 and spent a lot of time reading MSC reviews. For the fun of it. No water was nothing compared to some other issues.

For instance a waiter telling a passenger he was too fat to order another desert.

Someone going to guest services and asking to borrow a pen and be told "no" and having the employee turn their back and walk away.

Children completely out of control on "kids sail free" sailings. Naked children in the pool the norm.

And the Captain announcing that he realized there were some people who were unhappy with all the children running amok, but he said that was the Italian way and they were "our future" so "deal with it."

:eek:

These problems have been going on for years now. I was recovering from surgery in 2011 and spent a lot of time reading MSC reviews. For the fun of it. No water was nothing compared to some other issues.

For instance a waiter telling a passenger he was too fat to order another desert.

Someone going to guest services and asking to borrow a pen and be told "no" and having the employee turn their back and walk away.

Children completely out of control on "kids sail free" sailings. Naked children in the pool the norm.

And the Captain announcing that he realized there were some people who were unhappy with all the children running amok, but he said that was the Italian way and they were "our future" so "deal with it."

:eek:

Don´t get me wrong... I am no fan of MSC - however, I think one should be judging by neutral standards and not by horror stories read and not experienced. You can read the same kind of stories about Celebrity - and on all of our Celebrity cruises we never ever encountered any of the things I sometimes read about.

And BTW: MSC is an Italian cruise line. General behaviour with kids is viewed completely different in Italy. Kids naked in the pool is or was considered completely normal in Europe... and so on. When in Rome...

Why would you expect them to change? If you don´t like the style, don´t book MSC.

Have you ever thought about that Europeans consider the way most Americans use their knife and fork bad table manners? Would you change it because of that?

We live in both worlds - and they are different! That´s what makes it interesting!

Edited by Miaminice

In a nutshell: you have to have you TA sned them a proof of your level at the other cruiseline - let´s say Celebrity.

In their own words MSC will accept Club Cards and the like as proof. There is no such thing with Celebrity and most other cruiselines. And no, a SeaPass with your level on it will not be accepted ;-)

Our TA, also active on a German cruise forum, sent a request with excactly that question to MSC and also posted the letter on the forum... Simple question: What else is accepted as proof of your level - screenshot of your account, invoice with level stated on it etc. ?

A Loyalty match is a marketing ploy...they WANT your business and your demographics and will not make it difficult to sign up! All I did was go to the Voyagers Club page on the MSC.us website and fill out a short on-line questionnaire that included my Elite number. It asked if I used a TA but did not request the name, where I wanted to cruise, what type of info I wanted to receive from MSC. Nothing else...no "Proof" whatsoever. I even doubt MSC would have checked with the X CC if I really am a member. About a month after Curt's first post, I received an email with a club number showing a Black card:

In short, MSC Voyagers Club rewards your passion for travel!

We are pleased to confirm you are now a premium member of MSC Voyagers Club and can immediately take advantage of all the benefits reserved for you.

Find attached your Club e-card with your personal number.

This is like people who worry about the "proof" they need for a military discount. Military discounts are used to get rid of remaining unsold inventory...it is not a patriotic gesture from X. I have handed MSC the address of frequent cruisers including its zip code demographics, email and phone ...all for free. Consider the marketing costs that MSC is saving with this match program.

I too have read a lot of the MSC reviews on CC and take the with a huge grain of salt.

Actually, a lot of the "complaints" make me want to give them a go! :) Its a lot of concern from American passengers who are used to everything on board being tailored to Americans.

I have no cruise line loyalty whatsoever. I would be bored to tears going on the same ships, with the same food, same passenger demographic, same activities over and over. I think it would be a great new experience to be the "minority" on board. I see a lot of complaints about announcements in multiple languages, food not the normal as US-based ships, service that is a bit more reserved. All sounds good to me! And their ships are absolutely gorgeous! We are not booked on an MSC ship yet, but are definitely looking into it.

As I posted, there have been issues with MSC for years. It's not just one or two posts.

I've been drawn to the cruiseline, either because of itinerary or because the reviews state the ships are so beautiful. However, I can read a review from 2015 and it's the same as one from 2010 (maybe earlier). North Americans don't like to fight to get a glass of water or a facecloth in their cabin.

I do trust the reviews on Cruise Critic. Some are over the top (both ways), but when a large portion of the reviews complain about the same things over and over and year after year I stay away. As someone posted if you don't like it, don't cruise MSC. I won't.

Maybe the Yacht Club is better.

Danke für die Antwort! Gib mal einen Tipp zu deinem Reisebüro und dem deutschem Forum ;-)

Seems that it is easier from the US/with a US TA... maybe I will give it a try.