Anyone purchase coffee card through princess for long cruise?

AceAnim8r

We are going on princess star for 15 days. Is the coffee card unlimited or do you only get certain amount? How is the coffee on board ship would we even need it?

It is unlimited for fresh brewed only for the entire cruise. Once you use all 15 punches for specialty coffees then the card is is still good on that cruise for the fresh brewed only.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

It is unlimited for fresh brewed only for the entire cruise. Once you use all 15 punches for specialty coffees then the card is is still good on that cruise for the fresh brewed only.

I was under the impression that you had to have at least one unused punch to continue to get the free coffee on the ship you purchased the card. Is that not correct?

I was under the impression that you had to have at least one unused punch to continue to get the free coffee on the ship you purchased the card. Is that not correct?

The card says...."Unused specialty coffees redeemable on next voyage. Complimentary coffee and tea applicable to voyage of purchase".

I guess to be on the safe side one could leave "1" punch unused to endure the free fresh brewed.

No mention of a one punch requirement. As long as the card is dated on the back for your voyage you should be fine. Here is the text

"Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise."

Edited by sknight

On the voyage the card is purchased brewed coffee is unlimited even when out of punches.

You may be thinking of the OLD policy regarding cards from previous voyages that you had to have one punch remaining on those cards to get regular brewed coffee. This was a compromise by Princess as there were a huge number of passengers with unfinished cards due to travel agents offering "buy one get one free" for them (plus the passengers who didn't save them were selling them online). Once those finally faded away Princess instituted the current policy of any old cards that have the voyage number marked on them only being good for remaining punches but not unlimited brewed.

Edited by fishywood

I think that was the case with the old system where people would hang on to an old card with one punch left and use it over and over for the brewed on subsequent voyages. I think it was that practice that led to the new system where you must have the ship and date written on the card. The punches are good until used up no matter the voyage. Seriously, it does take a rocket scientist to keep track of the coffee card rules! :D

On the voyage the card is purchased brewed coffee is unlimited even when out of punches.

You may be thinking of the OLD policy regarding cards from previous voyages that you had to have one punch remaining on those cards to get regular brewed coffee. This was a compromise by Princess as there were a huge number of passengers with unfinished cards due to travel agents offering "buy one get one free" for them (plus the passengers who didn't save them were selling them online). Once those finally faded away Princess instituted the current policy of any old cards that have the voyage number marked on them only being good for remaining punches but not unlimited brewed.

Yep I think you are right.

How is the coffee on board ship would we even need it?

Some say the coffee in the MDRs and the buffet are terrible, some say it is OK. YMMV

DH is the coffee drinker in our house and he says the coffee made from syrup reminds him of Taster's Choice. He has no problem drinking it and we have bought coffee cards several times.

We currently have 2 that still have punches.:D

Some say the coffee in the MDRs and the buffet are terrible, some say it is OK. YMMV

DH is the coffee drinker in our house and he says the coffee made from syrup reminds him of Taster's Choice. He has no problem drinking it and we have bought coffee cards several times.

We currently have 2 that still have punches.:D

We like the DR coffee. The HC not so much.

I think that was the case with the old system where people would hang on to an old card with one punch left and use it over and over for the brewed on subsequent voyages. I think it was that practice that led to the new system where you must have the ship and date written on the card. The punches are good until used up no matter the voyage. Seriously, it does take a rocket scientist to keep track of the coffee card rules! :D

This would appear to be inaccurate as there are many posts by users (pia1913 springs to mind) who purchased their card and nobody wrote the voyage or ship info on the back and the card still works just fine on that cruise.

I wouldn't try to get fresh brewed coffee with a card that already had punches the first day of the cruise but presenting an unpunched card with no voyage info on the back should at the worst end up with someone putting the voyage info on the back of the card which is not a problem at all unless one is trying to game the system.

I have unused coffee cards with no voyage info on them. I intend to use them on my next cruise and will expect the staff to mark them at that time. They certainly better accept them as I have paid for them.

The card says...."Unused specialty coffees redeemable on next voyage. Complimentary coffee and tea applicable to voyage of purchase".

I guess to be on the safe side one could leave "1" punch unused to endure the free fresh brewed.

Or purchase the Ultimate Drink Package.....:D:D:D

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Once those finally faded away Princess instituted the current policy of any old cards that have the voyage number marked on them only being good for remaining punches but not unlimited brewed.

They haven't faded away yet. We used a couple of old cards last month on CB.

This would appear to be inaccurate as there are many posts by users (pia1913 springs to mind) who purchased their card and nobody wrote the voyage or ship info on the back and the card still works just fine on that cruise.

I wouldn't try to get fresh brewed coffee with a card that already had punches the first day of the cruise but presenting an unpunched card with no voyage info on the back should at the worst end up with someone putting the voyage info on the back of the card which is not a problem at all unless one is trying to game the system.

I have unused coffee cards with no voyage info on them. I intend to use them on my next cruise and will expect the staff to mark them at that time. They certainly better accept them as I have paid for them.

The barista is supposed to write the ship name and voyage date on the back of the card. Sometimes they don't do it. The card's punches are good no matter what the name or voyage. What isn't good is the card with a name and voyage written on it being used for free brewed coffee on a subsequent voyage. The fact that Pia has used a card with no writing on it does not negate the fact that the barista is supposed to write the name and voayage date on the card (as evidenced for the place to do so right there on the card itself.) I'm not sure what information I conveyed you think to be inaccurate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shredie viewpost.gif

The barista is supposed to write the ship name and voyage date on the back of the card. Sometimes they don't do it. The card's punches are good no matter what the name or voyage. What isn't good is the card with a name and voyage written on it being used for free brewed coffee on a subsequent voyage. The fact that Pia has used a card with no writing on it does not negate the fact that the barista is supposed to write the name and voayage date on the card (as evidenced for the place to do so right there on the card itself.) I'm not sure what information I conveyed you think to be inaccurate.

I was just stating that saying you must have the info written on the back in order to use the card seemed to be inaccurate. I realize they are supposed to write it. I don't know why they are failing to do so but they should still accept the card when presented. They should add the info at that time but it seems some still aren't doing it.

I wasn't arguing with you, merely clarifying for those who were asking the question as people might not have understood your intention.

I am a little confused. I have never had a coffee card and don't order specialty coffees. But I thought fresh brewed coffee was free on Princess. If I order coffee in the dining room isn't it "fresh brewed"? Or do I get some kind of old coffee and need a coffee card to get the fresh stuff?

I am a little confused. I have never had a coffee card and don't order specialty coffees. But I thought fresh brewed coffee was free on Princess. If I order coffee in the dining room isn't it "fresh brewed"? Or do I get some kind of old coffee and need a coffee card to get the fresh stuff?

It's made from concentrated coffee & brewed coffee is availabie at the International Café by paying for it or using a coffee card punch. Royal-class ships have filtered coffee for free in the buffet.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We find the free DR coffee fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shredie viewpost.gif

I was just stating that saying you must have the info written on the back in order to use the card seemed to be inaccurate. I realize they are supposed to write it. I don't know why they are failing to do so but they should still accept the card when presented. They should add the info at that time but it seems some still aren't doing it.

I wasn't arguing with you, merely clarifying for those who were asking the question as people might not have understood your intention.

They must have the name written on the card according to the rules. That doesn't mean you can't use the card unless the name is there, and I never said anything to the contrary. I did not say one thing that was inaccurate in that first post. The problem with the cards has been the free brewed issue, never the punches. Let's make it more clear:

*You buy card

*You take card to barista (to order something, a latte, let's say).

*Barista takes card.

*Batista writes name and voyage date on back of card on blank provided for that information.

*Barista provides a latte and punches hole in card.

*Barista returns card.

*Later on, you take card back for some fresh-brewed.

*Barista takes card.

*Barista checks card for name and voyage information on back of card.

*Barista sees correct name and voyage.

*Barista provides fresh-brewed coffee and does not punch hole in card.

*Barista returns card.

*You go home with unpunched spots on card.

*You book another cruise.

*You take the previously purchased card to the barista (to order another latte.)

*Barista provides latte and punches another hole in the card you used on the last voyage (because there are places on it left still to punch.)

*Barista returns card.

*Later on, you take card back for some fresh-brewed.

*Barista takes card.

*Barista checks card for name and voyage information on back of card.

*Barista see name and voyage for previous cruise, not current one.

*Barista says, sorry no can do, you have to pay this time.

*Barista returns card.

*You get fresh brewed coffee charges on your Cruise Card, not the punch one.

It's rocket science. :)