Pacific Princess - Am I crazy?

mek

All of the sudden, a great deal has come up on Pacific Princess - 12 nights Hawaii and Tahiti.

I'm a big ship girl and haven't sailed on anything ths small in 30+ years - the itinerary has 5 days at sea. We've done 7 days at sea on a TA, but that was on Liberty OTS, so big ship, lots to do, and that was wonderful. Just a little concerned there might not be enough to keep me entertained on Pacific Princess, so anyone who has done this itinerary, I would appreciate some feedback.

Also, this cruise departs mid September - am I cutting it too short to try to arrange good shore excursions in FP? DH uses a transport chair and can walk short distances, so that limits what we can do and usually requires a little extra planning on my part. We've been to Hawaii several times, so no questions about that- just concerned about the FP part of the trip. If we go, this will be the only time, so I want to get it right.

Oh are you in for a treat! The Pacific Princess is my favorite ship. I have sailed 75 days on her.

The beauty of the small ship is that you get to know your shipmates so much better than on the larger ships. It is so much more personal and relaxed. With only 600 passengers the staff have more time for personal attention. Your husband may be able to get around better because nothing is very far away. The entertainment was voted best on a small ship this year. Maybe they don't have as many restaurants or shops, but the library is the best I have seen on any ship. And with only 600 passengers the little FP ports are not overwhelmed on port days.

The sea days are lovely. You really get a feel for the vastness of the world.

Book it. You won't regret it.

If you found this at a good price I would say grab it fast!!

I love the Pacific Princess ... did 12 days in the Med on her a couple of years ago and was so sad when the cruise was over. Also have done a 10 day cruise around FP on the Tahitian (now Ocean) Princess and was so wowed ... by both the ship and the South Pacific islands of FP.

One of the best things about the "little girls" are the shows in the Cabaret Lounge. You sit up close to the performers, rather than them being up on a stage, and it is a unique feeling. I loved it!!

Wish I could take advantage of whatever the deal you found, but I have something else already booked. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

You're not crazy and we had the same concerns about the small ship as you do before we sailed on her last fall. My blog (below) starting Odtober 19 2014 has lots of info and thoughts about the ship and the French Polynesian ports. We loved both, and had the best time we've ever had on a cruise.

My only concern would be your husband's ability to use the tenders. Maui, Bora Bora, Moorea and Huahine are all tender ports. Many of the French Polynesian activities revolve around boats and water, though it is certainly possible to find land based excursions in each port. Don't worry about excursions; you can pick up island tours right on the pier on all the islands.

It may be the last time a Princess ship visits Raiatea and Huahine; the larger ships do stop at Tahiti. Bora Bora and Moorea, but even Moorea and Bora Bora are overwhelmed by the bigger ships. I'd say go for it.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Several times, we had 6 straight sea days on the Oceans Princess (sister of Pacific). It was wonderful. It is on these cruises that the CD earns their keep. The Roll Call can also be helpful as they are often arranging events too.

Crazy for booking on Pacific Princess....NOT

Crazy for not saying on board for the first 10 day cruise around FP once you get there...YES. Geneally an expensive flight in and out of FP and you only get a taste of FP on this cruise unless you stay for awhile afterwards.

We flew to Papeete last year and did the 10 day FP isands cuise, stayed on for the 12 day FP to Hawaii and then had them take us home to Vancouver for another 10 days. A great 32 day trip.

Terry

Have you priced out the air? Could be a deal breaker

Yes - already aware of what the air is to that part of the world.

Edited by mek

You're not crazy and we had the same concerns about the small ship as you do before we sailed on her last fall. My blog (below) starting Odtober 19 2014 has lots of info and thoughts about the ship and the French Polynesian ports. We loved both, and had the best time we've ever had on a cruise.

My only concern would be your husband's ability to use the tenders. Maui, Bora Bora, Moorea and Huahine are all tender ports. Many of the French Polynesian activities revolve around boats and water, though it is certainly possible to find land based excursions in each port. Don't worry about excursions; you can pick up island tours right on the pier on all the islands.

It may be the last time a Princess ship visits Raiatea and Huahine; the larger ships do stop at Tahiti. Bora Bora and Moorea, but even Moorea and Bora Bora are overwhelmed by the bigger ships. I'd say go for it.

DH is able to use tenders and short walking/a few stairs are not a problem. His transport chair folds and we have used it on tenders in the Caribbean many times.

I'm a little concerned that most activities involve water and ATV's - he can't swim anymore and anything on a rough road won't work. But we do enjoy sightseeing and beach time works just fine, so as long as we can do those types of tours, we'll be good. It's great to know tours can be booked on the pier. The only thing I want to do that probably won't work for him is the picnic lunch in the water. Not sure he could make it out to one of the chairs - although they don't look like they're too far from the shore.

Crazy for booking on Pacific Princess....NOT

Crazy for not saying on board for the first 10 day cruise around FP once you get there...YES. Geneally an expensive flight in and out of FP and you only get a taste of FP on this cruise unless you stay for awhile afterwards.

We flew to Papeete last year and did the 10 day FP isands cuise, stayed on for the 12 day FP to Hawaii and then had them take us home to Vancouver for another 10 days. A great 32 day trip.

Terry

That sounds wonderful, but I still work - sigh..... Love my job, so not complaining and I get a lot of vacation time, but I'm in management and it's really difficult to take off more than a couple of consecutive weeks at a time.

The Pacific Princess is the best ship in the fleet. :D You will not be bored. The CD staff is all over the place doing activities. If you want to sit and watch the water, there are several excellent spots for doing that. The Lido buffet has a magnificent view and an open deck out back for dining in the open air. The library is amazingly beautiful with lots of books and board games available. I remember a puzzle going on at one table where anyone was welcome to stop by and try a hand at it. There is a serious possibility Princess might sell the ship, so I say go while you can.

The only thing I want to do that probably won't work for him is the picnic lunch in the water. Not sure he could make it out to one of the chairs - although they don't look like they're too far from the shore.

Patrick's tour with a motu picnic on Bora Bora (check out your roll call. I'm sure he has at least two boats going the day the Pacific Princess is in port) requires that your husband can step down into the boat and up out of it onto a dock. The snorkel activities might not be possible for him because they require climbing a ladder back into the boat. But the picnic tables n the water are only in about a foot of water.

Marc on Huahine also has tables in the water. On his tour, once the boat arrives at the motu for lunch, you step out of it directly into the water (not onto a dock). If he can manage getting in and out of the boat from either a dock or a beach, he can simply go along for the ride and enjoy the motu lunches on the tables in the water.

The water in the lagoons tends to be fairly calm. And in Bora Bora it is baby bath warm, and in places the sand is as smooth as cornstarch.

In Papeete the marketplace is fun to do and it is just a short walk from the pier. The sidewalks are old and a tad choppy, but doable.

The motu picnic in Huahine that the ship tour does is very good. He would have to climb out of the boat and back in, but dining in the water is just amazing. I would recommend investing in a long sleeved light colored rash guard, or being zealous about sun block.

I have done Patrick's tour in Bora Bora three times, and never been disappointed.

The ship may have some bus tours of the islands, and there is always a little market set up near where the ship docks.

Just a little concerned there might not be enough to keep me entertained on Pacific Princess, so anyone who has done this itinerary, I would appreciate some feedback.

Oh don't worry about having enough to keep you entertained. There are things to do during the day and there is always a trivia game happening somewhere.

Terry

Our regret was not tagging on the 10 days at the beginning of our FP adventure in April 2014. If you are able to do it, do but not everyone has the flexibility with work commitments. This trip was my first experience on a little one and it was fantastic. I have to say it has been my most favourite cruise I have taken and a large part of that had to do the ship and crew. They were amazing!

Edited by Tweedy

Thanks everyone for your responses - much appreciated! I had a 24 hour hold put on this cruise yesterday, but I have decided for several reasons that this simply isn't the cruise for us at this time. Despite the reassurances, I really don't want that many consecutive sea days in a row on a small ship and I'm concerned about my husband and activities in FP and the very long flight coming home - not convinced he can do that anymore.

Will keep on looking - something great always pops up!

• 4 weeks later...

For those reading this thread(sorry MEK cannot do it), I want to tell you all that the Pacific and the Ocean Princess are the same type ships(all were owned by Renissance Cruise Lines that sold all 5 of their ships in 2003) that Oceania(has 2) and Azamara(has 1) use on their cruises and the ships are wonderful except bathrooms(less than a suite) are small, but least of your worries. Oceania and Azamara are considered two of the best cruise lines and much more expensive. We have cruised on both and cannot complain. I think that anyone thinking about these ships should definitely consider it. We will have 5 sea days on our Sept. 7 cruise on the Pacific from Vancouver to Honolulu. Never did more than 2 sea days, but we did not hesitate booking the cruise when they offered a great price.

If there is ever an itinerary that works out for us on this ship we will definitely book. I have only ever heard rave reviews.

It, along with the Ocean and the previous Royal Princess are all great ships for any itinerary they are on.