How to dress for MDR (teens/tweens)

Hey MaisyM, I think we are going on the same cruise in December 2016..For my grandson, I always pack three dress khakis..Black/brown/navy..Then lots of shirts to mix and match with endless possibilities. I usually reserve the black pants for the formal nights and choose 2 dress shirts with matching ties. The brown and navy pants, I alternate the casual nights with cotton button shirts or polos. The very first night for dinner is pretty laid back and isnt a big deal what you wear. My guys (men folk) usually wear what ever we boarded in as we have first seating. It's always us gals that have to change and can't be seen in the same thing...lol:D

Yes! You can see me go through my trial run on Oasis, then we can share Harmony together :)

I understand it's not complicated, but I ask because dress codes in other situations (not cruise) tend to change a bit when dealing with kids. Either way, I intend to follow the suggested/required guidelines and will be shopping up before Spring. We had a dry run last night with a wedding and I noticed some of the smaller things (belt, black socks...) that I will need to buy in addition to shirts and pants. The planner in me wants to get it now but they may very well grow out of it by then.

Thanks to the other mom/relatives to boys that can relate. My boys won't grumble, but I just wanted to know if I should go out and buy a few mix/match outfits. Many thanks!

When we took our "young men" if it was a warm cruise one pair of pants and a few polos or button downs, now we did get into the formal wear as I purchased them tuxes, just something I wanted to do because I never had girls, and wanted all my men to pose for formal photos and the easiest way was to get them on a ship.LOL

But this was 7 years ago and so much has changed on cruise lines.

But really, your guys will be in board shorts all day long, so honestly you can get by with very little.

But, this is my suggestion for some of your packing list:

2pts. 1 light, 1 dark(for formal nights)(either pair can be worn on the plane) Often after all day in the sun and water it's nice to have a pair of long pants for the evening so you are not chilled.

3 polos or button down(print can hide stains)

1 shorts

1 rash guard...which will probably be worn the most, but easy to rinse every night and will be dry by morning

2 board shorts.... can be worn on all excursions as shorts and again easy rinse and dry

2 t shirts at the most(shirts used in the evening can be used during the day)

hoodie

Don't worry about small stains, or bring the stick as another poster mentioned.

I don't know about you but I enjoyed seeing my sons when they were young being a little more "formal", I know they certainly got the compliments.

BTW DH & I always change out of our formal wear, because I like to gamble in the evening and the smoke smell often sticks to formal attire.

Also I might mention that I am the leave it lady. If the boys have some items you are ready to discard or are being close to be out grown bring them use them one last time and leave them.....I do the same for my DH and me.

Thank you for the detailed list and understanding of having boys. My boys were dressed up for a wedding last night (only one in a sports coat) and they looked nice. I agree that it's good to see them dressed up.

This is a genuine question - if Disney suits you better why are you spending your money with Royal Caribbean? You mentioned earlier being irritated when packing, this doesn't seem a great way to start a vacation!

What's not a great way to prep for a vacation is spending anymore time reading this thread with its preponderance of condescending fashion police, talking down to others they don't even know as if they are children. Enjoy your formal dress and I do hope my family doesn't manage to ruin anyone else's vacation with our inferior attire!

DCL is great. In this instance it is a large group of my extended family members going and I didn't book it. However, I would never let a stupid dining room rule sway my decision either way. We will abide by the guideline because we are rule followers, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I am certain that I am in the majority who wants to relax and enjoy their vacation! I dress up every day for work and have no intention of worrying about how I look to others while on the cruise.

Thank you for the detailed list and understanding of having boys. My boys were dressed up for a wedding last night (only one in a sports coat) and they looked nice. I agree that it's good to see them dressed up.

I think social events, traveling to other countries, as well as cruises are such wonderful experiences for "young" men...I know it helped build my 3 son's confidence, who all happened to be introverts. Unfortunately, our family vacations ended quickly when sports, school and friends were more important than traveling with M&D. Enjoy.....

Edited by land lover

What's not a great way to prep for a vacation is spending anymore time reading this thread with its preponderance of condescending fashion police, talking down to others they don't even know as if they are children. Enjoy your formal dress and I do hope my family doesn't manage to ruin anyone else's vacation with our inferior attire!

DCL is great. In this instance it is a large group of my extended family members going and I didn't book it. However, I would never let a stupid dining room rule sway my decision either way. We will abide by the guideline because we are rule followers, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I am certain that I am in the majority who wants to relax and enjoy their vacation! I dress up every day for work and have no intention of worrying about how I look to others while on the cruise.

I'm not sure if the first part of your response is directed to me or generally to 'people on this board' but it certainly seems that you're quite animated about this issue, which I why I was wondering what factors made you book Royal when it doesn't seem to suit you. Different lines cater to different tastes and I personally wouldn't spend my hard earned money with a line that didn't cater to my needs or had rules that I thought were stupid.

In this case obviously you're choosing the family element as being more important to you, and that makes sense. Again, it seems to be really coloring the experience for you though - I hope you're able to let go of that and enjoy your family time.

Edited by BekkaW

there are also lightweight slacks( linen, and tropic weight) that negate the 'its too hot' argument.

I was quite hot in linen slacks in the MDR of the Legend. Wish I wasnt. But I was.

Temps my wife is comfortable at I feel hot and uncomfortable. Temps I am comfortable at my wife would be shivering.

You and your family are most welcome at our table where we will all dine in comfort and have a nice time.

Yes! You can see me go through my trial run on Oasis, then we can share Harmony together :)

I understand it's not complicated, but I ask because dress codes in other situations (not cruise) tend to change a bit when dealing with kids. Either way, I intend to follow the suggested/required guidelines and will be shopping up before Spring. We had a dry run last night with a wedding and I noticed some of the smaller things (belt, black socks...) that I will need to buy in addition to shirts and pants. The planner in me wants to get it now but they may very well grow out of it by then.

Thanks to the other mom/relatives to boys that can relate. My boys won't grumble, but I just wanted to know if I should go out and buy a few mix/match outfits. Many thanks!

You may want to check out some local consignment stores/events in your area. I have seen quite a few nice pants for young men and even some shirts and jackets. Agree not to spend a lot of money on items that will not be worn a lot before outgrown. Local uniform companies and even golf stores may have some pants on sale at the end of the seasons.

You may want to check out some local consignment stores/events in your area. I have seen quite a few nice pants for young men and even some shirts and jackets. Agree not to spend a lot of money on items that will not be worn a lot before outgrown. Local uniform companies and even golf stores may have some pants on sale at the end of the seasons.

Right. My son needed a sports coat in a pinch for a forensics state meet and I had to buy one quickly. It turned out that Target had one that did the job. Granted, it's not super formal, but he is a growing teen and I didn't want to spend too much. It does the job just fine.

Edited by MaiseyM

Right. My son needed a sports coat in a pinch for a forensics state meet and I had to buy one quickly. It turned out that Target had one that did the job. Granted, it's not super formal, but he is a growing teen and I didn't want to spend too much. It does the job just fine.

Clearance racks at Kohl's are also a good place to check. I have gotten things for $4 and less at times.

You and your family are most welcome at our table where we will all dine in comfort and have a nice time.

Thank you! I sincerely appreciate the kind thought and I hope we do someday!

I'm sorry I was grouchy in my posts. The thing is- I'm recently learning- people can and do complain about all sorts of things on cruise critic: the lobster isn't good, the balcony doesn't have enough chairs, the lounge is too small, the drinks are too expensive. But when someone dares to express dissatisfaction with the dining room dress guidelines, all of a sudden they are a class-less person who doesn't give a fig about anyone else and can't even raise their children with manners! What is this- some holdover from a century ago when people accepted a class-based society?

I am confident that in my entire lifetime (including my years as a parent) I have never offended anyone with my attire. Furthermore, it is way more important to know that my family's behavior is not disrespectful or rude in any way.

The suggestions that my pubescent boys should simply just wear the same two (stained? Sweaty?) pieces of clothing over and over all week long just to satisfy the "letter of the law" dining room guideline, is frankly quite silly. Instead, if the guideline was changed, they could easily and comfortably wear a fresh clean outfit each night, and be cool and comfortable in some dressy shorts and decent lightweight shirt.

BTW, my family cannot simply go to the Windjammer. In fact, due to our severe food allergies, the cruise lines always suggest we not use the buffet. Again, I'm simply hoping RCI will drop the dress guidelines soon. Those of you who enjoy dressing up can continue to do so and the rest of us who don't can wear shorts and we can all be happy and dine together!!

[quote name=clawmachine;

I have three growing kids and their pants size/style changes at least twice a year. We should not be required to buy special clothes just to go on vacation. With the exception of band performances and high school graduation' date=' there isn't even one single requirement in school to wear pants. Here in MD there are very, very few restaurants of any price range that do not allow nice shorts at dinner during summer. Disney moved to allow shorts many years ago. Still hoping RCI follows suit soon.[/quote]

What your boys wear in the DR doesn't bother me - doesn't interfere with my dinner or cruise.

However I disagree about your comments in general about dress. My kids and now grandkids have to wear twill/cotton type pants to school. No jeans unless it is a dress down day. They attend a private school. They are allowed dress shorts in very hot weather towards the end or beginning of the school year. They also wear long pants to weddings, funerals, country club functions, job interviews, many extra curricular school functions. They are learning about what society expects of them. I just can't imagine that you would consider long pants special clothes!

My family also cruises Disney and wears shorts in the DR. Until RC changes the "rules" we will continue to dress according to the requested dress code without getting upset or thinking special purchases are required.

Linen pants? For a tween boy? In 2015? I don't think they even sell those!

I have three growing kids and their pants size/style changes at least twice a year. We should not be required to buy special clothes just to go on vacation. With the exception of band performances and high school graduation, there isn't even one single requirement in school to wear pants. Here in MD there are very, very few restaurants of any price range that do not allow nice shorts at dinner during summer. Disney moved to allow shorts many years ago. Still hoping RCI follows suit soon.

Our sons were in band in High School. They had tuxedos for concerts and we brought them with us.

OK, I feel like I have general sense of what to wear for MDR nights. In short, I prefer to follow the suggestions and keep it on the more formal side, as requested. That said, I have kids who will be 13, 11, and 10. On non-formal nights, should they be wearing pants as well (no nicer shorts)? What about shirts on those nights? I assume they can wear a short sleeve with a collar. ??

Any other tips on trying to stick with their rules/suggestions? TIA.

Which ship will you be on? Freedom is pretty laid back. They even push the suggested attire sign off into a corner.

1438541838946.jpg.cb0a3fd6f0d0729cae69a0897fc214af.jpg

1438541856134.jpg.cf126cad20f98289e96453f310f49a5d.jpg

:D

On non-formal nights, should they be wearing pants as well (no nicer shorts)? What about shirts on those nights?

Yes. They should definitely wear pants. Shirts are a nice touch too. :D

(sorry. I just couldn't resist . . . :cool:)

It seems as though everyone is missing my point. Of course my children wear pants, in the cold months, at funerals, weddings, ceremonies, you name it. It is not necessary for me to justify my opinion, though I feel I have been forced to do so. My opinion, whether you care for it or not, is that a cruise ship in the tropics during the hot summer, where people have spent thousands to be on VACATION, is no place to mandate long pants, particularly on children.

You all are quite free to feel differently. I will just continue to hope that the MDR rule sign is eventually put away completely. Until then we will abide by the rules, as we do in all areas of life.

It seems as though everyone is missing my point. Of course my children wear pants, in the cold months, at funerals, weddings, ceremonies, you name it. It is not necessary for me to justify my opinion, though I feel I have been forced to do so. My opinion, whether you care for it or not, is that a cruise ship in the tropics during the hot summer, where people have spent thousands to be on VACATION, is no place to mandate long pants, particularly on children.

You all are quite free to feel differently. I will just continue to hope that the MDR rule sign is eventually put away completely. Until then we will abide by the rules, as we do in all areas of life.

Don't stress. Kids dressed cleanly in nice shorts aren't going to be a problem. Some people here are a bit dramatic about it. Go enjoy your vacation.

I completely agree with you. You do need to stop arguing with the other posters though. They are convinced that their opinion is correct, and will try to insinuate that you are less of a parent because you disagree with them. By the way, we don't follow this particular rule and have never had a problem with it. In our experience, RCI does not enforce it.

I don't see any value in being a blind rule-follower. I follow rules when they makes sense and don't when they don't make sense. God gave people brains for a reason. If they actually enforced this rule then we would weigh the value of an MDR dinner vs the uncomfortableness of shorts, but so far this issue has not presented itself anywhere other than here on CC.

People are just stating their opinion, just as you have. The cruise line requests no shorts at dinner, so we don't wear shorts at dinner. We aren't blind rule followers as another poster suggested, but we really don't see it as a big issue to throw on a pair of pants for a shorts amount of time.

Do what works for your family.

... My opinion, whether you care for it or not, is that a cruise ship in the tropics during the hot summer, where people have spent thousands to be on VACATION, is no place to mandate long pants, particularly on children...

I am in agreement with you. Some folks on these boards spend way too much time telling others what they should or should not wear.

The planner in me couldn't help myself today. I found Uniform pants (Tan, light tan, black, blue) on sale today. I bought about 6 pairs since they were on sale. I figured they are more likely to be on sale now vs. Easter. I need about 3-4 more pairs, but I'm holding off on those since I know this particular child will need to be fitted closer to Cruise time. I was going to hold off but the sale caught my attention and the planner in me needs to know I'm on my way to being ready.

John&LaLa: Oasis in March, Harmony a few months later.

I am in agreement with you. Some folks on these boards spend way too much time telling others what they should or should not wear.

A 14 - 15 yr old teenage boy can easily be 6ft tall, not a child by any standards!

A 14 - 15 yr old teenage boy can easily be 6ft tall, not a child by any standards!

Well, certainly by legal standards, but who is counting?

Besides, we're talking about family vacation wear...:rolleyes: